PDA

View Full Version : SEC Defenses Didn't Show

BLC
01-02-2015, 02:21 AM
It is often posted on this board that the SEC defenses are vastly superior and that's the big difference when comparing conferences. This year, at least, that doesn't appear to be anywhere near the case. 10 games in, average points against nearly 30. Average yards given up over 420. Team's record in SEC victories = 36-29. I love the playoff because it will force a better comparison of team's across the country. Lastly, once again, there will be zero Pac-12 vs. SEC bowl games. Silly.

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 02:50 AM
I think a lot of that is because you have a lot of people in the SEC that are trying to copy what Saban does without Alabama talent, instead of utilizing what they have.

There aren't really any mad scientist Joe Lee Dunn types that I can think of in the SEC right now. Wommack is probably the closest that I can think of, and you look at what they did this year on defense. And yeah, I know Peach Bowl.

But there are more John Chavis, Ellis Johnson, etc. types out there right now than anything.

Irondawg
01-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Well there was a lot of coaching turmoil in the SEC as well and I think that had a lot to do with it. For those that lost, MSU, LSU and Auburn both lost winnable games but didn't have a defensive coordinator (or had one that was one foot out the door).

I will give you that we did not look as physically dominate in a as many games as we have in the past overall.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2015, 10:38 AM
Well there was a lot of coaching turmoil in the SEC as well and I think that had a lot to do with it. For those that lost, MSU, LSU and Auburn both lost winnable games but didn't have a defensive coordinator (or had one that was one foot out the door).

I will give you that we did not look as physically dominate in a as many games as we have in the past overall.

This

I'm not saying this was the only reason, but you have to believe things would have been at least slightly better if MSU, LSU, and Auburn would have had their defensive coordinators.

BLC
01-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Colin on the Herd had an interesting comment that Todd Blackledge agreed with. The way offenses play now, D-lines are somewhat less important. Meaning, the previously dominant SEC defensive lines are no longer as relevant. It's a LB and DB world now and you need D-lineman who can move into coverage if necessary. On another note, I think the committee got the right teams into the playoffs, although I would have liked to see TCU in instead of FSU, but that wasn't going to happen.

basedog
01-02-2015, 11:11 AM
It's the era of the offenses, defenses will catch up just like it did with the wishbone, veer and run and shoot.

War Machine Dawg
01-02-2015, 11:23 AM
It's the era of the offenses, defenses will catch up just like it did with the wishbone, veer and run and shoot.

You're dreaming. The rules weren't changed to favor the offenses during those periods. The NFL rules are slowly trickling down to college, as they always do. And the concerns of "player safety" above all weren't an issue, either. The days of defenses being able to play real defense are basically done. It'll be flag football in 15-20 years.

Really Clark?
01-02-2015, 11:44 AM
You're dreaming. The rules weren't changed to favor the offenses during those periods. The NFL rules are slowly trickling down to college, as they always do. And the concerns of "player safety" above all weren't an issue, either. The days of defenses being able to play real defense are basically done. It'll be flag football in 15-20 years.

Well you are right as far as rules go. But it was still the best defense that won the Super Bowl last year. Not offense. And look who have been playing in the NFC and AFC title games the last two years. Has it not been mainly the premiere defenses in the NFL with the exception of Denver.

Irondawg
01-02-2015, 11:50 AM
I'll agree that DB's are the big key now but you still need to be able to contain inside runs so a good DL is still critical. But more and more offenses are designed trying to make DB's tackle in space. Think back on all the big plays we gave up this year and how many involved a missed tackle (or two or three) by a DB?

The ability to tackle in space might even be more important than pure cover skills now with so many short throws.

msstate7
01-02-2015, 11:54 AM
This

I'm not saying this was the only reason, but you have to believe things would have been at least slightly better if MSU, LSU, and Auburn would have had their defensive coordinators.

Wisconsin was without their HC.

Lsu had their DC

We had a month to get ready for the option and couldn't do it. If Collins was the only defensive coach we had that could prepare us, then it's time to clean house on the defensive side. We looked like crap on defense against a pathetic offense in OM with our DC.

All of this is just excuses. We got beat fair and square. Time to go into the offseason with the intention of getting better and stop making excuses

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Wisconsin was without their HC.

Lsu had their DC

We had a month to get ready for the option and couldn't do it. If Collins was the only defensive coach we had that could prepare us, then it's time to clean house on the defensive side. We looked like crap on defense against a pathetic offense in OM with our DC.

All of this is just excuses. We got beat fair and square. Time to go into the offseason with the intention of getting better and stop making excuses

Not disagreeing, and I'm not making an excuse. Just simply saying that it wasn't ideal.