PDA

View Full Version : Any chance we get Malik Newman to sign with State...

fishwater99
06-19-2013, 09:34 AM
We need to give Horatio a job or something.

Newman was named the MVP of the U16 FIBA team.

https://www.clarionledger.com/article/20130619/SPORTS06/306190033/Callaway-s-Newman-adding-his-honors

Bo Darville
06-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Chance - yes
Percentage of that chance - probably 10% or less

Coach34
06-19-2013, 10:36 AM
I dont think so and I dont think it has anything to do with Ray- he's actually improved our chances. But I think Horatio simply wants his son to play for one of the big boys.

Coastdog28
06-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Is this total speculation or have you actually heard this? It seems as though it's been fairly quiet with him. I really wish we could start landing some higher rated basketball recruits.

engie
06-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Malik is a one-yr guy no matter where he goes...

My question is -- why not State?

Coastdog28
06-19-2013, 11:03 AM
I agree, but signing Malik (who will most likely be the #1 player in 2015) would durastically help the program not only on the floor but from a recruiting standpoint.

Coach34
06-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Is this total speculation or have you actually heard this? It seems as though it's been fairly quiet with him. I really wish we could start landing some higher rated basketball recruits.

I heard from somebody close to the situation over a year ago that there was no way in Hell Webster would let his son play for Stands. So just having Ray here helps in that regard. The rest is just speculation on my part from what I've observed. There's even rumors Newman may transfer to a nationally known basketball HS. The whole feel of it is that they want to be in a top 10 program to maximize possible draft potential.

I think Ray is doing a decent job so far. His 2 most recent commits are pretty good and will be more highly rated in time. We arent going to be playing the bidding game- so you can stop hoping for alot of these hotshot Pre-Madonna AAU-types that we have brought in over the last 7-8 years

Raytoraid83
06-19-2013, 05:36 PM
I heard from somebody close to the situation over a year ago that there was no way in Hell Webster would let his son play for Stands. So just having Ray here helps in that regard. The rest is just speculation on my part from what I've observed. There's even rumors Newman may transfer to a nationally known basketball HS. The whole feel of it is that they want to be in a top 10 program to maximize possible draft potential.

I think Ray is doing a decent job so far. His 2 most recent commits are pretty good and will be more highly rated in time. We arent going to be playing the bidding game- so you can stop hoping for alot of these hotshot Pre-Madonna AAU-types that we have brought in over the last 7-8 years

Which is why many people don't think Ray will be able to recruit at Mississippi State. Name one successful major conference basketball program that hasn't taken a chance on an AAU player. I cant think of any that had repeated success.

engie
06-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Which is why many people don't think Ray will be able to recruit at Mississippi State. Name one successful major conference basketball program that hasn't taken a chance on an AAU player. I cant think of any that had repeated success.

Where the heck did anyone say or imply that "we weren't going to take any chances on an AAU player"?

There are a BUNCH of programs that make deep runs in the postseason every single year that don't even attempt to recruit top 100 hotshot prima donnas. Those programs have a system in place of hard work, player development, and team basketball -- they recruit to that -- and they routinely go farther in the tournament than we have in the past 17 years.

Since 98:
Xavier - 5 Sweet 16 -- 2 Elite 8s
Gonzaga - 5 Sweet 16 -- 1 Elite 8
Butler - 4 Sweet 16 -- 2 Elite 8s -- 2 Final 4s -- 2 championship games
Wichita St - 2 Sweet 16s -- 1 Elite 8 -- 1 final 4

The simple fact of the matter is that there are only TWELVE Major Conference teams with a longer postseason impotence than our current one in terms of Sweet 16 appearances.
Last Sweet 16 appearance:
n/a - Northwestern
n/a - Nebraska
n/a - South Florida
n/a - Arizona St
1960 - California
1963 - Colorado
1967 - Va Tech
1973 - South Carolina
1979 - Rutgers
1982 - Oregon St
1987 - Depaul
1995 - Virginia
1996 - MSU
1996 - Arkansas
1996 - Georgia
1997 - Clemson
1997 - Minnesota
1997 - Providence

Raytoraid83
06-19-2013, 06:47 PM
He's been quoted as saying he's going to stay away from most of the high profile AAU guys. One reason for that- we aren't cheating in basketball anymore. Ole Miss took a chance on Henderson and it worked out for the best for them. Am I saying we need to take a chance on players on the same level of Henderson. HELL NO. Even Stansbury wouldn't touch him. I do think you cant win in a major conference without bending the rules at least a little bit and taking a chance on a Charles Rhodes just to name one example. I hope Ray succeeds but the jury is still out. If he keeps getting the team to play hard and is a good X's and O's guy, that can cover up some talent issues. But bottom line is you gotta have players to make the tournament and to make a run. Next year we will have a much better feel for the direction the program is headed.