PDA

View Full Version : My take on Dan Mullen so far.

BoomBoom
01-01-2015, 02:52 PM
There's a fine line between determination, and stubbornness. Without a strong stubborn streak, a coach could never reach or succeed at this level. It takes years to implement a scheme, and you have to endure a lot of criticism before you get there. But too much stubbornness, and at this level teams will constantly take advantage of the same minor flaws, and at this level minor things like that determine the outcome. So far, Mullen has been pretty far over the line, stubborn as a Mule. It has paid off on offense in general (even there it has hurt us in some games, as we stubbornly keep to a gameplan that isn't working), but has hurt us on Special Teams and Defense and Personnel. It is the limiting factor to his success, not recruiting and not staff. Whether we can be a better team or not depends on if can learn to recognize when he is wrong in these areas, and adjust. And not just season to season, at this level that recognition and adjustment must take place week to week. He's not a good in-game coach, but that's not going to change. With that, he can't afford to not correct flaws week to week.

If Mullen can't improve in this area, then this season was our peak. We are not going to win 11 games playing in the SECW letting teams exploit the same flaws week after week (or month to month this season), no matter how well we recruit, or who our assistants are.

gravedigger
01-01-2015, 05:29 PM
There's a fine line between determination, and stubbornness. Without a strong stubborn streak, a coach could never reach or succeed at this level. It takes years to implement a scheme, and you have to endure a lot of criticism before you get there. But too much stubbornness, and at this level teams will constantly take advantage of the same minor flaws, and at this level minor things like that determine the outcome. So far, Mullen has been pretty far over the line, stubborn as a Mule. It has paid off on offense in general (even there it has hurt us in some games, as we stubbornly keep to a gameplan that isn't working), but has hurt us on Special Teams and Defense and Personnel. It is the limiting factor to his success, not recruiting and not staff. Whether we can be a better team or not depends on if can learn to recognize when he is wrong in these areas, and adjust. And not just season to season, at this level that recognition and adjustment must take place week to week. He's not a good in-game coach, but that's not going to change. With that, he can't afford to not correct flaws week to week.

If Mullen can't improve in this area, then this season was our peak. We are not going to win 11 games playing in the SECW letting teams exploit the same flaws week after week (or month to month this season), no matter how well we recruit, or who our assistants are.

Absof'nlutely

I see this everyday in my industry. Strong leadership is so often tied to myopia. People like mullen are able to convey their vision and employ it with almost obsessive confidence, only to demonstrate that they are incapable of adapting to necessary changes. We, as onlookers help perpetuate it too. Any leader who adjusts their way of thinking we label a flip flopper or indecisive.

What mullen needs is a second in command that he can trust that wont pull any punches when its time for strategy changes.

I also think "i seen it dawg" is spot on when he says mullen needs to hire a dc and then Get out of his way.

If we do hire orgeron, he'll have to have the autonomy to be as crazy as his personality

CadaverDawg
01-01-2015, 05:35 PM

Good post. I agree.

Todd4State
01-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Anyone know why Bear Bryant was able to have the time to go sell Alabama football to factory workers and school children throughout Alabama? Because he let his freaking coaches DO THEIR JOB!

A lot of people don't realize this, but Bryant had an awesome DC that he got from MSU named Ken Donahue. He was the DC for us when we went to the Liberty Bowl in 1963 and it was his defense that became the dominant defense that Alabama had in the 1970's. We all know about Jackie and Joe Lee Dunn. They didn't always get along, but they played off of each other.

Dan needs a DC that can play off of what he does, and I hope that's Orgeron.

archdog
01-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Dan overall is fine. When he gets the o rolling it is a thing of beauty. Its as you said, when adjustments need to be made and when the d has figured us out it seems as if we will not adjust and execute to a high level. Dak played a great game yesterday, but our attack lacked diversity. The arangement of play calls was very predictable inside the 30.

We have been discussing this time and again, but in all three losses our oline got zero push. A bad oline play makes everything look bad. From coaching down to play selection. The issue yesterday was fundamentals and assignments on d. O played pretty good considering our oline was getting dominated.

We need new energy on d. Our talent wasn't optimised in the last 8 games of the season. Just looked slow and flat. Safeties need some new direction. If Mullen is involved on d like everyone suggest, maybe its time to get an equal compliment to coach that side of the ball.

All in all we were so close. Lost 2 games we had no business losing. Poor defensive strategy. Effort was there, but effort without execution doesn't do too much. And that is on the coaches.

codeDawg
01-01-2015, 08:52 PM

TLDR;

Mullen is the best coach in the history of this school besides Allyn McKeen and maybe Jackie Sherrell. We just had one of the best seasons in school history, and you guys want him to run him out of town because his adjustments are not ideal. Get real people.

Mullen is not the same coach he was when he got here. We are not the same school, and that's because of what Dan has done here.

maroonmania
01-01-2015, 09:18 PM
TLDR;

Mullen is the best coach in the history of this school besides Allyn McKeen and maybe Jackie Sherrell. We just had one of the best seasons in school history, and you guys want him to run him out of town because his adjustments are not ideal. Get real people.

Mullen is not the same coach he was when he got here. We are not the same school, and that's because of what Dan has done here.

Other than I seen it dawg, I don't know of any MSU fan even thinking of running Mullen out of town and he is just being a prisoner of the moment.

BoomBoom
01-01-2015, 09:18 PM
TLDR;

who said anything about running him out of town? YOU get real. Look, this isn't that bad a problem to have. It's a bit of an unusual one, because most people run in the opposite direction: they are too quick to change. Like i said, it's a fine line, and the truly great coaches take time to nail it. Mullen absolutely should not be expected to excel in this area yet, no one so early in their career should. But right now it's what is holding him back. The first step is recognizing you have a problem. Most great coaches iron out these types of flaws by hiring staff that complements them in ways that iron out these types of flaws. Mullen doesn't yet realize that that's what he needs. Can you imagine Nick Saban saying "F* you, i'm Nick Saban, i don't need help on offense"? No, he's Nick F'ng Saban because he realized that wasn't his best area and went out and got someone who could do better there. Dan needs someone on staff that can get him to recognize "hey, this was a neat idea, but it just isn't working, time to try something else". Some coaches don't need that guy, Dan Mullen does. I don't need you going all LT on me and saying nothing needs to change.

I seen it dawg
01-01-2015, 09:50 PM
Other than I seen it dawg, I don't know of any MSU fan even thinking of running Mullen out of town and he is just being a prisoner of the moment.

I'm not being a prisoner of the moment. Dan needs to change. I don't think he will.

justwin
01-01-2015, 10:03 PM
It's really hard to win the SEC. It's really, really hard.

Mullen is the best coach we've had and is only going to get better, we all agree with this. Just won 10 games highlighted by getting over the mental hump of beating LSU in Death Valley. Plus, he has a real shot at winning 2 in a row from LSU next year. He's beaten Auburn 2 of last 3 and could very well be 3 in a row. In 2 of last 3 years, he's opened up 7-0 and 9-0 and the year he didn't his starting senior qb went down in game 1.

We were competitive in every game we played this year. Every game...which I think has to speak to some sort of game adjustments. MSU's offense is the best it's ever been under Mullen....and I've come to grips to accept whatever he does b/c it's fun watching his teams play. It's really enjoyable. A hail mary...are you kidding me?

He does need to feature the RBs more. Specifically, Dak needs to give the ball up on a few speed sweeps and pitch sooner to the RB on the option.

We lost at Bama b/c Dak missed some reads in the 1H & Jameon had a few too many drops. Bad reads, a few drops, and 2-3 bad throws & we lose by 5.

We lost to OM b/c we couldn't stop the runs to the corners which opened up everything.

We lost to GT due to both of those things combined. GT is the worst bowl opponent...you gain nothing by beating them and I still don't understand what constitutes a chop block.

However, Mullen gave our best players chances all season and they didn't execute in some key moments. I think this is where you want to be as a program as compared to not having guys who can make the plays.

We have the talent b/c of Mullen. It gets better every year. Our facilities & game experience are top notch.

I think the next DC is going to be another up & comer. Could be wrong. Good defenses are hard to find in college football. I would just blitz 70% of the time and play press man 90% of the time....we have the athletes up front to disrupt the qb.

The focus over the next 9 months is to beat the ever loving chit out of LSU @ home. Beat them back to back would be another monumental moment for MSU football.

Finally, De'Runnya Wilson is the best WR I have ever seen @ MSU. An incredible playmaker & have really enjoyed watching him this year.

Thank you, Coach Mullen

codeDawg
01-01-2015, 11:19 PM
who said anything about running him out of town? YOU get real. Look, this isn't that bad a problem to have. It's a bit of an unusual one, because most people run in the opposite direction: they are too quick to change. Like i said, it's a fine line, and the truly great coaches take time to nail it. Mullen absolutely should not be expected to excel in this area yet, no one so early in their career should. But right now it's what is holding him back. The first step is recognizing you have a problem. Most great coaches iron out these types of flaws by hiring staff that complements them in ways that iron out these types of flaws. Mullen doesn't yet realize that that's what he needs. Can you imagine Nick Saban saying "F* you, i'm Nick Saban, i don't need help on offense"? No, he's Nick F'ng Saban because he realized that wasn't his best area and went out and got someone who could do better there. Dan needs someone on staff that can get him to recognize "hey, this was a neat idea, but it just isn't working, time to try something else". Some coaches don't need that guy, Dan Mullen does. I don't need you going all LT on me and saying nothing needs to change.

My point is that in year 6 of Mullen's entire head coaching career we are having a historic season. Mullen has not made the best adjustments in each season, but he is adjusting year to year. I'm not saying nothing needs to change, I'm saying you need to quit being a whiny bitch and appreciate a guy who is all in for us.

Political Hack
01-01-2015, 11:35 PM
TLDR;

True.

BoomBoom
01-01-2015, 11:41 PM
My point is that in year 6 of Mullen's entire head coaching career we are having a historic season. Mullen has not made the best adjustments in each season, but he is adjusting year to year. I'm not saying nothing needs to change, I'm saying you need to quit being a whiny bitch and appreciate a guy who is all in for us.

i'll say it again, he's a good coach. i'm glad he's here. but F you LT for not wanting us to be better. poor lil ole State, we should just be happy we're not last.

Really Clark?
01-01-2015, 11:49 PM
i'll say it again, he's a good coach. i'm glad he's here. but F you LT for not wanting us to be better. poor lil ole State, we should just be happy we're not last.

Where did he say anything about not getting better? He even mentioned Mullen making adjustments to do just that.

gravedigger
01-02-2015, 12:08 AM
and you guys want him to run him out of town because his adjustments are not ideal. Get real people. .

Just where in the fk did you get this interpretation?

gravedigger
01-02-2015, 12:29 AM
Good lord. Lt is larry templeton. Not the poster.

Todd4State
01-02-2015, 12:29 AM
Just where in the fk did you get this interpretation?

It is pretty silly that some of our fans think that criticizing Mullen = wanting him fired.

The reality is most of us want Dan to change so that we can be better and reach our full potential.

Really Clark?
01-02-2015, 12:37 AM
It is pretty silly that some of our fans think that criticizing Mullen = wanting him fired.

The reality is most of us want Dan to change so that we can be better and reach our full potential.

Well it was in the heat of what happened last night, but some were making that reference that he might should clean out his office and such. So the poster does have some reason to think that some people think that. Even if they were just spouting off.

gravedigger
01-02-2015, 01:03 AM
Well it was in the heat of what happened last night, but some were making that reference that he might should clean out his office and such. So the poster does have some reason to think that some people think that. Even if they were just spouting off.

Then the accusation belonged in those other threads. Because making it in this one COMPLETELY made the poster and those who defended him look like reading comprehension morons.

gravedigger
01-02-2015, 01:12 AM

Exactly. Mullen is a very good coach and deaerves a long contract.

But our "ceiling" has to do with whether he corrects some things about himself.

bluelightstar
01-02-2015, 01:12 AM
Mullen has not made the best adjustments in each season, but he is adjusting year to year. I'm not saying nothing needs to change, I'm saying you need to quit being a whiny bitch and appreciate a guy who is all in for us.

To reach the mountaintop, you have to adjust in-season. With the quality of talent in our league (players and coaches), things that work in week 4 against LSU will not work in Week 12 against Alabama. That's not saying Mullen should be fired, but the evaluation and changes can't happen after December every year.

MabenMaroon
01-02-2015, 01:14 AM
CDM is still a very young coach and has from time to time said that he has learned from his mistakes, and has frequently said after games that we will look at things and get them fixed. One common comment from other coaches, both from around the league and outside the league, is that he is extremely intelligent. He will figure these shortcomings out.
I think that most on this board would agree that South Carolina had a little bit better history, tradition and resources before they hired the Ol' Ball Coach. Steve Spurrier had 15 years of collegiate head coaching, 5 years of pro coaching, a national title and several SEC championships under his belt before he arrived at Columbia. I am pasting his record at USCe
South Carolina Gamecocks (Southeastern Conference) (2005–present)
2005 South Carolina 7–5 5–3 T–2nd (East) L Independence
2006 South Carolina 8–5 3–5 5th (East) W Liberty
2007 South Carolina 6–6 3–5 T–4th (East)
2008 South Carolina 7–6 4–4 T–3rd (East) L Outback
2009 South Carolina 7–6 3–5 T–4th (East) L PapaJohns.com
2010 South Carolina 9–5 5–3 1st (East) L Chick-fil-A 22 22
2011 South Carolina 11–2 6–2 2nd (East) W Capital One 8 9
2012 South Carolina 11–2 6–2 3rd (East) W Outback 7 8
2013 South Carolina 11–2 6–2 2nd (East) W Capital One 4 4
2014 South Carolina 7–6 3–5 T–4th (East) W Independence
South Carolina: 84–45 44–36
It took him 7 years to get to double digits in the win column, to a major bowl and top 10 ranking. Bottom line is that CDM is doing a pretty decent job with this program and in fairly short order in his first gig as a head coach at the venerable old age of 42. he will figure it out and MSU will get to the promised land.