PDA

View Full Version : Ethics of hiring coaches in-season

thf24
01-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it should be impermissible to make any contact whatsoever, through agents or otherwise, with any FBS coach whose season isn't completely over? I know it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to police, and such a rule might be illegal according to a higher authority outside of college athletics, but it just doesn't seem right to be able poach any of another school's staff or even distract them with contact while they still have games to play and stunt the tail end of their season. Especially for smaller but up-and-coming schools trying to rise out of "revolving door" status.

In regards to us, I'm not saying not having Collins was the sole reason for our inability to stop GT, but I think it's safe to assume that it made a significant difference in terms of preparation and in-game adjustments. Not to mention that he likely had mailed it in by the time we played OM as well. I don't blame Collins or any other coach who is contacted or leaves early; they're just taking the new job that's been offered to them and getting the fastest start they can on it, as any professional should. I just don't think it's right that a school with a more attractive/desirable job to the coach in question can derail another school's current season still in progress just to get a few weeks head start on its upcoming one.

RIdog
01-01-2015, 02:37 PM
Totally unenforceable . There will always be sleezeball agents .

Irondawg
01-01-2015, 02:44 PM
I think the NCAA could create a rule however that teams are not allowed to announce any hirings until the postseason is over and all teams are done playing. Let the agents do their work because you can't stop it anyway and if a head coach wants to relieve a coordinator or position coach from his duties then so be it.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2015, 02:50 PM
I think the NCAA could create a rule however that teams are not allowed to announce any hirings until the postseason is over and all teams are done playing. Let the agents do their work because you can't stop it anyway and if a head coach wants to relieve a coordinator or position coach from his duties then so be it.

I agree. I don't understand why bowl games aren't written into the contract of coaches. Unless the school relieves them, then the coach has to coach the bowl game in order to be fully compensated for his year's salary.

It just seems like the revolving door of coaches has too big of an impact on the end of the season, and that seems dumb.

If recruiting is the reason for the problem, then move signing day back a month to March, and it all equals out. Either way, coaches leaving before the season is over seems like a really stupid idea that was likely conceived when there were very few bowl games and most team's seasons were done at Thanksgiving.

maroonmania
01-01-2015, 02:57 PM
You couldn't stop contact but you could stop guys from switching jobs before their current team's season ends. And seriously, how much would Florida have lost by letting Collins finish out with us?

Offshore Dawg
01-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Totally unenforceable . There will always be sleezeball agents .

It is big business now and has been for many years. Coaches getting 5 million per year. This is right there with CEO's of major corporations.

Dawgowar
01-01-2015, 03:28 PM
No matter his motivation, personal ambition or to spite Mullen, doesn't matter to me. Fact is though Collins abandoned 'his guys' and all that crap about juice points and swagger was just a crock of shit. We needed an experienced defensive coach last night. Hughes left the booth, this was a cluster**** of epic proportion. Collins ran to his next resume builder and left his players. It was one of the reasons I got so angry about McElwien taking those shots at Dan. He had already screwed us. Last night was the reach around.

The NCAA has zero power to enforce anything resembling a rule. The NCAA sports is now Arkham Asylum.

Screw Geoff Collins and the swag chalice he road in on. Hope UF gets driven into the ground by the rest of the east for years to come.

Bully13
01-01-2015, 03:49 PM
I'm having a hard time believing Collins didn't already have the uf job locked up before the egg bowl and it played a role in how we played. a big part of being a successful coach is giving a shit and I don't think he did. shows a lack of professionalism on his part and I hope he shits an egg down in gainesville.