PDA

View Full Version : How pissed will you be

Smitty
12-31-2014, 11:32 PM
If the Florida Gators have a dynamic, blitzing, multiple look, solid defense next year?

HereComesTheSpiral
12-31-2014, 11:35 PM
If the Florida Gators have a dynamic, blitzing, multiple look, solid defense next year?

Jesse Palmer just said the most intelligent thing, we will be on our 5th DC in 7 years with no philosophy change. At this point, save the money and roll the dice, this is ridiculous.

Drugdog
12-31-2014, 11:37 PM
This is Dans defense. Nothing will change. We can get Nute Rockne and would still be playing this crap.

Todd4State
12-31-2014, 11:52 PM
Yep. And we need superior athletes to run it. So, we might as well hire someone that can actually bring in superior athletes.

CadaverDawg
12-31-2014, 11:56 PM
Yep. And we need superior athletes to run it. So, we might as well hire someone that can actually bring in superior athletes.

Yep

gravedigger
12-31-2014, 11:59 PM
We dont hve superior athletes on defense?

Todd4State
01-01-2015, 12:00 AM

Ask Deontay Evans and Kivon Coman about that.

starkvegasdawg
01-01-2015, 12:04 AM

Think 86 bears.

Liverpooldawg
01-01-2015, 12:07 AM
Yep

Yep! Yaw, Yaw, Yaw!

gravedigger
01-01-2015, 12:12 AM
So because those two arent good means we dont have talent?

Im sorry, this isnt about talent. This is about the inability to adapt to situations.

Todd4State
01-01-2015, 12:22 AM
So because those two arent good means we dont have talent?

Im sorry, this isnt about talent. This is about the inability to adapt to situations.

We do have talent. We don't have enough talent to run straight up bend and don't break zone all the time because guys like Evans lack the instincts you need to be successful in that type of system. The guys we bring in are also very raw coming out of high school as well.

Basically we need to do like Georgia Tech does on offense and come up with a defensive scheme that fit the strengths and talent of the players we have. Like Coman is a pretty decent hitter- well, then blitz him and let him take someone's head off. We're asking him to cover slot WR's and TE's.

But if we're hell bent on running a bend and don't break defense, we need someone that can bring in guys that CAN run it.

gravedigger
01-01-2015, 12:44 AM
Id say tou are exactly right aboit the bend but dont win defense. I also agree that the proper employment of what talent you have is critical.

Tcu's performance today on defense is the moat exciting thing ive witnessed in years

That is what i want.

ScottH
01-01-2015, 12:46 AM
Tcu's performance today on defense is the moat exciting thing ive witnessed in years

I have limited X and O knowledge.

What defense do they run and why is it so effective?

Todd4State
01-01-2015, 12:49 AM
Id say tou are exactly right aboit the bend but dont win defense. I also agree that the proper employment of what talent you have is critical.

That is what i want.

That's what I want too, and I think most of us want that too.

But I don't think Dan wants that, and he's the one that matters.

Todd4State
01-01-2015, 12:52 AM
I have limited X and O knowledge.

What defense do they run and why is it so effective?

They run a 4-2-5. They do a lot of blitzing, but they also split up their coverage sometimes where one side of the secondary is playing man and say the other side is playing a variation of a zone like cover two. A guy like Matt Wells would be perfect as the fifth defensive back- we would probably call them DOG backs- that are hybrid LB/S. And on the defensive line, I saw a lot of stunts and things like that.

Maroonthirteen
01-01-2015, 12:52 AM

you are kidding? we have good personel in the front seven of 1A but not surperior. however in the secondary....we are extremely weak. so overall, no, we don't.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2015, 12:55 AM
How does the 4-2-5 work against teams that can run the football?

It seems to me that that defense is built to stop spread teams, and teams like Ole Miss that can't run the ball. My guess is it would be much less effective against Alabama, LSU, Ark, and Auburn.

Coackjek
01-01-2015, 03:02 AM
Jesse Palmer just said the most intelligent thing, we will be on our 5th DC in 7 years with no philosophy change. At this point, save the money and roll the dice, this is ridiculous.

Didn't Diaz have a lot of different blitz packages? Seems like after he left things changed to the bend don't break.

engie
01-01-2015, 03:05 AM
Yeah -- we got "out-athleted" to the tune of 400 yards on the ground...

Someone wanna check those all-important 'crootin rankings for me?

engie
01-01-2015, 03:05 AM
you are kidding? we have good personel in the front seven of 1A but not surperior. however in the secondary....we are extremely weak. so overall, no, we don't.

Bullshit. Against Georgia Tech?

We got ****ing outcoached.

I seen it dawg
01-01-2015, 03:13 AM

Exactly. Fyd

Dawgfan77
01-01-2015, 09:36 AM
I don't care if we run a 5-1-5 I want to see a down hill get after the QB defense. Under myer at UF and Utah both defenses played down hill in a 4-3 zone and cover two. Why do we play a 4-3 read and react?

Maroonthirteen
01-01-2015, 10:00 AM
Yeah, we got out coached too. but we don't have superior athletes to GT across the board. We have nobody with the speed of their QB. Nobody that could cover their big TE.

EngineerDawg
01-01-2015, 10:48 AM
I am looking forward to watching the osu defense tonight and see how defense is played in the Meyer system. I haven't watched them this year but would assume it's the same bend but don't break?

Dawgfan77
01-01-2015, 11:12 AM
I am looking forward to watching the osu defense tonight and see how defense is played in the Meyer system. I haven't watched them this year but would assume it's the same bend but don't break?
Nope it's a 4-3 downhill attacking d. Built to first stop the run but uses the de and lb to get after the QB. Man and zone coverages in the secondary wil mix it up. But very active in the front 7

I seen it dawg
01-01-2015, 11:14 AM
It's probably a defense where the defensive coordinator is allowed to do his job

EngineerDawg
01-01-2015, 11:18 AM
It's probably a defense where the defensive coordinator is allowed to do his job

I just spit I laughed so hard!

Dawgfan77
01-01-2015, 11:43 AM
Urbans DC. Kyle Whittingham. Charlie strong. Chris ash I would say he let's his dc coach that's 3 dc in 12 years. Mullen 4 dc in 6 years

Really Clark?
01-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Urbans DC. Kyle Whittingham. Charlie strong. Chris ash I would say he let's his dc coach that's 3 dc in 12 years. Mullen 4 dc in 6 years

He inherited Strong though and was fortunate that Strong spurred or was not offered head coaching jobs when it was clear for years that he was a very good candidate. That had more to do with luck. And isn't Ash his second DC at OSU. Or am I misremembering?

Eta. Luke Fickell was Also DC at OSU with Urban. So it's more like what 5 DC for Urban over 12 years. And wasn't Charlie also a Co-DC at first under Urban with Mattison? So that's 6. Then Urban had Teryl Austin. Urban also inherited Whittingham at Utah who had already been there for 7 years. Really different situations.

Dawgfan77
01-01-2015, 11:56 AM
He inherited Strong though and was fortunate that Strong spurred or was not offered head coaching jobs when it was clear for years that he was a very good candidate. That had more to do with luck. And isn't Ash his second DC at OSU. Or am I misremembering?

Eta. Luke Fickell was Also DC at OSU with Urban.

. Fickell was the intern for a year at osu and myer held him for one year as dc that was the one I missed. Still 4 dc in 12 years vs 4 in 6

engie
01-01-2015, 11:59 AM

Greg Mattison
Teryl Austin
Everett Withers and/or
Luke Fickell

We're up to 6 DCs in 12 years. Could actually be 7. The guys Meyer kept longterm were loyal guys that he inherited from previous staffs at the Florida/Utah stops...

Really Clark?
01-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Greg Mattison
Teryl Austin
Everett Withers and/or
Luke Fickell

We're up to 6 DCs in 12 years. Could actually be 7. The guys Meyer kept longterm were loyal guys that he inherited from previous staffs at the Florida/Utah stops...

Yep. I forgot Whithers. So 7 in 12 years with Whittingham and Strong being long tenured hold overs. Maybe he had to take them but probably not. But if you eliminate those two guys it looks awful like 5 DC in 8 years to me.

Smitty
01-01-2015, 01:50 PM
Is it true Collins wanted to coach the game then Dan and him fell out?

Really Clark?
01-01-2015, 02:11 PM
Is it true Collins wanted to coach the game then Dan and him fell out?

I've seen one guy say that and it doesn't get posted until after the game. I'm willing to bet that it's made up by him or he was fed bad info. Kinda of ironic the timing of this story coming out. Always makes me suspicious.

SFloridaDawg
01-01-2015, 08:50 PM
Bullshit. Against Georgia Tech?
Aged tentative
We got ****ing outcoached.

I don't post much (2nd time) but read regularly. What we had against Ga Tech was a coach that has run that offense for 18 years and run it very well. He knows all of the "looks" that his opponent will give him and he will adjust his play calling based on those looks. He totally overmatched his counterpart (the interim DC) and was at least 2 steps ahead of him at nearly every turn. Our guys played tentative and did not attack. We were catching blocks all night. Their cut blocks really affected us. They absolutely dominated our defense which meant that our offense had to play mistake free, which obviously we didn't.
There is no substitute for experience at this level. Our DC just wasn't up to the task in my opinion.