PDA

View Full Version : Time for Stricklin to do his job

bobcat91
06-18-2013, 06:55 PM
With the success in baseball that we have had under Cohen, I hope he is ready to renovate Dudy Noble. I would love to see a new facility, if for no other reason than to move past the seat licences that are hindering us from the LT era and the substandard construction that has boxes that leak when it rains. More probably is that we chair back the lines and add food services and rest rooms with new boxes. Either way, we need to give the best fans in the country the best facility. Has anyone heard him speak on the issue.

Coach34
06-18-2013, 06:58 PM
I've heard it wasnt going to happen until we made some noise in Omaha- well, noise has been made. And sooner than many thought.

I dont see anything happening before Jackie Sherrill Davis-Wade Stadium is finished though-just a guess on my part

War Machine Dawg
06-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Amen! The Dude NEEDS to be renovated.

dickiedawg
06-18-2013, 07:36 PM
I would love to scrap it and start over, a la Alex Box. But I don't think getting rid of the permanent seating licenses is the "magic elixir" some seem to think it is.

If you reseat based on BC points, the best seats will be empty just like in basketball. Same problem, different cause.

I'll bet attendance is up next year, anyway.

Coach34
06-18-2013, 07:39 PM
I would love to scrap it and start over, a la Alex Box. But I don't think getting rid of the permanent seating licenses is the "magic elixir" some seem to think it is.

If you reseat based on BC points, the best seats will be empty just like in basketball. Same problem, different cause.

I'll bet attendance is up next year, anyway.

Yes, but chairbacks to the fairpole will get more people buying tickets. Nobody wants to sit in the damn bleachers and you cant even see from part of them on both sides

HereComesTheSpiral
06-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Yes, but chairbacks to the fairpole will get more people buying tickets. Nobody wants to sit in the damn bleachers and you cant even see from part of them on both sides

We sat on the third base side in the grandstands for the regional, and the sight lines at The Dude are pathetic because they have no curvature down the lines. You have to turn sideways if you are sitting close to the field.

Goat Holder
06-18-2013, 08:09 PM
I think scrapping our most tradition-rich facility is f*cking stupid. Just my opinion. Upgrade the outside, sure. Do something about the bleachers, sure. Maybe even renovate the grandstand, sure. But the Dude should remain.

I will say there is a real issue with how the grandstands go down the foul line, with line of sight and all. Engie illustrated it very well one day on 6pack.

dickiedawg
06-18-2013, 08:11 PM

No doubt about this. There is a need and the administration Acknowledges this. We will have a substantial renovation started within 5 years. I just don't know that you can justify tearing down and starting over, even though that would result in the nicest end result possible.

Goat Holder
06-18-2013, 08:13 PM
One thought I have on this.......

What's missing with MSU baseball really isn't the facilities, stadium, etc. It's the f*cking BANNER. The one that we're playing for right now. That is all.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-18-2013, 08:28 PM
No doubt about this. There is a need and the administration Acknowledges this. We will have a substantial renovation started within 5 years. I just don't know that you can justify tearing down and starting over, even though that would result in the nicest end result possible.

It would probably be cheaper to tear The Dude down and build a new structure rather than trying to renovate a stadium with several problems and connect two new structures. Like I said previously, the grandstands down the first and third base lines are straight lines, so I would assume they would have to be ripped out to make the curvature of the stadium correct. The concession areas are not large enough to handle large amounts of traffic so that area will have to be expanded. That is the problem with older structures, they generally have several issues that are extremely expensive to fix.

State82
06-18-2013, 08:28 PM
The right architect can work with what we have and provide a very serviceable facility. It just needs to be someone very knowledgeable in this type of renovation and who really knows what they are doing. We don't have 30-40 mil to drop right now with the 100 mil we are in the middle of with football facilities. But, it badly needs to happen. And quickly.

FlabLoser
06-18-2013, 08:29 PM
If they chair back to the foul poles, could they angle every section so that everything faces the infield?

Lets just get the Trustmark Park blueprint and scale it up.

bobcat91
06-18-2013, 08:30 PM
Yes we need the banner, but when Jim Ellis says we are in the bottom half of the conference in facilities, then changes should be made.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-18-2013, 08:32 PM
If they chair back to the foul poles, could they angle every section so that everything faces the infield?

Lets just get the Trustmark Park blueprint and scale it up.

I'm sure they could, the question becomes the cost to do it, but I'm not an architect

Dallas_Dawg
06-18-2013, 08:58 PM
There's a better chance of TSUN scrapping baseball altogether than us building a brand new stadium. The Dude just needs a tuneup

Coach34
06-18-2013, 09:07 PM
I'll be shocked to see us spend 30MM on a new facility. I'm pretty damn positive we will see an upgrade to what we have

bobcat91
06-18-2013, 09:12 PM
We could make it state of the art for $18-20 million.

Todd4State
06-18-2013, 09:17 PM
From having talked to people, I think the real problem with the grandstand is they don't make it accessible until the fifth inning.

The thing about baseball is this- you play series. Even if someone has season tickets, it's just more convenient for people to go to one game as opposed to all three on the weekend, much less the midweek games. And season tickets may be worth the investment if you go up every Saturday or Friday or whatever and SBW. But that means that two games a weekend plus the midweek games have no one sitting in them. It's kind of harsh to call someone that goes up every once in awhile a bad fan.

So, I think the short term solution is to make the grandstand available to the general admission people on the weekend- it already is for midweek, and institute the honor code- you get squatter's rights until someone with a ticket shows up and then you move to another spot. Cover up the bleachers with huge maroon tarps that have MSU related things on them, and then remove the tarps for SBW and a regional which would be the only time we would need the bleachers.

Now, long term- we just need to tear down the grandstand and build a new one. Having a field, and basically the outfield and scoreboard in place saves a LOT of money and time. We always have the option of putting in a new scoreboard later. My guesstimate is we could build the best stadium in the SEC for 30 million dollars.

Todd4State
06-18-2013, 09:19 PM
I believe Alabama is renovating their stadium at a cost of 25 million. That's what I am using as a reference, and I do not know what that all entails- that may include a brand new field, scoreboard, etc.- some things that we have in place.

engie
06-18-2013, 10:32 PM
The OM Swayze renovation was $20 mil...

I don't see how we can upgrade the current structure with the grandstand how it is currently configured... at least not in an expanded capacity...

codeDawg
06-18-2013, 11:36 PM
I'll be shocked to see us spend 30MM on a new facility. I'm pretty damn positive we will see an upgrade to what we have

Of the "big 3" sports, this is the one we have come the closest to winning a NC in. It's time to go all in.

archdog
06-19-2013, 02:17 AM
With the success in baseball that we have had under Cohen, I hope he is ready to renovate Dudy Noble. I would love to see a new facility, if for no other reason than to move past the seat licences that are hindering us from the LT era and the substandard construction that has boxes that leak when it rains. More probably is that we chair back the lines and add food services and rest rooms with new boxes. Either way, we need to give the best fans in the country the best facility. Has anyone heard him speak on the issue.

HKS sports could design and get this thing off the ground quickly. HKS has recently finished the new ballpark in Birmingham and it was done well.

If you check out HkS work you would see the Jerry World and the Colts stadium. Also a few spring training facilties in baseball. I think the new concur reds facility was one of theirs. Just a new name to throw out there.

dawgoneyall
06-19-2013, 06:38 AM
As a season ticket holder since 87 with licensed seats, just leave that alone. And has nothing to do with BC points (top 10%). This is where I like setting and don't want to change views at some point. And I stepped up when it was necessary in 87 and a promise was made.

Seats become open every year. You want some seats....buy them.

codeDawg
06-19-2013, 07:33 AM
As a season ticket holder since 87 with licensed seats, just leave that alone. And has nothing to do with BC points (top 10%). This is where I like setting and don't want to change views at some point. And I stepped up when it was necessary in 87 and a promise was made.

The issue isn't seats opening up, the issue is the quality of the park. It has gone from the best park in the country, to one if the worst in our league. If we want to excel, not just compete, we need to make it the best in the country again. I don't think a renovation will accomplish that.

The lifetime seating is also an issue. You have to know that the deal you struck was stupid on the part of MSU, and at some point, it will end. It was smart for you to take it, but the ride will be over soon one way or another.

FlabLoser
06-19-2013, 08:00 AM
A deal is a deal. I think we can upgrade or replace the stadium and still be fair to deals that were made.

Esmerelda Villalobos
06-19-2013, 08:29 AM

as a lifetime chair back holder as well, I say trash that. The lifetime seats (while great for us), are terrible for our program and everyone else. I'll bite the bullet bc it was a terrible idea and one we have benefited from for 25 years.

Goat Holder
06-19-2013, 09:19 AM

I sort of agree. If the seats are paid for, you can't really say much. Nobody's just going to pay for seats and never go. And on top of that, look at the bball situation....it's based on BC, and the atmosphere has declined.

It's a simple solution.....allow people to come in the grandstand earlier in the game.

Goat Holder
06-19-2013, 09:25 AM
I don't see how we can upgrade the current structure with the grandstand how it is currently configured... at least not in an expanded capacity...

What about some type of angled terracing or something? I agree (based on that prior illustration), it would be sort of hard to just extend the grandstand. LOS would not increase. Perhaps but some sort of chairback angled seating on the left field side and make the right field side a terraced tailgating area, angled of course. It would obviously seat less than a grandstand like South Carolina, but crowds aren't really our problem.

Sandman14
06-19-2013, 09:29 AM
scrapping dudy noble field...that is hilarious. there are a MILLION things you could do to that stadium. there is no way it is coming down, thank goodness. hey why don't you tear down fenway and wrigley as well while you are at it.

sometimes a facility doesn't have to be the "nicest" to be the "best." if you tear down that field, you will never again have the magic that we currently enjoy. we take that for granted. sure, we would have something nice and new and would get use to it and like it, but it would never again be that place that grisham poetically described.

on nights like the regionals this year, it stirs some serious emotions to get out there and be part of that magic. I can't believe some of you want to scrap that and start over.

SheltonChoked
06-19-2013, 09:30 AM
I talked to Scott last year, before Blue Bell was renovated, and his vision of the new Dudy Noble is very similar to what A&M did to their park.

A&M kept most of the exsisting grandstand area, but upgraded the Pressbox, concession, ticket, restroom and concourse areas.
Expect to see our bleachers go away. They will be replaced with grass covered hills with a concrete pad at the top for temporary bleachers to be brought in for big weekends (SBW, Regionals, Supers).
The road between the Hump and Dudy will be closed and a large entrance plaza built like what is planned for tennis and softball and like what is planned for the Mcarthur hall corner of the Davis Wade.

A childrens play area will be built in the right field corner as that will be the family area. (again, see Blue Bell park)

War Machine Dawg
06-19-2013, 09:49 AM
I talked to Scott last year, before Blue Bell was renovated, and his vision of the new Dudy Noble is very similar to what A&M did to their park.

A&M kept most of the exsisting grandstand area, but upgraded the Pressbox, concession, ticket, restroom and concourse areas.
Expect to see our bleachers go away. They will be replaced with grass covered hills with a concrete pad at the top for temporary bleachers to be brought in for big weekends (SBW, Regionals, Supers).
The road between the Hump and Dudy will be closed and a large entrance plaza built like what is planned for tennis and softball and like what is planned for the Mcarthur hall corner of the Davis Wade.

A childrens play area will be built in the right field corner as that will be the family area. (again, see Blue Bell park)

That ****ing blows. And if that's Scott's idea of "improving" the Dude, his ass should be put on notice. That's LT-esque.

War Machine Dawg
06-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Of the "big 3" sports, this is the one we have come the closest to winning a NC in. It's time to go all in.

+1 Spot on.

FlabLoser
06-19-2013, 09:58 AM
What about some type of angled terracing or something? I agree (based on that prior illustration), it would be sort of hard to just extend the grandstand. LOS would not increase. Perhaps but some sort of chairback angled seating on the left field side and make the right field side a terraced tailgating area, angled of course. It would obviously seat less than a grandstand like South Carolina, but crowds aren't really our problem.

Make it like Trustmark Park

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=trustmark+park&hl=en&ll=32.274139,-90.147838&spn=0.002678,0.003484&sll=37.6,-95.665&sspn=56.978491,114.169922&hq=trustmark+park&t=h&z=19

Beyond 3rd base, the seating angles in to improve the sight lines. Closer to the foul pole, the seating angles in a lot to improve sight lines.

engie
06-19-2013, 10:03 AM

Sight lines are still the issue. You are still looking "through" the heads of those sitting to your left to try to watch the game -- and still getting a crick in your neck by the third inning from having to look so far to the side to see home plate.

Sandman14
06-19-2013, 10:09 AM
That ****ing blows. And if that's Scott's idea of "improving" the Dude, his ass should be put on notice. That's LT-esque.

what are you talking about? why does it blow? it certainly "improves" (as you say) the Dude.

this ain't rocket science, fellas. it's a damn baseball field.

Will James
06-19-2013, 10:09 AM

+1 Especially after a deep Omaha run, possibly National Championship.

engie
06-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Make it like Trustmark Park

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=trustmark+park&hl=en&ll=32.274139,-90.147838&spn=0.002678,0.003484&sll=37.6,-95.665&sspn=56.978491,114.169922&hq=trustmark+park&t=h&z=19

Beyond 3rd base, the seating angles in to improve the sight lines. Closer to the foul pole, the seating angles in a lot to improve sight lines.

It literally can not happen with our grandstand configuration.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130619-affj-62kb.jpg

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130619-hgos-47kb.jpg

engie
06-19-2013, 10:15 AM
scrapping dudy noble field...that is hilarious. there are a MILLION things you could do to that stadium. there is no way it is coming down, thank goodness. hey why don't you tear down fenway and wrigley as well while you are at it.

sometimes a facility doesn't have to be the "nicest" to be the "best." if you tear down that field, you will never again have the magic that we currently enjoy. we take that for granted. sure, we would have something nice and new and would get use to it and like it, but it would never again be that place that grisham poetically described.

on nights like the regionals this year, it stirs some serious emotions to get out there and be part of that magic. I can't believe some of you want to scrap that and start over.

Start naming -- since there is a "million" things we can do...

Hilarious that you think the magic of that place is contained in grandstand concrete...a grandstand that currently is ONLY EVER filled during regional baseball despite us pushing the 10k barrier a dozen times this year. Yeah -- it looks great on TV to have half the seats empty -- because lifetime seat holder in Jackson isn't showing up for LSU or South Carolina series**

Continuing to give the people that actually GO to a ton of games a substandard experience -- in order for the place to be "magical" a few weekends a decade in it's current format -- is NOT a recipe for longterm success.

As is, national recruits are going to be visiting us in the near future after this run. As they do, most of them are going to run over to Ole Miss as well. Their facility being better than ours isn't going to play worth a shit in those instances. Nevermind that the other one right up the road in Tuscaloosa is getting redone to the tune of $30 mil.... putting us either 6th or 7th in the SEC WEST in actual field facility.

Spider-Man
06-19-2013, 10:29 AM
I love going to watch games at Dudy Noble. Maybe it's just because I don't get up there enough to see the problems so many of you seem to have with it. I would love to see some upgrades, but completely building a new ballpark is something I am not interested in or would be excited about. To me, it would be comparable to what they've done with the CWS by getting rid of Rosenblatt and building a new park. Dudy Noble field is a "seven wonders of the world" to college baseball.

Sandman14
06-19-2013, 10:32 AM
I'd be fine with taking out the current press boxes and take the suites all the way around except don't make it all sweets. Have an open area of some kind like the football club level visitor side. then put chairbacks all the way down first and third, taking out the bleachers. if you wanted to really go big, take the suite-type area all the way down first and third. there is room to build some large structures where the bleachers currently are, and you could fix the site lines.

put in the grassy areas as previously described. find a way to keep the rig situation but also make the outfield more conducive to walk-ins in certain areas.

I'm not an engineer, but there is plenty to work with. I'd rather build new structures down first or third that are super pimp and draw congestion away from the current chairback section than to be scrapping what we have and building over the top of it. it's like the football stadium renovations these days, they end up making the end zones the preferred seating because it is so plush. they don't rip down the home side of the stadium...you just live with it but have pimped out stuff elsewhere (like the visitor club level and the soon to be end zone....or like Ole Miss's end zone they added a few years ago.

SheltonChoked
06-19-2013, 10:33 AM
I don't know what you guys want. More Grandstand seats that nobody sits in?

I think expanding the are where people are (the Lounge) at the expense of the described above worst seats at Dudy Noble, have the ability to greatly increase seating for big games (bring in temp bleachers), improve the common areas, and have a place for little kids to play (a great thing for parents who want to watch the whole game).

I guess we could tear it all down and built another park. But without seeing the numbers for each, that seems like a huge waste of money.

Coach34
06-19-2013, 10:41 AM
All the empty seats behind home plate on TV is embarrassing

engie
06-19-2013, 10:53 AM
I don't know what you guys want. More Grandstand seats that nobody sits in?

I think expanding the are where people are (the Lounge) at the expense of the described above worst seats at Dudy Noble, have the ability to greatly increase seating for big games (bring in temp bleachers), improve the common areas, and have a place for little kids to play (a great thing for parents who want to watch the whole game).

I guess we could tear it all down and built another park. But without seeing the numbers for each, that seems like a huge waste of money.

Huge waste of money or not -- this is BASEBALL -- and we are supposed to be the JONES'S -- or at least keeping up with them. We are staring down the barrel at the worst stadium in our division(Plainsman is nicer -- just smaller).

We NEED more grandstand seats for the ability to sell more season tickets. Do you not find it strange that we "top out" within a few hundred of the same amount of season tickets every single year -- regardless of how "good" or "bad" we are expected to be? Know why that is? Because we sell out the chairbacks for the season + 1k-1500 for people in the outfield that have CONSTANT lounge access -- and that's it. NO ONE is buying season tickets to sit in those bleachers...

We need double or triple the premium seating too. I've been to the skyboxes -- I know the names on the doors -- and they are the same ones that built the joint the first time. There are a TON of people interested in investing in one(particularly for Feb/March games), but they may not even be on a list -- because the rumor is that we haven't had a single cancellation up there since they were built in 98. Sold out before it was completed -- and we've never built any more?

For game experience, the lifetime seats have to go away. They were a $250-500-1k investment in 1985. They've seen MSU baseball for, at worst, an extra $35/yr now. Time to make those go away -- put those people high on "baseball priority" and move on.

Baseball priority needs to factor how many games people actually make it to -- as well as the usual factors. And I'm with Todd. We've GOT to open the grandstands to people that want to sit in them. Making anyone sit in those bleachers is basically trying to prevent their future participation in MSU baseball.

SheltonChoked
06-19-2013, 11:29 AM
We have to update the Pressbox and Suites. Maybe add some more suites in the existing pressbox area and the gaps in the old chairback section.

We have to make the General admission area and the amenities nicer (more bathrooms, more concessions, a walk of fame/nicer concourse, a family area, and a student area) I wish we could go back to the cyclone fence in the outfield to allow through the fence viewing again. I think we have to make a history of MSU baseball walk at the entrance of the stadium.

But, adding chairbacks all the way down 1st and 3rd sounds like a good way for us to have nobody sitting in the grandstand ever. I don’t see how adding more reserved seating is going to help our issue of people in the grandstand not attending games. Most of the people I know buy chairbacks to go to the big games. They have for 30 years, just like the Hump lower level used to be. It mostly the same people. With us winning, more people will buy season tickets in the reserved seating so they can have a nice seat at the regionals, and they will not be there except for the big games.

Sandman14
06-19-2013, 12:25 PM
for the lifetime folks...you could just add a clause that if you seats are not filled for 80% of the games then you get moved to the new chairbacks down first or third.

for folks like me...I'm a huge MSU baseball fan, but I am not now nor will I ever be purchasing season tickets. I can't drive to Starkville two or three times a week. I should be able to show up and purchase a chairback seat. I should also be able to show up and have a spot out in the outfield to set up without having to buy a rig.

I would say after the second inning, all bets are off with the chairbacks. you have two innings to get there, and then you lose it.

Bullmutt
06-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Upon examination of the picture of DNF put up by engie, a possible solution occurred to me, assuming that the primary goals are to: 1) preserve the seatback portion of the stadium that we already have, 2) replace the current bleachers down both foul lines with chairbacks while improving the sightlines therefrom and 3) leave the Left Field Lounge totally unaffected. The idea would be to raise the new chairback sections in such a way that they are several feet higher in elevation than the current chairback section. The end of the new section closest to home plate could be set back slightly relative to the old section and then the new section would continue, on either a biased straight line or with a gentle curve, to the foul pole. Like most of you i'm not an engineer, and there are probably fifty reasons why this wouldn't work, but it seems logical on the face of it.

SheltonChoked
06-19-2013, 01:16 PM
aGAIN, this issue will be any new reserved (Chairback) seating will be sold (as it should for $$$$) and not used.

Sandman. If we build Chairbacks all the way down the lines like you say, I'll bet that you will end up buying season tickets, and not using them.

Why?
It's too cheap not to.

You say you want to be able to sit in the chaiback seats for a game or sit in the outfield. The Lounge is full unless they add a terrace(and it would probably fill up with an added terrace). So what is left? Just the bleacher locations. if we put in chairbacks we are limited to around 8,000 (SWAG) or so without building up. We sold out basketball (7500 seats) at $260 a seat when we were winning. Do you think that we would not have more than enough demand to sell out the expanded chairbacks at $200 a seat? I think we will.

The issue is getting people in seats. An Honor system, or just opening up the reserved seating earlier in the game is what is needed.

But that is not all. we have to have an area for our next generation of fans. We have to have places for walk ups to go. For those who cannot I grew up near Starkville and remember going to many baseball games. I don't rememebr many of the games, but I do rememeber playing in the now gone cedar's in right, playing pickup cupball behind the bleachers, and sitting in the grass by the outfield fence waching the game under the signs. I took my 3 year old to her first MSU baseball game at Blue Bell this year. She loved it and asks to go see her Bulldog's play everytime we pass a baseball park. She loved it becasue she could play on the playground. I had fun because I could watch a game and not have to leave because my family got bored after 2 innings.

Right now, I cannot do that at State. I'd have to sit in the bleachers, with a bad sightline, small bathrooms and an small concession stand. I don't know anyone with a rig and don't have access to enough chairbacks for a big game.

An honor system is the only way we can put people in the grandstand.

CadaverDawg
06-19-2013, 04:25 PM
I didn't feel like reading through this entire thread since I'm joining in late, so this may have been mentioned....Scott said on his most recent interview about baseball, that Dudy Noble would not need to be replaced but there would need to be some renovations done in the future after football renovations were done.

I disagree about not needing a new stadium, but according to Scott we don't need to expect anything further than a major remodel.

engie
06-19-2013, 04:45 PM
If we could do something to sell more season tickets, why would we not do that? It would be fiscally irresponsible or us NOT to go that route -- especially when we're about to have to pay Butch Thompson to hold onto him.

I agree that we need an honor system basically allowing general admission in the grandstands...

dawgoneyall
06-19-2013, 09:40 PM
How was it a terrible idea? It paid for the best stadium in college baseball at the time. It also insures a certain amount of sold season tickets. Hell, that's what everyone counts now.

War Machine Dawg
06-19-2013, 10:37 PM
I didn't feel like reading through this entire thread since I'm joining in late, so this may have been mentioned....Scott said on his most recent interview about baseball, that Dudy Noble would not need to be replaced but there would need to be some renovations done in the future after football renovations were done.

I disagree about not needing a new stadium, but according to Scott we don't need to expect anything further than a major remodel.

LT 2.0. Think small, stay small. It's the MSU way. There is literally only 1 sport we have a legitimate chance to win a National Championship in, and our AD is unwilling to invest in the program. Dammit to Hell.

Will James
06-20-2013, 07:24 AM
LT 2.0. Think small, stay small. It's the MSU way. There is literally only 1 sport we have a legitimate chance to win a National Championship in, and our AD is unwilling to invest in the program. Dammit to Hell.

I just don't understand why this would be your chosen profession if you just want to go along to get along. It's like a CEO that is fine watching all of his competitors pass him by and not caring. How hard is it to tell 4 event staff people to take a hike and allow for an honor system in the grandstands. Seriously, " You four, take a hike".

We are in the Final 4.... In the only sport we've ever had success.. With one of, if not the largest fanbases in the country. And you tell me we are going to touch up the foul lines and build a ****ing playground??

I hope Cohen steps in and puts his foot down on this.

SnakePlissken
06-20-2013, 07:42 AM
We are in the Final 4.... In the only sport we've ever had success.. With one of, if not the largest fanbases in the country. And yet we don't have anyone step up and offer $25 million, like the Seals did for a football locker and weight room, to build us a new stadium. Heck, we don't have anyone in baseball fandom who has stepped up to offer $5, $10, $15 million as far as I know.

SaltyDawg
06-20-2013, 08:28 AM
And yet we don't have anyone step up and offer $25 million, like the Seals did for a football locker and weight room, to build us a new stadium. Heck, we don't have anyone in baseball fandom who has stepped up to offer $5, $10, $15 million as far as I know.

What the hell is wrong with you people?? Someone donate $15 million to get this ball rolling!! **

War Machine Dawg
06-20-2013, 09:30 AM
I just don't understand why this would be your chosen profession if you just want to go along to get along. It's like a CEO that is fine watching all of his competitors pass him by and not caring. How hard is it to tell 4 event staff people to take a hike and allow for an honor system in the grandstands. Seriously, " You four, take a hike".

We are in the Final 4.... In the only sport we've ever had success.. With one of, if not the largest fanbases in the country. And you tell me we are going to touch up the foul lines and build a ****ing playground??

I hope Cohen steps in and puts his foot down on this.

+1

I've been on the Stricklin bandwagon, but his treatment of baseball has me ready to abandon ship. I still think he could've used more seasoning as an AD at a smaller school before becoming our AD. IMO, he's learning on the job and is making a lot of rookie mistakes along the way. I miss Ninja, dammit.

SheltonChoked
06-20-2013, 09:55 AM
You want to FIRE the AD because he spoke a year ago about possible plans to revise the baseball field that does not meet your expectations?? That’s Ole Miss level delusion.

Scott said this was his plan a year ago. As of then he had not talked to an architect nor were we in the CWS. I'm sure his thinking might have changed some.

But for sake of argument, what would you see done?

Must do's
Improve the seating along the foul lines (probably will be reserved seating)
Fix existing Suites
Add additional suites
New Pressbox
More Bathrooms (grandstand and outfield)
More and larger concessions (grandstand and outfield)
New brick facade to match football, softball, and tennis
Revised entrance and concourse
Hall of fame walk way/area
Family area

All of this was listed a year ago. I think it sounds like a damn good start. Now there is a difference between LT’s endzone expansion and Scott’s, but let’s not judge him on that.
What did I miss?

Will James
06-20-2013, 10:22 AM
What did I miss?

This is old MSU mindset. Those sound great... I want the best college baseball facility in America though.

Sandman14
06-20-2013, 10:42 AM
I don't like Stricklin and never have based on his performance. He's only had one real situation to handle and he bungled it catastrophically. But in this case, I don't see anything wrong. You don't tear down your structures. You build new ones.

Hey why don't you folks dig around and answer me this: Has any college baseball stadium as nice as Dudy Noble EVER been torn down in order to build a new one on top of where the old one was? I'd have to say no. I never went to the old Alex Box, so I have no knowledge about that whole deal, but that's the only situation I can think of. All of these new stadiums being built are in situations where the prior stadium was a cardboard box.

War Machine Dawg
06-20-2013, 10:57 AM
I don't like Stricklin and never have based on his performance. He's only had one real situation to handle and he bungled it catastrophically. But in this case, I don't see anything wrong. You don't tear down your structures. You build new ones.

Hey why don't you folks dig around and answer me this: Has any college baseball stadium as nice as Dudy Noble EVER been torn down in order to build a new one on top of where the old one was? I'd have to say no. I never went to the old Alex Box, so I have no knowledge about that whole deal, but that's the only situation I can think of. All of these new stadiums being built are in situations where the prior stadium was a cardboard box.

The Dude is no longer "nice." Jim Ellis has openly said it is now in the BOTTOM HALF of facilities in our conference. Why is this so hard to understand? Dudy Noble was great in it's time, but that time is past. The skyboxes leak. We had to rip out the seats because the ones we had were no longer being manufactured. The concession & restroom space is an absolute joke. The sightlines blow. And that's just off the top of my head.

We have a window of opportunity to build one of the nicest facilities in the nation. But our AD apparently just wants to stick to the old MSU mentality of "stay in the black" and a touch-up will be enough. It isn't enough. As someone said earlier in the thread, we're supposed to be one of the Joneses in baseball. Let's act like it and build a real first-class facility instead of trying to put lipstick on a pig.

SheltonChoked
06-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Are you illiterate? He didn't say minor improvements. He is directly commented on updating the things you mentioned.
His list, again,

Improve the seating along the foul lines (probably will be reserved seating) WMD Sightlines comment
Fix existing Suites WMD Suites comment
Add additional suites
New Pressbox
More Bathrooms (grandstand and outfield) WMD restroom comment
More and larger concessions (grandstand and outfield) WMD Consession comment
New brick facade to match football, softball, and tennis WMD Lipstick on a pig comment
Revised entrance and concourse WMD Lipstick on a pig comment
Hall of fame walk way/area WMD Lipstick on a pig comment
Family areaWMD Lipstick on a pig comment

And all of this is before the last years regional apprearance, this years CWS run, and before getting an architect involved. Without seeing the $$$ it seems it would be a huge waste of money to tear down the exsusiting concrete grandstand. It may be what is done. But again I think Blue Bell renovation (http://schooldesigns.com/Project-Details.aspx?Project_ID=4350) is what will happen
Look at old Olsen vs Blue Bell. We have a better base to build on, $25-30 million should put Dudy Noble back on top easy.

messageboardsuperhero
06-20-2013, 11:55 AM

Grass covered hills? A children's play area? Are we Ole Miss? Those are terrible ideas. I will be absolutely pissed if we try to pull that bullshit.

The grandstand; concourse; pressbox; sky boxes; entrance to the park; etc. all need face lifts. That's pretty obvious and something we all can agree on. I also think everyone agrees that we need more premium skyboxes to go along with the ones we're upgrading. As far as the bleachers, I would get new ones, but make them nice looking, maroon colored, and with seat backs and cushioned. I would also make them connected and on the same level as the grandstand so that they don't look out of place, and I'd try to angle them so that whoever sits there has a clear view of the field. I like Todd's idea of a maroon tarp with State themed stuff covering them up early in the season or during the midweek games to make the stadium look less empty. People who buy general admission to the games with less people should be able to sit in the grandstand regardless, since it's so empty. Give them an honor system to move if someone with those seats shows up; that wouldn't be too hard. This way, we keep bleachers of some kind to accommodate the big crowds when we have them, but it gives us flexibility so that it doesn't look like no one's at the park.

As far as the outfield, I obviously wouldn't touch the lounge unless they wanted to do something to make traffic out there less congested. Now, I would build an elevated terrace/porch of some kind in the right field corner to accommodate the fans out there who do the roll call. That way, they have a place to stand without hanging over the fence, but you also aren't affecting the part of the outfield with the lounge.

That's just what I would do to try to improve Dudy Noble, without doing too much to change the magic of it.

Sandman14
06-20-2013, 11:57 AM
yep sheltonchoked I agree with you.

warmachine: do you realize that being in the bottom half of the SEC is probably good enough to put you in the top 15 in the nation? when you are competing against the new alex box, south carolina's field, etc., then there is no shame in not being first. also, "bottom half"....what the hell does that mean? How about "7th." Who has better stuff than us? LSU, USC, UM, Arky maybe...who else? I'm not disputing Jim, but what does that even mean? Is Jim talking about whether you have dividers in the pisser? Does he mean whether you can get a hot dog more quickly at Auburn? Because I don't give a damn about that stuff. You can google these various SEC baseball facilities, and they don't have shit on Dudy Noble...only about 3 or 4 are actually noticeably better.

it's just like anything else. we were the first to go big, so now others are having their turn to upgrade. that doesn't mean you tear down what was a state of the art structure 20 years ago.

like has been said, you pour that money into upgrades and we are easily right back in the top 3-4 in the SEC, which puts us in the top 5 or so nationally as well.

somebody set me straight where I've erred.

codeDawg
06-20-2013, 12:26 PM
And yet we don't have anyone step up and offer $25 million, like the Seals did for a football locker and weight room, to build us a new stadium. Heck, we don't have anyone in baseball fandom who has stepped up to offer $5, $10, $15 million as far as I know.

Well, we are talking about a revenue generating stadium, not a non-revenue generating football facility. I believe the point is to sell more tickets and add premium seating. Sound familiar? That's what we did with football and we borrowed the money to do it because we can pay for it with revenue. I don't know the economics of running our baseball program, but I do see a lot of money hanging low, ready to be picked.

Also, why are rigs not $10K plus at this point? There is our biggest revenue opportunity.

Coach34
06-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Well, we are talking about a revenue generating stadium, not a non-revenue generating football facility. I believe the point is to sell more tickets and add premium seating. Sound familiar? That's what we did with football and we borrowed the money to do it because we can pay for it with revenue. I don't know the economics of running our baseball program, but I do see a lot of money hanging low, ready to be picked.

Also, why are rigs not $10K plus at this point? There is our biggest revenue opportunity.

I agree on the Rigs- those certainly need to go up in price- and if the people currently there bitch- dont worry, the line is deep to take their place. It should be 5K at a minimum.

There also needs to be something built for a student section in the outfield. That would be perfect for them to all gather, have coolers, maybe a small area for grilling. Some type of structure built up for them

SheltonChoked
06-20-2013, 01:03 PM
So what does that entail? double deck it? build a dome? I'm serious.

I want it to be the best also. I just think we are closer than everyone else. I don't think it will take that much. I hate the bleachers. That the biggest question of how to make better. All the rest is easy.

SheltonChoked
06-20-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm telling you a family area is a great addition. None of you have small kids I guess. It's an easy Moneymaker and it's getting the next generation in.

engie
06-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Again -- New Alex Box was built for $36 million. Carolina Stadium was built for $35.6 million. Swayze was renovated for $18 million. Sewell Thomas just got approved for a $30 million "renovation". Blue Bell renovation cost was $24 million. For comparison purposes, Trustmark Park was constructed for $28mil($32.9mil today). Swayze was, of course, cheaper -- because they were able to use the same site. But for all intents and purposes, that is a brand new baseball stadium. Very little of it was saved from the past.

There is NO WAY Dudy Noble goes "back to the top" with the current grandstand structure in place. Simply not possible -- and anyone claiming it is just isn't well-travelled in the college/semi-pro baseball world. Can it still be magical in the outfield a few times a year? Sure. But it won't be the JONES'S -- nor will it pretend to be KEEPING UP WITH THEM. This is due to the lack of sightlines down the foul lines with NO WAY to fix with the current grandstand in place...

This is the age of open concourses -- being able to watch games from the concession stands -- etc...Before we spend $30 mil throwing lipstick on the pig, why would we not just tear it down and start over in a Trustmark Park -- Carolina Stadium -- New Alex Box -- Baum mold? Those stadiums are basically modular -- you can watch the game from ANYWHERE in the stadium and actually see -- etc. You don't even realize when they expand skyboxes every other year at Baum -- because they just add onto the end of what they have in a manner in which it was already designed to do.

1985 baseball technology /=/ 2015 baseball technology. The game has changed. We've got to change with it.

Stricklin always talks about "great experiences" -- well, if you aren't in a chairback or a lounge, Dudy Noble is a MISERABLE experience... That's what he has to fix first and foremost.

FlabLoser
06-20-2013, 01:18 PM
I took my 8 year old son to a MS Braves game. We come back home and he tells his 10 year old sister that we watched a little bit of baseball, ate some good food, and rolled around on a hill in the outfield.

Sister wants to go now because she didn't know that kids could go have fun at a baseball game.

engie
06-20-2013, 01:31 PM
So what does that entail? double deck it? build a dome? I'm serious.

I want it to be the best also. I just think we are closer than everyone else. I don't think it will take that much. I hate the bleachers. That the biggest question of how to make better. All the rest is easy.

We're not closer than anyone else. We're further away than Blue Bell, Swayze, or Sewell Thomas is/were due to the angle on our grandstands...

Will James
06-20-2013, 01:50 PM
I agree that the lounge prices can be increased a little but that area has a lot of the commoners if you know what I mean. Take market price for the skyboxes but 5-10K per year for a lounge spot for a majority of lounge owners is a huge burden; not all have 20-30 people to pitch in. It's a whole lot different than the lifetime seats for people that never come. The lounge is a staple that should not be ****ed with, its just a different, better form of outfield bleachers. You shouldn't gouge people for that, especially if we go honor system and let everybody in the grandstands.

500$ a year MAX per lounge spot.

Sandman14
06-20-2013, 01:56 PM
So do the open concourse idea down the first and third lines. The point is that you'll take all the pressure off the current grandstand and it really won't be a big deal anymore. The idea that you can spend 25MM in renovations or build a whole new stadium for 35MM..well...first off, that's an extra 10MM. Secondly, you cannot convince me that keeping what we have and adding 25MM in new structures and renovations of the old will put us in worse shape than a new stadium. I firmly believe we will have a better product by keeping what we have and adding new structures/renovating.

when you use the caps, does that mean you are screaming, engie?

and let me just tell you this: if we build a modern day grandstand/open concourse down first base line and then also build another whole one down third base line, having suites along the top which adjoin the current suites, then we will have the best facility in the nation. so get outta here with that "it's not possible" stuff...

War Machine Dawg
06-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Again -- New Alex Box was built for $36 million. Carolina Stadium was built for $35.6 million. Swayze was renovated for $18 million. Sewell Thomas just got approved for a $30 million "renovation". Blue Bell renovation cost was $24 million. For comparison purposes, Trustmark Park was constructed for $28mil($32.9mil today). Swayze was, of course, cheaper -- because they were able to use the same site. But for all intents and purposes, that is a brand new baseball stadium. Very little of it was saved from the past.

There is NO WAY Dudy Noble goes "back to the top" with the current grandstand structure in place. Simply not possible -- and anyone claiming it is just isn't well-travelled in the college/semi-pro baseball world. Can it still be magical in the outfield a few times a year? Sure. But it won't be the JONES'S -- nor will it pretend to be KEEPING UP WITH THEM. This is due to the lack of sightlines down the foul lines with NO WAY to fix with the current grandstand in place...

This is the age of open concourses -- being able to watch games from the concession stands -- etc...Before we spend $30 mil throwing lipstick on the pig, why would we not just tear it down and start over in a Trustmark Park -- Carolina Stadium -- New Alex Box -- Baum mold? Those stadiums are basically modular -- you can watch the game from ANYWHERE in the stadium and actually see -- etc. You don't even realize when they expand skyboxes every other year at Baum -- because they just add onto the end of what they have in a manner in which it was already designed to do.

1985 baseball technology /=/ 2015 baseball technology. The game has changed. We've got to change with it.

Stricklin always talks about "great experiences" -- well, if you aren't in a chairback or a lounge, Dudy Noble is a MISERABLE experience... That's what he has to fix first and foremost.

Engie dropping the hammer aGAIN! Spot on, my man. For approximately an extra $7-10M, we could have the absolute best stadium in the nation. You can't convince me it isn't worth it, because it absolutely is. The only thing holding is back is LT 2.0 and our "think small, stay small" part of the fanbase. Sentimentality can be both good and bad. I get the sentimental value of The Dude, but at some point you gotta let go. That point has arrived for The Dude.

SheltonChoked
06-20-2013, 02:08 PM
If that's what happens to make DNF the best again, I'm fine with that. But I don't think that should be the starting block. I want HKS to give us 2 plans and 2 estimates. One major remodel, and one new build. If it really is a less than $10million difference, I'd lean toward a rebuild with a better long term expansion plan.

bobcat91
06-20-2013, 02:54 PM
What makes Dudy Noble special is the fans, the players and the intercation between them. Period. We built a substandard facility and now it needs more than a facelift to be in the top parks in the country. To do what needs to be done, the grandstand needs to be torn down and rebuilt, new boxes and chairback the lines. We would have more people attending if our facilities were nicer: most folks are not going to sit on high school bleachers. I am not interested in playgrounds and the grassy knoll. Get out from under the seat licences and make the seating based on giving/attendance. Brick the outside, add more concessions and restroom facilities including new and expanded ones in the left and right outfield areas. We badly need to set up a ticket exchange whichg would fill the grandstand for each game.

Political Hack
06-20-2013, 02:58 PM
keep the LFL, rip the rest down and start over.

Sandman14
06-20-2013, 02:58 PM
you guys who keep talking about larry templeton and small thinking are simply throwing out a red herring. you seek to put those of us who like the renovation idea into a box qualified as "small thinking." it's an ignorant argument. just stick to the facts.

if you can do a renovation for 25 MM and rebuild for 36 MM, then I'd like to see what a contractor can do as far as building new structures for 36MM that adjoin the existing structures.

The reason the other guys tore down the old and built new was that their old was not nearly as good a structure as Dudy Noble.

We can sit here and debate it, but unless you are a contractor, I won't be convinced.

engie
06-20-2013, 03:23 PM
So do the open concourse idea down the first and third lines. The point is that you'll take all the pressure off the current grandstand and it really won't be a big deal anymore. The idea that you can spend 25MM in renovations or build a whole new stadium for 35MM..well...first off, that's an extra 10MM. Secondly, you cannot convince me that keeping what we have and adding 25MM in new structures and renovations of the old will put us in worse shape than a new stadium. I firmly believe we will have a better product by keeping what we have and adding new structures/renovating.

when you use the caps, does that mean you are screaming, engie?

and let me just tell you this: if we build a modern day grandstand/open concourse down first base line and then also build another whole one down third base line, having suites along the top which adjoin the current suites, then we will have the best facility in the nation. so get outta here with that "it's not possible" stuff...

No, it simply means I want the word or phrase emphasized and not overlooked in what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is common sense to ANYONE that has ever sat in the bleachers and realize the actual problem here. You championing these ideas simply shows, repeatedly, the fact that you are failing to visualize the problem down those baselines -- basically meaning you've never sat your ass in those bleachers.

So, you propose that we build two open concourses -- which whould have to drop off down staircases behind the main grandstands to where you can't see anything from them behind the plate -- where even if you get a great seat -- or stand on the front row -- the sightlines are STILL TERRIBLE due to the angle on the stands obstructing view and forcing you to turn your head so far to the left to view the game.

There is no simple fix with that grandstand in place. It took Byrne about a month on the job to know that was our only option -- and he talked about it regularly. I wish he would talk some sense into Stricklin as well.

So, you want to bring Suites down the foul lines -- that fight the same exact problem that the bleachers currently have? Here's the problem with the current angles.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130620-s0be-128kb.jpg

New Alex Box has a ton of bleachers. They, themselves, aren't the problem at Dudy Noble. The sightlines are the problem.

Try holding your head at the angle presented for a couple of hours and get back to me how spending a couple g's on a box would work out for you down those foul lines...

engie
06-20-2013, 03:35 PM
if you can do a renovation for 25 MM and rebuild for 36 MM, then I'd like to see what a contractor can do as far as building new structures for 36MM that adjoin the existing structures.
So, you'd buy a 30 year old used car for 70% of the price of new? You can spend 2/3 the money and not fix the biggest core problem -- or spend a little extra and fix them all.

The reason the other guys tore down the old and built new was that their old was not nearly as good a structure as Dudy Noble.
This is where you are wrong. Dudy Noble was great 28 years ago when we built it -- but it has had ZERO SEMBLANCE of "the best" in years. Alex Box was built to it's big size AFTER Dudy Noble -- and that didn't stop them from tearing it down and starting over. AND it could easily be argued that more history happened in that park than Dudy Noble -- and it was JUST as endearing to the fans. But go try to find one today that still wishes they played in the old yard...

We can sit here and debate it, but unless you are a contractor, I won't be convinced.
So, you want a contractor to convince you on engineering and architecture matters? Contractors don't design stadiums -- they build what is designed.

And, for 100% fact, Janet Marie Smith is already looking at Dudy Noble. That's the MSU architecture grad responsible for Camden Yards, the Fenway Renovation, and several other major ballpark projects...

Spider-Man
06-20-2013, 03:38 PM
I guess I just don't go to enough games or I just enjoy my experience so much that I just don't care about having to sit in the bleachers.

engie
06-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Here's TD Ameritrade. Notice the difference in the construction of the grandstands.
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130620-hnp1-60kb.jpg

Here's new Alex Box. See how the grandstand is built parallel to the baseline? This allows the stands down the foul lines to be angled in toward the plate -- providing better sight lines. As they further expand boxes down those lines in the future, it allows the same to be true about them just by following the angle of the existing seats. Here's the difference between "expanding" premium seating at Alex Box vs at Dudy Noble.
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130620-iqp5-108kb.jpg

engie
06-20-2013, 03:49 PM
I guess I just don't go to enough games or I just enjoy my experience so much that I just don't care about having to sit in the bleachers.

I HATE those bleachers. My neck still hurts at the thought of sitting out there looking so far to the left or right.

I think even if you added swiveling chairbacks down the lines, so you could turn your chair to face the plate, your sightline still sucks because you are looking "through" the guy sitting beside you...

Spider-Man
06-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Do those in favor or a new stadium want the same field? Or a new field entirely?

engie
06-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Do those in favor or a new stadium want the same field? Or a new field entirely?

I want to keep everything from the field and outfield basically the same. I want to raise the scoreboard(so a berm of seating can be placed below it) -- and I want to build berms in right field behind the lounges as a dedicated student section. This likely entails moving the fence and sidewalk in that area out closer to the road and a pretty significant amount of dirt being brought in.

I'd also like to see a dedicated "walking path/level" behind the lounges. It's too hard to get from point a to point b out there...

Bullmutt
06-20-2013, 04:32 PM

Engie-

There may be a way. Your thoughts re: my earlier post (pg. 3)?

Todd4State
06-20-2013, 05:40 PM
I've watched baseball all over America. If you see what's out there and compare it to Dudy- Noble, there is no question we need a new grandstand. Some of our fans don't travel around and they think that what we have is tops in the SEC and it just isn't.

Busch Stadium II was state of the art in its day, and some teams even copied it. There were plenty of magical moments there. But now that Busch Stadium III is here, I don't know one single Cardinals fan that prefers Busch II over III. And the magical moments haven't stopped either.

I think the same would happen at Dudy-Noble.

And I disagree about gouging the rig owners. I think 1K is reasonable for the season in lieu of buying season tickets, which they have to buy at present.

codeDawg
06-20-2013, 07:29 PM
And I disagree about gouging the rig owners. I think 1K is reasonable for the season in lieu of buying season tickets, which they have to buy at present.

It's not about gouging anybody, but the disparity between what is paid now and the price people would pay is huge.

Coach34
06-20-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm telling you a family area is a great addition. None of you have small kids I guess. It's an easy Moneymaker and it's getting the next generation in.

This is a must

Will James
06-20-2013, 08:28 PM
This is a must

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5338/7366818062_82b7a32a55_z.jpg

Why? Let the wimmens stay at home with the kids playground age.

FlabLoser
06-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Kids area at Trustmark Park is way out in a concourse behind the right field seating. It's not like a kiddie area has to be in place of prime seating.

I'd like to see bigger berms around the outfield and kid area in foul territory behind the right field pole. Maybe behind the outfield rigs if the berms are high enough to watch the kids and glance at the game.

Will James
06-20-2013, 09:44 PM
How do we manage 55K at Davis Wade without having a playground?

SheltonChoked
06-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Will. It's obvious you don't have kids. Trust us. It's a must.

Otherwise, shut the **** up about a kids area and bitch about bunting or something.

FlabLoser
06-20-2013, 09:55 PM
How do we manage 55K at Davis Wade without having a playground?

Seen the junction much?

Will James
06-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Will. It's obvious you don't have kids. Trust us. It's a must.

Otherwise, shut the **** up about a kids area and bitch about bunting or something.

OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH

Well how about we stick the kiddies out in the back of the outfield. When you walk thru the back gate there is a lot of space along the right, correct?

Will James
06-20-2013, 10:48 PM

Kiddie Area here

codeDawg
06-20-2013, 11:03 PM
OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH

Well how about we stick the kiddies out in the back of the outfield. When you walk thru the back gate there is a lot of space along the right, correct?

Dude. Seriously? That is exactly where the kiddie area is now. All the people with kids + enough money / connections to have a lounge setup are back there. The ones that don't are at home because the kids get bored out of their mind and want to go home in the 4th inning.

That's the point. Baseball games should be family friendly. You can't leave the kids at the tailgate with Mom like you can in football, and the people with the kids are the ones with the money to spend.

Will James
06-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Dude. Seriously? That is exactly where the kiddie area is now. All the people with kids + enough money / connections to have a lounge setup are back there. The ones that don't are at home because the kids get bored out of their mind and want to go home in the 4th inning.

That's the point. Baseball games should be family friendly. You can't leave the kids at the tailgate with Mom like you can in football, and the people with the kids are the ones with the money to spend.

Follow my arrow. Put the playground/see how fast you throw/kid stuff you see at pro games in the very back. Like MLB stadiums. There aren't lounges where I'm talking about, just grass where people used to park when they used to let cars in. Then we don't have kids playtime around people who actually watch the game.

Todd4State
06-20-2013, 11:53 PM
I like the playground idea. Having it in right field where The Dudes are concerns me. I'd like for right field to be for the students. Is having a play area behind the CF wall a horrible idea?

Sandman14
06-21-2013, 01:20 AM
I've watched baseball all over America. If you see what's out there and compare it to Dudy- Noble, there is no question we need a new grandstand. Some of our fans don't travel around and they think that what we have is tops in the SEC and it just isn't.

Doesn't "gouging" imply that you are doing something wrong or inappropriate? Giving away free stuff (undercharging) is stupid. Like has already been said, charging market price is just common sense.

Since I don't travel the country watching baseball, Todd, I wanted to take a quick view of the SEC.

Auburn: Sucks compared to Dudy Noble

http://www.auburntigers.com/facilities/aub-facilities-basebl.html

Alabama: Sucks compared to Dudy Noble

http://www.rolltide.com/facilities/sewell-thomas.html

Florida: Totally unimpressive

Missouri: A joke, much worse than Dudy Noble

Georgia: Worse

Kentucky: See Mizzou

It's too late to keep going through these, but I'd bet Vandy and Tennessee are similar or worse.

I don't even see how we are in the bottom half currently.

SheltonChoked
06-21-2013, 06:58 AM
As long as it is elevated enough or has tv's there to be able to watch the game, I don't care. But there has to be one.

Easy money. More tickets, more concessions, less getting bothered by kids.

dickiedawg
06-21-2013, 08:41 AM
I agree. The kids already play on that hill will is referring to.
Refusing to see a play area as a benefit is just ridiculous.

Sandman14
06-21-2013, 08:57 AM
most people have kids. if you don't have kids, you don't have a clue. having spots for kids is of extreme importance. the kids don't want to watch but about 2 innings. they want to leave if they don't have things to keep them occupied.

SaltyDawg
06-21-2013, 09:41 AM
I don't have kids, so I guess I don't understand. But, to me the main emphasis needs to be put on the 20,000+ students that live in Starkville- get them excited and the opportunities are endless.

Sandman14
06-21-2013, 09:50 AM
well...I don't really see the problem according to this article:

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/msu/2013/05/24/college-baseball-attendance-numbers-msu-in-top-5/

Just based off what's currently going on, these numbers will increase next season.

To me, the folks you are trying to lure are the Jackson and Memphis young professionals with families. They could just as easily listen on the radio. They need a reason to drive 2 hours plus. They need to know its going to be plenty of fun for the kids....and that we are bad-ass on the diamond...and that they can show up and get a chair back.