PDA

View Full Version : Watch Patterson's 4-2-5...

engie
12-31-2014, 01:03 PM
Most think it's the most ideal scheme out there right now for defending the spread... calls in on playcards just like the offense in hurry up... makes it a cat and mouse game and slows the offense down quite often...

It's a damn shame his coaching tree isn't bigger, given he's a defensive guy and his DC has been with him for a very long time...

Calls front 4 separate from back 7. Think the DL coach calls that. Makes what they do seem exotic and multiple when it's pretty simple in general...

Calls back 7 in 2 sides, split down the middle. This lets one side be in man, one in zone, etc... The 2 safeties don't generally play in the box, but they are often in run support.

Very aggressive -- but not reckless.

engie
12-31-2014, 01:04 PM
As I said that -- another 3 and out...

engie
12-31-2014, 01:09 PM
They are DARING him to beat them over the top with pressure... They are all over the short shit...

How Collins failed to come up with a similar gameplan will forever tarnish his legacy at MSU...

msstate7
12-31-2014, 01:13 PM
I'm loving this defense. I wonder how it matches up with power teams like lsu and ark

thf24
12-31-2014, 01:14 PM
I love the 4-2-5. So versatile; even more so than the 3-4 in my opinion. I'd love to see us run it, although we'd have to come up with several Matt Wells/Tony Conner/Jamal Peters types pretty consistently, which is obviously a tall order.

War Machine Dawg
12-31-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm loving this defense. I wonder how it matches up with power teams like lsu and ark

They'd get smashed.

MabenMaroon
12-31-2014, 01:17 PM
They'd get smashed.

What if they had SEC caliber size athletes?

engie
12-31-2014, 01:18 PM

Not as good probably.

But they don't play any real power teams to know.

In reality, Wommack has kinda tried to copy this defense. Freeze is on the record saying they are going to try to incorporate the hurry up aspect to it this offseason...

msstate7
12-31-2014, 01:19 PM

Watching this game, I'd say they have sec athletes now. Undersized, but fast

Rayburn8
12-31-2014, 01:19 PM

They would have TSUN's defense. They run a 4-2-5 and it is why they can not stop power running games.

engie
12-31-2014, 01:20 PM

The ideal thing is to be multiple...

The main thing in this D is that both safeties have to be badasses, both in skill and intellect and hybrid ability... They are asked to do ALOT...

engie
12-31-2014, 01:21 PM
They would have TSUN's defense. They run a 4-2-5 and it is why they can not stop power running games.

Stopped us in our tracks...

OM DL personnel lets them be multiple. They are still pretty inferior at LB though...

MetEdDawg
12-31-2014, 01:23 PM
I love the 4-2-5 in certain scenarios and against certain teams. I think it's important in today's college football for your defense to be multiple because of the wide variety of offensive packages teams now implement during a single game.

I think 4-2-5 is something we certainly need to implement because it could stop a lot of what teams like OM, TAMU, and Auburn do. But you would never throw that out there against Bama, Arkansas, or LSU. So it's important to be multiple in what you do defensively. But I certainly agree that a 4-2-5 is something we need to consider adding in to our defensive scheme. I think we obviously have the personnel to run a 4-3 or a 3-4 right now.

Rayburn8
12-31-2014, 01:23 PM
Stopped us in our tracks...

OM DL personnel lets them be multiple. They are still pretty inferior at LB though...
It's a great defense I am more of a fan of the 3-3-5 however if you have ther personal to run it.

thf24
12-31-2014, 01:24 PM
I don't think it's weak by nature against power running teams, but you'd have to have two elite linebackers and two elite strong safety/hybrid linebacker types. Very dependent on top end talent, as it seems most exotic defenses are.

RougeDawg
12-31-2014, 01:26 PM
Defending the spread only requires pressure from multiple angles on different plays. Nothing less, nothing more. Force the offense to make a quick decision and then clean up. Simple philosophy. In the EB we sat back and allowed the offense to dictate the plays. That's why we lost. Period.

engie
12-31-2014, 01:27 PM
TCU is a good example, because they recruit much the same way we do...

Their safeties = Brandon Bryant/Mark McLaurin out of position types from HS...

Dawgfan77
12-31-2014, 01:31 PM
I love the 4-2-5. So versatile; even more so than the 3-4 in my opinion. I'd love to see us run it, although we'd have to come up with several Matt Wells/Tony Conner/Jamal Peters types pretty consistently, which is obviously a tall order.

That's a main reason TCU cruits WR and RB and turns them into de safety's and LBs. Wells was a 4* RB out of hs

War Machine Dawg
12-31-2014, 01:41 PM
I love the 4-2-5 in certain scenarios and against certain teams. I think it's important in today's college football for your defense to be multiple because of the wide variety of offensive packages teams now implement during a single game.

I think 4-2-5 is something we certainly need to implement because it could stop a lot of what teams like OM, TAMU, and Auburn do. But you would never throw that out there against Bama, Arkansas, or LSU. So it's important to be multiple in what you do defensively. But I certainly agree that a 4-2-5 is something we need to consider adding in to our defensive scheme. I think we obviously have the personnel to run a 4-3 or a 3-4 right now.

Spot on. You have to be multiple in today's college football to be consistently successful on D.

http://i.imgur.com/ywCs67G.gif

BulldogBear
12-31-2014, 01:44 PM
Honestly, this is just pissing me off. Psycho Defense indeed.