PDA

View Full Version : Bright side to current MBB malaise, a broader outlook.

MabenMaroon
12-31-2014, 11:57 AM
One positive that can be gleaned from this years season, is the women's basketball season. The Lady Dawgs will become the preferred event at the Hump for the remainder of the season. They will also garner more press and headlines. If they continue on the current course in program building, it is foreseeable that they may become a self sustaining program and possibly even generate a little bit of revenue. Granted they will never generate the kind of revenue and exposure that a upper echelon SEC team could but it will positive exposure for us none the less.
I know that football is no.1 and carries the financial load for everybody else but national exposure for the women's sports such as basketball or softball can help the football program. Right now the women's basketball has current players/recruits from the East Texas/Houston area, Tallahasse and central Alabama ( Birmingham area, Shades valley ). The softball has some players and elite recruits from California, Texas, North Carolina, and Virginia. If these gals do well and get national exposure and coverage it can only help with the football recruiting in those areas due to families, high school alumnus, relatives. etc. Might cause football recruits to take a second look when that interest letter from MSU comes to the mailbox where otherwise they might just chuckle or laugh and throw it in the trash. They may say, hey that real cute elite softball player from our hs or locally famous lady basketball player is going to MSU and their football team was in the Top10 last year, shoot they were ranked no.1 for a while. The successes in the ladies program can only help in changing and improving the national perspective of our school.
Bottom line to this diatribe, that while a lot of us won't be spending money and effort to attend a men's game this year, when in the past they would have, maybe throw a little support the women's way. The women can certainly use and deserve our support and who knows it may indirectly or directly help out the men's programs as well.

nsvltndog
12-31-2014, 12:10 PM
Women's sports at MSU are on the rise with strong results in basketball, softball, and golf (who I believe also spent some time at #1 this fall). I'm not sure where we stand on women's tennis and track/field, but I noticed we are making a coaching change in volleyball to try to get it turned around.

I had a lady pull up next to me at a stop light near my home in Northern Virginia near Washington DC 2-3 months ago waving her arms at me to roll down my window. As frantic as she appeared I was afraid my car was on fire or something, but she had seen my MSU sticker on the back window and just wanted to introduce herself as the mother of a recent MSU graduate that played for our softball program. She was super excited to see an MSU fan. She spent the next 45 seconds while we waited for the light to change talking about how much they loved going down to Starkville, the great experience her daughter had, and how much they are missing it already. I'm not sure how much it translates into football recruiting, but the more folks like this lady and her daughter that speak highly of MSU, the better off we will be.

MabenMaroon
12-31-2014, 12:39 PM
Women's sports at MSU are on the rise with strong results in basketball, softball, and golf (who I believe also spent some time at #1 this fall). I'm not sure where we stand on women's tennis and track/field, but I noticed we are making a coaching change in volleyball to try to get it turned around.

I had a lady pull up next to me at a stop light near my home in Northern Virginia near Washington DC 2-3 months ago waving her arms at me to roll down my window. As frantic as she appeared I was afraid my car was on fire or something, but she had seen my MSU sticker on the back window and just wanted to introduce herself as the mother of a recent MSU graduate that played for our softball program. She was super excited to see an MSU fan. She spent the next 45 seconds while we waited for the light to change talking about how much they loved going down to Starkville, the great experience her daughter had, and how much they are missing it already. I'm not sure how much it translates into football recruiting, but the more folks like this lady and her daughter that speak highly of MSU, the better off we will be.

It can't hurt,improving the national perception.