PDA

View Full Version : Want to see what a coach that has given up looks like?

TheRef
12-30-2014, 10:31 PM
Here we see the coach that has given up in the wild...notice how he sits while his team flounders on the court.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6JqjyjCEAAgzFo.jpg

CadaverDawg
12-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Surprised we had that many fans show up

TheRef
12-30-2014, 10:39 PM
Surprised we had that many fans show up

Announced attendance was over 5,000....I laughed my ass off in the car when I heard it.

CadaverDawg
12-30-2014, 10:42 PM
Announced attendance was over 5,000....I laughed my ass off in the car when I heard it.

We shouldn't be allowed to announce something so blatantly false. If the rest of the stadium looked like that picture, I'd be shocked if there were 500

archdog
12-30-2014, 10:44 PM
Last week I am telling there were dozens there to see us lose to ark state.

archdog
12-30-2014, 10:45 PM
Looks more like a fanbase that has given up.

TheRef
12-30-2014, 10:46 PM

If you saw the lack of fire and intensity from our team, you would have given up too. I seriously felt like leaving during the game because of the lack of effort I saw on the court.

engie
12-30-2014, 10:48 PM
Throwing in the towel how he is is unforgivable. You quit like he apparently is -- you don't get till the end of the year.

MetEdDawg
12-30-2014, 10:49 PM
Does anyone have any insight here? Was there a tipping point that would have made us make a move before the season was over? I think most of us thought Ray would get next year when we were 5-0. Now we are 6-6 with losses to Arkansas State and McNeese State. Does anyone have any info on whether or not a move is going to be made or if there were any specific expectations by the athletic department for the season?

tcdog70
12-30-2014, 10:50 PM

This Guy ^^^^ gets it

engie
12-30-2014, 10:51 PM
Does anyone have any insight here? Was there a tipping point that would have made us make a move before the season was over? I think most of us thought Ray would get next year when we were 5-0. Now we are 6-6 with loses to Arkansas State and McNeese State. Does anyone have any info on whether or not a move is going to be made or if there were any specific expectations by the athletic department for the season?

Just guessing -- but I don't think Stricklin will move midseason. Just not much to gain from it. That said, a clear "quit" like was apparently shown tonight, and he may not have a choice...

msstate7
12-30-2014, 10:51 PM
Does anyone have any insight here? Was there a tipping point that would have made us make a move before the season was over? I think most of us thought Ray would get next year when we were 5-0. Now we are 6-6 with loses to Arkansas State and McNeese State. Does anyone have any info on whether or not a move is going to be made or if there were any specific expectations by the athletic department for the season?

I don't think he'll get fired before the season is over unless there's some major off the court issues that arise.

TheRef
12-30-2014, 10:54 PM
FYI, that photo was taken in the second half and he sat there for 5 minutes and stayed quiet.

MetEdDawg
12-30-2014, 10:55 PM
Just guessing -- but I don't think Stricklin will move midseason. Just not much to gain from it. That said, a clear "quit" like was apparently shown tonight, and he may not have a choice...

I guess it doesn't really help anything and may make the team quit all together (if that hasn't happened already). Not much to be gained I suppose by making a move now but this is hard to watch. Hard to continue on this path which at this point very clearly leads to nowhere.

bluelightstar
12-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Doubt we fire him midseason. What's that accomplish except giving us the blood we're looking for right now?

dickiedawg
12-30-2014, 11:19 PM
We shouldn't be allowed to announce something so blatantly false. If the rest of the stadium looked like that picture, I'd be shocked if there were 500

They announce paid attendance plus students. Apparently that's what every school does now.

Political Hack
12-30-2014, 11:21 PM

don't laugh. Engie uses that number to show that Ray hasn't tanked the program.

engie
12-30-2014, 11:24 PM

No, Engie uses that number to show that Stansbury had began to tank the program before Ray threw the dirt on top. Go back and look at when I've actually played that card. It was always about "well the Hump was loaded and rocking before Ray...."

Or where you insisted that Ray was costing us a tremendous amount of basketball revenue -- when it actually wasn't a notable difference from Stansbury's last couple of years to Ray's first couple.

BeardoMSU
12-30-2014, 11:24 PM

It probably looks like this....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5TUIvla9ewY/ThF2SYpWmiI/AAAAAAAAAK8/iOpnDrdOXeU/s1600/Matrix-Code%2B%2B2.gif

Political Hack
12-30-2014, 11:34 PM
No, Engie uses that number to show that Stansbury had began to tank the program before Ray threw the dirt on top. Go back and look at when I've actually played that card. It was always about "well the Hump was loaded and rocking before Ray...."

Or where you insisted that Ray was costing us a tremendous amount of basketball revenue -- when it actually wasn't a notable difference from Stansbury's last couple of years to Ray's first couple.

you're still contending that Ray isn't costing us revenue through the basketball program?

codeDawg
12-30-2014, 11:34 PM
Somebody needs to tell him to just cash his check and go home. I don't blame the guy. It's over, and there really isn't anything to do about it at this point, but I'm sure there is an assistant who wants a shot at putting forth some effort.

TheDogFather
12-30-2014, 11:35 PM
Rick Stansbury used to sit on the bench and he won.

TheDogFather
12-30-2014, 11:36 PM
This Guy ^^^^ gets it

Where the hell has he been? Fan base gave up long ago. I didn't even know we were playing.

codeDawg
12-30-2014, 11:36 PM
you're still contending that Ray isn't costing us revenue through the basketball program?

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/idahopress.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/61/461b50e2-d85f-11e1-b1dd-0019bb2963f4/501353eebfe4b.image.jpg

engie
12-30-2014, 11:39 PM

Where did I recently contend this?

Those documents and argument from a year ago sure do seem to have hurt your feelings.

He didn't cost us much in years 1 and 2. We'll see what year 3 "cost" us on July 1 when it's released...

HoopsDawg
12-30-2014, 11:47 PM
Somebody needs to tell him to just cash his check and go home. I don't blame the guy. It's over, and there really isn't anything to do about it at this point, but I'm sure there is an assistant who wants a shot at putting forth some effort.

I don't blame Ray either. Ray seems like a good guy, a smart person, and he probably knows basketball. He just wasn't qualified or prepared for a job of this magnitude and difficulty. The blame falls on Stricklin for firing Stans without a good plan in place. This point can not be argued.

TheDogFather
12-30-2014, 11:50 PM

What about Rick Stansbury caused us to lose tonight?

Political Hack
12-30-2014, 11:51 PM
Where did I recently contend this?

Those documents and argument from a year ago sure do seem to have hurt your feelings.

He didn't cost us much in years 1 and 2. We'll see what year 3 "cost" us on July 1 when it's released...

you think an internet argument hurt my feelings?

500 people showing up to the hump to be told 5,000 attended hurts my feelings. having a shitastic basketball program hurts my feelings. Having Gomer Pile run a major college basketball hiring search hurts my feelings. Seeing a team that's embarassed to take the damn floor hurts my feelings.

TheDogFather
12-30-2014, 11:53 PM
Does anyone have any insight here? Was there a tipping point that would have made us make a move before the season was over? I think most of us thought Ray would get next year when we were 5-0. Now we are 6-6 with losses to Arkansas State and McNeese State. Does anyone have any info on whether or not a move is going to be made or if there were any specific expectations by the athletic department for the season?

I have some.

We will make a move after many years competing for championships, hanging several banners, going to post season at least the majority of the time, and winning more games than every sec team not named Kentucky or Florida.

Oh wait.

engie
12-30-2014, 11:54 PM
What about Rick Stansbury caused us to lose tonight?

Who said anything to spark this question?

engie
12-30-2014, 11:56 PM
you think an internet argument hurt my feelings?

500 people showing up to the hump to be told 5,000 attended hurts my feelings. having a shitastic basketball program hurts my feelings. Having Gomer Pile run a major college basketball hiring search hurts my feelings. Seeing a team that's embarassed to take the damn floor hurts my feelings.

What part of this makes you different than anyone else that calls themselves an MSU fan?

You went to hyperbole to make your point last year -- and I showed the actual income numbers and paid attendance numbers to highlight the hyperbole. Nothing more or less.

TheDogFather
12-31-2014, 12:10 AM
Who said anything to spark this question?

Ummm. Your post. And its multiple references to Stansbury. And the history of your opinions. And the...

BeardoMSU
12-31-2014, 12:33 AM
I have some.

We will make a move after many years competing for championships, hanging several banners, going to post season at least the majority of the time, and winning more games than every sec team not named Kentucky or Florida.

Oh wait.

How many of those "banners" and "champions" we're due to an incredibly weak sec west slate and resulted in a trip to the nit?

I'll hang up and listen....

Dawg61
12-31-2014, 01:06 AM
I have some.

Oh wait.

By the time Stansbury got fired we were 4th in the SEC during his tenure in wins and were about to get passed by several more schools. UK, Florida, Tennessee, MSU.

drunkernhelldawg
12-31-2014, 01:07 AM
Doubt we fire him midseason. What's that accomplish except giving us the blood we're looking for right now?

Doesn't accomplish much but doesn't give up much either. Huge mess either way.

drunkernhelldawg
12-31-2014, 01:13 AM
How many of those "banners" and "champions" we're due to an incredibly weak sec west slate and resulted in a trip to the nit?

Totally disagree. Stans put a team out there that could compete with any other team. Not his fault that no other west team was keeping up. As I said in an earlier post, Stans had a winning record against every team from Arkansas Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana. I think Tennessee too, but I'd have to check. So many people casually say "Stans can't coach." The results say otherwise. Not saying it was all up, but I do think it's something that he dominated our region the way he did.

Political Hack
12-31-2014, 01:14 AM
What part of this makes you different than anyone else that calls themselves an MSU fan?

You went to hyperbole to make your point last year -- and I showed the actual income numbers and paid attendance numbers to highlight the hyperbole. Nothing more or less.

you showed announced attendance which is not actual attendance. actual attendance and fan participation impacts basketball revenue too, including on-campus sales and increased donations. If you want to stick your head in the sand and say you were right about Rick Ray, feel free brother.

Intramural All-American
12-31-2014, 01:29 AM
Totally disagree. Stans put a team out there that could compete with any other team. Not his fault that no other west team was keeping up. As I said in an earlier post, Stans had a winning record against every team from Arkansas Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana. I think Tennessee too, but I'd have to check. So many people casually say "Stans can't coach." The results say otherwise. Not saying it was all up, but I do think it's something that he dominated our region the way he did.

We went to the dance 2 times in Stans last 7 years, and one was as a 13 seed for winning the SEC tournament. He took our most talented team ever from #15 in December to losing the first round of the NIT in March in his last year. There's no reason to keep defending Stansbury. He's gone and he should be. Me and others thought Ray showed promise, we were wrong. He needs to be gone, as well. Hopefully the next coach will reunite the supporters. I have heard that Ray was promised 4 years, but it will be a disgrace if Stricklin allows another year of this. At some point you just have to cut bait.

JohnnyQuid
12-31-2014, 01:42 AM
I don't blame Ray either. Ray seems like a good guy, a smart person, and he probably knows basketball. He just wasn't qualified or prepared for a job of this magnitude and difficulty. The blame falls on Stricklin for firing Stans without a good plan in place. This point can not be argued.

This is pretty much it, dont get rid of what you have unless you have something as good or better waiting in the wings. We got rid of a 20 win/yr coach (bitch/moan about he off court shit, it couldnt wait another year to hire a real coach? It woulda been worse than what we saw past 3 yrs? doubtful.) without a real plan of hiring a coach as good as him. The "we need a guy to get us to the next lvl" guys got us here.

JohnnyQuid
12-31-2014, 01:45 AM
How many of those "banners" and "champions" we're due to an incredibly weak sec west slate

How bad is the SEC west right now and how bad of a shitburger are we that we're at the ass end of it.

JohnnyQuid
12-31-2014, 01:46 AM

You're so wrong, we needed a guy to get us to the next lvl ***** we phillip fulmer/david cutcliffed ourselves

Todd4State
12-31-2014, 02:28 AM
I normally don't advocate for firing a coach at midseason, but honestly in our case it's not going to hurt anything and it might help a little bit. Not much to lose really.

CadaverDawg
12-31-2014, 02:39 AM
We went to the dance 2 times in Stans last 7 years, and one was as a 13 seed for winning the SEC tournament. He took our most talented team ever from #15 in December to losing the first round of the NIT in March in his last year. There's no reason to keep defending Stansbury. He's gone and he should be. Me and others thought Ray showed promise, we were wrong. He needs to be gone, as well. Hopefully the next coach will reunite the supporters. I have heard that Ray was promised 4 years, but it will be a disgrace if Stricklin allows another year of this. At some point you just have to cut bait.

If Stricklin "promised" a guy with Ray's resume 4 years, he should be fired WITH Ray. Giving someone a million per year and telling them they are guaranteed 4 years regardless, is totally incompetent, and I hope like hell that Scott didn't do something so stupid. If Ray comes back next year, Our fan base will not stop until Scott is fired.

ETA: And I know you said "you have heard", so you aren't stating that as fact. My reaction is just the thought of Stricklin POSSIBLY making that promise is enough to make me want to puke.

M.Fillmore
12-31-2014, 02:50 AM

It's not like the SEC today is the Big East of the 1980s. The SEC is likely as bad now as it was in Stans heyday.

One thing positive thing about Ray that I hope continues, he is .500 against the Bears with lousy teams against some of their better teams. I'd love it if Ray could sneak a one more win against them this season.

Coach007
12-31-2014, 03:06 AM
I see a lot of people wanting to say a mistake was made, but not the balls to do so.

Stans should have never been fired. We wronged a man who was winning and had dedicated his career to MSU, turning down others to stay here. Karma......

dawgs
12-31-2014, 03:08 AM
This is pretty much it, dont get rid of what you have unless you have something as good or better waiting in the wings. We got rid of a 20 win/yr coach (bitch/moan about he off court shit, it couldnt wait another year to hire a real coach? It woulda been worse than what we saw past 3 yrs? doubtful.) without a real plan of hiring a coach as good as him. The "we need a guy to get us to the next lvl" guys got us here.

Wrong, our AD bungling the **** out of a hire beyond belief got us here.

Todd4State
12-31-2014, 03:47 AM
I see a lot of people wanting to say a mistake was made, but not the balls to do so.

Stans should have never been fired. We wronged a man who was winning and had dedicated his career to MSU, turning down others to stay here. Karma......

Yeah- because Stansbury is the only man in America that could possibly win at MSU in basketball. Just like Ron Polk is the only guy that can win at MSU in baseball.

Serious question- do other SEC schools have fans that are more loyal to the coach than the actual program itself? I've always thought it was pretty weird. "Hey, let's all sabotage the next coach so that we can prove a point".

This really isn't about "karma". It's about hiring a good basketball coach. Sounds to me like we hamstrung ourselves by trying to find a guy with no AAU ties. I wouldn't be shocked at all if that was a suggestion to the AD by some of Stansbury's "friends".

Todd4State
12-31-2014, 03:50 AM

What would waiting another year have done? All it would have accomplished is pushing everything back a year and wasted time.

How about hiring someone with AAU ties this time? Novel idea- I know.

sbcmortgageman
12-31-2014, 06:31 AM
I've never been an advocate of firing a coach mid season. Until now. Ray needs gone ASAP.

shannondawg
12-31-2014, 07:17 AM
I can't remember a single game as to where I walked into the Hump with the expectation of losing under Stansbury. Even in his last year. By the way he wasn't fired, he resigned and I know why. Regardless of claims to the contrary.

Basically him resigning is why we are in the shitstorm that we are now in, as our newbie AD was completely caught by surprise.

MadDawg
12-31-2014, 09:23 AM
This Guy ^^^^ gets it

Once it was apparent the university gave up on basketball, it's kind of hard to keep the fanbase interested.

Percho
12-31-2014, 10:35 AM
Here we see the coach that has given up in the wild...notice how he sits while his team flounders on the court.

What are those people doing at practice? :)

msstate7
12-31-2014, 10:43 AM

That crowd is pathetic. Mullen should tell the football team tonight that if they lose, they'll have to attend every basketball game start to finish. I can't think of a more motivational speech

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2014, 11:01 AM

Most talented team ever? Good lord I know people here hate Stans but that is asinine. I never saw much talent on that team with one exception. Some on it came in with big expectations and a lot of "stars" but they never showed much talent for the college game. The only one that did was the one that transfered.

Intramural All-American
12-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Most talented team ever? Good lord I know people here hate Stans but that is asinine. I never saw much talent on that team with one exception. Some on it came in with big expectations and a lot of "stars" but they never showed much talent for the college game. The only one that did was the one that transfered.

Two first-round draft picks ( moultrie and hood), the #9 player in his class (Sidney), and a guy that has done well in the D-League and gotten interest from the Jazz (bost). That is a load of talent, albeit that talent was wasted. Say all you want about Sidney, but that guy was one of the most gifted big men I've seen. He just was not ever held accountable. What teams have we had that were more talented?

dawgs
12-31-2014, 11:36 AM
Two first-round draft picks ( moultrie and hood), the #9 player in his class (Sidney), and a guy that has done well in the D-League and gotten interest from the Jazz (bost). That is a load of talent, albeit that talent was wasted. Say all you want about Sidney, but that guy was one of the most gifted big men I've seen. He just was not ever held accountable. What teams have we had that were more talented?

Not only that, but those guys (except hood) were experienced too.

BeardoMSU
12-31-2014, 11:59 AM

You can't be serious....