12-30-2014, 05:32 PM
This is all over TAMU 247 site...

HoopsDawg
12-30-2014, 05:43 PM
This is all over TAMU 247 site...

No wonder LSU looks like shit on D.

msstate7
12-30-2014, 05:45 PM
Wonder why he would do this. I'd rather be the DC for the team that puts a premium on defense and running the ball. I think this is a mistake

Any chance les is on the way out?

engie
12-30-2014, 05:59 PM
LSU offered him only a 30k raise -- and his contract wouldn't be owed in it's entirity(only 6 mo worth) if Les left. They basically halfassed him right out of town, it seems. Rumor is aTm is giving him 4 years guaranteed and maybe the most lucrative assistant contract ever.

Been telling everyone that aTm, like Auburn, was going to cherrypick someone. Didn't see it being Chavis, but knew it would be a big name...

HoopsDawg
12-30-2014, 06:07 PM
LSU offered him only a 30k raise -- and his contract wouldn't be owed in it's entirity(only 6 mo worth) if Les left. They basically halfassed him right out of town, it seems. Rumor is aTm is giving him 4 years guaranteed and maybe the most lucrative assistant contract ever.

Been telling everyone that aTm, like Auburn, was going to cherrypick someone. Didn't see it being Chavis, but knew it would be a big name...

I think chavis is over-rated. He is a good solid coordinator, but everyone who played UT and now LSU says that LSU is an easy scheme to prepare for. They just keep it simple and have elite athletes.

engie
12-30-2014, 06:13 PM
I think chavis is over-rated. He is a good solid coordinator, but everyone who played UT and now LSU says that LSU is an easy scheme to prepare for. They just keep it simple and have elite athletes.

Ask Tennessee fans how overrated he is right now, today...

Anytime you stay at a place as long as he has, you have fans that say that. It's never good enough. Anytime that happens, guys also get easier and easier to scheme for. Bama doesn't do anything exotic either. The more elite you are, the less you have to take chances, and the more fundamentally sound and simple you can be.

Chavis is the best spread-stopping DC in the country. Defense was down this year and played like 10 freshmen. Was STILL top 5 in the country.

DownwardDawg
12-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Not worried about this at all.

I seen it dawg
12-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Anybody watch Chavis get out coached at the end of another LSU game? He's way over-rated. LSU is a recruiting machine and has very average to below average coaches.

engie
12-30-2014, 06:19 PM
He was "fired" after a top 10 defense at Tennessee in 2008. They haven't seen the top 30 since then. He left Tennessee as the best defense in the conference. They haven't been better than 5th ever since. He has never been outside the top 3 in the SEC at LSU.

engie
12-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Anybody watch Chavis get out coached at the end of another LSU game? He's way over-rated. LSU is a recruiting machine and has very average to below average coaches.

Chavis allegedly wasn't calling the game today.

Bothrops
12-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Coach O to LSU?

HoopsDawg
12-30-2014, 06:21 PM
Ask Tennessee fans how overrated he is right now, today...

Anytime you stay at a place as long as he has, you have fans that say that. It's never good enough. Anytime that happens, guys also get easier and easier to scheme for. Bama doesn't do anything exotic either. The more elite you are, the less you have to take chances, and the more fundamentally sound and simple you can be.

Chavis is the best spread-stopping DC in the country. Defense was down this year and played like 10 freshmen. Was STILL top 5 in the country.

I don't have to ask fans anything. No one recruits on defense like LSU. I'll put it this way, if MSU were about to hire Chavis, I wouldn't even be that fired up about it.

I seen it dawg
12-30-2014, 06:21 PM
They will get better because they will finally get some defensive players recruited.

msstate7
12-30-2014, 06:22 PM
If chavis is as good as advertised, I'd rather he be at aTm next season. I think it'll take till '16 for aTm to get their defense in the top half of the sec. If lsu regresses next year on defense, it'll help us bc they're the bigger threat

I seen it dawg
12-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Chavis allegedly wasn't calling the game today.

Looked totally the same to me. LSU leaves a lot to be desired at the end of games on defense.

HoopsDawg
12-30-2014, 06:23 PM
If chavis is as good as advertised, I'd rather he be at aTm next season. I think it'll take till '16 for aTm to get their defense in the top half of the sec. If lsu regresses next year on defense, it'll help us bc they're the bigger threat

He will have a nice toy in Miles Garrett, that's for sure.

Really Clark?
12-30-2014, 06:25 PM

I don't know. In 19 seasons as a DC in the SEC he has had 14 defenses ranked in the top 4 of the league in total defense. Including his last year at Tennessee with the talent dwindling. Not to mention what he did in lower divisions as well. He has probably averaged a Top 15 defense nationally over his career. That's very consistent for nearly 20 years as a DC in the same league with a simple scheme.

AFDawg
12-30-2014, 06:29 PM
Coach O to LSU?

My question as well.

engie
12-30-2014, 06:32 PM
I don't have to ask fans anything. No one recruits on defense like LSU. I'll put it this way, if MSU were about to hire Chavis, I wouldn't even be that fired up about it.

So, how do you explain him being so elite at Tennessee -- a level they haven't been back even close to?

Excited about Ogre -- not about Chavis? This place has gone full spirittard.

VandelayIndustries
12-30-2014, 06:33 PM
Coach O to LSU?

LSU fans will be clamoring for this if Chavis goes to A&M

dawgclub99
12-30-2014, 06:38 PM
O would be a huge upgrade to Chavis.

engie
12-30-2014, 06:39 PM
LSU fans will be clamoring for this if Chavis goes to A&M

As a DL coach if Haley goes too, maybe. As a defensive coordinator? There seems to be widespread support for the idea in tigerland** http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/54611470/official-lets-hire-coach-orgeron-for-dc/

engie
12-30-2014, 06:40 PM

trollololol

VandelayIndustries
12-30-2014, 06:40 PM
es Miles says "John Chavis was very productive for us ... That's kind of all I'm going to say." Becoming pretty clear he's leaving..

Sounds like he is gone

VandelayIndustries
12-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Yea saw it there too engie. Chavis is gone

msstate7
12-30-2014, 06:42 PM
So does lsu give wommack a call?

engie
12-30-2014, 06:43 PM
Yep, he's gone...

I view it as net zero for us. We have to play him either way. aTm was going to hire a slam dunk DC either way. Now, LSU will do the same. Rinse, repeat.

VandelayIndustries
12-30-2014, 06:44 PM

Recruiting wise he would be, but I don't know about X's and O's

msstate7
12-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Recruiting wise he would be, but I don't know about X's and O's

How much better can lsu recruit?

Really Clark?
12-30-2014, 06:51 PM
I think if this turns out to happen, then our hire has to be a great fit and great coach. It's the biggest arms race in college football, playing in the SEC west.

Coach34
12-30-2014, 06:55 PM
Chavis is a good DC- but he is shitty at the ends of games.

MetEdDawg
12-30-2014, 06:56 PM
I think if this turns out to happen, then our hire has to be a great fit and great coach. It's the biggest arms race in college football, playing in the SEC west.

This. Bama has Kirby Smart. Auburn has Will Muschamp. TAMU will now have John Chavis. LSU is going to hire someone big. We HAVE to counter with something big here if we want to stay at the top of the conference. It should be very evident now that we have to start shelling out more money. We need to go big and we need to offer big money to a DC that is a great fit for our program. Teams win in the SEC West with defense and you are seeing that with the salaries these top guys command.

We invited ourselves to the big boy poker table this year. But we can't go to a $100 minimum buy in table with $50 bucks. Got to bring the cash to play and hang around for a while. Time we ponied up and paid someone the big bucks to show we are serious about competing.

Coach34
12-30-2014, 06:59 PM
This. Bama has Kirby Smart. Auburn has Will Muschamp. TAMU will now have John Chavis. LSU is going to hire someone big. We HAVE to counter with something big here if we want to stay at the top of the conference. It should be very evident now that we have to start shelling out more money. We need to go big and we need to offer big money to a DC that is a great fit for our program. Teams win in the SEC West with defense and you are seeing that with the salaries these top guys command.

We invited ourselves to the big boy poker table this year. But we can't go to a $100 minimum buy in table with $50 bucks. Got to bring the cash to play and hang around for a while. Time we ponied up and paid someone the big bucks to show we are serious about competing.

If what I'm hearing is true- it's 3 years/750K per

Outside Dawg
12-30-2014, 07:00 PM

My coworkers that are big lsu guys think O is gonna happen in some capacity. They are excited about it.

MetEdDawg
12-30-2014, 07:02 PM
If what I'm hearing is true- it's 3 years/750K per

Is this the number we are throwing out there for our job or is this the number that's been discussed with Coach O? Either way it's an improvement from what we had Collins base salary at. Means we realize the outside perception of what we pay our coordinators is necessary in building our brand and our name.

Coach34
12-30-2014, 07:04 PM
whats being whispered about O- I think he is signed already personally...announcement to come

VandelayIndustries
12-30-2014, 07:06 PM
What was Collins making?

MetEdDawg
12-30-2014, 07:08 PM
whats being whispered about O- I think he is signed already personally...announcement to come

I would be very surprised if something hasn't been locked up or if terms haven't been discussed already. Too critical of a time in the evolution of our program and in this recruiting season to take our time and interview a bunch of people and wait a month to make a decision. If we like someone, which in this case it sounds like we wanted Coach O from the beginning, why wait around. Make your best offer and run with it.

preachermatt83
12-30-2014, 07:29 PM

I believe this as well!

deltadawg99
12-30-2014, 07:32 PM
I believe this as well!

With us or LSU?

Bothrops
12-30-2014, 07:33 PM
Well I hope it's true that something has been signed already.

HancockCountyDog
12-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Well I hope it's true that something has been signed already.

Early rumor is that Brick Haley may be going with him, if so, that's a major loss.

MabenMaroon
12-30-2014, 07:54 PM
I guess there was something to be gleaned from Coach Chavis not signing his extension with LSU, even though all the other assistants had already re-signed.
http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/12/five_lsu_assistant_football_co.html

preachermatt83
12-30-2014, 08:53 PM
With us or LSU?

us

bulldawg28
12-30-2014, 10:30 PM
Chavis is overated. He had all world talent at LSU and TN. He blitzes and plays man coverage all game. A&M doesn't have the corners LSU did to be anything special. Any athletic Qb that can avoid the blitz kills them. ND's new guy playing his first meaningful collegiate game dismantled them. LSU had a Jeff Collins game plan today.