PDA

View Full Version : Mr Mixologist: Home Bartending Tip

BeastMan
12-30-2014, 11:47 AM
I spent a handful of years bartending in my early 20's and came away with better than average bar knowledge. One thing I learned is that there is no such thing as "the right way". For example, 3 of the restaurants I worked for had different specs for a Long Island Tea and that's a classic. You get the point.

I've been experimenting with and have come up with something much better than a packaged sour mix. I use agave nectar and real lemon juice. You have to mix it together before you put anything on ice. If it goes on ice, the agave syrup will get thick and sit on the bottom. Most restaurants and bars use a sour mix that is little more than kool-aid powder. It makes a world of difference when you make your drinks at home, not to mention that your substituting a ton of artificial colors, sweeteners, and preservatives for something 100% natural. Also, substitute agave nectar for simple syrup in any recipe (just remember to mix the liquids before you put it on ice).

This all started with me making what I call 100% natural margaritas. It's almost more like a martini because it doesn't yield a ton of liquid but I drink it in a rocks glass. 2oz tequila, 2 tbl spoons agave nectar, and 2 oz lime juice. Combine all ingredients and stir thoroughly before you add ice. Add ice and garnish with lime. Will be the best tasting margarita that drinks more like a grown-up cocktail than a mexican restaurant 2 for 1.

After I started playing with the lime juice and agave nectar I figured you can do the same with lemon juice and I was right. A simple Tom Collins (gin, sour, grenadine) or whiskey sour (whiskey & sour) or a vodka gimlet (vodka, lime juice, simple syrup) will surprise you when made with fresh, natural ingredients. These drinks made at a restaurant bar with crappy kool-aid powder mixes and roses sweetened lime juice is not even in the same ball-park of quality if you use fresh lemon juice, fresh lime juice, and agave nectar.

When you go to the grocery store, most decent stores carry multiple different agave nectars. There is usually a light agave nectar which is is light gold in color and has a mild, sweet flavor. It's a really good one to start of with. There are others that say just agave nectar that much darker in color (more brown). They have the same level of sweetness as their light counterparts but have a deeper, more complex flavor. Similar in the difference in flavor between brown sugar and simple table sugar. I'm not saying it taste like brown sugar but you get the point. I prefer the dark agave nectars but that's just my personal preference.

You really need to try this if you don't like sweet drinks. The agave nectar adds sweetness that isn't the same as a simple table sugar mix that makes you pucker your lips like it's candy. It's the way grown men should drink the classic cocktails.

Light Agave Nectar
http://pics1.ds-static.com/prodimg/271418/300.JPG

Dark Agave Nectar
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41X3g0kCZUL.jpg

MS_half-step
12-30-2014, 05:44 PM
Good to know info, will try.

SapperDawg
12-31-2014, 03:38 PM
Good stuff Beast.

I've been using the agave nectar vs simple syrup for a while now, and like the way it works in cocktails. What I have noticed, however, is that it mixes much better in shaken cocktails vs stirred ones. Recently, I find the bottom of the stirred cocktail is always much sweeter due to settling, but shaken drinks dont have the same issue.

BrunswickDawg
01-02-2015, 12:35 PM
I started experimenting a bit back in the summer in a pinch due to a lack of mixers. My wife drinks margaritas and we ran out of mix. I used SimplyFresh Limeade, a fresh orange, and a key lime with usual Cuervo and Grand Marnier - she likes it better than the mixes.

BeastMan
01-02-2015, 04:46 PM
You're dead on Brunswick with the Simply Limeade comment. It's a better margarita nicer than any of those pre-mixed bottle in the mixer section. Simply limeade with hold tequila and a shot countreu is a dang good margarita