PDA

View Full Version : Shelby Christy to te?

msstate7
12-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Is this true? If so, what do you make of it? Have we gotten in desparation mode for te or is christy a legit te?

Coach34
12-30-2014, 09:48 AM
He's growing out of WR- trying to make another MoJo

DCdawg
12-30-2014, 09:59 AM
He's going to have to put on some weight if so.

Westdawg
12-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Ehh, i don't think he will have to put on a lot of weight. That is a growing trend with offenses as they have evolved. If he can learn to combo with the OT, and chip block effectively, then he should be viable in the passing game.

bulldawg28
12-30-2014, 10:19 AM
He can be Engram part 2 at State.

mic
12-30-2014, 10:47 AM
It could be that he is good enough of a player that we are moving him so he can get some reps. The TE position isn't what it was 15 years ago..
Plus it's Going to be hard to get on the field with
Ross
Bear
Brown
Morrow
Myles
JJ
Gray
Graham

dawgs
12-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Is this true? If so, what do you make of it? Have we gotten in desparation mode for te or is christy a legit te?

I see no problem in wanting to hopefully find a jimmy graham/gronk/Aaron Hernandez (on the field) type TE that's more of a receiver than a blocker.

Big4Dawg
12-30-2014, 02:19 PM
I had high hopes for Shelby coming out of high school. He had good offers (http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Shelby-Christy-16540/RecruitInterests) coming out of HS.

This is another reason i don't think we need a TE coach. There is no reason our TE's can't split practice with Conzales/Hevesy. We were so close to getting rid of Sallach, then we lost Brewster to FSU. That would have been a great staff. FU FSU.

HoopsDawg
12-30-2014, 02:26 PM
He's listed at 6'3, 210. Mojo is 6'2, 230. As long as Christy can pack on a good 20 lbs he can handle TE.

Bothrops
12-30-2014, 02:29 PM
We're going to have as many TE's as receivers.

HoopsDawg
12-30-2014, 02:48 PM
We're going to have as many TE's as receivers.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what our staff is doing with the TE position.

Big4Dawg
12-30-2014, 02:58 PM
We don't have that many TEs.

Seniors: Hutcherson
Juniors: Walley
Sophomore: Hammond, Dixon(?), Christy

msstate7
12-30-2014, 02:59 PM

Hopefully...

Freshman: pierce

HoopsDawg
12-30-2014, 03:14 PM

Dontea Jones and Pierce are both TE's. So you are looking at 6 scholarship TE's on the roster. Dixon is not on scholarship.

But what worries me is we only have 1 attached TE on the roster, Hutcherson, and he is unproven with 0 Fullbacks. That's going to make it very tough in short yardage situations.

Lumpy Chucklelips
12-30-2014, 03:30 PM
What is the deal on Pierce again? I have forgotten. thanks

Thick
12-30-2014, 04:13 PM
He can be Engram part 2 at State.

He will be a hybrid TE, that can cause mismatches for opposing defenses.

HoopsDawg
12-30-2014, 04:14 PM
What is the deal on Pierce again? I have forgotten. thanks

Pierce signed in our last class, but didn't quite qualify. Instead of enrolling in a Juco, he took the semester off to try and gain eligiblity. Last report was positive. He has the ideal measurables for a hybrid TE. And great tape from HS. Arkansas wanted him. He would have been highly recruited if not for grades.

dawgs
12-30-2014, 04:29 PM
Dontea Jones and Pierce are both TE's. So you are looking at 6 scholarship TE's on the roster. Dixon is not on scholarship.

But what worries me is we only have 1 attached TE on the roster, Hutcherson, and he is unproven with 0 Fullbacks. That's going to make it very tough in short yardage situations.

I'd be fine putting warren in as an extra OT eligible on those downs. Normally we'd be power running and he's an OL now, but he still came in as a TE, so he could be good enough of a receiver to slip behind the D for a play action pass to keep the D on their toes.

Todd4State
12-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Don't forget about Deshun Dixon in the TE mix. I think Dontea Jones will be a WR- like Bear.

Bothrops
12-30-2014, 04:39 PM

That's a shit load and that not even all of them.

Todd4State
12-30-2014, 04:40 PM
I'd be fine putting warren in as an extra OT eligible on those downs. Normally we'd be power running and he's an OL now, but he still came in as a TE, so he could be good enough of a receiver to slip behind the D for a play action pass to keep the D on their toes.

I'm a big fan of a guy like a Kendall Watkins. A 300 pound TE that could catch the ball a couple of times a game. Kendall had the game winning TD catch against Tennessee in 1994 when we beat Peyton.

Todd4State
12-30-2014, 04:44 PM

I agree. We really need a Patrick Hanrahan guy as much as anything even though most people don't realize it.

TE worries me more than any other position on offense. I think Walley will be the guy next year- and I like him a lot. But he's injury prone and there really isn't anyone that is proven behind him. I'm not sold on Hutcherson at all. He's a blocking TE. I like Hammond, Christy, and Dixon- but none of them have played a down in SEC ball yet.

Bothrops
12-30-2014, 04:54 PM
Hanrahan was a bull. Hard to find guys like that for some reason.

thf24
12-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Hanrahan was a bull. Hard to find guys like that for some reason.

I'd guess it's because it's become more desirable these days to play tailback or tight end at a lower level or smaller program instead of being a fullback for a power 5 team, especially with more and more NFL teams using little to no fullback.

dawgs
12-30-2014, 05:29 PM
I'd guess it's because it's become more desirable these days to play tailback or tight end at a lower level or smaller program instead of being a fullback for a power 5 team, especially with more and more NFL teams using little to no fullback.

I'd say most P5 teams are using even less true FB than NFL teams with true spread option offenses everywhere, but either way, the true FB is on the way out. Instead you have hybrid FB/TE/H-back types and hybrid TE/WR types that can move around the field to find the mismatches.

Todd4State
12-30-2014, 06:13 PM
I'd say most P5 teams are using even less true FB than NFL teams with true spread option offenses everywhere, but either way, the true FB is on the way out. Instead you have hybrid FB/TE/H-back types and hybrid TE/WR types that can move around the field to find the mismatches.

We need to find some of the FB/TE/H-back types because we have a ton of TE/WR types. Dontavian Lee is the only guy I can think of that we have for that role in the future. Brandon Hill wasn't used a lot, and I would have liked to have seen Turtle play some of the FB/TEH-back role.

People are probably going to think I am crazy, but I'd let Richie Brown cameo at FB some for us. To be clear, we should keep him at LB and I want him at LB- but on occasion I'd like to see what he can do at FB some.