PDA

View Full Version : Javon Patterson Ready To Start as a Freshman?

engie
12-29-2014, 11:45 PM
Vs Tennessee DT commit at the AA practice today...

https://vine.co/v/OwMZ2vLlWQM

Don't get me wrong -- I would love to have him. Just goes to show DL generally enter college WAY ahead of OL. And that anyone expecting him to play a key role in year 1 are probably blowing smoke....

msstate7
12-29-2014, 11:51 PM
Wow... That was ugly

Don't send that to the CL recruiting guy that so emphatically stated JP is the hands down, no contest best recruit

HoopsDawg
12-30-2014, 12:09 AM
To be fair, some say that Dlinemen is the no.1 player in the country.

And post that vine of nick james going against Joc Johnson. You and coach34 keep saying he is going to be a big factor for us.

engie
12-30-2014, 12:26 AM
And post that vine of nick james going against Joc Johnson. You and coach34 keep saying he is going to be a big factor for us.

Where did I say this?

Bothrops
12-30-2014, 12:57 AM
If I had to judge from what I've seen so far, he may not be ready in 2016.

HoopsDawg
12-30-2014, 01:21 AM
Where did I say this?

Maybe it was just coach.

MaxedOutMaroon
12-30-2014, 01:49 AM
He's not that good period. His measurements aren't good, he's not that talented. He's not even that highly touted. But that DLineman is a man amongst boys

thf24
12-30-2014, 08:41 AM
To be fair, some say that Dlinemen is the no.1 player in the country.

1. The #1 player in the country who's yet to spend significant time in a college weight room or receive significant instruction from a college coach. Patterson is going to see at least that level of play from any veteran SEC d-lineman. There was nothing technical about what McKenzie did there; just ran over him. While it's true Patterson hasn't had a real college workout or coaching either, his thorough embarrassment by a fellow high school player definitely throws into question the idea being spread by the spin machine that he's be ready to play and make an impact immediately.

2. At least Johnson stayed on his feet for most of the drill in that video, putting up a respectable fight single blocking a 325-pound nose tackle. Patterson was toast right off the whistle in this video.

Aces High
12-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Javon will have a similar career as Damien.

Ole Miss signs highly touted OL yearly. They almost universally suck except tunsil. Tunsil hasnt lived up to being #1 either. He will be drafted plenty high but he hasnt dominated. The rest of their big signees or transfers are over weight or suck.

Johnson85
12-30-2014, 09:18 AM
1. The #1 player in the country who's yet to spend significant time in a college weight room or receive significant instruction from a college coach. Patterson is going to see at least that level of play from any veteran SEC d-lineman. There was nothing technical about what McKenzie did there; just ran over him. While it's true Patterson hasn't had a real college workout or coaching either, his thorough embarrassment by a fellow high school player definitely throws into question the idea being spread by the spin machine that he's be ready to play and make an impact immediately.

That's not necessarily true. I don't know how good this guy is, but Clowney and the guy from A&M were both above average as true freshmen. Just about any true freshman playing OL in the SEC is going to be mediocre at best, save for those once every year or two or three type prospects, so I agree people expecting him to be a huge help immediately (except by being another body they can put on the Oline) are going to be disappointed. But that video may not be as bad as it looks if that DL is really a freak.

thf24
12-30-2014, 09:34 AM
That's not necessarily true. I don't know how good this guy is, but Clowney and the guy from A&M were both above average as true freshmen. Just about any true freshman playing OL in the SEC is going to be mediocre at best, save for those once every year or two or three type prospects, so I agree people expecting him to be a huge help immediately (except by being another body they can put on the Oline) are going to be disappointed. But that video may not be as bad as it looks if that DL is really a freak.

You've got a point. I really just meant that if a high school DL prospect can beat you by simply bulling his way over the top of you, then any SEC DL is going to be able to do the exact same thing.

MSUMatt
12-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Not fair to take one rep and brand the kid. He's going to be a very good offensive lineman. No reason to be spiteful.

msstate7
12-30-2014, 10:34 AM
Not fair to take one rep and brand the kid. He's going to be a very good offensive lineman. No reason to be spiteful.

I don't think anyone meant he wouldn't be good. I think the question was whether hed play effectively next season

bulldawg28
12-30-2014, 11:53 AM
Lol...that video is hilarious. If Patterson starts Kelly may threaten to spray him.

BeastMan
12-30-2014, 11:59 AM
The reason recruiting reporters love Patterson is more than his football takent. It's because he's a really good, well mannered, respectful kid. It's hard not to like him. I'm a fan personally. He grew up and OM fan but gave MSU an honest look because MSU recruited him so hard. I wish him the best

KB21
12-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Question. Does Javon play tackle or guard in high school? I know he projects as a guard in college. I ask, because it is very rare that you see someone who plays guard in high school actually play much in college. Most college guards were high school tackles.

HancockCountyDog
12-30-2014, 12:57 PM
Question. Does Javon play tackle or guard in high school? I know he projects as a guard in college. I ask, because it is very rare that you see someone who plays guard in high school actually play much in college. Most college guards were high school tackles.

He played OT in HS. At least he did in the games that i watched him play. Im glad Ferrell posted this vine, a few OM buddies of mine were sending me cut and paste articles fluffing the shit about Patterson by Chad Simmons. Good to see that he was in fact getting thrown around.

gtowndawg
12-30-2014, 01:03 PM
I'm embarrassed for him. Seriously.

whosyourdawgy
12-30-2014, 01:54 PM
From that vine, what drill was that? The rest of the oline had nobody on them to block. So was it supposed to be a live drill or did McKenzie blow him up for no reason but to be an ass? If it was a love drill, he basically threw Patterson down. But it looks odd that nobody else appeared to be full speed and that happened

maroonmania
12-30-2014, 03:35 PM
Maybe its just me but it seems over the years that a lot of highly rated OL out of MS have turned out to be disappointments. Certainly wouldn't be shocked if JP joins that group.

Todd4State
12-30-2014, 04:35 PM
The reason recruiting reporters love Patterson is more than his football takent. It's because he's a really good, well mannered, respectful kid. It's hard not to like him. I'm a fan personally. He grew up and OM fan but gave MSU an honest look because MSU recruited him so hard. I wish him the best

That's an issue with recruiting reporters. They should rate a guy higher because he is "a good kid".

BeastMan
12-30-2014, 04:46 PM
That's an issue with recruiting reporters. They should rate a guy higher because he is "a good kid".

He's a composite 4-star and the composite #1 prospect in MS and #49 in the country. He also happens to be a good kid.

Not directing this at you Todd but if anyone if this thread thinks he sucks because he got blown up once in a vine clip, you are being a moron. It's football. He got beat. Happens to everyone. Don't be so much of a homer to hate on a kid that despite his fan favorite growing up, gave MSU an honest look. This kid deserves respect. He didn't do any silly drama, hat fakes, or social media attention seeking. I would have loved to have him at MSU.