PDA

View Full Version : OT. Taxi to and from Orange Bowl

civilengineerdog
12-29-2014, 01:08 PM
Anyone know about taxi service in Miami? I am staying close to the Miami Airport and am pretty certain it will be easy enough to get a cab to the game, but getting back may be a little hairy. Anyone know about cabs in Miami? FWIW, I have a very early return flight and would rather not rent a car.

justwin
12-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Anyone know about taxi service in Miami? I am staying close to the Miami Airport and am pretty certain it will be easy enough to get a cab to the game, but getting back may be a little hairy. Anyone know about cabs in Miami? FWIW, I have a very early return flight and would rather not rent a car.

download uber on your iphone. link it up to your checking account. no tips necessary. use uberx. uber will save you 1/2 the price of a cab with a better experience.

nsvltndog
12-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Agree with Uber rather than cab. We were in Fort Lauderdale 2 weeks ago and had a good experience with Uber

justwin
12-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Only thing about using Uber in Miami is be sure to not mention to any MIA airport employee (security, traffic cop, etc.) working arrivals/departures that you are waiting on, or hailed, an Uber cab. They have been instructed to cite/fine Uber drivers on the spot.

Right now, Uber and the city of MIA are in a kind of scuffle. Uber has not officially been approved for licensure to operate in the city due to pressures from the taxi unions. But, other than keeping this airport tidbit in mind, you can use Uber as much as you want, anytime you want.

dparker
12-30-2014, 11:40 AM
I'm interested in this also. Mainly how difficult it will be to get someone when leaving the stadium

drunkernhelldawg
12-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Taxi politics are so entrenched. Gonna be interesting to see how the Uber vs. Medallion battle plays out nationally.

Gordon Gekko
12-30-2014, 01:23 PM
I've never used Uber but have heard they have surge pricing during peak times that is outrageous. New Years and the Orange Bowl may trigger an expensive ride. I don't know this for sure but I would research it before you do it.

Johnson85
12-30-2014, 02:09 PM
I've never used Uber but have heard they have surge pricing during peak times that is outrageous. New Years and the Orange Bowl may trigger an expensive ride. I don't know this for sure but I would research it before you do it.

There likely will be surge pricing on New Year's eve but you will know what the price is before you commit. They have also limited the surge pricing now (maybe to 3 times the non-surge fare or something like that). Of course the downside to that is there is no guarantee that you'll be able to get an Uber car in Miami Gardens on New Year's Eve, whereas the original surge pricing method pretty much guaranteed you'd be able to get a ride, if you were willing to pay for it.