PDA

View Full Version : BPL Update thread

DawgHouseUnited
12-29-2014, 10:11 AM
Haven't seen anything lately on the Premier League on here, so I thought I'd try and resurrect the topic. Especially since we're in a slow period- 'crootin is in a "dead period," baseball is still a bit off, and our men's basketball season is only good for debating the coach's job security.

Anyway, the table sits with Chelsea at the top, followed by the two Manchesters (City, then United). My Southampton Saints and Arsenal round out the top five.

I admit I've paid less attention lately, with so much other stuff going on. December hasn't been kind to the Saints, with 4 Premier League losses in a row going back to 11/30 and a Capital One Cup loss to boot. We turned it around closing in on Christmas with a couple of wins, and are just coming off a tie with league-leading Chelsea. The next game is at home on New Year's Day against Arsenal.

TheRef
12-29-2014, 10:50 AM
Haven't seen anything lately on the Premier League on here, so I thought I'd try and resurrect the topic. Especially since we're in a slow period- 'crootin is in a "dead period," baseball is still a bit off, and our men's basketball season is only good for debating the coach's job security.

Anyway, the table sits with Chelsea at the top, followed by the two Manchesters (City, then United). My Southampton Saints and Arsenal round out the top five.

I admit I've paid less attention lately, with so much other stuff going on. December hasn't been kind to the Saints, with 4 Premier League losses in a row going back to 11/30 and a Capital One Cup loss to boot. We turned it around closing in on Christmas with a couple of wins, and are just coming off a tie with league-leading Chelsea. The next game is at home on New Year's Day against Arsenal.

You think your stretch has been bad? The Leicester City Foxes, after a fairly strong start, hit rock bottom with 7 straight BPL losses including one on Boxer Day. Yesterday, however, the Foxes pulled out a 1-0 win over Hull City. For some strange reason, the Foxes are now 5-1 against BPL teams that have City in their name. The Foxes are currently holding the last slot down in the table, but the Foxes are only 3 points out of 17th (the safe zone from relegation).

The next game is on New Year's Day against Liverpool at Anfield (Liverpool's pitch). So Hull, Crystal Palace, and Burnley, can y'all just lose so that we can get out of relegation? That'd be greaaaaaat

DawgHouseUnited
12-29-2014, 11:29 AM
You think your stretch has been bad? The Leicester City Foxes, after a fairly strong start, hit rock bottom with 7 straight BPL losses including one on Boxer Day. Yesterday, however, the Foxes pulled out a 1-0 win over Hull City. For some strange reason, the Foxes are now 5-1 against BPL teams that have City in their name. The Foxes are currently holding the last slot down in the table, but the Foxes are only 3 points out of 17th (the safe zone from relegation).

The next game is on New Year's Day against Liverpool at Anfield (Liverpool's pitch). So Hull, Crystal Palace, and Burnley, can y'all just lose so that we can get out of relegation? That'd be greaaaaaat

I was looking at the table and noticed how close the bottom is. On the other end, it looks like Chelsea is trying to put some distance between 1/2 and 3rd/everyone else. Plus their GD looks pretty nice.

War Machine Dawg
12-30-2014, 12:05 AM

Hull is in the same damn boat. I'll admit, I've kinda become a Man City fan and started watching them more than Hull. All their games seem to be on DirecTV even against the shitty teams. Hull, not so much.

That said, Hull had a decent start to the season and made everyone think they'd be a solid team. Now they're in the relegation zone. Hull won on Boxing (not Boxer) Day against Sunderland. Then they followed it up by dropping a very winnable game against TheRef's Leicester City Foxes. I don't expect much for them in the upcoming transfer window, as our owner has put the club up for sale and stated he won't put any more money into the team since the name change was rejected. We just recalled Tom Ince and one other cat from loan and all signs indicate we'll part ways with Hatem Ben Arfa and Yannick Sagbo. Basically, we're just playing really shitty football and it's been compounded by injuries to some key guys like Michael Dawson. I still think there's enough talent on the team to avoid relegation, but it's not looking good.

Worst part? I could definitely see myself being a Hull fan if they were just a solid mid-table team. They seem to be a lot like State over the years - a club with plenty of potential that's been screwed by awful management. But what drives me nuts are the psycho fans who seem to think it's sacrilege to change the name of the club from Hull City to Hull. I mean, the name of the city where the club is located is Hull, not Hull City, dammit. If it broadens your potential for new revenue streams, why make such a big damn deal out of it, fracture the fan base, and piss off the best owner in franchise history? Just craziness over there.

DawgHouseUnited
12-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Hull is in the same damn boat. I'll admit, I've kinda become a Man City fan and started watching them more than Hull. All their games seem to be on DirecTV even against the shitty teams. Hull, not so much.

That said, Hull had a decent start to the season and made everyone think they'd be a solid team. Now they're in the relegation zone. Hull won on Boxing (not Boxer) Day against Sunderland. Then they followed it up by dropping a very winnable game against TheRef's Leicester City Foxes. I don't expect much for them in the upcoming transfer window, as our owner has put the club up for sale and stated he won't put any more money into the team since the name change was rejected. We just recalled Tom Ince and one other cat from loan and all signs indicate we'll part ways with Hatem Ben Arfa and Yannick Sagbo. Basically, we're just playing really shitty football and it's been compounded by injuries to some key guys like Michael Dawson. I still think there's enough talent on the team to avoid relegation, but it's not looking good.

Worst part? I could definitely see myself being a Hull fan if they were just a solid mid-table team. They seem to be a lot like State over the years - a club with plenty of potential that's been screwed by awful management. But what drives me nuts are the psycho fans who seem to think it's sacrilege to change the name of the club from Hull City to Hull. I mean, the name of the city where the club is located is Hull, not Hull City, dammit. If it broadens your potential for new revenue streams, why make such a big damn deal out of it, fracture the fan base, and piss off the best owner in franchise history? Just craziness over there.

There's still what- 5 months left? Ride out the injuries, hopefully they aren't season-ending, and try to keep things close along the way. I've been surprised that there's not been any runaway leaders in either direction. As I said, Chelsea is trying to put some distance between them and the rest of the pack, but Manchester City isn't too far off. On the other end of the table, I was surprised that things are as tight as they are.

As for the name change, I understand. But from what I can tell, they've had the name since inception haven't they? That's 100+ years of "tradition" to contend with. Just look at the reaction OM has had with getting rid of Col. Reb and some of their other traditions. Tough to get rid of, even when there is good reason to do so.

MaxedOutMaroon
01-03-2015, 10:48 AM
I have been following really close since end of football reg season. I'm a Southampton saints follower by choice (just saying I wasn't assigned one, nothing wrong if you were). After a bad stretch they've rebounded nice. The defense is very solid and Forster has been lights out in the goal. Man? is hot as well. Pell? needs to score a few.

In the EPL, there's 3 races that are fun to keep up with 1). Relegation 2). 4th place battle (European cup qualifiers) 3). Chelsea-Man City for first.

EPL is like MLB to me, that's why I enjoy it.

FA cup is beginning, sit back and enjoy boys!

TheRef
01-03-2015, 12:40 PM
I have been following really close since end of football reg season. I'm a Southampton saints follower by choice (just saying I wasn't assigned one, nothing wrong if you were). After a bad stretch they've rebounded nice. The defense is very solid and Forster has been lights out in the goal. Man? is hot as well. Pell? needs to score a few.

In the EPL, there's 3 races that are fun to keep up with 1). Relegation 2). 4th place battle (European cup qualifiers) 3). Chelsea-Man City for first.

EPL is like MLB to me, that's why I enjoy it.

FA cup is beginning, sit back and enjoy boys!

Speaking of the FA Cup, Leicester City defeated Newcastle United in Round 4 of the FA Cup 1-0. The lone goal coming via a header from Ulloa.

DudyDawg
01-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Burnley tied Newcastle 3-3 in the FA Cup and have Spurs coming up. We sit at 19thh in the table and I don't see is getting out of the relegation zone. Just not enough talent

As far as other news, Real Madrid's 22 game WIN streak (no draws either) ends today at Valencia. We still sit atop la Liga and have been dominant in champs league so I'm not worried.

Also, news coming out that Steven Gerrard will leave liverpool and join LA Galaxy. Sad day for liverpool fans

DawgHouseUnited
01-05-2015, 11:18 AM
The Saints tied (1-1) their FA Cup game against Ipswich, which means we have a rematch next week.

Next Premier League game is against Man U on Jan 11th. Should be interesting.

War Machine Dawg
01-05-2015, 07:33 PM
The Tigers had a good week. They defeated Everton in EPL play, gaining a critical 3 points and moving out of the relegation zone. Steve Bruce shook up the lineup to account for injuries and poor performance. Perhaps most notable was the benching of Tom Huddlestone. Unfortunately, Hull suffered two more injuries in the match. Even worse, all three players were probably looking at expanded roles moving forward. Andy Robertson and Gaston Ramirez are both out 4-6 weeks and Liam Rosenior is out 12 weeks.

Hull predictably lost to Arsenal in FA Cup action on Sunday, but escaped the match with no injuries. Next up for Hull is West Bromwich Albion on the road, who is also trying to avoid relegation.

Dawg61
01-06-2015, 01:13 AM
Man I had every intentions to follow EPL more this year but to be honest I didn't exactly click with my team Spurs. Just couldn't grasp any stars to draw me in. I can follow the USAMNT because well it is filled with Americans. Then we beat LSU and this thread got moved to BS so I just said f8ck it. Any way we can get the USAMNT in a league like EPL? That I would watch for sure haha.

DudyDawg
01-06-2015, 08:50 PM
As far as other news, the transfer window is open in Europe (teams can buy players).

Also big news coming out of Spain that Leo Messi had a huge falling out w the Barca coach and is upset w the board, and if front office changes don't come he will leave this summer or next. Should be interesting to watch what happens to the second best player in the world

MaxedOutMaroon
01-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Man I had every intentions to follow EPL more this year but to be honest I didn't exactly click with my team Spurs. Just couldn't grasp any stars to draw me in. I can follow the USAMNT because well it is filled with Americans. Then we beat LSU and this thread got moved to BS so I just said f8ck it. Any way we can get the USAMNT in a league like EPL? That I would watch for sure haha.

Well Deandre Yedlin just transferred to the spurs, but it might be a while before he becomes an every match player. I encourage you to watch the EPL games on MSNBC on Saturday mornings and just enjoy the games.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2015, 10:53 PM
We suck. It appears that we totally blew the Suarez transfer money. Third time in my time as a Liverpool fan (since 1994) we have failed to follow up on a strong season. At least they are actually moving dirt and building things at Anfield. That is key to the future. I'm not surprised about Stevie G. It had to happen eventually. It is TOTALLY him that he is going somewhere where there will be NO chance of encountering Liverpool. He will be back someday. It wouldn't shock me to see him as manager.

Liverpooldawg
01-09-2015, 10:58 PM
By the way, you HAVE to love the FA Cup. The David vs Goliath stuff the third round always serves up is wonderful!

War Machine Dawg
01-10-2015, 01:45 PM
The Tigers continue to have the shittiest injury luck known to man. Both strikers, Jelavic and Abel Hernandez, left in the first half of today's game with apparent injuries. No idea what Jelavic's injury might be, but it appeared Hernandez re-aggravated a groin injury he's been battling. And unsurprisingly, Hull wound up dropping today's match to WBA 1-nil.

TheRef
01-10-2015, 09:44 PM
The Foxes won! We beat Aston Villa 1-0 today. 3 points!

Tbonewannabe
01-12-2015, 10:07 PM
I got Burnley in the draft but I started watching Arsenal. Liked their style of play and kits and of course loved the name and cannon. I didn't know they were actually good till I looked them up in Wikipedia. So I now have started watching them when they are on. I have enjoyed it actually.

DawgHouseUnited
01-13-2015, 09:53 AM
Southampton moved up to number 3 after a 1-0 win over ManU. Tadic scored the game's only goal in the second half and we won at Old Trafford for the first time since '88. Next up is an FA cup rematch against Ipswich, then on Saturday we take on Newcastle.