PDA

View Full Version : Orange Bowl driving advice...

Bigedawg
12-27-2014, 02:05 PM
Wife and I are making the drive from Madison early Tuesday morning, Cannonball Run style. We are staying in Fort Lauderdale. For any elitedawgs who have made the drive, what do you think is the best route to take? I ordered a Sun Pass; so, hopefully, it will help expedite the trip, somewhat. I haven't really even started to determine what route we are going to take; so, I am definitely open to suggestions. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Smitty
12-27-2014, 02:09 PM
Take the turnpike all the way down no doubt about it. Sun pass is a must for any drivers

Liverpooldawg
12-27-2014, 04:17 PM
I've never driven all the way down there but I have driven in the Miami area several times. Always allow a lot more time than you think you need to get around down there. The traffic can be murder at times.

woozman
12-27-2014, 05:13 PM
From Jackson area, take Hwy 49 to I-59 (Hattiesburg) to Hwy 98 down to I-65 in Mobile. Go north on I-65 and take I-165 across the Africa town bridge. Get on I-10 and travel (a long ass way) past Tallahassee and over to I-75 then south past Gainesville to the Turnpike and then southeast through Orlando and down to the Miami area. I worked down there in 2005 and it is a damn long drive (took me 12-13 hours from the MS Coast). This is one of the few scenarios that I'm glad my wife travels a ton for her job and has tons of flyer miles. I'm flying from Gulfport to Fort Lauderdale and back for $21.00.

codeDawg
12-27-2014, 06:02 PM
My advice is always to just use the Waze app. That app knows way more about distances, heavy traffic patterns, and current traffic issues than you can ever calculate yourself. The great part of the app is that it uses data from millions of other users to provide real time information as part of route planning in additional to time of day, day of week, and week of year tendencies.

You can download it and get it to route for you now to get a good idea of what you are looking at. The suggested route may be different when you actually get on the road though based on conditions mentioned above.

Bigedawg
12-27-2014, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Not looking forward to the drive, but it was just the most economical route with the airfare being so high on such short notice. I think it will be nice to have our vehicle once we get there with everything being so spread out. I at least have an idea of how to travel. I will also download the Waze app. That is a new one to me.

Dawgowar
12-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Not looking forward to the drive, but it was just the most economical route with the airfare being so high on such short notice. I think it will be nice to have our vehicle once we get there with everything being so spread out. I at least have an idea of how to travel. I will also download the Waze app. That is a new one to me.

One other bit of good news. The powers that be are using the Sun Pass and east coast equivalents to check your speed when going through the toll booth/pass areas. You may want to lighten the pressure on the pedal when approaching those. Be a bitch to come home to a mailbox of moving violations.

Apoplectic
12-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Wife and I are making the drive from Madison early Tuesday morning, Cannonball Run style. We are staying in Fort Lauderdale. For any elitedawgs who have made the drive, what do you think is the best route to take? I ordered a Sun Pass; so, hopefully, it will help expedite the trip, somewhat. I haven't really even started to determine what route we are going to take; so, I am definitely open to suggestions. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Made the drive today - took 12 hrs from SoMiss to Boca. 75 from lake city to the turnpike was a parking lot. The sunpass was a winner - saved 30 mins easy.

PendingTransaction
12-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Made the drive today - took 12 hrs from SoMiss to Boca. 75 from lake city to the turnpike was a parking lot. The sunpass was a winner - saved 30 mins easy.

How does one get that sun pass?

Smitty
12-27-2014, 09:45 PM

Rest areas

Apoplectic
12-27-2014, 10:47 PM

The service areas on the turnpike

PendingTransaction
12-27-2014, 11:02 PM
Thanks

Maroon Diapers
12-28-2014, 01:21 AM
Just arrived down here in Ft. Lauderdale. We got a SunPass at the rest area in Pensacola and activated it immediately with my Iphone. We intended to take the turpike at Lake City, but ended up going on the Jacksonville and taking I95 down. It was very fast and even in the work zones we were rolling 80 in traffic. We would have turned south at Lake City. I use google maps (it utilizes Waze app wreck reports) on traffic view and it showed a significant portion of it very backed up between Gainesville and Ocala, so we made a judgement call 5 minutes before Lake City to go to Jacksonville. There's only 30-40 miles difference anyway and no traffic problems that way (at the time). Miami touring tomorrow, Key West Monday, South Beach Tuesday to get some sun in my new leopard Tuggie, then whip that GT ass Wednesday.

Apoplectic
12-28-2014, 01:33 AM
Just arrived down here in Ft. Lauderdale. We got a SunPass at the rest area in Pensacola and activated it immediately with my Iphone. We intended to take the turpike at Lake City, but ended up going on the Jacksonville and taking I95 down. It was very fast and even in the work zones we were rolling 80 in traffic. We would have turned south at Lake City. I use google maps (it utilizes Waze app wreck reports) on traffic view and it showed a significant portion of it very backed up between Gainesville and Ocala, so we made a judgement call 5 minutes before Lake City to go to Jacksonville. There's only 30-40 miles difference anyway and no traffic problems that way (at the time). Miami touring tomorrow, Key West Monday, South Beach Tuesday to get some sun in my new leopard Tuggie, then whip that GT ass Wednesday.

Good call on Jville and 95. I was thinking about that option while rolling at 10 mph thru Ocala.

I hear hwy 1 to KW is also a crawl. I'm in SB tomorrow but would like to hit the keys also. Anyone got a first hand report?

We really need a Miami thread for Happenings.

Btw, the whales rib in Deerfield was a home run!

Political Hack
12-28-2014, 10:42 AM
waze is a life saver. will reroute you based on wrecks or traffic, etc... tells you when there are speed traps set up too.

civildawg
12-28-2014, 11:18 AM
First time using waze app. It is a must have