PDA

View Full Version : I gotta strong hunch it's gonna be Orgeron

Coach34
12-24-2014, 09:42 AM
As our next DC. Let the fun begin

StThierry
12-24-2014, 09:48 AM
Do you think the existing defensive staff can work with him or is willing to work with him?

Coach34
12-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Tony Hughes can work with anybody just about. He is as good of a person as you will ever meet. Still hearing rumblings Turner may be headed to Fla. Just have see how it all shakes out

Jacksondevildog
12-24-2014, 09:52 AM
I don't think that he would have been brought in to be a speaker at one of our coaching clinics at MSU if the staff (Mullen) didn't like him and respect him as a coach.

Political Hack
12-24-2014, 09:54 AM
ditto

EnterpriseDawg
12-24-2014, 09:56 AM
If Turner leaves could we get the coach from UAB to be CO DC with coach O. That would be awesome imo. Let Coach O do his thing and let the coach from UAB run the D

msstate7
12-24-2014, 09:57 AM
If Turner leaves could we get the coach from UAB to be CO DC with coach O. That would be awesome imo. Let Coach O do his thing and let the coach from UAB run the D

Bill Clark.

This has been my dream all along, but I'm not sure we'd pony up the money this would require

quickstrike2
12-24-2014, 10:00 AM
That would be some kind of interesting.

bulldawg28
12-24-2014, 10:08 AM
Forget about Clark from UAB. Bring Pendergast in let's cause some serious havoc in the SEC.

TrapGame
12-24-2014, 10:10 AM
WILD BOYZ!!!!!

Half time entertainment will be O wrestling Hev on the 50 yard line! Death Cage match!!

Red Sox Dawg
12-24-2014, 10:10 AM

I would like to see Orgeron be DL/DC and Recruitng Coordinator, and someone hired as LB/Special Teams Coordinator, if they have had Special Teams experience. We can afford that and that is a win win for the team.

Dawgface
12-24-2014, 10:13 AM
I don't think that he would have been brought in to be a speaker at one of our coaching clinics at MSU if the staff (Mullen) didn't like him and respect him as a coach.

Yes, that was a pretty good tip what Mullen thought of him. I'm fine with O.

TXDawg
12-24-2014, 10:17 AM
Ugggghhh....please no.

I'm OK with O as the DL coach and recruiting coordinator, but not as DC.

starkvegasdawg
12-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Is supplying the players with a Cajun to English dictionary a violation? Can't afford to lose Redmond any more.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-24-2014, 10:19 AM
As of right now the plan is just to bring in Orgeron & the rest of the staff stays intact. Of course that can always change but as of right now O would be the only hire.

jimbo352
12-24-2014, 10:20 AM
If we get O, and believe me, I would have no problems with that... Regarding shady recruiting, we have to be careful about throwing stones in glass houses... O is very fine recruiter, and he's an expert around these parts. That being said... He taught the Beaver everything he knows on the recruiting trail.

It would be the ultimate fight fire with fire, hire.

mic
12-24-2014, 10:34 AM
If it is O , then Turner is more than likely out.

engie
12-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Still doesn't make sense to me unless there's more to the story that we don't know. I have a strong hunch that there is...

mic
12-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Still doesn't make sense to me unless there's more to the story that we don't know. I have a strong hunch that there is...

I agree.. Once it is announced who all is hired I have a feeling we are going to be VERY happy..

Dawgfan77
12-24-2014, 10:51 AM
If turner leaves so be it. Ifyouonlyknew can back me up on this. Turner is not the most liked staff member or recruiter O would be a MAJOR upgrade at dl

engie
12-24-2014, 10:54 AM
I agree.. Once it is announced who all is hired I have a feeling we are going to be VERY happy..

Agreed.

The only thing that gives me pause is that we're going to have to come up with a smooth $2-3mil extra in staff salaries to pull it all off. Hopefully, we make that happen...

jimbo352
12-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Agreed.

The only thing that gives me pause is that we're going to have to come up with a smooth $2-3mil extra in staff salaries to pull it all off. Hopefully, we make that happen...

Extra 2-3 million??? Or just 2-3 million total...? An extra 2-3 million would put us up in the top ranks of assistant payroll...

mic
12-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Agreed.

Not that much.. When you add Collins and possible Turners salaries together with what they would have made next year it would have been right at a million..
That should take care of what The Org wants.
Just have to pony up for the other hire... And give raises to everyone else..

Dawg496
12-24-2014, 11:03 AM

What part? Do you mean the O hiring, Turner leaving or the whole situation?

I for one would be very pleased with O whether or not we have a second hire or not.

MetEdDawg
12-24-2014, 11:06 AM
Here's my problem with Orgeron. Is he a recruiting upgrade? Absolutely. Is he a DL coach upgrade? Yes. But if we hire Orgeron to be the DC and keep Turner, that means someone has to coach LBs. Turner hasn't coached LBs in 15 years. Orgeron coached LBs 20 years ago at Nicholls State. Are we really going to sit here and say we would be ok hiring Orgeron for a recruiting bump while neglecting the LB situation?

I don't want to hear oh it will work itself out and oh it's no big deal anyone can step in to coach LBs or oh Turner can do it. I don't believe that we can continue to move forward as a program if we sacrifice a position group (which we would be if we don't bring in someone with some LB coaching experience in today's college football) just to get a little bump on the recruiting trail.

We want to bring in Coach O to be the DC I suppose I'm ok with that. But ONLY if Turner is going and we hire a position coach for the LBs. If Turner is staying on, I'm not in favor of letting Orgeron run the defense and control the LBs, or control the DL and move Turner to LBs. To me this is the kind of move that might help us on the recruiting trail but could potentially hurt us on the field. Recruiting isn't everything and I just wonder about how many are enamored with the idea of Orgeron because of what he's done in recruiting but forget he's never been a defensive coordinator in his life.

Is that really the route we want to go in replacing our DC off a 10 win season is with a guy who can coach DL but has never been a defensive coordinator but can recruit pretty good? Just my two cents. I think there are better options out there honestly. Bill Clark , Randy Shannon, and DJ Durkin I think are all three better choices right now for our DC.

Jacksondevildog
12-24-2014, 11:14 AM
I think a significant upgrade in recruiting is better than making an average hire or move to coach linebackers. These are college coaches and a lot of them have coached multiple positions and sometimes they help each other coaching positions. I am not worried about the future of the program if we make a marginal move at linebackers coach. I am more concerned about keeping good talent coming into the program and having coaches that can put the best ones into the best positions to succeed.

engie
12-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Extra 2-3 million??? Or just 2-3 million total...? An extra 2-3 million would put us up in the top ranks of assistant payroll...

I'm including the extra $1-1.5mil Mullen is going to get. Also assuming a 25% raise for remaining assistants(to match the 25% OM just gave their guys, which we'll almost certainly try to do)...

We're pushing way above $1mil and possibly close to $2mil extra money before you even consider the new hire(s)....

War Machine Dawg
12-24-2014, 11:17 AM
I would like to see Orgeron be DL/DC and Recruitng Coordinator, and someone hired as LB/Special Teams Coordinator, if they have had Special Teams experience. We can afford that and that is a win win for the team.

Um, no. Hire a dedicated LB coach. The most obvious way to get a ST Coach on staff is to move Sallach into an administrative role, which we tried to do 2 years ago. Seriously, does anyone know what he brings to the staff other than being Mullen's bff? There are tons of good TE/ST types available. That said, I have NO faith in Mullen realizing STs are a problem and making a change to fix it.

mic
12-24-2014, 11:23 AM
I'm including the extra $1-1.5mil Mullen is going to get. Also assuming a 25% raise for remaining assistants(to match the 25% OM just gave their guys, which we'll almost certainly try to do)...

We're pushing way above $1mil and possibly close to $2mil extra money before you even consider the new hire(s)....

Yep.. Let's see if Scotty can step up.. Doing something big here that needs to be done could take some heat off his ass...

War Machine Dawg
12-24-2014, 11:27 AM
Yep.. Let's see if Scotty can step up.. Doing something big here that needs to be done could take some heat off his ass...

The heat will stay on until he pulls the plug on Ray, regardless of football. And please don't hijack this thread, hoops trolls.

mic
12-24-2014, 11:33 AM
The heat will stay on until he pulls the plug on Ray, regardless of football. And please don't hijack this thread, hoops trolls.

Yes and yes... That's why he needs to get this done...

defiantdog
12-24-2014, 11:48 AM
I believe Clark was only getting 500,000 from UAB. So I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be too difficult to counter (he turned down Troy's offer of $660,000). Coach O would be a good fit, but who would coach LB's?

NCDawg
12-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Kind of bothers me that everybody is so fired up about maybe getting Orgeron as our DC. Seems like most of the time when State fans have their hopes up, they are dashed; e.g., Alabama and Ole Miss this year. Really hope we get him, though. I doubt if we would see the terrible defensive performance again that we saw in the Ole Miss game.

HoopsDawg
12-24-2014, 11:50 AM
I'm so pumped about Coach O. Please let this happen. O called a lot of the Defense at Ole Miss and at USC. He will bring aggressiveness back to our D. If this happens give Mullen credit for not being worried about having another strong personality on staff. Also, Mullen's weakness is recruiting. He would be addressing that by bringing on the best recruiter in the country. We should be able to get anyone we want out of Louisiana that LSU doesn't sign.

MetEdDawg
12-24-2014, 11:52 AM
I believe Clark was only getting 500,000 from UAB. So I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be too difficult to counter (he turned down Troy's offer of $660,000). Coach O would be a good fit, but who would coach LB's?

That's my whole problem with this scenario. Doesn't have LB experience or DC experience. Teams that are good or trying to become mainstays at the top don't sacrifice on the field play for some recruiting. I believe we would be doing that with this hire. If we hire Orgeron and keep everyone else, we would have no one on defense that has coached LB's in 15 years. That's a huge problem in my opinion and not worth the potential recruiting impact.

CadaverDawg
12-24-2014, 11:59 AM
I have zero problem with O, but for some reason it feels weird knowing he could be on our staff. I guess because he isn't the typical MSU hire. That being said, the typical MSU hires have gotten us nowhere prior to Mullen's arrival, so bring on Yaw Yaw.

Who is rumored to be the "other" hire you guys keep mentioning? Is it a LB coach? Shannon? Clark? Someone tell me the rumors. PM me if you'd rather keep it private.

HoopsDawg
12-24-2014, 12:06 PM
That's my whole problem with this scenario. Doesn't have LB experience or DC experience. Teams that are good or trying to become mainstays at the top don't sacrifice on the field play for some recruiting. I believe we would be doing that with this hire. If we hire Orgeron and keep everyone else, we would have no one on defense that has coached LB's in 15 years. That's a huge problem in my opinion and not worth the potential recruiting impact.

Please just relax on the LB coach thing. It will work out. And even if it's Coach O coaching the LB's, he can handle it.

jumbo
12-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Agreed.

I'm willing to bet this has to do with why Mullen's extension hasn't been announced yet

MetEdDawg
12-24-2014, 12:17 PM
Please just relax on the LB coach thing. It will work out. And even if it's Coach O coaching the LB's, he can handle it.

I just want to know why you think he can handle it considering he hasn't coached it in 20 years. I think his name and recruiting ability is masking two fairly obvious flaws of this hire as a defensive coordinator, and that's the complete lack of LB coaching experience we would have on staff assuming that's the position he would take over if he is hired, and that he's never been a defensive coordinator.

I can't believe some would want to hire someone as our defensive coordinator and LB coach that doesn't have DC experience or LB experience but can recruit very well. I agree the potential is there, but to me the ONLY way this is a home run hire is if Orgeron gets paid to be the DL coach and recruiting coordinator and we go out and find a DC like a Clark or a Durkin or a Shannon that actually has DC experience and can coach LBs.

It might work out yes. But if we think Turner as our DL coach and Orgeron as our DC/LB coach or Orgeron as the DC/DL coach and Turner as the LB coach is a home run than we've become very misguided as a fan base in what a successful program looks like. A home run is Turner goes to UF or we "go a different direction" and we shell out big bucks to hire Orgeron as the DL coach/recruiting coordinator and Clark/Shannon/Durkin as our DC/LB coach.

maroonmania
12-24-2014, 12:18 PM
As of right now the plan is just to bring in Orgeron & the rest of the staff stays intact. Of course that can always change but as of right now O would be the only hire.

So two DL coaches and two secondary coaches and that's it, none of which have technically served as a DC? I don't believe that is the final solution.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-24-2014, 12:22 PM
So two DL coaches and two secondary coaches and that's it, none of which have technically served as a DC? I don't believe that is the final solution.

That's fine I'm just telling what the plan is as of today. If we get O the plan "As of Today" is for him to be the DC/LB Coach. If you think something else happens that's cool just telling what I know right now.

Thick
12-24-2014, 12:27 PM
WILD BOYZ!!!!!

Half time entertainment will be O wrestling Hev on the 50 yard line! Death Cage match!!

That's funny!!

defiantdog
12-24-2014, 12:29 PM
That's fine I'm just telling what the plan is as of today. If we get O the plan "As of Today" is for him to be the DC/LB Coach. If you think something else happens that's cool just telling what I know right now.

I've heard the rumor of coach o thinking about joining Riley at Nebraska. You think he's looking at which school will pay more?

engie
12-24-2014, 12:31 PM
I just want to know why you think he can handle it considering he hasn't coached it in 20 years. I think his name and recruiting ability is masking two fairly obvious flaws of this hire as a defensive coordinator, and that's the complete lack of LB coaching experience we would have on staff assuming that's the position he would take over if he is hired, and that he's never been a defensive coordinator.

I can't believe some would want to hire someone as our defensive coordinator and LB coach that doesn't have DC experience or LB experience but can recruit very well. I agree the potential is there, but to me the ONLY way this is a home run hire is if Orgeron gets paid to be the DL coach and recruiting coordinator and we go out and find a DC like a Clark or a Durkin or a Shannon that actually has DC experience and can coach LBs.

It might work out yes. But if we think Turner as our DL coach and Orgeron as our DC/LB coach or Orgeron as the DC/DL coach and Turner as the LB coach is a home run than we've become very misguided as a fan base in what a successful program looks like. A home run is Turner goes to UF or we "go a different direction" and we shell out big bucks to hire Orgeron as the DL coach/recruiting coordinator and Clark/Shannon/Durkin as our DC/LB coach.

Same concerns here. It doesn't make practical sense. My feelings are identical to yours...

Ifyouonlyknew
12-24-2014, 12:36 PM
I've heard the rumor of coach o thinking about joining Riley at Nebraska. You think he's looking at which school will pay more?

He very well may. I'm not saying it's a done deal bc we know nothing is final until they're on campus but it's very close to being official.

HoopsDawg
12-24-2014, 12:36 PM
Same concerns here. It doesn't make practical sense. My feelings are identical to yours...

Have a little vision gentlemen. It's amazing that you value Bill Clark's time as a DC at South Alabama more than O's experience as a SEC head coach and a HC at USC. Shannon hasn't coached a defense in 8 years and when he did, he had NFL players at every position. O is not a head coach and he is not an offensive coach. But the man knows Defense. He was heavily involved with the defenses at Ole Miss and USC.

MetEdDawg
12-24-2014, 12:39 PM

Glad someone else feels the same. I can't believe a lot of us are falling into this recruiting is everything trap and don't see the other ramifications it has. We seem to be doing just fine right now with our 2015 and 2016 class. Much better than in the past. Is Orgeron going to help us so much more in recruiting that we just say screw the LB unit he will figure it out along the way? What coach or university in our current position does that?

If we hire Orgeron as our DC/LB coach and that's the only coaching move we make there, I will be extremely unimpressed with the vision of where our football program needs to go.

MetEdDawg
12-24-2014, 12:41 PM
Have a little vision gentlemen. It's amazing that you value Bill Clark's time as a DC at South Alabama more than O's experience as a SEC head coach and a HC at USC. Shannon hasn't coached a defense in 8 years and when he did, he had NFL players at every position. O is not a head coach and he is not an offensive coach. But the man knows Defense. He was heavily involved with the defenses at Ole Miss and USC.

Then why has he never been a defensive coordinator and been a sucky SEC HC? And I guess Orgeron having a bunch of NFL players at USC doesn't count for him but it does for Shannon?

Croom is not a HC or a defensive coach but the man knows running backs and has SEC HC experience. Heck he's got years in the NFL too AND was an OC for the Lions. I say we bring him on as OC for us.

Liverpooldawg
12-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Glad someone else feels the same. I can't believe a lot of us are falling into this recruiting is everything trap and don't see the other ramifications it has. We seem to be doing just fine right now with our 2015 and 2016 class. Much better than in the past. Is Orgeron going to help us so much more in recruiting that we just say screw the LB unit he will figure it out along the way? What coach or university in our current position does that?

If we hire Orgeron as our DC/LB coach and that's the only coaching move we make there, I will be extremely unimpressed with the vision of where our football program needs to go.

And I would be extremely impressed. An ex USC head coach on staff as an assistant? Come on man! O knows defense and recruiting. Its a no brainer homerun hire. That's why I don't think it will happen. We cant get that lucky.

MetEdDawg
12-24-2014, 12:49 PM
And I would be extremely impressed. An ex USC head coach on staff as an assistant? Come on man! O knows defense and recruiting. Its a no brainer homerun hire. That's why I don't think it will happen. We cant get that lucky.

The bold is where you are wrong. If he knew defense, he would have been a defensive coordinator SOMEWHERE along the line in his 30 years of coaching. He hasn't been.

He does know recruiting, but he knows the defensive line. Why wasn't he the DC for the Saints? Or USC? Or Tennessee? Or Syracuse? I mean come on. Let's not give him more than he deserves. He's good at coaching the DL and recruiting but if he were that good at calling a defense he would have been hired as a defensive coordinator by this point in his career.

starkvegasdawg
12-24-2014, 12:50 PM

All comes down to which is stronger...the dead Indians' medicine men or the Cajuns' voodoo.

HoopsDawg
12-24-2014, 12:56 PM
Then why has he never been a defensive coordinator and been a sucky SEC HC? And I guess Orgeron having a bunch of NFL players at USC doesn't count for him but it does for Shannon?

Croom is not a HC or a defensive coach but the man knows running backs and has SEC HC experience. Heck he's got years in the NFL too AND was an OC for the Lions. I say we bring him on as OC for us.

You've got your mind made up. I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. Continue with your sulking....

engie
12-24-2014, 12:57 PM

I wouldn't want Saban as offensive coordinator either...

MetEdDawg
12-24-2014, 12:59 PM
You've got your mind made up. I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. Continue with your sulking....

I'm not asking you to convince me. Just a difference of opinion. We should be able to have that. I'm just trying to get an explanation as to why he would be a good defensive coordinator for us and voicing my concerns as to why I think he's not a good choice. That's all I want. Other than he's a good recruiter, I just want to have a discussion as to why he would be a good defensive coordinator for us other than I think he can do it.

This is a big decision and something that bears discussion amongst our fan base. A lot of potential options are on the table. It's a topic worthy of discussion and back and forth.

engie
12-24-2014, 01:02 PM

As an assistant? Sure! Would love to have him.

As the guy in charge of our defense and can make or break one of the greatest potential seasons in MSU history? Something he's arguably never done and certainly never done against the spread -- and trotted an 80th ranked D on the field in 07 that Tyrone f'n Nix proved had elite talent the very next year? Nothing O's ever done inspires me that he'd be great as a defensive playcaller...

ShotgunDawg
12-24-2014, 01:06 PM

O would rather be at MSU than Nebraska. Closer to home, better players, and a greater platform (SEC) to promote himself as a head coach candidate.

If O does well as MSU's DC, he'll be a head coach within 2 years.

He'd be highly motivated and do great. I hope we get him. It's a homerun hire that could push us over the top.

Coach34
12-24-2014, 01:06 PM
O wasn't DC at Tennessee or USC because Kiffin wanted to coach with his Dad- but O had a lot of input on things

HoopsDawg
12-24-2014, 01:16 PM
O wasn't DC at Tennessee or USC because Kiffin wanted to coach with his Dad- but O had a lot of input on things

That's right. He even had some weird title like pre-game scheme coordinator. Hard to find 2 better guys to study under than Pete Carroll and Monte Kiffen.

engie
12-24-2014, 01:29 PM

So naturally when kiffin fired his dad, O got promoted right?

Nevermind that his mentor is basically the founder of the very defense our fanbase has come to hate so badly....

TDawg52
12-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Street talk is that "O" interviewed last Monday night....

bulldawg28
12-24-2014, 01:52 PM
So naturally when kiffin fired his dad, O got promoted right?

Nevermind that his mentor is basically the founder of the very defense our fanbase has come to hate so badly....

Kiffin ran cover 2 We were a man defense.

Todd4State
12-24-2014, 02:04 PM
Let's think logically here. I'm pretty sure that if we hire Orgeron, we are going to let Turner go and then hire a LB coach.

We haven't hired anybody yet- so there's no reason to let Turner go, and there's no reason to tell him that he will be gone at this point. What happens if we told Turner that we were going to hire Orgeron and then Coach O for some reason goes to Nebraska?

Now, I'm sure Turner has heard rumors and probably suspects that he is about to be let go, but if you ask him to his face like Paul or Rosebowl or whoever asked him if he is going to be back, as long as he has a functioning brain, he kind of has to say yes. Because if he says no, then Dan is going to expect a resignation one way or the other- and if we don't hire Coach O, then Turner would have pretty much hung himself at MSU.

And we need Turner for the bowl game.

CadaverDawg
12-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Todd gets it. We're not just going to throw O in there as DC and LB coach. Mullen isn't dumb. And even if we did...we could do much worse. Everybody chill, hiring O as DC is nowhere NEAR as terrible and dramatic as some of you act....but it's not as sure fire home run as others think. The truth lies in the middle, and we likely will have other hires that come with O if we do hire him. Mullen will put him in position to succeed, and give him the help he needs.

engie
12-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Kiffin ran cover 2 We were a man defense.

Say what?

engie
12-24-2014, 02:22 PM
Exactly Todd.

And I'm great with that. Which I why I feel like there has to be more than meets the eye....

Political Hack
12-24-2014, 02:27 PM
anyone who has a problem with this, yar yar yar.

The defense will play lights out for this guy. His players love him. I'll take that.

Really Clark?
12-24-2014, 02:41 PM
I'm so pumped about Coach O. Please let this happen. O called a lot of the Defense at Ole Miss and at USC. He will bring aggressiveness back to our D. If this happens give Mullen credit for not being worried about having another strong personality on staff. Also, Mullen's weakness is recruiting. He would be addressing that by bringing on the best recruiter in the country. We should be able to get anyone we want out of Louisiana that LSU doesn't sign.

He did not call that much at USC and the DL calls he made were under someone else's system. Monte then Pendergast made the calls. That's been discussed before. How much scheming he did at UM I'm not certain on, but I do know that defense got significantly worse each year even with NFL talent.

Sacrifice
12-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Damn I love Coach O, I just wish he had more on his resume than HC/DL/RC. No doubt he was damn good at 2 of the 3. I'm still holding out for Shannon..

MetEdDawg
12-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Todd gets it. We're not just going to throw O in there as DC and LB coach. Mullen isn't dumb. And even if we did...we could do much worse. Everybody chill, hiring O as DC is nowhere NEAR as terrible and dramatic as some of you act....but it's not as sure fire home run as others think. The truth lies in the middle, and we likely will have other hires that come with O if we do hire him. Mullen will put him in position to succeed, and give him the help he needs.

This is what people like me and Engie are trying to say. I don't think he would be a bad DC as long as he is in control of the DL. Would I prefer him as DC to a few others? No. I think Clark/Durkin/Shannon are better hires for the DC spot. But if Orgeron is our DC, Turner is let go, and we bring in an LB coach, I'm 100% ok with that and think we can be very successful there. But in order to do this, we HAVE to be willing to put up the money to do it.

That's the other part of this is. I think Mullen is not signing his contract because he is negotiating the money necessary to bring in the people he wants for us to be successful. It's going to take money for us to elevate ourselves and Mullen has known that from day 1. This to me is the unknown piece of the puzzle. Are we willing to take a big leap and pay a DC one million? Are we willing to bump assistant pay up in the 300-400K range? Mullen is going to fight for that because it's another piece of our image we are trying to rebrand that we are a destination, not a stepping stone. The Collins move has magnified that fact even moreso.

I seen it dawg
12-24-2014, 03:23 PM

Then don't bring up Ray and there won't be a hijack.

War Machine Dawg
12-24-2014, 04:08 PM
Then don't bring up Ray and there won't be a hijack.

Way to be a jerk. There was all of 1 reply before you decided to bring it up again TWO PAGES LATER.

http://i.imgur.com/7WuyEtn.gif

Political Hack
12-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Ricky Ray for DC.***

There's only 1 other OM coach ever that I can think of that I'd ever want on our staff, and he's not leaving Duke.

Jack Lambert
12-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Womack (Ole Miss DC, I don't know how to spell his naem) sux as a coach but his defense is good because of the talent level. Coach O will get that kind of talent.

Political Hack
12-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Womack (Ole Miss DC, I don't know how to spell his naem) sux as a coach but his defense is good because of the talent level. Coach O will get that kind of talent.

he also won't be afraid to put his top 11 on the field regardless of class. Sr's won't play ahead of JR's and Sophomores just because they're a year older.

I seen it dawg
12-24-2014, 04:24 PM
Way to be a jerk. There was all of 1 reply before you decided to bring it up again TWO PAGES LATER.

http://i.imgur.com/7WuyEtn.gif

Yeah I should have just let it go....but why bring it up in the first place? And then reply to my reply? But I should have just let it go and not tempted you...

CadaverDawg
12-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Rick Ray runs a version of "Football on Hardwood", or at least the injuries lead me to believe that.

engie
12-24-2014, 05:06 PM

Womack has 25 years as a defensive coordinator all over major college football. Nothing at all like Orgeron. Wommack is FAR more comparable to Joe Lee Dunn than to Orgeron. Elite schemer -- not a recruiter. And let's not pretend his first couple of defenses there had elite talent. He started a bunch of Nutt freshmen and knocked our dicks in the dirt his first year on the job...

Jack Lambert
12-24-2014, 06:16 PM
Womack has 25 years as a defensive coordinator all over major college football. Nothing at all like Orgeron. Wommack is FAR more comparable to Joe Lee Dunn than to Orgeron. Elite schemer -- not a recruiter. And let's not pretend his first couple of defenses there had elite talent. He started a bunch of Nutt freshmen and knocked our dicks in the dirt his first year on the job...

I guess that's why no one comes for him to coach for them.

HancockCountyDog
12-24-2014, 06:32 PM

Engie, I'm completely with you on this, but you are t going to win this battle. People are thinking Crootin and not schemes.

engie
12-24-2014, 06:44 PM
I guess that's why no one comes for him to coach for them.

Joe Lee Wommack**

bulldawg28
12-24-2014, 11:59 PM

Joe Lee wasn't an elite schemer we ran 5-7 plays regardless of whom we played. It was the talent and the inability of teams to single block DL that caused confusion. Once teams were able to single block the DL they maxed protected with RB'S blocking blitzing LB'S and dog safeties leaving average corners one on one. As the talent level with DL decreased so went his defense. Ask me how i know....So if Orgeron can bring in talent and put that talent in a decent predicament the defense will be fine .

Todd4State
12-25-2014, 12:12 AM
If I am not mistaken Orgeron gave up the DC play calling duties to John Thompson by his final year there FWIW.

JDog13
12-25-2014, 12:29 AM
If O is hired, I will be the LB coach/DC. I have been playing Madden since 98, so that's 16 years of experience. I bring the house every play. Psycho defense will be renamed YOLO defense in JLD's honor.

IMissJack
12-25-2014, 07:33 AM
My only question with O is, how long would he be here? One year or so? I don't see us being his long term plan. I actually went to the same High School in Arkansas as O's wife, although she is about 4 years older than me. Maybe O is just ready to be in coaching again?

Dawgface
12-25-2014, 08:15 AM
My only question with O is, how long would he be here? One year or so? I don't see us being his long term plan. I actually went to the same High School in Arkansas as O's wife, although she is about 4 years older than me. Maybe O is just ready to be in coaching again?

If we get 2 years out of him it will be the norm for us. None of the DC we have hired have viewed us a long term plan.

MetEdDawg
12-25-2014, 10:34 AM
If we get 2 years out of him it will be the norm for us. None of the DC we have hired have viewed us a long term plan.

And I'm ok with that if these guys are getting promoted. Now eventually we want to get to the point where they are taking HC jobs and not more high profile DC jobs. But Manny went to UT and Collins went to UF. Both were upgrades at their job which means we were doing something right on the field. Also add that Gonzales got an interview for the CSU HC job.

Good programs have turnover at their coaching positions because they are successful on the field. Turnover right now sucks because we are at a more fragile point in the building of our program. But in a couple years we hopefully have the infrastructure where we are a destination program and the loss of a coordinator doesn't mean we have to go find one. It means we get to choose who we want to be part of our program.

FlabLoser
12-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Good programs have turnover at their coaching positions because they are successful on the field. Turnover right now sucks because we are at a more fragile point in the building of our program. But in a couple years we hopefully have the infrastructure where we are a destination program and the loss of a coordinator doesn't mean we have to go find one. It means we get to choose who we want to be part of our program.

Great point. A necessary step is becoming a great program is having your coaching staff poached. There are only handful - 5, maybe 10, programs that can poach our coaches. But its gonna happen. Sooner than later, maybe even right now, we are a place where talented coaches want to coach either as a destination or a stepping stone to the rare instances where a Florida, Texas, or Alabama has an opening.

BiscuitEater
12-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Forget about Clark from UAB. Bring Pendergast in let's cause some serious havoc in the SEC.

He was a graduate assistant or assistant coach at Mississippi State, University of Southern California, University of Oklahoma, and University of Alabama at Birmingham before joining the Houston Oilers in 1995.