PDA

View Full Version : Young guys in bowl practice

msstate7
12-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Which ones are showing promise?

MabenMaroon
12-24-2014, 09:52 AM
I have heard from some folks who attended some practices that Dontavian Lee, Cory Thomas, Chris Rayford, Jesse Jackson, Deion Calhoun, Elgton Jenkins and BJ Hammond had all raised some eyebrows and got the wool up on some of the folks I spoke with. Also heard that Grant Harris, Braxton Hoyett, Aeris Williams, Gerri Green, and Nick Fitzgerald all looked real solid and as good as expected. It sounded like a little in-game experience combined with another off season of s&c and some coaching and we will be right back where we were this year, if not better. Again, chemistry, leadership and health will all be big keys for success, but the depth is definitely building.

msstate7
12-24-2014, 10:18 AM
I have heard from some folks who attended some practices that Dontavian Lee, Cory Thomas, Chris Rayford, Jesse Jackson, Deion Calhoun, Elgton Jenkins and BJ Hammond had all raised some eyebrows and got the wool up on some of the folks I spoke with. Also heard that Grant Harris, Braxton Hoyett, Aeris Williams, Gerri Green, and Nick Fitzgerald all looked real solid and as good as expected. It sounded like a little in-game experience combined with another off season of s&c and some coaching and we will be right back where we were this year, if not better. Again, chemistry, leadership and health will all be big keys for success, but the depth is definitely building.

I notice you didn't mention Brandon Bryant. Hopefully he's progressing nicely.

If Jenkins and calhoun are as good as what I'm hearing, we got 2 steals.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Jenkins, Thomas, Green, Calhoun, & Bryant all should be in the 2 deep next year. Fitzgerald & Williams will have a shot also depending on who stays & who goes. Lee, Jackson, & Rayford will cut their teeth on special teams. Hoyette & Harris should get spot duty on the DL.

MetEdDawg
12-24-2014, 10:30 AM

Although our ability to land big time OL hasn't been pretty much non existent, our ability to identify overlooked OL with potential and maximize their output has been spot on. Clausell was a 2 star with no other offers and turned into a 3+ year starter at LT that was more than serviceable. Dillon Day was a 2 star that now has NFL potential as a free agent I believe that was a 3 year starter. Justin Malone I believe had no other offers and he has NFL draft potential. I don't think Senior had many if any offers and he's proven to be good at times this year as well.

Point is, we have a very good track record of finding hard working guys that have been overlooked and turning them into solid OL. Jenkins and Calhoun will hopefully fit that same bill and I believe both could make an impact next year.

MabenMaroon
12-24-2014, 11:28 AM

My omission, I tried to think of everybody that the folks I spoke with mentioned, I think they mentioned him in the first group I listed.

MabenMaroon
12-24-2014, 11:46 AM
One thing about Elgton Jenkins, if I am not mistaken, he actually was on everybody's prospect radar prior to his summer before his sr. season. The reason he fell off the charts is that most everyone assumed that he would be an academic casualty ( ACT scores in particular and behind on core curricula courses ). I think most of the schools in the region were aware of his abilities and it wasn't until the late recruiting season drama emerged with Brandon Bryant and we started focusing more on his team mate JT Gray. Both Elgton and JT badly wanted to go to school together that is when we found out that he had made tremendous strides in his academic progress and was more than likely going to make it. I think it is pretty cool how all of that worked out, we wind up getting all three of the young men and it looks like all three are going to be significant contributors in the future.

HoopsDawg
12-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Which ones are showing promise?

I think the only ones who will make an impact next year other than special teams are Gerri Green, Cory Thomas, and Brandon Bryant. And then you will have either Aeris or Lee, whoever wins that very close battle. Lee has been surprising to me. Dude is big and has little wiggle too.

hailmari
12-24-2014, 12:49 PM
I liked Lee's video from the start. I never understood why some on here were just casting him aside or assuming him as a LB. If he's competeing with Aeris, he good.

Miss. Stake
12-24-2014, 12:57 PM
Although our ability to land big time OL hasn't been pretty much non existent, our ability to identify overlooked OL with potential and maximize their output has been spot on. Clausell was a 2 star with no other offers and turned into a 3+ year starter at LT that was more than serviceable. Dillon Day was a 2 star that now has NFL potential as a free agent I believe that was a 3 year starter. Justin Malone I believe had no other offers and he has NFL draft potential. I don't think Senior had many if any offers and he's proven to be good at times this year as well.

Point is, we have a very good track record of finding hard working guys that have been overlooked and turning them into solid OL. Jenkins and Calhoun will hopefully fit that same bill and I believe both could make an impact next year.

Sure, we've been good at spotting undervalued OL, but it sure would be nice to have an elite OL like our DL. If we want to win big time games on the road (ala bama and ole miss this year) you need an elite, talented OL

MetEdDawg
12-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Sure, we've been good at spotting undervalued OL, but it sure would be nice to have an elite OL like our DL. If we want to win big time games on the road (ala bama and ole miss this year) you need an elite, talented OL

This I agree with. I've never had a problem with our interior OL. But we've been serviceable at the tackle spot for a very long time. I would like something like dead ringer at the tackle positions. A Sherrod type that was just a beast. Clausell was good but it would be nice to get an elite tackle. Hoping Rankin can be that for us.