PDA

View Full Version : I got some news today that Dakota is returning

Coach34
12-23-2014, 10:56 PM
He has goals still that he hasn't achieved. He will be back

JRob? Not so much

Todd4State
12-23-2014, 10:59 PM
Robinson probably should come back for his own good. Hopefully Dan will talk some sense into him.

ShotgunDawg
12-23-2014, 10:59 PM
I wish J Rob would come back, but that isn't critical. With the Shump ran the ball at the end of the year, and with Aeris Williams and Dontavian Lee ready to play next year, I think we'll be fine.

Just FYI, apparently some people have been incredibly impressed with Dontavian Lee at the bowl practices. Word is that he looks like a legit SEC back that could really make some noise. If fact, and I don't know this to be certain, but I believe there are some believe Lee may be better than Williams.

Coach34
12-23-2014, 11:03 PM
JRob needs to go. Coming back won't help his draft stock. He needs to work his ass off before the Combine and get ready to be drafted in the 5th-6th round. Then go prove he is worth more

Selfishly I want him back- but leaving is beat for him personally

Todd4State
12-23-2014, 11:07 PM
JRob needs to go. Coming back won't help his draft stock. He needs to work his ass off before the Combine and get ready to be drafted in the 5th-6th round. Then go prove he is worth more

Selfishly I want him back- but leaving is beat for him personally

That's why I think he should come back. That's awfully close to not being drafted at all. I want him back, but I also don't want him to make a poor decision when in my opinion, he could come back, work on his blocking and become a more complete back and get up into the 2-4 round.

I would hate to lose him selfishly too- but I'd also hate to see him get burned out of not getting millions of dollars. Especially after everything that he has been through in his life.

Dawgface
12-23-2014, 11:15 PM
I just don't see J Rob making it in the pros. I'm certainly no NFL expert and I do hope he does well if he goes that route.

msstate7
12-23-2014, 11:20 PM
I just don't see J Rob making it in the pros. I'm certainly no NFL expert and I do hope he does well if he goes that route.

I can certainly see jrob running the ball in the nfl. If he wants to see the field though, he has to get better in pass protection

HoopsDawg
12-23-2014, 11:52 PM

That's why I think he should come back. He might regret the year that could have been. He is becoming a household name at the college level and that's something u can't get back.

maroonmania
12-23-2014, 11:53 PM
Jrob likely won't help himself that much by coming back in terms of the draft but he would certainly help us significantly. While we have some guys with some potential we don't have any backs that have gained 200 yards in meaningful games like Jrob has. As a runner and pass catcher Jrob is quite a bit better than anything else I've seen from anyone else. The only area Jrob has issues in is blocking. Shump can be a power back but he is not the shifty back to make a lot of yardage when big holes aren't being opened.

SDDawg
12-24-2014, 12:04 AM
Good to hear on Dak. A little bummed on Jrob but given his situation and story, I completely understand where he's coming from. He clearly has the confidence at believes in himself, so hopefully he can make something happen.

ShotgunDawg
12-24-2014, 12:12 AM
Jrob likely won't help himself that much by coming back in terms of the draft but he would certainly help us significantly. While we have some guys with some potential we don't have any backs that have gained 200 yards in meaningful games like Jrob has. As a runner and pass catcher Jrob is quite a bit better than anything else I've seen from anyone else. The only area Jrob has issues in is blocking. Shump can be a power back but he is not the shifty back to make a lot of yardage when big holes aren't being opened.

I agree that J Rob may not help himself in the draft by coming back, but he could help himself by refining his game enough to stay on an NFL roster. There is a difference between 6th round picks that stay on the roster and 6th round picks that get cut. As a late rounder, you aren't going to have a long leash, so it's better to be completely ready and make the team, rather than still having to refine things.

I say another thing, if J Rob came back, Mullen should put him on special teams as well. That would increase his NFL stock more than anything.

Coach34
12-24-2014, 12:17 AM

Ray Rice did but JRob can't? JRob has to make up his mind to be better in pass pro and he will be fine. He certainly needs more effort there

Todd4State
12-24-2014, 12:56 AM
I agree that J Rob may not help himself in the draft by coming back, but he could help himself by refining his game enough to stay on an NFL roster. There is a difference between 6th round picks that stay on the roster and 6th round picks that get cut. As a late rounder, you aren't going to have a long leash, so it's better to be completely ready and make the team, rather than still having to refine things.

I say another thing, if J Rob came back, Mullen should put him on special teams as well. That would increase his NFL stock more than anything.

I like this idea. He would he hell on kickoffs.

basedog
12-24-2014, 05:39 AM
I can tell u that JRob want be back. He told Mullen sometime after the Kentucky that he was "thinking of going to the Nfl". Mullen told him that RB's in the Nfl don't get drafted high and they were a dime a dozen, he gave him his blessing. Mullen also told someone close to JRob's family he wouldn't be missed as he feels really good with what we have coming back next year. He also told JRob he better work his tail off to make it it in the Pro's.

Take it what it's worth but Mullen never batted an eye with JRob leaving. He also told him to quick thinking about stats and dancing around, that's another reason he didn't carry the ball mch the last few games.

DownwardDawg
12-24-2014, 08:57 AM
Has J rob graduated? He needs a degree to help guarantee a job later. I want him to do well in life.

jimbo352
12-24-2014, 09:13 AM
He has goals still that he hasn't achieved. He will be back

Did he not get the news he wanted from the NFL, or does he just want to come back? Seems like the draft is light on QB's, so I was afraid he'd get an NFL grade he couldn't refuse.

Great news if true. He instantly makes us a contender.

Does anyone know what day they have to declare by?

BogeyGolfer
12-24-2014, 09:19 AM
I wish J Rob would come back, but that isn't critical. With the Shump ran the ball at the end of the year, and with Aeris Williams and Dontavian Lee ready to play next year, I think we'll be fine.

Just FYI, apparently some people have been incredibly impressed with Dontavian Lee at the bowl practices. Word is that he looks like a legit SEC back that could really make some noise. If fact, and I don't know this to be certain, but I believe there are some believe Lee may be better than Williams.

I posted last year after looking at tape that Lee may be our best back on the board, many said that he may not make it to campus or that we may gray-shirt him... The kid can play.

bulldawg28
12-24-2014, 09:23 AM
I can tell u that JRob want be back. He told Mullen sometime after the Kentucky that he was "thinking of going to the Nfl". Mullen told him that RB's in the Nfl don't get drafted high and they were a dime a dozen, he gave him his blessing. Mullen also told someone close to JRob's family he wouldn't be missed as he feels really good with what we have coming back next year. He also told JRob he better work his tail off to make it it in the Pro's.

Take it what it's worth but Mullen never batted an eye with JRob leaving. He also told him to quick thinking about stats and dancing around, that's another reason he didn't carry the ball mch the last few games.

Some of your story is fabricated. No coach unless he feels your worthless says goodbye you won't be missed, especially to his family. You sir need another source.

FISHDAWG
12-24-2014, 09:44 AM

this brings a question to mind - this years redshirts ... are they allowed to play in bowl games without affecting remaining eligibility ?

DownwardDawg
12-24-2014, 09:47 AM
this brings a question to mind - this years redshirts ... are they allowed to play in bowl games without affecting remaining eligibility ?

No

Coach34
12-24-2014, 09:49 AM
Did he not get the news he wanted from the NFL, or does he just want to come back? Seems like the draft is light on QB's, so I was afraid he'd get an NFL grade he couldn't refuse.

Great news if true. He instantly makes us a contender.

Does anyone know what day they have to declare by?

he actually got a favorable projection- but knows he can still improve and in the Tebow mold it seems- feels like he has business still to attend to in college. Got to keep in mind- Dakota is not like everybody else

basedog
12-24-2014, 10:13 AM
No it is not! This was told to folks very close to JRob!

Where'sWaldo
12-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Anyone who thinks Jrob can be easily replaced after watching our past season has lost their mind. JRob was head and shoulders above every other back we put on the field. Shumpert will never be a premiere back for us because he searches for contact while Jrob knows how to avoid contact and get extra yards.

HoopsDawg
12-24-2014, 01:29 PM
Anyone who thinks Jrob can be easily replaced after watching our past season has lost their mind. JRob was head and shoulders above every other back we put on the field. Shumpert will never be a premiere back for us because he searches for contact while Jrob knows how to avoid contact and get extra yards.

J-Rob became a real weapon as a receiver too.

I don't think J-Rob can really improve his draft stock by coming back, but i do think he can improve as a player. Also, he doesn't have a lot of miles on his legs b/c this was the first year he got a lot of carries. I think he should come back and enjoy being a college player for one more year. Then give the pros a shot. But easy for me to say.

Political Hack
12-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Ray Rice did but JRob can't? JRob has to make up his mind to be better in pass pro and he will be fine. He certainly needs more effort there

not a good comparison. JRob is more like MJD.

HoopsDawg
12-24-2014, 01:50 PM
not a good comparison. JRob is more like MJD.

uh, it's pretty much the perfect comparison; from the combine...

OVERVIEW
At only 5-feet-9, 195 pounds, Rice lacks the size scouts are looking for in a franchise back. His lack of prototypical size, however, is the only characteristic in which Rice is lacking. With Brian Leonard moving on to the St. Louis Rams in 2007, defenses knew Rice was the key to stopping Rutgers -- and he still finished a school single-season record 2,012 rushing yards and 25 touchdowns. Quick, fast and surprisingly powerful, Rice is built in much the same mold as Jacksonville Jaguars star Maurice Jones-Drew, making him one of the more versatile and talented backs in a 2008 draft.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Positives: Short, but extremely thick with a muscular frame, especially in his lower body. ... Good initial quickness. ... Attacks the hole, but shows the lateral agility and vision to pick and slide, as well. ... Explosive through the hole and can make defenders miss. ... Much more powerful than his height makes seem possible. ... Uses his natural low center of gravity and impressive lower body strength to generate significant yardage after initial contact. ... Secure hands out of the backfield. ... Physical blocker who isn't afraid to face up the pass rusher. ... Negatives: Obvious size concerns. ... Lacks prototype breakaway speed, especially for a runner of his size. ... Physical blocker, but simply lacks the size to consistently hold up against NFL pass rushers. ... Has lost some tread on his tires with 910 rushing attempts over the last three years -- the second highest total in Big East history.

Political Hack
12-24-2014, 01:50 PM

agree. dudes a stud. been saying for months he's likely gone and got lambasted for it. now folks are starting to realize it's likely.

Political Hack
12-24-2014, 02:21 PM
uh, it's pretty much the perfect comparison; from the combine...

OVERVIEW
At only 5-feet-9, 195 pounds, Rice lacks the size scouts are looking for in a franchise back. His lack of prototypical size, however, is the only characteristic in which Rice is lacking. With Brian Leonard moving on to the St. Louis Rams in 2007, defenses knew Rice was the key to stopping Rutgers -- and he still finished a school single-season record 2,012 rushing yards and 25 touchdowns. Quick, fast and surprisingly powerful, Rice is built in much the same mold as Jacksonville Jaguars star Maurice Jones-Drew, making him one of the more versatile and talented backs in a 2008 draft.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Positives: Short, but extremely thick with a muscular frame, especially in his lower body. ... Good initial quickness. ... Attacks the hole, but shows the lateral agility and vision to pick and slide, as well. ... Explosive through the hole and can make defenders miss. ... Much more powerful than his height makes seem possible. ... Uses his natural low center of gravity and impressive lower body strength to generate significant yardage after initial contact. ... Secure hands out of the backfield. ... Physical blocker who isn't afraid to face up the pass rusher. ... Negatives: Obvious size concerns. ... Lacks prototype breakaway speed, especially for a runner of his size. ... Physical blocker, but simply lacks the size to consistently hold up against NFL pass rushers. ... Has lost some tread on his tires with 910 rushing attempts over the last three years -- the second highest total in Big East history.

you could also compare him to Danny devito if body type is all you care about. His running style fits MJD to a tee. It's not even a discussion. His running style is 1,000x's more like MJD than Rice. Rice is closer to being a 1-cut runner (especially later in his career) than JRob or MJD.

DudyDawg
12-24-2014, 02:36 PM

Shumpert was by far our most successful back against arguably the best defense we played, ole miss. He averaged over 6 a run this year. He can be a premier back. He came on especially strong late in the year. Add in lee, williams, holloway (against lesser teams) and possibly dear, and we will be fine. Do I want josh back, yes, but he's not a make or break guy like dak. We have guys who can play back there

basedog
12-24-2014, 03:06 PM
I agree DudyDawg, JRob had a heck of a year, but he let stats get in his head and started dancing and tying to get outside which didn't work the last few games. We got some young talent, go look at how many times JRob ran the ball the last few games, there is a reason he didn't get more carries.

Btw, I'm very thankful for JRob and wish him well, so it ain't like a have a thing against him, I just know what was told to me by someone who knows!

blacklistedbully
12-24-2014, 03:11 PM
We will miss his attitude. Seems like a great character to have on the team. Personally, I'd love to have him back, but will wish him well if he goes and believe someone will step up, just as JRob did this year.

HSVDawg
12-24-2014, 03:55 PM
That's why I think he should come back. That's awfully close to not being drafted at all. I want him back, but I also don't want him to make a poor decision when in my opinion, he could come back, work on his blocking and become a more complete back and get up into the 2-4 round.

I would hate to lose him selfishly too- but I'd also hate to see him get burned out of not getting millions of dollars. Especially after everything that he has been through in his life.

The truth is that the shelf life for RB's in the NFL is limited, and even the elite ones will rarely ever get drafted higher than the 3rd or 4th round any more. Robinson staying an extra year is one less year that he will be able to play for money. So even if he comes back and slightly improves his draft position, it may not be worth it over the long term of his career. It's all about opportunity cost. His best decision for himself would be to enter the draft.

Political Hack
12-24-2014, 04:07 PM
The truth is that the shelf life for RB's in the NFL is limited, and even the elite ones will rarely ever get drafted higher than the 3rd or 4th round any more. Robinson staying an extra year is one less year that he will be able to play for money. So even if he comes back and slightly improves his draft position, it may not be worth it over the long term of his career. It's all about opportunity cost. His best decision for himself would be to enter the draft.

this guy gets it.

maroonmania
12-24-2014, 04:37 PM

Really JRob has only had one season as a relied upon RB and he is just now coming into his own. No doubt coming back could help us a great deal and make him a more, complete seasoned player. BUT, given what I've seen of his background and economic situation and the family members that could benefit from him making NFL money, I would not hold it against him one iota if he does indeed go pro. Sometimes its not just about you but its about the people you love that you can help now. And if he does come back there is no guarantee that he retains being healthy in his SR year as he is now so I fully understand.

MSUMatt
12-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Robinson probably should come back for his own good. Hopefully Dan will talk some sense into him.

Running backs shelf life is shortest in football and the money they get for it reflects that. He's prob better off financially going and getting started on a pro career. Also considering a person who from all accounts, has never had anything, he should go. Wish he would stay but can't for a second disagree.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-24-2014, 05:00 PM
I agree with this, but he better get better in pass protection if he wants to make an NFL roster. There are guys who are equally/more talented than him who see no playing time in the NFL because they can't block well in pass protection.

HSVDawg
12-24-2014, 07:59 PM
I agree with this, but he better get better in pass protection if he wants to make an NFL roster. There are guys who are equally/more talented than him who see no playing time in the NFL because they can't block well in pass protection.

That is all certainly true, but getting better at pass blocking is something that can just as easily be done in an NFL camp as it can on a college football field. It's something that requires mental commitment and repitition, not necessarily innate talent like field vision or bouncing off would be tacklers. In fact, with as often as we go empty backfield on 3rd and long under Mullen, you could argue that Robinson wouldn't get those needed repititions for scouts to see during games.

aerodawg
12-26-2014, 02:15 AM
JRob? Not so much

Where is he going to go? A practice squad in the NFL? I just don't see him leaving unless he has received some bad advice on the draft. Running backs are not high priority picks to begin with these days, and the stock this year is filled with some really good guys assuming the juniors go pro as well. Just off the top of my head: Yeldon, Gordon, Abdullah, Coleman, and Artis-Payne. I'm not sure anyone would take him over those guys. That is already throwing him way down in the draft rounds right there if he was the very next guy in line, and I doubt that is true.

Coach34
12-26-2014, 09:05 AM
He still gets paid to be on a practice squad- not to play in the SEC...I think he'll make a roster pretty easily myself.

"Practice squad players practice alongside regular roster players during the week, but they are not allowed to play in actual games. They can be paid considerably less than active squad players: The minimum salary from 2008 to 2010 was $5,200 per week (2008-2010)[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_team#cite_note-nflpa-1) for 17 weeks, or $88,400 per season, in comparison to the NFL minimum rookie salary of $420,000. In 2012 the minimum salary for a practice squad player was $5,700 per week, and the minimum rookie salary in 2012 was $390,000. Some practice squad players are paid considerably more, however"

Pollodawg
12-26-2014, 12:44 PM
I talked to one of JRob's old pee wee coaches a couple of days ago. According to this guy, Josh is still in wait and see mode until after the bowl game.

HancockCountyDog
12-26-2014, 05:47 PM
He still gets paid to be on a practice squad- not to play in the SEC...I think he'll make a roster pretty easily myself.

"Practice squad players practice alongside regular roster players during the week, but they are not allowed to play in actual games. They can be paid considerably less than active squad players: The minimum salary from 2008 to 2010 was $5,200 per week (2008-2010)[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_team#cite_note-nflpa-1) for 17 weeks, or $88,400 per season, in comparison to the NFL minimum rookie salary of $420,000. In 2012 the minimum salary for a practice squad player was $5,700 per week, and the minimum rookie salary in 2012 was $390,000. Some practice squad players are paid considerably more, however"

Coach gets it. He can get paid to take a pounding or he can do it for free.

His draft grade won't move if he comes back for senior season and anyone that follows the draft, gets that.

HoopsDawg
12-26-2014, 05:49 PM
Coach gets it. He can get paid to take a pounding or he can do it for free.

His draft grade won't move if he comes back for senior season and anyone that follows the draft, gets that.

nothing to be said for another year of college football at an elite level? This may be as good as gets.

HancockCountyDog
12-26-2014, 05:58 PM
nothing to be said for another year of college football at an elite level? This may be as good as gets.

When it comes to RBs it doesn't matter. Tre Mason had one of the best years in SEZc history and was still just a 3rd round pick.

If he comes back and played behind a worse OL, he would have been lucky to go 3rd round. Robinson is at best a 4th-5th round pick, that doesn't change after a 1400 yard senior season. All that changes is Robinson taking the pounding and he risks injury for no pay.

Political Hack
12-26-2014, 06:06 PM
When it comes to RBs it doesn't matter. Tre Mason had one of the best years in SEZc history and was still just a 3rd round pick.

If he comes back and played behind a worse OL, he would have been lucky to go 3rd round. Robinson is at best a 4th-5th round pick, that doesn't change after a 1400 yard senior season. All that changes is Robinson taking the pounding and he risks injury for no pay.

yes. RBs need to get to the league as quickly as possible. they have a short shelf life. get in as soon as you can, grind it out, and save your damn money.

HoopsDawg
12-26-2014, 07:16 PM

nah, you missed my point. I'm saying there's a good chance he may not make it in the pros, I hate to see him throw a way a memorable, great year in his life.

engie
12-26-2014, 07:47 PM
yes. RBs need to get to the league as quickly as possible. they have a short shelf life. get in as soon as you can, grind it out, and save your damn money.

Which is why redshirting that position is dumb in my opinion. Particularly in the case of guys like Aeris, when if we are honest with ourselves, we were one-deep at RB for the vast majority of the season until Shump started to show up late.

It's criminal how little overall production we've got from JRob's overall talent level over his 4 years.... One great year, and riding the pine behind an inferior every down back for most of his career...

blacklistedbully
12-26-2014, 07:49 PM
nah, you missed my point. I'm saying there's a good chance he may not make it in the pros, I hate to see him throw a way a memorable, great year in his life.

I hadn't considered that. Good point. Had we not shit the bed at TSUN, we may well have been in the CFP with a chance to win a NC at MSU! Can we not be a serious contender for the SEC West next year, assuming Dak comes back? And if we can win the West, we almost assuredly would be in the CFP with a win in the SECCG. This is not far-fetched.

Also, isn't it true the RB's who don't make it long are the guys who actually get a lot of snaps, thus take a consistent beating? If you're more of a ST and back-up, aren't your chances of a longer NFL career greater? Couldn't he make $90k+ for several years, perhaps 4 times that for several years if he makes a roster as a backup or ST player?

And isn't it the beatings RB's take in the NFL that "shortens their careers", not their actual age? Yes, it's a risk in college, but I'm betting nothing like what guys are exposed to in the NFL. Might staying another year simply delay his "start date", not his total time in the NFL? How cool would it be, as a player, to be an integral part of the MSU team that sets college football on it's ear and earns you lifetime legendary status in your home state?

Might be worth consideration. Dak is going to be better, Bear is going to be better, as are other WR's. If the O-line comes together, we could be potent on offense.

engie
12-26-2014, 07:54 PM

We need to play up "being a legend at MSU" to the point we try to make it a motivating factor of guys' mindset while here. Post the damn recordbook all over the walls of the weight room, etc...

Guys will still be motivated by money and the big time. But ultimately most of their real "legends" will be born at MSU...

Coach34
12-26-2014, 07:55 PM
I hadn't considered that. Good point. Had we not shit the bed at TSUN, we may well have been in the CFP with a chance to win a NC at MSU! Can we not be a serious contender for the SEC West next year, assuming Dak comes back? And if we can win the West, we almost assuredly would be in the CFP with a win in the SECCG. This is not far-fetched.

Also, isn't it true the RB's who don't make it long are the guys who actually get a lot of snaps, thus take a consistent beating? If you're more of a ST and back-up, aren't your chances of a longer NFL career greater? Couldn't he make $90k+ for several years, perhaps 4 times that for several years if he makes a roster as a backup or ST player?

And isn't it the beatings RB's take in the NFL that "shortens their careers", not their actual age? Yes, it's a risk in college, but I'm betting nothing like what guys are exposed to in the NFL. Might staying another year simply delay his "start date", not his total time in the NFL? How cool would it be, as a player, to be an integral part of the MSU team that sets college football on it's ear and earns you lifetime legendary status in your home state?

Might be worth consideration. Dak is going to be better, Bear is going to be better, as are other WR's. If the O-line comes together, we could be potent on offense.

Or you could be Todd Gurley and pop your ACL...or the guy from SC that had his leg destroyed and killed any chance he had at a pro career

What is best for JRob is to go pro- what best for State and its fans is for JRob to stay....its pretty clear

HoopsDawg
12-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Or you could be Todd Gurley and pop your ACL...or the guy from SC that had his leg destroyed and killed any chance he had at a pro career

What is best for JRob is to go pro- what best for State and its fans is for JRob to stay....its pretty clear

We can't say for certain if that's true or not. I think B-Mac should go pro. I wish him well. If J-rob goes undrafted and then gets cut, he will always regret his decision.

Political Hack
12-26-2014, 08:29 PM
Which is why redshirting that position is dumb in my opinion. Particularly in the case of guys like Aeris, when if we are honest with ourselves, we were one-deep at RB for the vast majority of the season until Shump started to show up late.

It's criminal how little overall production we've got from JRob's overall talent level over his 4 years.... One great year, and riding the pine behind an inferior every down back for most of his career...

I tend to agree generally because RBs are usually athletic enough to help on multiple ST units too. Although if JRob comes back, I think we'd RS most, if not all, of this incoming class.

Coach34
12-26-2014, 08:32 PM
We can't say for certain if that's true or not. I think B-Mac should go pro. I wish him well. If J-rob goes undrafted and then gets cut, he will always regret his decision.

JRob can also go to Canada and play as a back-up plan. I dont see any way he doesnt make a roster- he is an outstanding RB. He has some things he needs to do better- but Perkins damn near made the Packers- and JRob is a much better runner than Perk. He will find a place in the NFL

Todd4State
12-26-2014, 08:44 PM

There is that risk for any player. But if there is one thing that Dan does with running backs that helps is he tends to rotate them pretty well. If Robinson comes back, he would split carries with Shumpert and they would both benefit.