PDA

View Full Version : Barry Odom of Memphis is now the DC

Dawgowar
12-23-2014, 08:42 PM
at Mizzou. Cheap option off the table.

KB21
12-23-2014, 09:09 PM
He is a Mizzou Alumnus. It was a foregone conclusion that he was going there if offered.

CadaverDawg
12-23-2014, 09:56 PM
Man that was a misleading thread title!

MabenMaroon
12-23-2014, 10:04 PM
Like to gave me a stroke, heart attack or something. Am looking for a hard-on when they do announce.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-23-2014, 10:15 PM
The O for DC train seem to be picking up steam.

ShotgunDawg
12-23-2014, 10:22 PM
The O for DC train seem to be picking up steam.

Correct, PJ said tonight that he's heard from multiple sources that O interviewed last night in New Orleans

Ifyouonlyknew
12-23-2014, 10:26 PM
Correct & I'm not sure that's the 1st time he's spoken with Mullen since the job became available.

msstate7
12-23-2014, 10:32 PM
Are we certain its for the DC job and not dl/recruiting cood (some title like this)?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-23-2014, 10:34 PM
Orgeron wouldn't even answer our call if it wasn't about the DC job.

ShotgunDawg
12-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Do it Mullen, DO... DO. IT.

It's risky, but it may be the risk that we need to take to win a NC.

It somewhat reminds me of Saban hiring Kiffin. Very risky, but, if it works, it's a homerun.

msstate7
12-23-2014, 10:40 PM
If we hire Ed o tomorrow as DC, how much say so does he get over his defensive staff?

Coach34
12-23-2014, 10:41 PM
I think it's Shannon or O at this point

yjnkdawg
12-23-2014, 10:44 PM
Man that was a misleading thread title!

It blew me out of the water too, CadaverDawg since there wasn't supposed to be anything announced till after our bowl game.

HoopsDawg
12-23-2014, 10:46 PM

I could sell myself on Shannon, but his experience at the U was a long while ago and he had NFL players all over the place. His recruiting connections are irrelevant at MSU. I'm O or bust at this moment and I love that he knows MS and LA. And he taught Freeze everything he knows.

yjnkdawg
12-23-2014, 10:46 PM

How do you think it would go Coach, if Turner goes to FL?

yjnkdawg
12-23-2014, 10:48 PM
I could sell myself on Shannon, but his experience at the U was a long while ago and he had NFL players all over the place. His recruiting connections are irrelevant at MSU. I'm O or bust at this moment and I love that he knows MS and LA. And he taught Freeze everything he knows.

I would be happy with an O.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-23-2014, 10:50 PM
Whoever it is I'm leaning O right now I see as the only addition to the staff. Outside chance of Deshea leaving but I'm leaning to him returning too.

yjnkdawg
12-23-2014, 10:59 PM
Whoever it is I'm leaning O right now I see as the only addition to the staff. Outside chance of Deshea leaving but I'm leaning to him returning too.

I like your lean, Ifyouonlyknew. So you don't think there is anything to the Turner rumor to FL?

ShotgunDawg
12-23-2014, 11:01 PM
I like your lean, Ifyouonlyknew. So you don't think there is anything to the Turner rumor to FL?

PJ said today that he spoke with Turner, and he told him to his face that he isn't leaving. Take that FWIW

yjnkdawg
12-23-2014, 11:10 PM
PJ said today that he spoke with Turner, and he told him to his face that he isn't leaving. Take that FWIW

Thanks ShotgunDawg and I know what your FWIW means. I would just like for O be on our coaching staff anyway, anyhow.

ShotgunDawg
12-23-2014, 11:33 PM
Here is what Rosey said about Orgeron tonight:

The name that simply won't go away is Ed Orgeron. I am told that he will interview for the position and that he is beyond interested in the job. I am also told that in the event he won the job, he would want to recruit in Mississippi to go head to head with Ole Miss as much as he possibly could. I am also told that during his time at Ole Miss he called most of the defensive plays and that he would handle the play calling should he take over the defense in Starkville.

He also said that Orgeron can coach LBs. FWIW, Orgeron coached LBs for one year at Nicholls state in 1994

I think it's a win/win situation. It gives MSU a chance to make a statement hire and get a recruiting boost, while allowing Orgeron the chance to coach close to home, get revenge against Ole Miss, and put something on his resume that makes him a legitimate candidate for a big time head coaching gig.

ShotgunDawg
12-23-2014, 11:41 PM
One more thing to add:

One more reason I think Orgeron could prove to be a great hire because he is a big name, respected coach, that is hungry, trying to move up, and has something to prove.

I genuinely believe that Orgeron was very pissed when he didn't get the USC job, and there is a fire in him to prove people wrong. We would be getting a highly motivated coach.

How often do you get to hire a guy like Orgeron that is trying to prove something and really isn't the typical retread. I think Orgeron has a bone pick and unfinished business with Ole Miss that he feels like he needs to take care of before he gets the big head coaching job he desires.

It could be a perfect match for a few years.

Dawgowar
12-24-2014, 12:45 AM
Guys, sorry about the title. Should have put some more thought on that. Saw the announcement and just flipped the words up on the board, went off to the mall to get my iPhone for Christmas. Truly not trying for that effect.

Todd4State
12-24-2014, 12:54 AM
One more thing to add:

One more reason I think Orgeron could prove to be a great hire because he is a big name, respected coach, that is hungry, trying to move up, and has something to prove.

I genuinely believe that Orgeron was very pissed when he didn't get the USC job, and there is a fire in him to prove people wrong. We would be getting a highly motivated coach.

How often do you get to hire a guy like Orgeron that is trying to prove something and really isn't the typical retread. I think Orgeron has a bone pick and unfinished business with Ole Miss that he feels like he needs to take care of before he gets the big head coaching job he desires.

It could be a perfect match for a few years.

I agree with you on this. But whether he is the DC or not, I'd like to see him coach D-line rather than LB's.

I have a feeling that it's going to be a Co-DC situation with Coach O and Randy Shannon if I had to guess.