PDA

View Full Version : Who to pitch Friday?

slickdawg
06-18-2013, 07:07 AM
Kendall would be the obvious choice, but if we use him, I don't know he can recover in time for the 3 games championship series.

If we have to face Indiana - Pollo is a fastball guy, they will hit him well.

If we have to face OSU - They've already seen Kendall.

Let Cox or Gentry start with a really short leash, then Ross ?

msstate7
06-18-2013, 07:16 AM
How about lindgren with a short leash? Not sure who I would go with.

I seen it dawg
06-18-2013, 07:41 AM
If you go Kendall Friday he will pitch again before this thing is over, he's available for championship series. If you skip him Friday you only get for really one more outing. The only other way he pitches is in some kind of short relief role. I think you have to pitch him Friday and then he can start game 2 or 3.

Hump4Hoops
06-18-2013, 08:01 AM
I think you've gotta try Lindy with a short leash, go straight to Ross, then let Bracewell finish.

SaltyDawg
06-18-2013, 08:06 AM
I think you have to go Graveman, regardless of opponent.

TexasDawg
06-18-2013, 08:28 AM
I think you've gotta try Lindy with a short leash, go straight to Ross, then let Bracewell finish.

I think this is the way to go right here

J-Dawg
06-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Graveman and keep his pitches down unless he is just absolutely dealing. Then Ross/Bracewell/Holder.

MarcoRubio
06-18-2013, 08:33 AM

not spitting in the face of someones religion? A bit insensitive, no? Are you just trying to be an ass?

SaltyDawg
06-18-2013, 08:41 AM
The season is 2 games long at this point. Graveman (our best option as a starter) needs to throw one of those games. If he throws the first game he has an opportunity to come back for championship series- assuming we make it.

LiterallyPolice
06-18-2013, 08:44 AM
not spitting in the face of someones religion? A bit insensitive, no? Are you just trying to be an ass?

To be fair, I practice a religion that worships Marco Rubio. It is a sin to take his name in vain. It is also a sin to display his Most Holy image in public. You are breaking both the 4th and 11th commandments handed down by his Most Holy Padre Rubio.

Please change your username and avatar as well. Or, just grow a pair. It's the internet.

Hump4Hoops
06-18-2013, 08:45 AM

I'm sorry science offends you. troll. This is not the correct board for that.

SignalToNoise
06-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Good grief.

Spider-Man
06-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Bench Mobb.

Goat Holder
06-18-2013, 09:20 AM
He's trying to be an ass.

Will James
06-18-2013, 09:21 AM
I'd be down to see Lindgren get a shot.

Goat Holder
06-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Graveman all day. Not even a choice.

Bo Darville
06-18-2013, 09:33 AM
I'd be down to see Lindgren get a shot.

I might be also. A lot would depend on how he has thrown in bullpen sessions the last week or two. The one problem is if you are going to use Graveman, I would rather use him Friday rather than Saturday. I do not want to lose Friday without Graveman, then burn Graveman on Saturday.

SheltonChoked
06-18-2013, 09:54 AM
I think you have to look at the rest of the bracket as well as the opponent. We will play Friday. Then maybe Saturday , Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. That's maybe 5 games in 6 days. I thnk we have to be ready to throw everyone.

I'd like to see us pitch everyone and have a short leash and a pitch count (40-50).

Friday - Graveman (vs IU) or Bracewell (vs OSU) / Ross / Holder
Saturday - Fitts (or Graveman or Bracewell) /Girodo / Holder

Monday - Pollo or Fitts or Bracewell or Lindgen / Ross / Holder
Tuesday - ???
Wednesday - Johnny Wholestaff

mparkerfd20
06-18-2013, 09:55 AM
He's trying to be an ass.

More like he's just affirming that he is an ass. He doesn't have to try. **

Will James
06-18-2013, 09:58 AM
In my opinion we will need more from the SP in a CWS best of 3 played on consecutive days. Lindgren, when on, is easily our most effective starter. He gives up less fly balls than Kendall. Starting Kendall On Friday makes me doubt his effectiveness going on Mon OR Tues. that would only be 2 and 3 days rest. We have to start looking at what will give us the best chance to win it all.

Therefore I feel that Graveman has to throw Game 1 Monday, hopefully against a non-ace. Advantage State. Then we come back with Fitts/Pollo for game 2 vs their ace and pray, and Game 3 again with our best guy if he's on Lindgren who will be well rested against a non-ace and hopefully depleted pen.

So I say Lindgren Friday. Graveman Monday. Fitts/Pollo Tues. Lindgren Wed.

SaltyDawg
06-18-2013, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=Will James;22415]In my opinion we will need more from the SP in a CWS best of 3 played on consecutive days. Lindgren, when on, is easily our most effective starter. He gives up less fly balls than Kendall. Starting Kendall On Friday makes me doubt his effectiveness going on Mon OR Tues. that would only be 2 and 3 days rest. We have to start looking at what will give us the best chance to win it all. QUOTE]

Couldn't agree less. You have to GET to the championship series before you try to win it all. Do whatever it takes to get there and then make your adjustments.

Bo Darville
06-18-2013, 10:03 AM
In my opinion we will need more from the SP in a CWS best of 3 played on consecutive days. Lindgren, when on, is easily our most effective starter. He gives up less fly balls than Kendall. Starting Kendall On Friday makes me doubt his effectiveness going on Mon OR Tues. that would only be 2 and 3 days rest. We have to start looking at what will give us the best chance to win it all.

Therefore I feel that Graveman has to throw Game 1 Monday, hopefully against a non-ace. Advantage State. Then we come back with Fitts/Pollo for game 2 vs their ace and pray, and Game 3 again with our best guy if he's on Lindgren who will be well rested against a non-ace and hopefully depleted pen.

So I say Lindgren Friday. Graveman Monday. Fitts/Pollo Tues. Lindgren Wed.

I can live with that. Here is my question. Assuming we went with the above but lost on Friday. Who would you then pitch on Saturday?

SaltyDawg
06-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Couldn't agree less. You have to GET to the championship series before you try to win it all. Do whatever it takes to get there and then make your adjustments

Ronny
06-18-2013, 10:04 AM

http://celebritytoob.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/marcorubiowater.gif

(IMG tags added by FlabLoser)

SheltonChoked
06-18-2013, 10:16 AM
I agree. Kind of. I thnk you have to play your best chance to win Friday as it gives you such an advantage for the Champ series.

However, without knowing who we are playing it is much harder. The best case for us would be to take care of business on Friday and have a forced extra game from the other side of the bracket. In any case, our greatest advantage is no one knows who is coming out of the pen until they walk through the gate. I'm sure that makes the other teams crazy. I hope for Friday we put Evan Mitchell, Myles Gentry, Will Cox and Shelly in the pen to warm up for a while.

hometowndawg
06-18-2013, 10:17 AM
You cant make it to the finals if you don't win one on Friday. I guess we probably start Graveman the second game on Friday if we even have to play it. Hopefully staff will get it done in the first game

Bo Darville
06-18-2013, 10:27 AM
You cant make it to the finals if you don't win one on Friday. I guess we probably start Graveman the second game on Friday if we even have to play it.

First game on Friday. Second game (if necessary) would be Saturday.

Goat Holder
06-18-2013, 10:57 AM
You of all people. You will ridicule Ole Miss relentlessly for being racist, yet you want people to relax when a religion is insulted? Hypocrite.

I seen it dawg
06-18-2013, 11:19 AM
This shouldn't be a discussion. Graveman goes Friday. He's rested and we have to win Friday to have the best chance to win the whole thing. Then he is available for short innings on Tuesday if we are in an elimination scenario or can go in game 3 as the starter in a winner take all. Also it doesn't make a flying shit who we play. If the pitcher executes it doesn't matter the team he faces. Play against the game not against a team.

Hump4Hoops
06-18-2013, 11:35 AM
You of all people. You will ridicule Ole Miss relentlessly for being racist, yet you want people to relax when a religion is insulted? Hypocrite.

Aint nobody insulting a religion. Untwist those panties.

Sandman14
06-18-2013, 11:45 AM
If Graveman is ready, you have to throw him. We are severely limited with starting pitching. Therefore, we want to use the only reliable starter that we have as much as possible. Allow Graveman, the senior, to put us on his shoulders. Quick hook in favor of Ross Mitchell and Bracewell, though. Keep the pitch count down so he will be ready to go again in the championship.

Goat Holder
06-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Untwist those panties.

Nice shaming attempt. But I'm not letting it go. And you're right, Christianity isn't just a "religion".

Sandman14
06-18-2013, 01:20 PM
would ya'll please quit talking about religion? isn't there like a religion board some where for you to go with that? religion and politics. why bring either up on an MSU sports board when the dawgs are in Omaha and one game away from the national title game.

archdog
06-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Graveman all day. Not even a choice.

Graveman already has been seen by Or St. I say if they win, throw someone else and let Girado come in a pitch middle relief.

No use giving them something they have seen. I would be a fan of Fritz. That guy only had one hitter tag him yesterday.

CadaverDawg
06-18-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm definitely on board with Lindgren on Friday. If he is on, he can give us a really solid start. Plus, if we were to lose Friday, I would feel a lot better about our chances of winning the rematch if Graveman was going.

We just have to make it to the Championship and burn that bridge when we get there. You can't start planning ahead or you will never get there.

I seen it dawg
06-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Planning ahead is what you are doing if you don't start Graveman. It's not a regional and Jackson State waiting on us if we happen to lose. We have to win this game.

CadaverDawg
06-18-2013, 03:01 PM
Planning ahead is what you are doing if you don't start Graveman. It's not a regional and Jackson State waiting on us if we happen to lose. We have to win this game.

True, but Graveman could start game 2 against the team if we lose Friday. I'm not against Graveman on Friday, but if you think he gives you our best chance to win, what will it hurt to wait a day and hope we can get by without using him?

In other words, if we were in an elimination game Friday, you DEFINITELY start Graveman, but we aren't. Plus, Lindgren is more than capable of beating Indiana or Oregon St if he's on. And what if Graveman pitches Friday and loses? Would you rather have a Lindgren or Fitts starting the elimination game?! Or the one with less pressure? I would want Graveman in the most pressure packed game.

SaltyDawg
06-18-2013, 03:07 PM
True, but Graveman could start game 2 against the team if we lose Friday. I'm not against Graveman on Friday, but if you think he gives you our best chance to win, what will it hurt to wait a day and hope we can get by without using him?

In other words, if we were in an elimination game Friday, you DEFINITELY start Graveman, but we aren't. Plus, Lindgren is more than capable of beating Indiana or Oregon St if he's on. And what if Graveman pitches Friday and loses? Would you rather have a Lindgren or Fitts starting the elimination game?! Or the one with less pressure? I would want Graveman in the most pressure packed game.

Graveman should start Friday- if he's 100% (and I don't see why he wouldn't be). If you start Graveman in Game 2 and win to make it to the final series he wouldn't be available unitl Game 3 of the final series- which isn't guaranteed. I don't want to plan ahead, but this way you kill two birds with one stone.

I like Bracewell starting over Lindgren anyway if you do change it up.

I seen it dawg
06-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Lindgren hasnt pitched in a long while and not under any pressure like Fitts, Graveman, Ross, Giro, Holder have faced. You pitch Graveman, Ross Friday and if they get beat you go Fitts, Giro on Saturday. The same thing we have been doing the whole post-season. I just don't see the benefit in holding out KG and gambling (trusting) Lindgren, Pollo, Bracewell or anybody else to start a game as important as Fridays.

I think having Graveman Friday and available to carry a full load for a Game 3 (which makes 2 full games) outweighs saving him for a maybe Saturday game and if he has to pitch Saturday we only have him for a short stint in title series. Which will make every game we play after Friday a staff game. One of the main reasons our pitching model is working is because we have a guy that can give us 5-8 innings up front. That is especially true in a situation where we might have to play 5 games in 6 days to win a title. I'd rather have him with the opportunity to pitch 2 long outings than one and a short stint.

CadaverDawg
06-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Graveman should start Friday- if he's 100% (and I don't see why he wouldn't be). If you start Graveman in Game 2 and win to make it to the final series he wouldn't be available unitl Game 3 of the final series- which isn't guaranteed. I don't want to plan ahead, but this way you kill two birds with one stone.

I like Bracewell starting over Lindgren anyway if you do change it up.

I'm cool with that about Graveman. I'd just love to have him for game 1 of the Championship if at all possible...and with Friday not being an elimination game, it IS possible. But I'm ok with Grave going Friday for sure.

As for Lindgren vs Brace, I would be fine with either...BUT the best hitters on OSU and IU are their Lefties. With that being said, I feel like Lindgren could have some Girodo-esque success with his slider against them.

Goat Holder
06-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Graveman already has been seen by Or St.

So? I'm sure they've seen hours of film on him. You play your best players at this level. It's simple. That's why Holder came in again last night.

TexasDawg
06-18-2013, 03:17 PM
I would like to see Lindgren pitch just to throw somebody out there who hasn't been seen in Omaha yet, with that being said I have a feeling that Cohen is gonna pencil in Graveman for the start Friday and at this point I'm not second guessing anything that man does.

I seen it dawg
06-18-2013, 03:17 PM
I don't dispute the talent of Lindgren but at this point in the season I don't trust him. There is a reason we haven't seen him in a month. To me it would equate running Evan Mitchell out there in hopes he could catch lightning in a bottle. Yeah if he gets on he could throw a shutout but he also could give up 4 runs before we could get a reliever loose. Which opens the door for a team facing elimination, pulling the foot off their throat so to speak. You have to be able to trust who you run out to the mound with this much on the line. It's great to think about "what if" but you can't afford to gamble and be wrong.

SaltyDawg
06-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Like TexasDawg said, at the end of the day- whatever Cohen does is fine by me. The man has a knack for knowing his players and when to utilize them.

Goat Holder
06-18-2013, 03:22 PM
You are correct. It's lunacy to start anyone other than Graveman. Look back at all the last few CWS champions, their ace goes in the opening round, the bracket championship and then again in Game 2 of the championship series.

Again, this should not even be discussed.

I seen it dawg
06-18-2013, 03:22 PM
I absolutely agree with that salty.

Lefthandersrule
06-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Lindgren was giving us good innings all season then had two bad outings against Vandy. You all threw him out with the dirty water (coaches included) but two of his losses are Vandy and let's see who else on our staff has beaten them.. No one.
But let's sit here and keep a mid 90 LHP on the bench while you guys are happy with a starter giving us two or three innings. I love this team but roll out the same three every game and we are taking the chabce to get beat.

Coach34
06-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Lindgren is talented and will be our #2 SP next year-but it would be hard to throw him out there right now

I seen it dawg
06-18-2013, 10:03 PM
We take the chance to get beat every time we play. There has to be a reason Lindgren isn't n the fold right now....they don't trust him for whatever reason. No doubt his talent and I would love if he were right but he hasn't been right for some time.

Kinda like all the hub bub about Porter getting screwed, Cohens an idiot, etc about Porter not getting to hit and then it comes out he has an eye issue for the last month. I'm laying my trust in the staff. And from what I see with what I feel is pretty good baseball experience I agree with the coaches. He ain't had it the last couple of months and can't be trusted.

msstate7
06-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Lindgren is talented and will be our #2 SP next year-but it would be hard to throw him out there right now

I wouldn't be opposed to lindgren getting an inning in relief if a good opportunity presented itself.

SaltyDawg
06-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Lindgren was giving us good innings all season then had two bad outings against Vandy. You all threw him out with the dirty water (coaches included) but two of his losses are Vandy and let's see who else on our staff has beaten them.. No one.
But let's sit here and keep a mid 90 LHP on the bench while you guys are happy with a starter giving us two or three innings. I love this team but roll out the same three every game and we are taking the chabce to get beat.

The captains on the team told Cohen he wasn't taking it serious enough. He was in the bullpen cracking jokes and horsing around after having the worst outing of the year against Vandy in the SEC Tourney.

Sandman14
06-19-2013, 09:17 AM
The captains on the team told Cohen he wasn't taking it serious enough. He was in the bullpen cracking jokes and horsing around after having the worst outing of the year against Vandy in the SEC Tourney.

how do you know this? that is a very serious allegation. if it is true, then I'm glad he's benched.

Lefthandersrule
06-19-2013, 10:29 AM

You really shouldn't be spreading rumors about things like this. If Lindgren's not taking it serious then what would you consider Ross is doing? Is that why Ross is not playing? Or any of the other players for that matter.

TexasDawg
06-19-2013, 11:39 AM
You really shouldn't be spreading rumors about things like this. If Lindgren's not taking it serious then what would you consider Ross is doing? Is that why Ross is not playing? Or any of the other players for that matter.

I would say that there is a huge difference between playing loose and cutting up and displaying a who gives a shit attitude.

I seen it dawg
06-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Some guys can't handle the looseness of what we are doing. Some players take it too far and have a don't give a shit or lazy attitude toward everything. It's a maturity issue.

The Croom Diaries
06-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Some guys can't handle the looseness of what we are doing. Some players take it too far and have a don't give a shit or lazy attitude toward everything. It's a maturity issue.

I agree with that. From the outside it's hard to judge, but if Cohen and/or the captains of the team don't feel like Lindgren has the fire and competitive spirit needed to take the hill in a big game then he shouldn't be in there. It's frustrating at times that we have Evan Mitchell, Lindgren and Woodruff on our roster and get zero out of them, then Renfroe doesn't exactly look like the 13th overall pick right now, but this is a team built on guys who grind and are winners - not just a bunch of talent. This team is a reflection of Cohen. We are going to put the guys out there who aren't going to fold and are going to give their all. That's what you want, and that's what we'll get. Whoever Cohen calls for on Friday night, I'm behind it.

CadaverDawg
06-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Interesting. Does anyone remember the countless times that I said Lindgren and Woodruff needed to spend a little less time with Evan Mitchell goofing off on the bench? I was worried that Evan was contagious and being a little too goofy.

There is a big difference in having a little fun in the dugout, and spending more time worried about free styling than you do your starting pitching role.

Sandman14
06-19-2013, 04:54 PM
I like the little bench mob or whatever...I mean I really don't like it, but I understand it's just kids and it's good for keeping the guys loose and whatnot...good mojo...but I have one serious question:

Is Evan Mitchell just a damn idiot?

SaltyDawg
06-19-2013, 05:01 PM
I heard that from a reliable source.

If you don't believe it that's fine. It makes perfect sense as to why he hasn't played since then. Draw your own conclusion if you wish- I have mine.

Sandman14
06-19-2013, 05:21 PM
more sense than, say, he got obliterated two straight starts?

anyhow you need not get defensive about it. I think the point is that the allegation really calls into question his character, rather than his athletic ability. so I hope you are right or else you are doing an MSU kid a huge disservice by spreading that. if it is true, then it is true, and I appreciate knowing what the hell happened.

Will James
06-19-2013, 05:34 PM
I heard that from a reliable source.

If you don't believe it that's fine. It makes perfect sense as to why he hasn't played since then. Draw your own conclusion if you wish- I have mine.

Or because he's only gone more than 3 IP once in his last five starts...

Also he hasn't pitched since then because we haven't needed him to pitch. He ended the year as a shaky 3rd SP option on a team dominated by the pen.

UCA 1- Graveman obviously
USA - Pollo obviously, he was our 2nd SP option
UCA 2- Bracewell starts... Does anyone think this was a bad option compared to how Lindgren was going at the end of the year? BB has been great all yr and just went 5 to close out the Bears
UCA 3- Graveman obviously

UVA 1- Graveman obviously
UVA 2- We have a nearly full pen, Fitts was the choice. Lindgren wouldn't have gone over Pollo anyways.

OSU- Graveman obviously
IU - Fitts. Again, Lindgren would not have gone ahead of Pollo

And now it appears that Pollo will start Friday, logically ahead of Lindgren again. Lindgren hasn't pitched because he ended the year shaky and the coaches didn't think it was worth the risk.. Not when each game means so much. I personally think he'd be successful against IU but if the coaches want Pollo that's fine too.

TexasDawg
06-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Or maybe it's possible that it could be a culmination of both? Or have we decided that isn't ****ing possible? Salty says Lindgren was cutting up and acting like he didn't care, take that and add a couple of bad outings and maybe Cohen decided that the kid wouldn't be ready until next season. Maybe there just isn't enough drama saying that it could be both.

Will James
06-19-2013, 06:46 PM
We have sledgehammers and sticks in the dugout. We have a Mexican that hops around the dugout in a sombrero in the most critical moments of games, along with green rally caps. We have a Bench Mob (if the team was so concerned about Lindgren why would he be a key member of the Mobb)I just don't see these guys telling Cohen that Lindgren was cutting up. They all cut up, it's our identity.

Over the season the two stats that factor into the "luck" (LOB% and BABIP) have KILLED Lindgren. Where the team BABIP and LOB% is at .290 and 67%, Lindgrens is .340 and 56%.

Lindgren's recent struggles aren't related to "not being focused on the game" or any bullshit like that. It's a lot to do with the D has let him down a lot, and his numbers since the first Vandy start are LOB % is an absurdly low 37% (a lot due to defense) and slump BABIP of absurdly high .474.

He will be fine, and if we use him in Omaha he will have success.

TexasDawg
06-19-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you, my main point is there is a difference between cutting up with fellow teammates to boost overall team morale and making snide remarks and giving off the appearance that a bad outcome doesn't bother you. I have been on record saying I want to see Lindgren, but if it is true that he comes off as a player who doesn't give a shit then he can continue to ride the pine pony.