PDA

View Full Version : Differences in QB Atmospheres in MSU and OM

TheRef
12-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Figured I would share this to let everyone discuss.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/12/23/miss-state-ole-miss-approach-quarterbacks-define-fan-bases-attitudes/

Todd4State
12-23-2014, 04:42 PM
I enjoyed the article. I will say that our QB data is a little bit skewed by Croom not being a good QB developer, but I understand why you picked 2006 to start. But I believe that if Dan had been here in 2006, it would have been overwhelmingly in our favor.

Personally, I believe and would much rather have a guy be in our program for five years and be developed the way we are doing it now. I believe that we should take at least one QB in every class and focus on developing that QB with the understanding that odds are a couple are going to transfer out, but that 2-3 are going to pan out and start for two years.

I'm OK with getting a JUCO QB in a situation where we may need one for depth purposes- like if we are down to two QB's or something like that. But in that case, give me someone like Tyson Lee that is going to be functional in an emergency type situation rather than a "win now" guy.

I just think it's hard enough for any JUCO at any position to come in and make an adjustment, but with a QB it's magnified because they have to know the entire offense, and they have to build a rapport with the skill guys and the o-line and I think that's pretty difficult to do over the course of one spring and one summer. You look at the QB's that have been successful at Ole Miss- Bo played for Freeze at Arkansas State so even though he was a transfer he already pretty much knew the offense. He just had to remember things and shake off a little dust- but he didn't have to totally learn everything. Snead had to sit out a year and plus Nutt was hired when he was first eligible so everyone else on the team had to learn the offense with Snead- so everyone was in the same place pretty much. And the same thing with Bo and Freeze- everyone else on the team was learning and in that case Bo actually probably had a leg up on everyone from being at Arkansas State.

The other guys pretty much were flops if I'm not mistaken. So, having a transfer QB probably works better if you have a brand new coach or a brand new OC and new system.

But if given a choice- give me a guy in the program for five years any and every day.

BrunswickDawg
12-23-2014, 04:53 PM
I still hate how Croom just destroyed Wes Carroll to the point he wouldn't even hang around to see what could happen under Dan. He might have still given way to Relf, but the kid showed he had talent with us and at FIU(??)

Todd4State
12-23-2014, 04:58 PM
I still hate how Croom just destroyed Wes Carroll to the point he wouldn't even hang around to see what could happen under Dan. He might have still given way to Relf, but the kid showed he had talent with us and at FIU(??)

I'm still surprised that Carroll didn't hang around for at least a year. I think he would have been the QB instead of Tyson or Relf.

War Machine Dawg
12-24-2014, 11:25 AM
I'm still surprised that Carroll didn't hang around for at least a year. I think he would have been the QB instead of Tyson or Relf.

That's even in question? Despite his lack of arm strength, Carroll would've been hell in Mullen's offense. He was mobile, tough, and generally made very good decisions with the football. You can work with that. Him leaving probably cost us 1-2 wins that season. He'd have been worth a victory over someone like Houston and we'd have been bowling in every year of Mullen's tenure. And personally, I'd have enjoyed watching Relf as the short yardage complement to Carroll.

Dawg496
12-24-2014, 11:29 AM

That's even in question? Despite his lack of arm strength, Carroll would've been hell in Mullen's offense. He was mobile, tough, and generally made very good decisions with the football. You can work with that. Him leaving probably cost us 1-2 wins that season. He'd have been worth a victory over someone like Houston and we'd have been bowling in every year of Mullen's tenure. And personally, I'd have enjoyed watching Relf as the short yardage complement to Carroll.

Think we'd've beaten at least LSU and Houston to go 7-5. Maybe even Georgia Tech.

justwin
12-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Biggest mistake of Coach ******* career was redshirt ing Tyler. We should've won 7 in year 1 with some combo of lee, russell, and Relf. Don't tell me that qbs aren't ready as juco transfers or true freshman. Bo Wallace & nick Marshall proved that.

But overall, Mullen has gotten more out of msu qbs in 6 years than ever. Fitz and staley need to be 2A & 2B next year