PDA

View Full Version : Bowl schedule

Maroonthirteen
12-23-2014, 10:38 AM
I understand why (whoever) spreads out the playing dates of the bowl games. But the orange and fiesta should be on NYD. The two playoff games should be Saturday, Jan 3. You keep the traditional bowls on NYD as they belong. You create a maximum amount of exposure for the playoffs games if played on Saturday. ESPN would have had another big Saturday morning of Gameday.... Etc.

As is, the orange and fiesta get lost in the shuffle. The playoff games are mixed in with many other games. Makes no sense to me.

engie
12-23-2014, 10:49 AM
I understand why (whoever) spreads out the playing dates of the bowl games. But the orange and fiesta should be on NYD. The two playoff games should be Saturday, Jan 3. You keep the traditional bowls on NYD as they belong. You create a maximum amount of exposure for the playoffs games if played on Saturday. ESPN would have had another big Saturday morning of Gameday.... Etc.

As is, the orange and fiesta get lost in the shuffle. The playoff games are mixed in with many other games. Makes no sense to me.

The Orange and Fiesta will be playoff games every third year. So, you want to remove the Rose and Sugar from New Years this year to put the other two games back? That doesn't make any sense either...

DawgInMemphis
12-23-2014, 10:50 AM

The two playoff games are two of the traditional bowls - Sugar and Rose (will be Fiesta and Orange next year). At least this is the way I understand it.

engie
12-23-2014, 10:57 AM
The two playoff games are two of the traditional bowls - Sugar and Rose (will be Fiesta and Orange next year). At least this is the way I understand it.

That's basically correct.
The playoff will be Orange and Cotton next year, then Fiesta and Peach in year 3...

I seen it dawg
12-23-2014, 11:16 AM
They won't put those games on Saturday bc of NFL playoffs. Won't ever happen.

LC Dawg
12-23-2014, 11:17 AM

The NFL has two playoff games on January 3. It wouldn't make sense for the college playoffs to go against them. I'm sure the networks covering the games wouldn't let it happen. Would ESPN have NFL Countdown or GameDay?

ETA - I seen it beat me to it by a minute (great minds and shit).

Maroonthirteen
12-23-2014, 11:27 AM
I became accustom to the Sugar, Rose, Orange and fiesta being played NYD or later during the BCS era. I think once or twice a NYD bowl was played on NYE but this will be only the 2nd time in history the orange or fiesta will be played before NYD.

But my point is more, you would provide more exposure for teams, viewing opportunity for fans and TV commercial time for ESPN if they scheduled the playoff games on the 3rd. Just stinks we have one lousy game Saturday but more than you can physically watch on NYE and NYD.

DudyDawg
12-23-2014, 11:34 AM
I became accustom to the Sugar, Rose, Orange and fiesta being played NYD or later during the BCS era. I think once or twice a NYD bowl was played on NYE but this will be only the 2nd time in history the orange or fiesta will be played before NYD.

But my point is more, you would provide more exposure for teams, viewing opportunity for fans and TV commercial time for ESPN if they scheduled the playoff games on the 3rd. Just stinks we have one lousy game Saturday but more than you can physically watch on NYE and NYD.

No you wouldn't bc you would be competing w NFL. Espn execs know more about how to expose games (and more importantly, commercials) than you or I.

TopDog58
12-23-2014, 11:43 AM
I like this setup much more than in year's past. Other than the SEC bowl debacle at noon on New Year's Day, most bowls have their own timeslot with NO competition. The traditional New Year's Day bowl ended with the BCS. This new set up is as close as it's ever going to get. But i'd much rather have New Year's Eve all to ourselves than have to share an 11:30AM New Year's Day slot with 2 other SEC teams.

Maroonthirteen
12-23-2014, 11:46 AM
Far more people would tune into ESPN if they showing college football rather than basketball Saturday. But obviously there is an extreme amount of politics involved. I could not care less about the NFL wildcard games.

DudyDawg
12-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Far more people would tune into ESPN if they showing college football rather than basketball Saturday. But obviously there is an extreme amount of politics involved. I could not care less about the NFL wildcard games.
It's not politics, it's business. The NFL would outdraw college. Take a step back. Why on earth would a company want their product competing with someone else's (a losing battle, mind you) when they could have the market all to themselves by having it on another day.

engie
12-23-2014, 11:57 AM

I disagree. How does postponing games give them additional viewing exposure? EVERYBODY watches college football on NYE and New Years Day. It's a tradition that literally predates television that basically signifies the end of the season outside of the Monday national title game. ALL of the playoff and all but one of the NY6 games have exclusive time slots where they are the only football game on TV.

You really think putting them up against the NFL is going to increase exposure?

Maroonthirteen
12-23-2014, 01:52 PM
Admittedly, I didn't realize there were NFL games that Saturday when I made the original post.

I'm sure, nationwide, a boring NFL wildcard game would out draw a NCAA Nc playoff game for some inexplicable reason.