PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Defensive Coaching Trend

Dawgowar
12-22-2014, 07:06 PM
A&M shows interest, DC Gets raise or better offer

Muschamp - A&M interested - Now at Auburn for more cash
Foster, VT, - A&M interested - new contract extension
Chavis, LSU - A&M made a query, - Chavis has extension

Interesting quote by Jim McElwain when coupled with Coaches point the other night about multiple interviews having taken place. Are we about to see multiple changes to our defensive staff?

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Jim-McElwain-describes-his-No-1-goal-updates-staff-status

From the link:

?We?re in the process of putting it together,? McElwain said. ?We?ve got guys that are currently in major bowl games that will probably jump on board, and then some guys that maybe have an NFL game or maybe even some playoff games left. We?re being patient.

I know nothing either way but could Collins take Turner and Townsend? Just asking.

Coach34
12-22-2014, 07:16 PM
I think Turner is heading to Fla personally- not sure about DT

DownwardDawg
12-22-2014, 07:24 PM
One can only hope!!!

Dawgowar
12-22-2014, 07:24 PM

Turner didn't stay the first time. Figured he saw this stop as another opportunity. His resume shows he jumps around a lot. (understand that goes with the profession)
Hope Dan responds strong. Hit HR's with every new hire.

yjnkdawg
12-22-2014, 07:31 PM

If Turner does head to FL, I hope we can get Shannon and O.

DanDority
12-22-2014, 07:43 PM

That's what I was thinking

Dawgcentral
12-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Folks are looking to climb the economic ladder. Plenty of good position coaches and coordinators out there looking to do the same. Hate the turnover but it's the battle we all face.

Todd4State
12-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Turner didn't stay the first time. Figured he saw this stop as another opportunity. His resume shows he jumps around a lot. (understand that goes with the profession)

Turner came back because Kentucky hired a new staff.

I agree with Coach that Turner will probably leave with Collins. But I'm not sure about Deshea since he is from Mississippi. I think that if he leaves he is going to the NFL.

Todd4State
12-22-2014, 08:01 PM

If Dan hires Coach O and Randy Shannon, I'd say that would be a tape measure shot grand slam.

msstate7
12-22-2014, 08:03 PM
If Dan hires Coach O and Randy Shannon, I'd say that would be a tape measure shot grand slam.

Will we pay the type of money that hire would require?

maroonmania
12-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Turner came back because Kentucky hired a new staff.

I agree with Coach that Turner will probably leave with Collins. But I'm not sure about Deshea since he is from Mississippi. I think that if he leaves he is going to the NFL.

Why would Turner be somehow tied to the hip of Collins? As far as I know they had zero connection until Turner came back to MSU to replace Wilson.

Todd4State
12-22-2014, 08:09 PM
Will we pay the type of money that hire would require?

Ummm....yeah. We're probably looking at 2-2.5 million for the two of them. Remember Dan hasn't signed his extension yet.

Todd4State
12-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Why would Turner be somehow tied to the hip of Collins? As far as I know they had zero connection until Turner came back to MSU to replace Wilson.

Maybe he knows that Dan wants to hire Coach O? I don't know that for a fact, but there have been rumors.

SDDawg
12-22-2014, 08:13 PM
Ummm....yeah. We're probably looking at 2-2.5 million for the two of them. Remember Dan hasn't signed his extension yet.

Dan will hold off and sign once these coaching shuffles are all dealt with and everyone is paid appropriately. He'll also end up getting a good check. Dan (and Stricklin) are smarter than most people on this board give them credit for.

Coach34
12-22-2014, 08:16 PM

Turner can make 285-300K at State- Fla will pay him 400K+ (Florida's DL coach in 2014 made 390K...Turner made 300K this year)

Todd4State
12-22-2014, 08:46 PM
Dan will hold off and sign once these coaching shuffles are all dealt with and everyone is paid appropriately. He'll also end up getting a good check. Dan (and Stricklin) are smarter than most people on this board give them credit for.

And one part of the shuffle has ended as Colorado State is hiring Mike Bobo from Georgia to be their head coach, which means that Billy Gonzales is staying. That's a good break for us.

mic
12-22-2014, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=Todd4State;309715]And one part of the shuffle has ended as Colorado State is hiring Mike Bobo from Georgia to be their head coach, which means that Billy Gonzales is staying. That's a good break for us.[/QUOTE

Yes.. Gonzo here is a huge plus.. Esp with all these young WR we have coming in

Harrydawg
12-22-2014, 09:20 PM

I had someone who should certainly know tell me last week - Dan and Admin (Keenum and Strickland) have a clear understanding that they (Mullen family) are extremely happy in Vegas (at MSU). They are committed and will not leave at this time or the near future - when the time is right, the extension and raises for the whole staff will happen and there is no reason to hastily sign a deal (like Freeze and crew just did).....Everything these guys do is well planned and executed - synergy or as Bush would say strategary......

Coach34
12-22-2014, 09:33 PM
I had someone who should certainly know tell me last week - Dan and Admin (Keenum and Strickland) have a clear understanding that they (Mullen family) are extremely happy in Vegas (at MSU). They are committed and will not leave at this time or the near future - when the time is right, the extension and raises for the whole staff will happen and there is no reason to hastily sign a deal (like Freeze and crew just did).....Everything these guys do is well planned and executed - synergy or as Bush would say strategary......

This is correct

Dawgfan77
12-22-2014, 09:36 PM
Turner can make 285-300K at State- Fla will pay him 400K+ (Florida's DL coach in 2014 made 390K...Turner made 300K this year)
Not to mention turner is an average recruiter and an above average coach in other words if UF wants to over pay good for them

missouridawg
12-22-2014, 09:41 PM
I

It's strategEry, dubmass.

Harrydawg
12-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Damn, thanks - I have a hard time with fancy words like that

SDDawg
12-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Good thread here, and glad to see that we have the opportunity to make some high quality upgrades in this off-season. I like that Gonzalez is going to stay and I'll be happy to see some upgrades on the defensive staff. Could be a really big off-season for us, can't wait to see how it unfolds.

Todd4State
12-22-2014, 11:12 PM
Good thread here, and glad to see that we have the opportunity to make some high quality upgrades in this off-season. I like that Gonzalez is going to stay and I'll be happy to see some upgrades on the defensive staff. Could be a really big off-season for us, can't wait to see how it unfolds.

Hopefully what will happen is we win the Orange Bowl. That will swing some momentum back in our favor.

Once that happens, then hopefully Dan will knock it out of the park with the DC hire. And to be honest, if it is someone like Shannon who is still technically coaching his team in a bowl, I'd rather hold off until he gets done with his former team first. I just think it's classier to do it that way.

Dawg61
12-23-2014, 01:25 AM

Please let this happen

Coach34
12-23-2014, 07:52 AM
I cant see us spending the money to get both not do I see them wanting to be co-DC's...but it would be nice if we did it. If you want good coaches and recruiters u got to pay

Coach34
12-23-2014, 07:59 AM
I cant see us spending the money to get both not do I see them wanting to be co-DC's...but it would be nice if we did it. If you want good coaches and recruiters u got to pay

rbdog82
12-23-2014, 09:48 AM
I expect the number we will offer the next DC to be somewhere in the $700k range, but like someone said, who gets what can change between now and then depending on if we have further coaching turnover.