PDA

View Full Version : Since when did Memphis become a decent football team?

Bothrops
12-22-2014, 03:39 PM
The only game I saw them play this year was OM and they fell flat on their face and looked like typical Memphis. Now they're playing BYU in a Miami bowl and finished 9-3 in the regular season. How did this happen?

EAVdog
12-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Justin Fuente happened.

Bothrops
12-22-2014, 04:02 PM
The coach?

HailState39110
12-22-2014, 04:15 PM
If I were Southern MissI would follow Memphis' plan to get back to respectability.Memphis was on life support as a program five years ago. They went to the American conference and you can tell they sunk a bunch of money into the program.

Dawgheadcheese
12-22-2014, 04:18 PM
If I were Southern MissI would follow Memphis' plan to get back to respectability.Memphis was on life support as a program five years ago. They went to the American conference and you can tell they sunk a bunch of money into the program.

Problem is that USM won't be able to recruit on the same level with Memphis. Geography doesn't work out for them.

Dawgfan77
12-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Problem is that USM won't be able to recruit on the same level with Memphis. Geography doesn't work out for them.
Nor sink a bunch of money in there program

jumbo
12-22-2014, 04:38 PM
When they hired Fuente. They just signed him to an extension, but he's probably going to be hard to hang on to

Irondawg
12-22-2014, 04:53 PM
their DC should also be on our list. He's been really good

jumbo
12-22-2014, 04:54 PM
their DC should also be on our list. He's been really good

Most likely going to Mizzou. That's his alma mater

engie
12-22-2014, 05:14 PM
To Mizzou...

Likely will be announced prettymuch right after this bowl game..

maroonmania
12-22-2014, 05:17 PM
I don't know but apparently William Wallace plays TE for Memphis.

1bigdawg
12-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Southern Miss cannot get into the American Conferenc e or they would have already done it. Plus they have no maney to sink into the program. 0 for 2.

HenryGondorff
12-22-2014, 05:30 PM
How did this happen?

They have a great airport**

jumbo
12-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Haha. RC Johnson was such an idiot.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
12-22-2014, 06:15 PM

Ha! If Southern Miss could leave the Conference of Unwanted Schools of America they would have done so long ago. Right now, CUSA provides life support to a fledging USM program. They are more likely to be Division II in the coming years than the American Conference.

Maroonthirteen
12-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Defensively, Memphis played OM much better than we did. It was a 7-3 to start the 4th quarter. OM had treadwell and Wallace healthy too.

Gosh I could cuss a streak. Our defense absolutely sucked in the EB. I wish Mullen could bring in Odam and let me have full control of the defense.

Todd4State
12-22-2014, 06:43 PM
Defensively, Memphis played OM much better than we did. It was a 7-3 to start the 4th quarter. OM had treadwell and Wallace healthy too.

Gosh I could cuss a streak. Our defense absolutely sucked in the EB. I wish Mullen could bring in Odam and let me have full control of the defense.

It's like there is an unwritten rule that we have to play zone the whole time in Oxford. Frustrating.

HoopsDawg
12-22-2014, 06:47 PM

I wasn't impressed with the Memphis D at all. They had guys in the secondary out of position all game. And everytime it was 3rd and long they rushed 3 and gave up a first down.

Coackjek
12-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Justin Fuente happened.

^this

thf24
12-22-2014, 08:27 PM
I remember laughing my ass off a few years ago when Memphis hired Fuente and a ton of their fans were pissed that they'd hired a "no name" (had just OC'd TCU in their Rose Bowl win). The guy can coach. I doubt he'll be there past next season.

raymond21
12-22-2014, 08:40 PM
they have a Fg kicker, which really helps

Todd4State
12-22-2014, 08:44 PM

I've said it before and I will say it again, their special teams coach James Shibest is at the top of my list of guys that we should hire as our ST coach.

thf24
12-22-2014, 08:45 PM

That's very true. He bailed them out with 50+ yard field goals multiple times this year, including tonight.

cheat2win
12-23-2014, 07:56 AM
It also helps having "the next Tom Brady."

scottycameron
12-23-2014, 08:07 AM
Sunk a bunch of money in the program???? LOL. I doubt they've spent a dime on that dumpster fire. They hire a really good no name coach on the cheap. Basically the same talent level as the einstein before Fuentes had. A good coach can turn things around immediately despite popular opinion. ESPECIALLY when you play a very easy schedule.

Bubb Rubb
12-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Sunk a bunch of money in the program???? LOL. I doubt they've spent a dime on that dumpster fire. They hire a really good no name coach on the cheap. Basically the same talent level as the einstein before Fuentes had. A good coach can turn things around immediately despite popular opinion. ESPECIALLY when you play a very easy schedule.

Man, you are about 0 for 6 on this post.

engie
12-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Man, you are about 0 for 6 on this post.

Yeah, that should definitely be in contention for some kind of record...

Maroonthirteen
12-23-2014, 01:41 PM
1 thing, at least, is right...... They are going to be really broke paying Fuente, paying off Pasner and luring another coach in there for bball. Vernon was talking yesterday how they probably didn't have the money to up assistants pay with Fuentes getting a raise.

Also, there schedule is not easy? C'mon!

scottycameron
12-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Yeah, that should definitely be in contention for some kind of record...

I'm getting some insight as to why this board is always so wrong on coaches. I don't need to get into examples do I?

engie
12-24-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm getting some insight as to why this board is always so wrong on coaches. I don't need to get into examples do I?

If you can bring the same quality failure as your previous post in this thread -- by all means...

scottycameron
12-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Thanks. I always consider the source. I'll post examples of y'alls brilliant coach evaluations a little later, it will be long. I'm busy now researching our new DC hire, Orgeron.

engie
12-24-2014, 11:03 AM
Thanks. I always consider the source. I'll post examples of y'alls brilliant coach evaluations a little later, it will be long. I'm busy now researching our new DC hire, Orgeron.

When you do all that researching, be sure to show examples of how your previous post was correct in any way. Especially the part about how elite coaches turn programs around immediately, yet Saban lost to Croom, so he's clearly not elite.