PDA

View Full Version : It's time to go ahead and fire Ray

Coach34
12-20-2014, 06:17 PM
make Williams the interim coach the rest of the season and begin the search for a replacement now. Give the replacement a Sr laden team and time to recruit for 2016-2017

Ray is done

msstate7
12-20-2014, 06:19 PM
There's no reason to keep him. We've lost Newman. He isn't turning it around

JohnnyQuid
12-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Agree. Not his fault shoulda never been hired.

Dawgfan77
12-20-2014, 06:39 PM
Agree. Not his fault shoulda never been hired.

I agree but the guy that hired him shunned some big dogs to make this hire. Will he make the move to fire ray?

quickstrike2
12-20-2014, 07:21 PM
I agree. It needs to happen tonight honestly. He will get his buyout (which is more than I'll ever make) and be home for Christmas, and we will have a few days to get an interim named. We really need to do it before then end of 2014, SEC is going to be painful and we would be doing him a favor not making him stand out there.

Bucky Dog
12-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Yep Scott should not let the damage go on any more. Admit the mistake, pay him off and start a structured, informed search for the BEST candidate available. If I'm not mistaken, the SEC TV money can be used on basketball coaches as well, correct??!!

Liverpooldawg
12-20-2014, 07:26 PM
make Williams the interim coach the rest of the season and begin the search for a replacement now. Give the replacement a Sr laden team and time to recruit for 2016-2017

Ray is done
You mean just getting rid of Stans wasn't the answer? I thought that was all we needed to do. For what it's worth I agree with you, this time.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-20-2014, 07:42 PM
Getting rid of Stans was needed. Hiring Ray was not.

JohnnyQuid
12-20-2014, 07:43 PM
You mean just getting rid of Stans wasn't the answer? I thought that was all we needed to do. For what it's worth I agree with you, this time.
We needed a coach to get us to the next level****** we're definately at a whole new level now,regardless of better or worse.

Liverpooldawg
12-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Getting rid of Stans was needed. Hiring Ray was not.

Hiring Ray was about the best we could do, under the circumstances. We did this to ourselves.

dawgoneyall
12-20-2014, 07:51 PM
You know...

A new AD might do a better job???

Coach34
12-20-2014, 07:52 PM
You mean just getting rid of Stans wasn't the answer?.

Getting rid of Stands was absolutely the answer. Hiring Rick Ray just wasnt the solution

quickstrike2
12-20-2014, 07:54 PM
You know...

I wouldn't go that far, Scott is not a bad AD, but he doesn't need to just go freeball a hire like he did on this one. An assistant might be all we can get, but lets do better than a mediocre Clemson assistant with no ties to the SEC or Mississippi.

smootness
12-20-2014, 09:59 PM
You know...

If you're suggesting firing Stricklin, you're dumb.

rabbitthedawg
12-20-2014, 10:04 PM
You guys got exactly what you wished for! I'll take wining 20 to 25 games a year as it once was!

Todd4State
12-20-2014, 11:10 PM
You guys got exactly what you wished for! I'll take wining 20 to 25 games a year as it once was!

It was only a matter of time before the bottom fell out. We were not headed in the right direction with Stansbury.

Liverpooldawg
12-20-2014, 11:51 PM
Getting rid of Stands was absolutely the answer. Hiring Rick Ray just wasnt the solution

But you said all we had to do was fire Stans, ANYONE would do better. Are you saying Ray hasn't done better than Stans did? Really, Ray hasn't done better than Stans?

Coackjek
12-20-2014, 11:55 PM
It was only a matter of time before the bottom fell out. We were not headed in the right direction with Stansbury.

You seem to often have the voice of reason, too bad most won't see it that way. I feel before the season is over we will have a record number of threads locked over this subject.

Coackjek
12-20-2014, 11:59 PM
I agree but the guy that hired him shunned some big dogs to make this hire. Will he make the move to fire ray?

Just curious, who were the "big dogs" that were shunned?

Coach34
12-21-2014, 12:03 AM
But you said all we had to do was fire Stans, ANYONE would do better. Are you saying Ray hasn't done better than Stans did? Really, Ray hasn't done better than Stans?

This was before Stands made our program a laughingstock and the most toxic, drug infested program in the nation...nobody claimed RR was the answer- nobody had him pegged as "the guy"...stop with the bullshit

Coach34
12-21-2014, 12:04 AM
Just curious, who were the "big dogs" that were shunned?

the furniture makers for one...along with another that has their name on something basketball-related

SPMT
12-21-2014, 12:23 AM
This was before Stands made our program a laughingstock and the most toxic, drug infested program in the nation...nobody claimed RR was the answer- nobody had him pegged as "the guy"...stop with the bullshit

Drug infested.........who gives a ****. What college basketball team isn't full of pot smokers. Who cares. Has nothing to do with play.

It was still time for Stans to go in many ways, however, we didn't know how good we had it. We were a little naive like NE football, except worse, they actually had lots of past success. We aren't UK and we aren't Florida but we were better than most everyone else usually.

With Stans we would've again been in the top of our league at least. It will take a miracle to get back to that level, much less exceed it.

Dawg61
12-21-2014, 03:08 AM
I
Drug infested.........who gives a ****. What college basketball team isn't full of pot smokers. Who cares. Has nothing to do with play.

It was still time for Stans to go in many ways, however, we didn't know how good we had it. We were a little naive like NE football, except worse, they actually had lots of past success. We aren't UK and we aren't Florida but we were better than most everyone else usually.

With Stans we would've again been in the top of our league at least. It will take a miracle to get back to that level, much less exceed it.

Who cares. That shit is in the past. The program had to be broken completely down before we could start building it back up correctly. That's been done. The foundation has been layed. Now it's time to go hire a $2 mill HC to build it up correctly. They'll have a senior team to start out with instead of the mess Ray started with. The job is much more attractive at $2 mill a year. We can get a great coach for that.

KB21
12-21-2014, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't go that far, Scott is not a bad AD, but he doesn't need to just go freeball a hire like he did on this one. An assistant might be all we can get, but lets do better than a mediocre Clemson assistant with no ties to the SEC or Mississippi.

Scott did not go freeball on this hire. Scott offered the job to both Steve Prohm and Bryce Drew. Steve Prohm turned down a second offer of $1.8 million because he knew he couldn't win soon at this job. Both Prohm and Drew knew that it was going to take a while to dig out of the hole.

He probably could have gotten Kenny Payne, but Kenny can't actually coach. Rick Ray was a far better assistant than Kenny Payne. Whoever took this job back then was only going to be a place holder anyway.

Our fans just do not realize how bad things were with this program during Rick Stansbury's last year.

I agree that we need to move on from Rick Ray. He simply can't get the players the team needs. The job is now more attractive than what it was in 2012.

Political Hack
12-21-2014, 08:34 AM
Scott did not go freeball on this hire. Scott offered the job to both Steve Prohm and Bryce Drew. Steve Prohm turned down a second offer of $1.8 million because he knew he couldn't win soon at this job. Both Prohm and Drew knew that it was going to take a while to dig out of the hole.

He probably could have gotten Kenny Payne, but Kenny can't actually coach. Rick Ray was a far better assistant than Kenny Payne. Whoever took this job back then was only going to be a place holder anyway.

Our fans just do not realize how bad things were with this program during Rick Stansbury's last year.

I agree that we need to move on from Rick Ray. He simply can't get the players the team needs. The job is now more attractive than what it was in 2012.

I can generally agree with this, but it makes it a HUGE question mark as to why we picked a quality assistant over someone who would load our roster up with talent. Now, we've got a bare cupboard for the next coach instead of a roster full of guys who can play and would be ready to win.

Strick had to be smart enough to know we were going nowhere the next few years, but if that's the case, why not fill the gap with someone who will load the program with talent for the next guy... not to mention bringing along the freaking Jordan level sponsorship from Nike for basketball.

I seen it dawg
12-21-2014, 10:36 AM

Good job MSU guy....oh wait you're one of those that would rather be behind a coach than pull for the SCHOOL. Go back to your hole asshole.

I seen it dawg
12-21-2014, 10:38 AM
I

Who cares. That shit is in the past. The program had to be broken completely down before we could start building it back up correctly. That's been done. The foundation has been layed. Now it's time to go hire a $2 mill HC to build it up correctly. They'll have a senior team to start out with instead of the mess Ray started with. The job is much more attractive at $2 mill a year. We can get a great coach for that.

Yes

I seen it dawg
12-21-2014, 10:38 AM

And yes

1bigdawg
12-21-2014, 10:54 AM
I can generally agree with this, but it makes it a HUGE question mark as to why we picked a quality assistant over someone who would load our roster up with talent. Now, we've got a bare cupboard for the next coach instead of a roster full of guys who can play and would be ready to win.

Strick had to be smart enough to know we were going nowhere the next few years, but if that's the case, why not fill the gap with someone who will load the program with talent for the next guy... not to mention bringing along the freaking Jordan level sponsorship from Nike for basketball.

Right! If you have a question about who to hire, hire the better recruiter. That way, if he fails, at least the successor has a load of talent.

Coach34
12-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Right! If you have a question about who to hire, hire the better recruiter. That way, if he fails, at least the successor has a load of talent.

The thinking was that we needed to get away from the way Stands recruited. It was felt that was what was making things so toxic. Kenny Payne and others didnt represent that line of thinking. Strick and others are learning you have no choice in today's college basketball. We'll see if they have learned their lesson at season's end

dawgs
12-21-2014, 12:28 PM

This. Payne may not be able to coach, but he'd spend 3 years putting talent on the roster, then when it's time to move on, we can hire an X's and O's coach to coach them up. Now we are about to be a senior heavy team with guys that appear to be regressing.

RossDawg82
12-21-2014, 01:32 PM

I don't understand the "he was never the guy" statement. As a CEO (Strickland), why would you pay $1 mil a year, some which is tax payer dollars for someone who you don't think is "the guy". If you need to clean up a program then you bring in someone who can do that and win games. The argument that he was brought in to clean it up and not win and get us to the next level is stupid and ignorant. He was brought here to win and he is not getting it done and it does not look like he is. Strickland made a bad hire and it's time to try again because we have wasted 3 years of this program.

DownwardDawg
12-21-2014, 01:43 PM

I just don't see how it's a more attractive job now than before? We are the suck. People laugh at our program now. We may really struggle to make a hire now. Hell, Kenny Payne may turn us down now.

Acid mouth
12-21-2014, 01:57 PM
I just don't see how it's a more attractive job now than before? We are the suck. People laugh at our program now. We may really struggle to make a hire now. Hell, Kenny Payne may turn us down now.

As attractive... meh, but certainly not more attractive

msstate7
12-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Before we fired our all time winning coach after making the nit. I'm sure prospective coaches were scared that we thought too highly of ourselves.

Now we'd offer a guy a lifetime contract for an nit appearance*

Ray has brought the expectation level way down

DownwardDawg
12-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Before we fired our all time winning coach after making the nit. I'm sure prospective coaches were scared that we thought too highly of ourselves.

Now we'd offer a guy a lifetime contract for an nit appearance*

Ray has brought the expectation level way down

Yeah, that makes sense. NIT would be real nice these days. Just making the NCAA Tourney would be like a BCS Bowl, or whatever they're called today.

KB21
12-21-2014, 09:41 PM

The NCAA is waiting for Kenny Payne to slip up right now. There is a reason he is not a candidate for any head coaching positions.

Kenny Payne would have probably landed MSU on probation. I think Scott also felt like the NCAA could be snooping around some of Stansbury's recruiting at the end, particularly his recruiting of Renardo Sydney.

Dawg61
12-21-2014, 09:49 PM

How many jobs will offer $2 mill a year this year? Less than five. That makes our job pretty damn attractive.

engie
12-21-2014, 10:23 PM
How many jobs will offer $2 mill a year this year? Less than five. That makes our job pretty damn attractive.

In fairness -- there's probably 20 or so. Many of the "elite" basketball jobs are private schools and don't report coaching salaries. If you scroll down on USAToday's database, you can tell it's only about 1/4 complete or less, leaving the data up for question to say the least...

That said -- there are alot of things that make the job more attractive now. And you are right -- the biggest of which is the huge influx of "new" cash we've experienced.

maroonmania
12-21-2014, 10:34 PM
The NCAA is waiting for Kenny Payne to slip up right now. There is a reason he is not a candidate for any head coaching positions.

Kenny Payne would have probably landed MSU on probation. I think Scott also felt like the NCAA could be snooping around some of Stansbury's recruiting at the end, particularly his recruiting of Renardo Sydney.

Good gracious would everyone give this up with the NCAA mess. Does anyone realize HOW FEW programs get any kind of probation these days in football OR basketball from the NCAA? About the only programs that actually even get their wrist slapped any more are those, like us, that turn themselves in and do the investigation FOR the NCAA. I have no idea what Kenny Payne would have done here but I doubt very much he would have gotten us on probation. And recruiting IS the primary thing in having a successful basketball program even moreso than football or baseball at least in the South. That's why I would have been fine giving Stans one more year to see if things wouldn't have gotten better on their own losing Sidney, Bost and a number of others. There are programs in other parts of the country that do OK with lower rated players but they are in regions where players have much higher basketball IQs and actually learn the fundamentals of the game. So they can play pretty well without a bunch of great athletes on the team. The players in the South get little coaching of basketball skills and the AAU system has made everything a total mess.

Coach34
12-21-2014, 10:38 PM

Where do ya'll get this?

Our job is way more attractive now because the mess has been cleaned up. I mean our ******* AD had make our HC tell Sidney he wasnt welcome in Sville anymore. Other coaches saw the stink on our program and all the problems it had. They knew all the talent was leaving. They knew the inmates had run the asylum.

Now they see a disciplined program that just needs a little talent.

Dawg61
12-21-2014, 10:40 PM
In fairness -- there's probably 20 or so. Many of the "elite" basketball jobs are private schools and don't report coaching salaries. If you scroll down on USAToday's database, you can tell it's only about 1/4 complete or less, leaving the data up for question to say the least...

That said -- there are alot of things that make the job more attractive now. And you are right -- the biggest of which is the huge influx of "new" cash we've experienced.

You misread me. How many will be hiring coaches this year?

RougeDawg
12-22-2014, 09:15 AM
Look, stans had us in a winning but bad PR spot. Strick wanted to clean house and then went half-ass on the coaching hire. Why wouldn't you spend a little more money a yr up front on a proven lower conference winner and build and clean at the same time. Instead we hire a teams 2nd best assistance, still pay high salary and as result have a program worse off than when he took over from an on court perspective. If we were going to roll the dice with an unproven 2nd tier assistant, why didn't we go after a JUCO or HS coach?** point being it was never a good hire with much potential to begin with because Scott wasn't willing tinfoil out th extra $ to bring in a quality coach. Strick should begin the chopping block as well there's no reason our program should be regressing. We have SEC money.m

How mush $ has this hire costs us in terms of donor and ticket support? Scott pissed off some pretty prominent wealthy people who May take a while to support BBall and may never again as long as Scott is AD.

maroonmania
12-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Look, stans had us in a winning but bad PR spot. Strick wanted to clean house and then went half-ass on the coaching hire. Why wouldn't you spend a little more money a yr up front on a proven lower conference winner and build and clean at the same time. Instead we hire a teams 2nd best assistance, still pay high salary and as result have a program worse off than when he took over from an on court perspective. If we were going to roll the dice with an unproven 2nd tier assistant, why didn't we go after a JUCO or HS coach?** point being it was never a good hire with much potential to begin with because Scott wasn't willing tinfoil out th extra $ to bring in a quality coach. Strick should begin the chopping block as well there's no reason our program should be regressing. We have SEC money.m

How mush $ has this hire costs us in terms of donor and ticket support? Scott pissed off some pretty prominent wealthy people who May take a while to support BBall and may never again as long as Scott is AD.

The absolute worst part of the hire was getting a guy with ZERO recruiting ties in the area. As Momma Pollard said "who the hell is Rick Ray?". You can't succeed in basketball if you can't recruit, I don't care what kind of coach you are. His recruiting is finally starting to elevate a little bit due to establishing some relationships but it may be too little too late. I mean he was handed Ware, Thomas and Sword when he got here by Stans and we are here in his 3rd year and he has added very, very little to that. We only got IJ Ready because of a connection with Ready's HS coach to one of our assistants and Ray has totally neglected getting anyone that could halfway hit a perimeter shot. Never thought I would say it but we desperately miss Colin Borchert. He could at least hit an outside shot from time to time and the defense had to respect that. Thomas was hitting them early but its no surprise that he has tailed off after his shooting struggles the past 2 seasons.

engie
12-22-2014, 10:48 AM
You misread me. How many will be hiring coaches this year?

Ah...

In that case -- probably 5 at the absolute max -- and more likely only 2 or 3. The question to me is "how many of the so-called elite lower-level coaches are going to be willing to move this year"... Because they aren't leaving their current gigs nearly at the same rate they once were...

After how we were turned down before, it seems like a pretty safe assumption that to hire a homerun, we are going to have to overpay...

Really, I am reading into the DC search to tell how a basketball search would go with "all of our new money". It should give us an idea if we're actually willing to pay what it takes to win big. Just because we'll have the $$ doesn't necessarily guarantee on the front end that Stricklin is going to be willing to spend it...

rbdog82
12-22-2014, 10:51 AM
The ironic part about all of this; Stricklin and Ray are literally neighbors.