PDA

View Full Version : Mullen's comment regarding defense

GreenheadDawg
12-20-2014, 10:11 AM
He mentions that we have run the same defense since he has been here and will continue to run that defense. So basically he is saying the we will run the bend don't break defense regardless of who has DC in front of their name. It's pretty obvious Collins jumped at the first opportunity to leave because he was sick of being told how to run his defense. I think Collins had every intention of running a psycho defense but was over-ridden in favor of the conservative defense. I doubt Pendergast or Shannon would be willing to come be a yes man.http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Article/Mullen-talks-Bulldogs-defense-Orange-Bowl-prep-34009998

Covercorner2
12-20-2014, 10:21 AM
I think you are reading too far into a coach's quotes here. I think when he says "system" he means program. I also think he is trying to downplay the loss of a coordinator heading into a major bowl game. #coachspeak

Dawgface
12-20-2014, 10:21 AM
I doubt that. I believe Collins left for money, opprotunity to go back to Fla and because adding UF to ones resume is not a bad thing if he has a desire to be a hc. Same as Diaz move to TX. It didn't work out for him, but that's another story.

DownwardDawg
12-20-2014, 10:25 AM
I think you are reading too far into a coach's quotes here. I think when he says "system" he means program. I also think he is trying to downplay the loss of a coordinator heading into a major bowl game. #coachspeak

I agree.

Dawgowar
12-20-2014, 11:10 AM
He mentions that we have run the same defense since he has been here and will continue to run that defense. So basically he is saying the we will run the bend don't break defense regardless of who has DC in front of their name. It's pretty obvious Collins jumped at the first opportunity to leave because he was sick of being told how to run his defense. I think Collins had every intention of running a psycho defense but was over-ridden in favor of the conservative defense. I doubt Pendergast or Shannon would be willing to come be a yes man.http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Article/Mullen-talks-Bulldogs-defense-Orange-Bowl-prep-34009998

Sorry, but reading all of that into this interview is about as insightful and mature as my 14 year old niece crying her eyes out because her boyfriend didn't order her a milkshake. "He thinks I'm fat!"

GreenheadDawg
12-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Sorry, but reading all of that into this interview is about as insightful and mature as my 14 year old niece crying her eyes out because her boyfriend didn't order her a milkshake. "He thinks I'm fat!"

It was just a discussion point. Some of ya'll are so ****ing sensitive. Oh and... **** you.. hows that for insightful and mature

DownwardDawg
12-20-2014, 11:21 AM
It was just a discussion point. Some of ya'll are so ****ing sensitive. Oh and... **** you.. hows that for insightful and mature

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Coach34
12-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Collins left for a big raise, Florida recruiting, and an easier path to an SEC title

mparkerfd20
12-20-2014, 11:23 AM
I for one think you're not far from the truth.

Sacrifice
12-20-2014, 11:29 AM
I believe Mullen is defiantly involved in the defensive game plans. Mullen has had 2 coordinators stay more than a year and both pass D went to shit in the 2nd year, maybe that's a coincidence but I don't think so. It'll be interesting to see how Collins D looks at Florida...

Dawgowar
12-20-2014, 11:40 AM

"It's pretty obvious Collins jumped at the first opportunity to leave because he was sick of being told how to run his defense. I think Collins had every intention of running a psycho defense but was over-ridden in favor of the conservative defense. I doubt Pendergast or Shannon would be willing to come be a yes man."

Okay, realize it may be a heavy flow morning for you. But that interview was classic Mullen and did not indicate any shred of him being a control freak. How do you call this three sentence rant anything but a poor pitiful us hissyfit? The only discussion is how you can possibly read into it the personal thoughts of Collins being angry or fed up? He left Bama after a short stint, the University in Florida he went to as a DC before us after one season, us after two - he is climbing hard and fast. More money, a perceived level of prestige, another notch on his resume. How that becomes Dan being so mean and conservative that poor Geoff bailed on us is ludicrous.

1bigdawg
12-20-2014, 11:50 AM

Someone says your point is not "mature" and this is how you respond. Were you trying to prove his point?

engie
12-20-2014, 12:00 PM
I believe Mullen is defiantly involved in the defensive game plans. Mullen has had 2 coordinators stay more than a year and both pass D went to shit in the 2nd year, maybe that's a coincidence but I don't think so. It'll be interesting to see how Collins D looks at Florida...

There might be something to it -- but one thing Mullen does extremely well in the offseason is introspect his most obvious flaws and take steps to try to correct them. Collins had spent one year as a DC prior to being here and Wilson had spent zero. They both required more "help" or are at least perceived as such than guys that have alot of elite DC experience...

Dawgowar
12-20-2014, 12:08 PM
There might be something to it -- but one thing Mullen does extremely well in the offseason is introspect his most obvious flaws and take steps to try to correct them. Collins had spent one year as a DC prior to being here and Wilson had spent zero. They both required more "help" or are at least perceived as such than guys that have alot of elite DC experience...

He also noted in the interview the importance of the new guy's personality being a fit. He clearly has a concept of how he wants his staff to function. Doubt anyone hiring into this environment has too many surprises tossed at them. Dan will find the right guy, so long as he is willing to live with the good or bad of that decision I have no worries.

gravedigger
12-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Collins left because before the season started he saw our impending season as a success and an opportunity to negotiate into a bigger, more highly visible job. Namely, a head coaching gig or a DC at a school with unlimited potential. UF is one of those schools due to what they can pay and what they can spend on attracting athletes. Make Florida great again and he is a shoe in for a head coaching gig soon. While we aren't chopped liver, there is the perception we will struggle to repeat this years success as opposed to the perception that Florida is a sleeping giant.

At the end of this season, when others were getting the big opportunities, he was being looked over due to the awful defensive passing stats and the egg bowl performance. He jumped at the first big school opportunity he got in an effort to hit it while the iron was still hot.

But Mullen is a self admitted ass when it comes to playing well with others. I don't doubt it might have played a part in Collins urgency to leave, but he was going to leave all along.

PendingTransaction
12-20-2014, 02:11 PM
I'll bet my right arm that we will not get a seasoned DC. The "right fit" is a young (or washed up old) coach who would also clean Bully's pen after practice for the opportunity to coach in the SEC and to make 300k.

I seen it dawg
12-20-2014, 02:43 PM

Haha love it.

Political Hack
12-20-2014, 02:52 PM
I'll bet my right arm that we will not get a seasoned DC. The "right fit" is a young (or washed up old) coach who would also clean Bully's pen after practice for the opportunity to coach in the SEC and to make 300k.

the quality of the guys interviewing would suggest otherwise, but given our assistant hiring on defense under CDM I can understand why one would assume this.

NCDawg
12-20-2014, 02:53 PM

Nothing like being optimistic about finding the best DC available. Hope you don't lose your right arm.