PDA

View Full Version : Randy Shannon would be a perfect hire for us.

Thick
12-19-2014, 10:05 PM
He is currently making $275k, great recruiter with tremendous contacts in FL. Pay him $800k per. to handle LBs. Has a very good pedigree/reputation for putting LBs into the NFL. Jackpot, boyah, moneyball, YAHTZEE!!!

preachermatt83
12-19-2014, 10:23 PM
why pay him 800k when you could get him for 500k

Ifyouonlyknew
12-19-2014, 10:26 PM
I agree but he got a raise before the season. He's making $400k a year.

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2014, 10:30 PM
Randy Shannon would be the perfect hire for us, unless Mullen doesn't agree.

Liverpooldawg
12-19-2014, 10:44 PM
To me the perfect hire for us is who Mullen wants. In Dan I trusted long as he is here.

CadaverDawg
12-19-2014, 10:46 PM
To me the perfect hire for us is who Mullen wants. In Dan I trusted long as he is here.

Ya don't say...*

TrapGame
12-19-2014, 10:53 PM
I really hope it's Shannon now. He'd be a good fit as far as I can tell. He had some really good defenses at Miami.

TUSK
12-19-2014, 10:57 PM
why pay him 800k when you could get him for 500k

I agree, hire him at 500 (if he'll take it); then give him a raise to .75 - 1.5 if he kicks ass....

GTHOM
12-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Shannon would be a home run hire to me

CadaverDawg
12-19-2014, 11:04 PM
Strong resume.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/2014/roster/53bf0601e4b0a4c99fcb291b

engie
12-19-2014, 11:20 PM
He's been my #1 choice practically since it came open....

He's significantly more proven than any of the other candidates. And the one recent year under Gary Patterson recently is just icing on the cake to me. Would love for him to bring in a variation of that defense, which is so much more flexible than almost anything we see. For those unfamiliar, Patterson's D is a base 4-2-5, with 3 separate "calls" which he has started making at the line of scrimmage on play cards just like the hurry up offenses do. He actually calls the DL separate from the back 7. Then, he splits the back 7 into 2 parts down the middle. This allows for extra confusion because one side can be in man, while the other is in zone, etc...

TUSK
12-19-2014, 11:22 PM
Strong resume.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/2014/roster/53bf0601e4b0a4c99fcb291b

RS is as strong as a garlic milkshake! Anytime you can get a former HC from a bigtime program as a coordinator, you take it....

LC Dawg
12-19-2014, 11:46 PM
What's everyone's take on Shannon being named associate head coach after one year of coaching linebackers? I think that's Bielema's way of saying we already have a DC but we really want you to stick around.
I think if we really want Shannon we'll get him but I don't think Arkansas will make easy for us. I'd say we'd probably have to go at least 750k.

engie
12-19-2014, 11:51 PM
What's everyone's take on Shannon being named associate head coach after one year of coaching linebackers? I think that's Bielema's way of saying we already have a DC but we really want you to stick around.
I think if we really want Shannon we'll get him but I don't think Arkansas will make easy for us. I'd say we'd probably have to go at least 750k.

I think it's about actually climbing the ladder again for him. Bielema lost his initial DC Chris Ash in a lateral move to Ohio St last year. Shannon was passed over. Hence the "promotion" in attempts to appease him. http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/79411/arkansas-hires-robb-smith-as-new-dc

GTHOM
12-19-2014, 11:57 PM

fine give him 750k, whatever it takes. him or pendergrast would be grand slam bottom of the 9th type hires

maroonmania
12-20-2014, 12:04 AM
fine give him 750k, whatever it takes. him or pendergrast would be grand slam bottom of the 9th type hires

I don't think 750-800K should be a problem for us. We were going to be probably be around 700K for Collins this coming year (assuming he got raised above the planned 625K) and really Shannon has a much stronger resume than Collins does. That's still only half of what Auburn just paid to get a failed HC and former DC to run their defense.

LC Dawg
12-20-2014, 12:14 AM
I think it's about actually climbing the ladder again for him. Bielema lost his initial DC Chris Ash in a lateral move to Ohio St last year. Shannon was passed over. Hence the "promotion" in attempts to appease him. http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/79411/arkansas-hires-robb-smith-as-new-dc

That makes me feel better. Shannon should have no problem leaving. That was kind of a slap in the face to him. I hope he's high on Mullen's list. I like him better than Pendergast because I think Shannon will recruit better.

TUSK
12-20-2014, 01:02 AM
but would he make a lateral move?

Todd4State
12-20-2014, 01:05 AM
but would he make a lateral move?

Why would Shannon go to Alabama after being with us for a year?

Todd4State
12-20-2014, 01:11 AM
He's been my #1 choice practically since it came open....

He's significantly more proven than any of the other candidates. And the one recent year under Gary Patterson recently is just icing on the cake to me. Would love for him to bring in a variation of that defense, which is so much more flexible than almost anything we see. For those unfamiliar, Patterson's D is a base 4-2-5, with 3 separate "calls" which he has started making at the line of scrimmage on play cards just like the hurry up offenses do. He actually calls the DL separate from the back 7. Then, he splits the back 7 into 2 parts down the middle. This allows for extra confusion because one side can be in man, while the other is in zone, etc...

I think that would fit our personnel pretty well. I wish we had McKinney coming back because it sounds like that's a little bit more complex than what we did under Geoff. Here's what I think we might see if we ran a 4-2-5:

DE- Ryan Brown
DT- Chris Jones
DT- Nelson Adams
DE- AJ Jefferson

LB- Beniquez Brown
MLB- Richie Brown

DOG- JT Gray
S- Jamal Peters
S- Brandon Bryant
CB- Redmond
CB- Calhoun

And honestly, Beniquez is as smart or smarter than Richie from a football standpoint. We might be better off with Beniquez in the MLB and Gerri Green as the OLB. Either way, I like that personnel group better than what we would likely have had under Collins next year. It just seems to be a little more athletic to me.

Todd4State
12-20-2014, 01:23 AM
One question about Arkansas's defense? Do they do the same type of play calling scheme that Shannon used at Miami?

I noticed that their defense did very well against hurry up offenses other than Auburn, but that was the first game of the year. They did allow 35 to A&M, but that was a game that their team choked away I think as much as anything because they were ahead late and were about to get the monkey off their back of not having a SEC win and just couldn't finish it off. They held A&M down to 14 for most of the game. By the end of the year they were shutting out people like Ole Miss and LSU and they only allowed 21 to Mizzou and 14 to Alabama.

deltadawg99
12-20-2014, 06:50 AM
I'd take him in a heartbeat. My biggest concern is, why didn't he get the DC job at Arkansas last year when Chris Ash left?

Durbin
Shannon
Pendergast
Orgeron

That's my final 4 in no particular order

msstate7
12-20-2014, 07:58 AM
I keep reading that Shannon is an elite recruiter, but he's only listed as lead recruiter on Derrick graham. Graham is arkansas' 2nd lowest rated prospect; he's only rated higher than a punter from California. I'm not saying Shannon isn't an elite recruiter, but I am wondering why he has that reputation when his results don't seem to match

Coach34
12-20-2014, 08:04 AM
I keep reading that Shannon is an elite recruiter, but he's only listed as lead recruiter on Derrick graham. Graham is arkansas' 2nd lowest rated prospect; he's only rated higher than a punter from California. I'm not saying Shannon isn't an elite recruiter, but I am wondering why he has that reputation when his results don't seem to match

because he recruited very well at Miami

KB21
12-20-2014, 09:18 AM
Randy Shannon was the defensive coordinator for that 2001 Miami team that was loaded. That team had four games where they gave up double digit points all season. His experience as far as scheme goes is the "Miami 4-3" where they play a slide front and have breathtaking speed at linebacker.

msstate7
12-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Randy Shannon was the defensive coordinator for that 2001 Miami team that was loaded. That team had four games where they gave up double digit points all season. His experience as far as scheme goes is the "Miami 4-3" where they play a slide front and have breathtaking speed at linebacker.

We need to get more speed in our back 7 on defense imo. Jt gray, Bryant, and peters will help

RiverCityDawg
12-20-2014, 09:34 AM
I think that would fit our personnel pretty well. I wish we had McKinney coming back because it sounds like that's a little bit more complex than what we did under Geoff. Here's what I think we might see if we ran a 4-2-5:

DE- Ryan Brown
DT- Chris Jones
DT- Nelson Adams
DE- AJ Jefferson

LB- Beniquez Brown
MLB- Richie Brown

DOG- JT Gray
S- Jamal Peters
S- Brandon Bryant
CB- Redmond
CB- Calhoun

And honestly, Beniquez is as smart or smarter than Richie from a football standpoint. We might be better off with Beniquez in the MLB and Gerri Green as the OLB. Either way, I like that personnel group better than what we would likely have had under Collins next year. It just seems to be a little more athletic to me.

The way Collins used the SAM LB his 4-3, we were already pretty much a 4-2-5 defense. Matt Wells was a LB by name, but his position was a hybrid LB/S where he stayed in the box most of the time, but also covered the slot receiver and TE (when we actually decided to cover the slot receiver or TE). I don't think the personnel groups would be that different at all, which is all the more reason Shannon might be a really good fit.

RTO Dawg
12-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Don't worry about the money.... Get the right coach

I seen it dawg
12-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Dear Mullen,

Please don't **** this up. Release Turner. Hire O and Shannon. Commence to having to tell big time recruits we don't have room. Win NC. Thanks and do not waiver from this message.

NCDawg
12-20-2014, 01:36 PM
Don't worry about the money.... Get the right coach

Which, if I had my druthers, it would be Orgeron and Clark, or Orgeron and Diaz. Shannon may be OK, but I've got my doubts. I recall he was considered when we hired Croom. He was hired at Miami and fired after 4 seasons. He was passed over for some reason by Bielema for the DC position at Arkansas. All in all, I'm not sure he would be a good match-jmo.

engie
12-20-2014, 02:01 PM
His 4 seasons at Miami were better than Al Golden's 4 seasons. He's been offered half the DC jobs in the SEC in the last 5 years...

TUSK
12-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Why would Shannon go to Alabama after being with us for a year?

nice! +1