PDA

View Full Version : Does he stay or does he go

starkvegasdawg
12-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Highlights:
Dak says he has received his draft grade but won't make any decisions until after the bowl game.

He and Mullen have discussed things.

Said now his comfort level is more important than potential round selection.

I hate to be negative but that sounds like he's leaning towards leaving.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/mississippistatesports/2014/12/18/msu-dak-prescott-draft-grade-will-wait-decide/20611235/

msstate7
12-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Wonder what his grade was

msstate7
12-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Hope he's not waiting just to not be another distraction for the orange bowl

TXDawg
12-19-2014, 12:37 PM
How (besides getting paid) would he be more comfortable in the NFL?

I think he stays.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Stays.

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Highlights:
Dak says he has received his draft grade but won't make any decisions until after the bowl game.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/mississippistatesports/2014/12/18/msu-dak-prescott-draft-grade-will-wait-decide/20611235/

WOW, this is pitiful!!!

Are you serious? What in the world could you derive from this that makes you believe he is leaving?

Sounds to me like they are saving "I'm coming back to win a championship" for the on field interview after we win the Orange Bowl.

Please lay it out for me what makes you believe he is leaving. First off, I can tell you he isn't a top 2 or 3 round QB right now, and the talks about "comfort". Going into the NFL as a 4th round pick isn't a "comfortable" situation. It seems obvious to me that he is staying.

http://media3.giphy.com/media/2Hi2QKmAROaxq/200.gif

HancockCountyDog
12-19-2014, 12:50 PM
WOW, this is pitiful!!!

Are you serious? What in the world could you derive from this that makes you believe he is leaving?

Sounds to me like they are saving "I'm coming back to win a championship" for the on field interview after we win the Orange Bowl.

Please lay it out for me what makes you believe he is leaving. First off, I can tell you he isn't a top 2 or 3 round QB right now, and the talks about "comfort". Going into the NFL as a 4th round pick isn't a "comfortable" situation. It seems obvious to me that he is staying.

CBS has him 2nd/3rd round. I don't think he goes, but if he has a monster bowl game (I think he will) I don't think it's a done deal either way.

As much as I want him back for selfish reasons, I also know that he is a really talented QB that may never be a top 10 pick.

engie
12-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Another day, another press conference to win

engie
12-19-2014, 12:52 PM
CBS has him 2nd/3rd round. I don't think he goes, but if he has a monster bowl game (I think he will) I don't think it's a done deal either way.

As much as I want him back for selfish reasons, I also know that he is a really talented QB that may never be a top 10 pick.

CBS had Russell as a 3rd/4th rounder at one point too.... and had us with 6 draftees last year at one point as well...

The fact is, Dak has improvement left to do -- and that's better/more likely accomplished in school...

starkvegasdawg
12-19-2014, 12:54 PM
WOW, this is pitiful!!!

http://media3.giphy.com/media/2Hi2QKmAROaxq/200.gif

I didn't say he was going. I said it sounded like he may be leaning that way. Here's why since you so politely asked.

He said he was not making decision until after the bowl game. - could mean he does not want a lot of publicity and media attention from his declaring now.

He and Mullen have discussed his grade and will do so more after the bowl game. - could mean Mullen is trying to convince him to stay.

He said being a high round pick is no longer important. Just that he felt comfortable with his decision. - sounding like he's lowering his threshold to declare.

Again, I never said he was gone. I just read the article and thought these points could be interpreted as I presented them and posted here for discussion. Not like I'm trying to push him out the door. Now go unwad your panties and take a blood pressure pill.

Todd4State
12-19-2014, 12:55 PM
I don't know what his draft grade will be, but if he comes back and has a good year next year he has a chance to be a sure fire first round pick. He also has to consider that guys like Winston, Mariota, and etc. are going to be coming out this year too.

Maroonthirteen
12-19-2014, 12:59 PM
He is staying. Given the way he finished the season, I can't imagine him going before the 3rd round.

missouridawg
12-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Can anyone explain the rule that allows Jameis to go pro this year? I always thought you had to be three years behind high school.

Is it because he enrolled in January?

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2014, 01:01 PM
I can tell you he isn't a 1st or 2nd rounder right now from an evaluation standpoint. If he comes back, and plays well, he has a chance to be move into the 1st or 2nd round.

Just FYI, here is Bill Parcell's criteria for drafting a college QB.

1) At least a three-year starter - Dak will accomplish next year
2) Started at least 30 games - He will be really really close to this after next year, if not reaching it
3) Won at least 20 games - He should reach this next year
4) At least a 2:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio - Should reach this
5) Completion percentage better than 60% - Should reach this
6) Is a senior - Will reach this
7) Is graduating - Has already reach.

In the NFL, there are many Parcell's disciples or people that think similarly. Due to this, even if Dak comes back and gets no better, he will elevate up the draft boards by simply meeting all this criteria.

He has everything to gain by coming back and little to lose.

HE'S COMING BACK

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Can anyone explain the rule that allows Jameis to go pro this year? I always thought you had to be three years behind high school.

Is it because he enrolled in January?

Jameis redshirted

missouridawg
12-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Jameis redshirted

Thanks. For some reason I thought he was the first ever true Freshman Heisman winner. I'm a moron, apparently.

HancockCountyDog
12-19-2014, 01:24 PM
He is staying. Given the way he finished the season, I can't imagine him going before the 3rd round.

He was great in EGg bowl, if his wrs had not dropped passes he would have completed like 80% of his passes. He was as accurate as he has been all season.

Tough Dawg
12-19-2014, 01:31 PM
My personal opinion and I may get torched for this, but I think he's also waiting to see what Mullen does. I do not think we are out of the woods with Mullen to Michigan talk. If Harbaugh declines their offer then I think we'll have a bullet to dodge. The MSU extension talk for Mullen is very quiet right now. You have to ask yourself the reasons that could be? Several possible reasons.

If Mullen goes then the probability of Dak leaving would be very high.

Maroonthirteen
12-19-2014, 01:35 PM
I admit. I could only stomach that gsme once. But I recall alot of holding the ball and taking sacks anytime OM blitzed. He seemingly did nothing to check at the line when they showed blitz. I assume he had the option to check into quick slants and etc.

But yeah, he threw well. When they allowed us time.

DawgInMemphis
12-19-2014, 01:44 PM
I don't know what his draft grade will be, but if he comes back and has a good year next year he has a chance to be a sure fire first round pick. He also has to consider that guys like Winston, Mariota, and etc. are going to be coming out this year too.

This year's QB class is not strong at all. After Winston and Mariota, you could make an argument that Dak is the next best prospect.

1bigdawg
12-19-2014, 01:47 PM
My personal opinion and I may get torched for this, but I think he's also waiting to see what Mullen does.

A) Mullen is not leaving to go to Michigan or anywhere else.

B) Dak is coming back. The only reasons the Clarion Liar listed CBS are a) they are the only people to project Dak in the top three rounds right now and no one is projecting past three rounds, b) they like stirring up trouble at MSU.

Sacrifice
12-19-2014, 01:47 PM
I believe he'll come back. Just looking at the lack of sucess dual-threat QBs are having in the NFL. I can't see him going before the 4th round. If he stays another year and improves his deep throws, I could see him going pretty high next year. Now that he's graduated, he'll have more time to work on it in the offseason.

Tough Dawg
12-19-2014, 01:49 PM
You said it.

HoopsDawg
12-19-2014, 01:58 PM
This year's QB class is not strong at all. After Winston and Mariota, you could make an argument that Dak is the next best prospect.

Winston and Mariota actually make it a very strong class. Brett Hundley too. Next year's class is awful. It's pretty much Conner Cook and Dak right now.

Homedawg
12-19-2014, 02:00 PM
My personal opinion and I may get torched for this, but I think he's also waiting to see what Mullen does. I do not think we are out of the woods with Mullen to Michigan talk. If Harbaugh declines their offer then I think we'll have a bullet to dodge. The MSU extension talk for Mullen is very quiet right now. You have to ask yourself the reasons that could be? Several possible reasons.

If Mullen goes then the probability of Dak leaving would be very high.

And I think we have a winner!!!!!!

Homedawg
12-19-2014, 02:02 PM
A) Mullen is not leaving to go to Michigan or anywhere else.

B) Dak is coming back. The only reasons the Clarion Liar listed CBS are a) they are the only people to project Dak in the top three rounds right now and no one is projecting past three rounds, b) they like stirring up trouble at MSU.

Mighty confident in that first part....he might not, but better hope he's way down Michigan list.

Jack Lambert
12-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Highlights:

He also said this: "It's a blessing," Prescott said. "To have success, to have that chance that I have, I still have another year to come back and improve get better if I need to."

engie
12-19-2014, 02:36 PM
Mighty confident in that first part....he might not, but better hope he's way down Michigan list.

Outside of the anonymous "sources" of an OM alum, what reason do we have to believe Mullen is very high in Michigan's list?

He's arguably the most similar coach in fbs to Rich Rodriguez -- a guy that in hindsight had them on the precipice of breaking through, improved every single year there, and ultimately "just wasn't Michigan enough for them"...

Homedawg
12-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Outside of the anonymous "sources" of an OM alum, what reason do we have to believe Mullen is very high in Michigan's list?

This is coming from the same guy that called bullshit when I said tommy champion wasn't going to be here a week ago. ive got some sources apparently.
Eta, I'm not claiming to have mich sources- just that he better be down the line. That's all.

I seen it dawg
12-19-2014, 02:39 PM
Not saying he is leaving or not and I hope he stays. I agree with Homedawg he would probably leave if Mullen were to go to Michigan, which I don't think is happening but it's not out of the realm. DAK has everything an NFL QB needs to have to have a long career except the ability to be a drop back passer. And right now that's the most important thing they are looking for. He has a lot of work to do.

engie
12-19-2014, 02:41 PM
This is coming from the same guy that called bullshit when I said tommy champion wasn't going to be here a week ago. ive got some sources apparently.
Eta, I'm not claiming to have mich sources- just that he better be down the line. That's all.

Where did I allegedly call this "bullshit?"

Leroy Jenkins
12-19-2014, 02:45 PM
I think he may be leaning toward leaving.... It would be very easy for him to say "I'm coming back next year" and be done. There is nor reason to not announce now if he is coming back.
On the other hand if he is leaving the benefit to not announcing now is so he doesn't become a a circus between now and the bowl game.

Whatever.

Maroon Blood
12-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Another day, another press conference to win

^^^This^^^
Timing, my friends. Timing.

Political Hack
12-19-2014, 03:20 PM
"Dan, we got any good news we can use to promote the program running up to signing day?"

"yep"

defiantdog
12-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Dak's coming back..... Bonner is fishing in the article. Nothing to see here.

And I believe Harbough will be at Michigan. He'll probably announce on December 31st. Everyone knows he's been offered 8mil a year. And he hasn't denied or declined the offer after a week so far. Good luck to him trying to bring back big blue.

1bigdawg
12-19-2014, 04:00 PM
Harbaugh could just be getting leverage with SF for going to another NFL team. His "trade value" goes way down while he is looking at a college job; SF has him by the shorts if he has no leverage.

No one who is not close to Harbaugh has any idea if he is serious about Michigan.

No one who is close to Mullen believes he would leave for the Michigan job if offered. For anyone who says $8MM talks, I agree but they are not setting that as their salary for whoever, that is Harbaugh only.

BossDawg
12-19-2014, 04:01 PM
He also said this: "It's a blessing," Prescott said. "To have success, to have that chance that I have, I still have another year to come back and improve get better if I need to."

I was wondering about those quotes also. I thought it was pretty much set in stone that he was coming back, according to his word.

Political Hack
12-19-2014, 04:59 PM
Harbaugh could just be getting leverage with SF for going to another NFL team. His "trade value" goes way down while he is looking at a college job; SF has him by the shorts if he has no leverage.

No one who is not close to Harbaugh has any idea if he is serious about Michigan.

No one who is close to Mullen believes he would leave for the Michigan job if offered. For anyone who says $8MM talks, I agree but they are not setting that as their salary for whoever, that is Harbaugh only.

you think CDM would take $6M from Mich after they offer JH $8M? They'd have to give CDM $9M to prove to him that they think he's the best.

1bigdawg
12-19-2014, 05:04 PM
you think CDM would take $6M from Mich after they offer JH $8M? They'd have to give CDM $9M to prove to him that they think he's the best.

Now that is a good question. Michigan won't offer to double Mullen's current salary to get him. If they did he would be offered a significant, but non-matching raise to stay and I think we would keep him. In the end, the football alumni are not going to support a spread guy and he knows that would kill his chances at a championship.

engie
12-19-2014, 05:07 PM

Which is kinda the point. They've painted themselves into a corner where they almost have GOT to get Harbaugh now with those numbers getting out... Anyone getting offered a reasonable sum on the heels of that number are going to be insulted...

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2014, 05:18 PM
My only question is "Why hasn't Mullen signed his extension yet?"

This stuff isn't rocket science. An extension takes a few days to negotiate and put together. So there only 3 reasons this thing is taking so long to get signed:

1. Stricklin is completely incompetent, and is impossible to work with when putting together an extension. This isn't likely since he's extended Mullen every year.

2. We are holding the announcement till after the Orange Bowl for PR purposes, although it seems like announcing it right now would have the greatest impact.

3. Mullen is holding out in hopes of getting offered another job.

Can someone shine some light on this?

TheRef
12-19-2014, 05:19 PM
My only question is "Why hasn't Mullen signed his extension yet?"

This stuff isn't rocket science. An extension takes a few days to negotiate and put together. So there only 3 reasons this thing is taking so long to get signed:

1. Stricklin is completely incompetent, and is impossible to work with when putting together an extension. This isn't likely since he's extended Mullen every year.

2. We are holding the announcement till after the Orange Bowl for PR purposes

3. Mullen is holding out in hopes of getting offered another job.

Can someone shine some light on this?

I'm sure the hold up is that Mullen is trying to negotiate for his assistants...

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2014, 05:22 PM
I'm sure the hold up is that Mullen is trying to negotiate for his assistants...

Maybe, but that should only take a few days. Again, this stuff isn't rocket science. Sticklin makes it seems much more difficult than it is so that people won't start getting worried when it takes longer than it should.

HancockCountyDog
12-19-2014, 05:23 PM

I have to admit, this made me lol.

Coach34
12-19-2014, 05:33 PM
Mullen always waits until after the bowl game to sign his extension doesnt he?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-19-2014, 05:38 PM
None of Mullen previous raises or extensions have been announce prior to the bowl game I'm pretty sure.

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Mullen always waits until after the bowl game to sign his extension doesnt he?

I have no clue. Just seems odd that we can't seem to get this thing signed.

If it truly wasn't going to take place till after the bowl game, then I would think Stricklin let us know that fact by reminding us that Mullen hasn't signed till after the bowl game each year.

Why wait till after the bowl game?

Is there some deadline that I'm unaware of that makes it beneficial for him to sign after the bowl game rather than before?

Personally, I think that's a weak theory

HancockCountyDog
12-19-2014, 06:08 PM
None of Mullen previous raises or extensions have been announce prior to the bowl game I'm pretty sure.

I know the one in 2010 was announced before Gator Bowl. Not sure about others.

engie
12-19-2014, 06:59 PM
I know the one in 2010 was announced before Gator Bowl. Not sure about others.

Dec 30, 2010...

MabenMaroon
12-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Previous extensions have been announced anywhere from mid-January to mid-March for Coach Mullen.

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Previous extensions have been announced anywhere from mid-January to mid-March for Coach Mullen.

So, does it have to be that way?

Why are other coaches around the country signing extensions and December, but wait till after the new year?

Is that Mullen or us that does that?

Does Mullen refuse sign before that date due to wanting to see what other jobs come open?

Nobody has given a decent reason as to why we always wait that long before extending him, and the only reason I can think of that this happens, is because he refuses to sign until he knows all the jobs that have come open for that year.

TheRef
12-19-2014, 07:53 PM
So, does it have to be that way?

Why are other coaches around the country signing extensions and December, but wait till after the new year?

Is that Mullen or us that does that?

Does Mullen refuse sign before that date due to wanting to see what other jobs come open?

Nobody has given a decent reason as to why we always wait that long before extending him, and the only reason I can think of that this happens, is because he refuses to sign until he knows all the jobs that have come open for that year.

It may be State law...ya know..since we can't sign someone for more than 4 years in advance. Maybe we HAVE to wait until January to extend him another year since if we do it before then, it would be 5 years in advance, effectively breaking the law.

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2014, 08:01 PM
It may be State law...ya know..since we can't sign someone for more than 4 years in advance. Maybe we HAVE to wait until January to extend him another year since if we do it before then, it would be 5 years in advance, effectively breaking the law.

Ole Miss did with Freeze before then, and I think Stricklin would tell us if that was a reason.

TheRef
12-19-2014, 08:02 PM
Ole Miss did with Freeze before then, and I think Stricklin would tell us if that was a reason.

Look man...you're looking way too much into this...just let it happen. Mullen is staying.

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Look man...you're looking way too much into this...just let it happen. Mullen is staying.

LOOK MAN!!!!!!.........203930984092 It's a valid question, and, in fact, it's an obvious question that doesn't take much "looking into" to ask. If your unhappy with what it may be insinuating, then that's not my problem.

The other option is to bury your head in the sand and not ask obvious questions

TheRef
12-19-2014, 08:13 PM
LOOK MAN!!!!!!.........203930984092 It's a valid question, and, in fact, it's an obvious question that doesn't take much "looking into" to ask. If your unhappy with what it may be insinuating, then that's not my problem.

The other option is to bury your head in the sand and not ask obvious questions

http://media0.giphy.com/media/Rhhr8D5mKSX7O/giphy.gif

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2014, 08:15 PM
http://media0.giphy.com/media/Rhhr8D5mKSX7O/giphy.gif

Hahaha, that's actually a really good response. Nice

Look, it's an obvious question that I don't have an answer to, and apparently no one else does either. I to trust that he will sign an extension and will stay, but that doesn't excuse the question of why it takes so long for him to so.

drunkernhelldawg
12-19-2014, 08:22 PM
I can tell you he isn't a 1st or 2nd rounder right now from an evaluation standpoint. If he comes back, and plays well, he has a chance to be move into the 1st or 2nd round.

Just FYI, here is Bill Parcell's criteria for drafting a college QB.

1) At least a three-year starter - Dak will accomplish next year
2) Started at least 30 games - He will be really really close to this after next year, if not reaching it
3) Won at least 20 games - He should reach this next year
4) At least a 2:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio - Should reach this
5) Completion percentage better than 60% - Should reach this
6) Is a senior - Will reach this
7) Is graduating - Has already reach.

In the NFL, there are many Parcell's disciples or people that think similarly. Due to this, even if Dak comes back and gets no better, he will elevate up the draft boards by simply meeting all this criteria.

He has everything to gain by coming back and little to lose.

HE'S COMING BACK

I don't think it has much do with where you're drafted. What matters with qb's is performance once you're in the the league. This is less true for other positions, many of which can be assessed from a purely physical point of view. Qb's that were great in college and have the right body often crap out in the league. Dak will base his decision on how he sees his own capabilities. I'm fearful that he doesn't get much tangible benefit from coming back. Russsel is supposedly going to try to make a team this cycle. I do think Winston will be a good NFL qb. Not sure about Mariota/haven't seen him but a few times. I think the whole read option thing is fading a little in the NFL. We see kap and rg3 struggling. Every team is dreaming of finding Andrew Luck.

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2014, 08:36 PM
I don't think it has much do with where you're drafted. What matters with qb's is performance once you're in the the league. This is less true for other positions, many of which can be assessed from a purely physical point of view. Qb's that were great in college and have the right body often crap out in the league. Dak will base his decision on how he sees his own capabilities. I'm fearful that he doesn't get much tangible benefit from coming back. Russsel is supposedly going to try to make a team this cycle. I do think Winston will be a good NFL qb. Not sure about Mariota/haven't seen him but a few times. I think the whole read option thing is fading a little in the NFL. We see kap and rg3 struggling. Every team is dreaming of finding Andrew Luck.

I agree with this, but many times it does matter when you get drafted because that insinuates the investment and how much the team that drafts you is counting on you. The higher players are drafted the more opportunities they get to be the "the guy".

drunkernhelldawg
12-19-2014, 08:50 PM
I agree with this, but many times it does matter when you get drafted because that insinuates the investment and how much the team that drafts you is counting on you. The higher players are drafted the more opportunities they get to be the "the guy".

You're right; I did overstate that aspect. About half (maybe a little less) of current starting qb's were first rounders. This is a good list from wikipedia that shows all the current starters and draft position. Romo and Shaun Hill were undrafted. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_starting_quarterbacks

GTHOM
12-19-2014, 10:49 PM
I dont think he will leave. Has a lot to gain by coming back, SEC title, HEISMAN, plus knowing the guy Dak is he wont wanna leave his teamates. I hope he stays. We damn sure need him. He will be the best QB in college football next year