PDA

View Full Version : Please take the time to read this. And PIN IT AT THE TOP.

Original48
06-17-2013, 11:01 PM
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?1766-I-asked-this-question-on-6pack-and-NOBODY-addressed-my-actual-question&p=13629#post13629

CadaverDawg
06-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Damn straight.

The Croom Diaries
06-17-2013, 11:19 PM
At any rate, Cohen used him tonight. And he left him in there vs. the left with Slauter and Norris on the bench. If we face another righty it would be tough to keep him out, although Frost had a big hit vs. OSU. I do agree with the Porter point though, he should DH pretty much every game, but I don't really care as much as a lot of others so long as we keep winning. Glad to see him come through tonight.

Coach34
06-17-2013, 11:21 PM
We gain so much by playing Frost at 3b and moving Detz to DH- it's worth Porter staying on the bench. Detz is a liability in the field, But Armstrong over Porter should never happen again

Will James
06-17-2013, 11:34 PM
We gain so much by playing Frost at 3b and moving Detz to DH- it's worth Porter staying on the bench. Detz is a liability in the field, But Armstrong over Porter should never happen again

I'm just curious how Frost isn't a liability in the field. Detz fielding % is nearly 100 points higher than Frosts. Okay he played 1B some.

Looking at just fielding assists Detz has 44 with 5 errors. So thats .890 on ground balls alone. Frost has 11 errors on 71 assists or .845 on grounders.

Dunno where you figure Frost is just so much better at 3B than Detz when its not the case. And having Porter's bat makes this a no brainer

Coach34
06-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Dunno where you figure Frost is just so much better at 3B than Detz when its not the case. And having Porter's bat makes this a no brainer

I respect you as a poster- but if you cant watch Frost and Detz and tell how much better Frost is, I cant help you. Frosy's arm is shitty at 3rd, but he has a great glove and range.

Frosty got to balls against Oregon State that Detz wouldnt have had a chance at. And Frosty cutting those balls off and throwing them out was huge because they were in the hole and it was doubtful that Frazier throws those guys out. Those are hits with Detz in there- and we probably lose Game 1

Todd4State
06-17-2013, 11:48 PM
I think Cohen likes Armstrong for the start of the game because he can steal bases, bunt, etc. and do things to help us get a lead. When the other team goes to a RH pitcher, then he can bring in Porter which is a favorable match-up for us. Also, Porter is a MUCH better pinch hitter than anyone else we have on our team and he gives us a chance to hit a home run late in a game. In a normal ballpark- sorry to go all Oregon State on everyone.

That's pretty much how it played out tonight anyway.

Todd4State
06-17-2013, 11:51 PM
I'm just curious how Frost isn't a liability in the field. Detz fielding % is nearly 100 points higher than Frosts. Okay he played 1B some.

Looking at just fielding assists Detz has 44 with 5 errors. So thats .890 on ground balls alone. Frost has 11 errors on 71 assists or .845 on grounders.

Let's be honest- neither one of them are exactly Brooks Robinson.

Will James
06-17-2013, 11:53 PM
I respect you as a poster- but if you cant watch Frost and Detz and tell how much better Frost is, I cant help you. Frosy's arm is shitty at 3rd, but he has a great glove and range.

Frosty got to balls against Oregon State that Detz wouldnt have had a chance at. And Frosty cutting those balls off and throwing them out was huge because they were in the hole and it was doubtful that Frazier throws those guys out. Those are hits with Detz in there- and we probably lose Game 1

He does have more range, but it's not worth leaving Porter on the bench. And his leadoff error triggered OSU's 2 run 1st inning.

CadaverDawg
06-17-2013, 11:53 PM

Completely agree. Frosty's range is what makes him better in the field. That, and the fact that Frost CAN make the occasional incredible play over there. He may **** up a little more than Detzbut a lot of those bad throws are on balls Detz would have never gotten a glove on.

Todd4State
06-17-2013, 11:56 PM
Completely agree. Frosty's range is what makes him better in the field. That, and the fact that Frost CAN make the occasional incredible play over there. He may **** up a little more than Detzbut a lot of those bad throws are on balls Detz would have never gotten a glove on.

Yeah- his lack of a throwing arm makes his fielding percentage misleading. It kind of makes me wonder what would have happened in Brayden Jones hadn't left the team. He was a walk-on, but he was a pretty decent third baseman.

Will James
06-17-2013, 11:57 PM

But its not worth having Porter sit. In Omaha you maximize your lineup. Score runs to win games.

CadaverDawg
06-18-2013, 12:00 AM
But its not worth having Porter sit. In Omaha you maximize your lineup. Score runs to win games.

Yes it is. Without Frost, we lose against Oregon State because he cut off at least 4 balls in the hole. There is no guarantee that Porter even gets a hit in that game. Also, Frost has been solid with the bat. He may not hit for power like Porter but his combination of glove and bat make him a far better option at 3rd than Detz against RHP. Especially with Graveman, a sinker baller, on the hill.

Todd4State
06-18-2013, 12:02 AM

Actually, in that ballpark, the best way to maximize your lineup to score more runs is with speed. See the ball that Porter crushed that was a fly out. That's a grand slam at Dudy-Noble. You also need to speed to cover that huge outfield to keep the other team from taking extra bases on you all night.

There's a reason why sabermaticians came up with ballpark factor.

Coach34
06-18-2013, 12:18 AM
agreed- Frosty has made him playing worthwhile because he has been a .300 hitter this year.