PDA

View Full Version : I Gotta Address This Staley Narrative

BeastMan
12-19-2014, 11:12 AM
This culminated in Twitter but it's been said on this and other boards. For whatever reason, there are some fans that question Staley's maturity and leadership b/c he tweets a lot. I ask where you get that from?

First off, I've never seen any tweets that were disrespectful to anyone or anything. it's his Twitter and as long as he's not harming others, what an 18-19 yr old tweets doesn't matter.

Yall realize he has a 4.0 GPA right? The QBs avg GPA is 3.22. I'll let you rocket scientist figure out who is pulling that average up. How is that not leadership and what you want at QB?

He has not gotten into any trouble since he's been at MSU. From all reports, he's done everything that has been asked of him.

Last, let's be real, most of the folks coming up with opinions on his Twitter have no idea what he's talking about. Is he talking about girls? Is he talking about football? Is he talking about a movie or song? YOU DONT KNOW. Quit thinking everything this kid says is in relation to MSU football. Let's be real, yall have a hard enough time understanding what's going on in YOUR son's head but you have Elijah Staley figured out? Give me a freaking break.

The truth is that none of yall know anything. Truth is that I don't either. But I bet you I don't jump to stupid conclusions. All Iknow for sure is that he has a 4.0 GPA, never been in trouble, and has gained a bunch of good weight at MSU. All that equals putting in work. Period.

So how about not trying to be a certified physiologist regarding things you have no idea what your talking about? Time will tell if Staley will be a star or never touch the field. That's on him.

SignalToNoise
12-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Good post, BeastMan.

CadaverDawg
12-19-2014, 11:19 AM
I saw that exchange. Whoever that guy is that tweeted at Staley needs to STFU and quit trying to play Daddy.

BrunswickDawg
12-19-2014, 11:26 AM
From what I've seen (and yes, I admit I started following him and Fitz when I was following their SR years), most of the time Staley is quoting music or movie lines, or just thinking out loud. My daughter uses social media the same way, and my Mom reacts the same way as these people saying Staley is negative. This generation expresses themselves in a VERY different manner than those of us older than 30. My teenagers have always had facebook, twitter, smartphones, ipads, ipods, and media in their lives and they lay their lives out in those mediums.

Rayburn8
12-19-2014, 11:30 AM
To put in perspective how smart Staley is. He was going to Vandy until State came along.

bulldawg28
12-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Tell the truth and shame the haters!!!

defiantdog
12-19-2014, 11:42 AM
From what I've seen (and yes, I admit I started following him and Fitz when I was following their SR years), most of the time Staley is quoting music or movie lines, or just thinking out loud. My daughter uses social media the same way, and my Mom reacts the same way as these people saying Staley is negative. This generation expresses themselves in a VERY different manner than those of us older than 30. My teenagers have always had facebook, twitter, smartphones, ipads, ipods, and media in their lives and they lay their lives out in those mediums.

i still think it's strange how people use social media to express their emotions. I guess they do it to so people will show empathy. At least, that's how I see it. But that's the demon of using social media. Just think if the players used this message board to express their emotions. I don't see any harm in any of it.

scottycameron
12-19-2014, 11:48 AM
because twitter is for 13 yo girls?*

Tbonewannabe
12-19-2014, 11:50 AM
He also has been very positive acting on the sidelines during games. RG III just quit social media for the season because people twist things.

Dawgface
12-19-2014, 11:52 AM
4.0.? That is impressive.

BrunswickDawg
12-19-2014, 12:11 PM
i still think it's strange how people use social media to express their emotions. I guess they do it to so people will show empathy. At least, that's how I see it. But that's the demon of using social media. Just think if the players used this message board to express their emotions. I don't see any harm in any of it.

I think it is strange too - but, these kids don't. Of course my daughter thinks it is weird that I spend time reading and posting on this board with a bunch of people who have no clue who I am. Being anonymous for this generation is a foreign concept.

BeastMan
12-19-2014, 12:38 PM
He also has been very positive acting on the sidelines during games. RG III just quit social media for the season because people twist things.

That's a good point. He always has great body language and energy on the sideline.

Brunswick also made a good point about younger people thinking out loud on social media. It basically eliminates a young person's filter to the public. If you didn't grow up in the social media age, you really need to show some understanding. I'm thankful Twitter wasn't around when I was 18-19. I can only shine the things I may have tweeted at that time.

BeastMan
12-19-2014, 12:42 PM
I think it is strange too - but, these kids don't. Of course my daughter thinks it is weird that I spend time reading and posting on this board with a bunch of people who have no clue who I am. Being anonymous for this generation is a foreign concept.

I love this post b/c you get it.

bluelightstar
12-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Seriously, I'm 23 so I was a teenager when social media first started taking off. With Twitter moreso than any other social network (Facebook, Instagram, etc.), you cannot pretend to know what a tweet is about. People tweet song lyrics, movie quotes, random thoughts, "sub-tweets" in response to something someone else said. You just don't know what it's about and I'm glad someone finally called people to task for that BS they've pulled about Staley.

BeastMan
12-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Seriously, I'm 23 so I was a teenager when social media first started taking off. With Twitter moreso than any other social network (Facebook, Instagram, etc.), you cannot pretend to know what a tweet is about. People tweet song lyrics, movie quotes, random thoughts, "sub-tweets" in response to something someone else said. You just don't know what it's about and I'm glad someone finally called people to task for that BS they've pulled about Staley.

You nailed it. There is a distinct difference in how young and old people use Twitter. The older people don't get it. If a player tweets, "I'm pissed at this bs!" He could have just had an argument with his gf and he wants her to see his tweet. I might not understand that line of thinking but I didn't develop socially in the digital age. Some older super fan sees that same tweet and assumes it must be about the team. They then freak out for no reason. What's message boards success percentage when they try to interpret a vague tweets by a recruit? Think about it.

CadaverDawg
12-19-2014, 01:35 PM
You nailed it. There is a distinct difference in how young and old people use Twitter. The older people don't get it. If a player tweets, "I'm pissed at this bs!" He could have just had an argument with his gf and he wants her to see his tweet. I might not understand that line of thinking but I didn't develop socially in the digital age. Some older super fan sees that same tweet and assumes it must be about the team. They then freak out for no reason. What's message boards success percentage when they try to interpret a vague tweets by a recruit? Think about it.

Another problem is that super fan doesn't seem to realize that these players are people, and they have lives outside of football. Just because you and I see Staley as "Elijah Staley, MSU QB" doesn't mean that he isn't also Elijah Staley...Son, brother, boyfriend, friend, basketball player, student, college kid, etc. to other people in his life. It amazes me how people expect these college kids to have every single thought be about the sport. They also have Finals, relationships, friends, family, and other things to worry about, JUST like all of us had in college. Just because they play football doesn't meant they don't also experience those same things non-football players experience in college.

I am shocked that the dude on twitter said "If you want to be the next Dak Prescott, blah blah blah...". Seriously, guy? Staley's response was awesome though...."I don't want to be the next Dak, I want to be the first Elijah Staley". Boom. STFU. Ha

BrunswickDawg
12-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Another problem is that super fan doesn't seem to realize that these players are people, and they have lives outside of football. Just because you and I see Staley as "Elijah Staley, MSU QB" doesn't mean that he isn't also Elijah Staley...Son, brother, boyfriend, friend, basketball player, student, college kid, etc. to other people in his life. It amazes me how people expect these college kids to have every single thought be about the sport. They also have Finals, relationships, friends, family, and other things to worry about, JUST like all of us had in college. Just because they play football doesn't meant they don't also experience those same things non-football players experience in college.

Staley has actually said almost those exact same things on twitter a few times too.

bluelightstar

Exactly. I used to really worry about it with my kids, then I just realized this is just like my parents getting on to me in the 80s for spending too much time at my Atari or watching TV. "You'll rot your brain....."

SheltonChoked
12-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Just tell her that it's not completely anonymous...

BrunswickDawg
12-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Just tell her that it's not completely anonymous...
HAHA that is true. Your card was great by the way. We are late as usual....

LC Dawg
12-19-2014, 02:17 PM
My kids are 21, 20, and 17 and I have no idea what they are talking about most of the time so I don't even bother to follow anyone that age on Twitter. If a player puts something on Twitter the only way I find out about it is if one of you guys post about it on here. Unless I hear that one of our guys tweets that they need bail money I'm not going to worry too much about it. Honestly, when I was a college student I would have thought it was real weird for a bunch of adults to be that interested in my everyday life.

hells bells
12-19-2014, 03:41 PM
This is a good post. At 18-19 years old I was a shit storm of a disaster with bad grades and dumb as a box of rock salt. Staley is a damn good student first, athlete second. Let him have fun with whatever he does on the field or court or both. I have waited many years for athelets like this to be at Hail State.