PDA

View Full Version : Did Mullen show his cards this week?

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2014, 12:32 AM
Tonight I've been pondering the week, and something struck me that I'm surprised no media picked up on.

When interviewed by the media about Collins' departure and Mullen called it a "lateral move", and in doing so I believe he gave us a glimpse into how he sees the world.

Logically, if Mullen truly believes Florida's DC job is lateral to MSU's job, then it stands to reason that Mullen believes MSU's head coaching job is lateral to most any other head coaching job.

If Mullen truly believes what he said and we can all agree that Florida's DC job is probably one of the top 5 non head coaching jobs in college football, then it must mean that Mullen is so proud of what he has built at MSU, that he believes his job is no less than lateral to most any other job.

If he truly believes what he said and was genuine, than Michigan or anyone else has little shot in taking him without backing up a dump truck of money.

CadaverDawg
12-19-2014, 12:45 AM
You're fishing.

BeardoMSU
12-19-2014, 12:46 AM
You're fishing.

I concur.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/082011/1312218061_throwing_fish_net_fail.gif

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2014, 12:49 AM
You're fishing.

Probably. Makes you think though.

Bulldogbeing
12-19-2014, 12:51 AM
Bump^^^ - Realistically, there are around 15 coaching jobs better than MSU

BLITZII
12-19-2014, 08:09 AM
Ok.....I'll play. The comment, about lateral positions, fits into what Dan has been doing all along! Trying to change a culture (our fans) of negativity or the woe is me thinking. If anyone knows what a coordinator position should look like in Florida then it will be Dan! So, depending on the criteria set at a particular position as lateral....then it will be a lateral move.

And Bulldogbeing...........It depends on what factors you consider as better? In my field, I've had the opportunity for more money but more difficult hours and less flexibility. Depends on what you are looking at........I don't think there are 15 better jobs than MSU but apparently you do.

DownwardDawg
12-19-2014, 08:13 AM
Bump^^^ - Realistically, there are around 15 coaching jobs better than MSU

LMAO!!! Name them. This will be good..........

Martianlander
12-19-2014, 09:28 AM
Ok.....I'll play. The comment, about lateral positions, fits into what Dan has been doing all along! Trying to change a culture (our fans) of negativity or the woe is me thinking. If anyone knows what a coordinator position should look like in Florida then it will be Dan! So, depending on the criteria set at a particular position as lateral....then it will be a lateral move.

And Bulldogbeing...........It depends on what factors you consider as better? In my field, I've had the opportunity for more money but more difficult hours and less flexibility. Depends on what you are looking at........I don't think there are 15 better jobs than MSU but apparently you do.
I agree. MSU is in the best division of the best conference in the nation. Many coaches (if they are not afraid) would love to coach in the SEC and SEC west in particular. Yes, I may have a little rose colored MSU vision, but I still think the way Dan is changing the culture, this is a destination school.

Covercorner2
12-19-2014, 09:29 AM
LMAO!!! Name them. This will be good..........

Texas
Ohio State
USC
Texas A&M
LSU
UGA
Bama
Auburn
UF
Oregon
Oklahoma
FSU
Tennessee
UCLA
Notre Dame

DownwardDawg
12-19-2014, 09:42 AM
Texas
Ohio State
USC
Texas A&M
LSU
UGA
Bama
Auburn
UF
Oregon
Oklahoma
FSU
Tennessee
UCLA
Notre Dame

I'm busy at work so I can't respond to each of those so I'll make a general post. I knew the list would look like this and it's a laughable list. Most of those jobs you listed can't pay "that much more" than MSU if we really wanted to get into a bidding war (which we wouldn't). Also, most of those schools would fire you in 3 years or less for going 8-4 or 9-3. 8-4 or 9-3 every year at State will get you a new football complex built to your designs and a nice statue someday.

Nice try but no cigar.

Covercorner2
12-19-2014, 09:53 AM
I'm busy at work so I can't respond to each of those so I'll make a general post. I knew the list would look like this and it's a laughable list. Most of those jobs you listed can't pay "that much more" than MSU if we really wanted to get into a bidding war (which we wouldn't). Also, most of those schools would fire you in 3 years or less for going 8-4 or 9-3. 8-4 or 9-3 every year at State will get you a new football complex built to your designs and a nice statue someday.

Nice try but no cigar.

So higher expectations = a worse job?

Intramural All-American
12-19-2014, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=DownwardDawg;308218]I'm busy at work so I can't respond to each of those so I'll make a general post. I knew the list would look like this and it's a laughable list. Most of those jobs you listed can't pay "that much more" than MSU if we really wanted to get into a bidding war (which we wouldn't). Also, most of those schools would fire you in 3 years or less for going 8-4 or 9-3. 8-4 or 9-3 every year at State will get you a new football complex built to your designs and a nice statue someday.

That's just a dumb post. Only MSU fans would argue that MSU is a better job than any of those. The ultimate goal in college football is winning national championships. You have a much better shot to do that at each of those schools than at State.

scottycameron
12-19-2014, 10:23 AM
some folks (OM) saw his lateral comment as a dig at UF and Foley for not considering him for the UF job. So there's that. Personally I don't think he meant anything one way or another. Just an off the cuff remark with no premeditated thought behind it. But is sure has been fun to take one word from an unimportant exchange and do a psychological profile. Good stuff.

Jack Lambert
12-19-2014, 11:05 AM

Nice try but no cigar.

Amen Brother! What's going to be funny is one day we go after their coaches.

SDDawg
12-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Solid post SD. I think that's exactly how Mullen views the world. In his mind, we were #1 for a big chunk of the season, lost a tough road game at Bama but should have made the CFB playoff. I think that he 100% believes this and believes it when he says that UF is a lateral job. Speaking plainly, I think it's actually a step backwards when you look at what's going on in national recruiting, what's happening with football in the state of Florida and the lack of leadership at UF. There's no reason to believe they bounce back quickly, if at all.

None of this means that Mullen won't eventually move on, but if he does I don't think it will be because he believes he can't win at MSU or have great success here. We know that he believes he can and will. I also think Dak is a great player and a program changer for us, but I think Mullen believes he can find a guy with that kind of potential every 3 or 4 years. His track record indicates that he's right, at least so far.

TUSK
12-19-2014, 12:03 PM
Texas
Ohio State
USC
Texas A&M
LSU
UGA
Bama
Auburn
UF
Oregon
Oklahoma
FSU
Tennessee
UCLA
Notre Dame

PSU and Michigan deserve consideration, too, IMO.

Clemson and Nebraska (still) aren't shabby gigs, either.

Covercorner2
12-19-2014, 12:14 PM
PSU and Michigan deserve consideration, too, IMO.

Clemson and Nebraska (still) aren't shabby gigs, either.

Haha yea I wanted to include those, but I didn't since I figured I would get crucified because Mullen would definitely turns those down in the eyes of some folks...

TUSK
12-19-2014, 12:17 PM
Haha yea I wanted to include those, but I didn't since I figured I would get crucified because Mullen would definitely turns those down in the eyes of some folks...

oh, so you just threw lil ole Tusker up on the cross, huh?***

Maroonthirteen
12-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Mullen has said for weeks he isn't leaving. He isn't playing poker.

As far as how he views the job, someone else hit it. He is trying to change the mindset.

Also, it may be that Mullen really enjoys Starkville. Megans parents have moved there. Correct? he has kids and it is a good place to raise kids. However problem is (with Diaz and Collins) Starkville isn't for everyone. Does Collins have kids? If not, I could imagine his wife wanting a larger city with more to do than family activities. While the job may be the same, the locations are not. I really think that and that alone is the difference in MSU and other SEC jobs. Hell, just the job duties alone, MSU may be better because of less pressure and press demands.

(For OM lurkers don't cream yourself over the Starkville thoughts. You may think your tiny ms town is a slice of heaven but nobody outside your fanbase and Memphis believes that. Starkville = Oxford)

I really think Mullen loves MSU and won't leave until his first love comes calling. Penn State.

NCDawg
12-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Mullen has said for weeks he isn't leaving. He isn't playing poker.

As far as how he views the job, someone else hit it. He is trying to change the mindset.

Also, it may be that Mullen really enjoys Starkville. Megans parents have moved there. Correct? he has kids and it is a good place to raise kids. However problem is (with Diaz and Collins) Starkville isn't for everyone. Does Collins have kids? If not, I could imagine his wife wanting a larger city with more to do than family activities. While the job may be the same, the locations are not. I really think that and that alone is the difference in MSU and other SEC jobs. Hell, just the job duties alone, MSU may be better because of less pressure and press demands.

(For OM lurkers don't cream yourself over the Starkville thoughts. You may think your tiny ms town is a slice of heaven but nobody outside your fanbase and Memphis believes that. Starkville = Oxford)

I really think Mullen loves MSU and won't leave until his first love comes calling. Penn State.

I think you are surmising. I am also surmising that he won't hire a DC, or sign an extension to his contract until after he sees what Harbaugh's plans are.

Maroonthirteen
12-19-2014, 02:13 PM
I take the man for his word.

https://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2014/12/15/mullen-refutes-job-rumors-stricklin-optimistic-on-finalizing-contract-extension/

NewTweederEndzoneDance
12-19-2014, 03:00 PM
1. Mullen isn't going to Michigan.
2. Mullen's comments about Collins move to UF were nothing more than a jab at Collins and/or UF.
3. Repeat 1 and 2 as necessary.

RiverCityDawg
12-19-2014, 03:02 PM
I think he simply meant DC to DC is lateral, DC to HC or DL coach to DC is not lateral.

Covercorner2
12-19-2014, 03:18 PM
I think he simply meant DC to DC is lateral, DC to HC or DL coach to DC is not lateral.

THIS combined with the fact that it is SEC to SEC, in which he was asked about. Please watch the video.

BLITZII
12-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Texas
Ohio State
USC
Texas A&M
LSU
UGA
Bama
Auburn
UF
Oregon
Oklahoma
FSU
Tennessee
UCLA
Notre Dame

Ok.....you listed 15 schools but are they better jobs? That was the original question by Bulldogbeing. Maybe they are and maybe they aren't but you can't answer the question any better than I can. I can give you a reason that I would turn each one down and stay at MSU.

DownwardDawg
12-19-2014, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=DownwardDawg;308218]I'm busy at work so I can't respond to each of those so I'll make a general post. I knew the list would look like this and it's a laughable list. Most of those jobs you listed can't pay "that much more" than MSU if we really wanted to get into a bidding war (which we wouldn't). Also, most of those schools would fire you in 3 years or less for going 8-4 or 9-3. 8-4 or 9-3 every year at State will get you a new football complex built to your designs and a nice statue someday.

That's just a dumb post. Only MSU fans would argue that MSU is a better job than any of those. The ultimate goal in college football is winning national championships. You have a much better shot to do that at each of those schools than at State.

Oh. So we're talking EASIER jobs? Well yeah, all those are much easier jobs. I thought we were talking better jobs. There may be a few of those that I would consider a better job but not many. I guess that all depends on the individual. Better support. Family environment. Best conference in college football. Outstanding facilities. Multi-million dollar payday per year. etc..........

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2014, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=Intramural All-American;308234]

Oh. So we're talking EASIER jobs? Well yeah, all those are much easier jobs. I thought we were talking better jobs. There may be a few of those that I would consider a better job but not many. I guess that all depends on the individual. Better support. Family environment. Best conference in college football. Outstanding facilities. Multi-million dollar payday per year. etc..........

Are Notre Dame, UCLA, and Tennessee really "easier" jobs?

Other than UCLA, MSU has more local talent than both Tennessee and Notre Dame

TUSK
12-19-2014, 09:29 PM
there have been a lot of variables introduced in this discussion... "bigger" job, "better" job, "easier" job, etc....

it's all time sensitive to an extent... for example: not long ago, Nebraska was a much better gig than MSU....

MSU has improved, while NE has fallen off a cliff, changed conferences, and is now in a black hole for talent... so, they are almost comparable as far as a
"destination job", now....

I think the best way to ask the question is "would Coach 'X' decline school A for school B for the same amount of money"?

that question would be answered "yes" by a list of ~(20 to 30) coaches in all of NCAA football.... Dan's not on that list.