PDA

View Full Version : OT: Favorite bottle of Whiskey sub $100

vv83
12-18-2014, 11:51 PM
I believe we've had this conversation before but just trying to get a feel of what everyone likes. Bourbon, Scotch, Irish, etc.

vv83
12-18-2014, 11:52 PM
Mine would have to be either Woodford reserve or Blanton's over a couple cubes of ice

Skydawg1
12-19-2014, 12:05 AM
Mine would have to be either Woodford reserve or Blanton's over a couple cubes of iceDevil's Cut...neat.

Pollodawg
12-19-2014, 12:07 AM
Knob Creek neat.

TXDawg
12-19-2014, 12:09 AM
Elijah Craig is pretty good ~$30

Also, Four Roses Single Barrel or Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Whatever you decide on, the ONLY way to go is neat.

BeardoMSU
12-19-2014, 12:12 AM
Always go single malt, regardless of variety.

Scotch: Lagavulin 16
Irish: Knapopogue Castle 12. They sell this at Corky's in Starkville, if you're inclined to give it a try; won't regret it (It's irish whiskey aged in bourbon barrels).

Not a big fan of bourbon.

starkvegasdawg
12-19-2014, 12:53 AM
5 bottles of Jack Daniels. Seriously, I've never had the "good stuff" to even know the difference. I just know among what I have had (jack, jim, Evan, etc. I haven't noticed enough of a difference to have a preference. Now, I have had some top shelf tequila and there was a major upgrade in taste there and I much prefer absolut to taaka vodka. So I have to assume upgrading in quality for bourbon pays the same dividends.

dawgs
12-19-2014, 01:38 AM
5 bottles of Jack Daniels. Seriously, I've never had the "good stuff" to even know the difference. I just know among what I have had (jack, jim, Evan, etc. I haven't noticed enough of a difference to have a preference. Now, I have had some top shelf tequila and there was a major upgrade in taste there and I much prefer absolut to taaka vodka. So I have to assume upgrading in quality for bourbon pays the same dividends.

you need to branch out.

dawgs
12-19-2014, 01:43 AM
elmer t lee is my go to cheaper bourbon ($30-35), and imo it's as good or better than just about anything i've had in the under ~$75 range. black maple hill is a relatively unknown ~$50 bottle that i always really enjoy. for scotch, ardbeg uiglidel (sp?), though i saw it in starkville in november for like $130. but i've found it as cheap as $55 (once, and i wish i had bought the store out), and it's usually around $75-85. also had jura 16 year for the first time the other night and it was great. if you are looking for a scotch without a bunch of peat, this is one to try.

i pretty much enjoy everything in the buffalo trace family though. and four roses is a good family too. i do not like the stuff in the beam family tree.

Bulldogbeing
12-19-2014, 02:48 AM
I'm sipping on some Colonel E.H Taylor small batch on the rocks that is really good on the rocks. I got it at a dirty santa party, just googled it and its about 38 a bottle. Well worth it IMO.

Bulldogbeing
12-19-2014, 02:52 AM
and yes I noticed I said on the rocks twice

gravedigger
12-19-2014, 07:02 AM
Knob Creek neat.

Knob creek

SheltonChoked
12-19-2014, 07:13 AM
And you'd be wrong

dawgoneyall
12-19-2014, 07:31 AM
Full.

Political Hack
12-19-2014, 07:43 AM
Morangie 18. right at $100

Dawg496
12-19-2014, 08:17 AM
Morangie 18. right at $100

I'll second that. A price tier down I'd say Blanton's (~50).

Dawgface
12-19-2014, 08:38 AM
Crown Royal does the job for me. But I'm not picky. I'll drink Dickel, Jack, Jim...........

rabbitthedawg
12-19-2014, 08:42 AM
Jefferson Reserve is wonderful.

BrunswickDawg
12-19-2014, 09:17 AM
I'll make no claims for "best" - but as the Chef at MSU who taught the Wine Appreciation Class in the early 90s said "Find what you like and drink it" - Bulleit is my current favorite, followed by Woodford Reserve, Makers, then Knob Creek.

Miss. Stake
12-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Knob creek

3rd on Knob creek

dawgpound
12-19-2014, 09:28 AM
Knob Creek

Hypnodawg
12-19-2014, 09:29 AM
Wild Turkey Honey. I did a tasting of the various Honey offerings and Wild Turkey won.
JD for shots (been a long time)
JD or Crown with Coke or Dr Pepper.
Johny Walker Black Label if I'm feeling spendy.

Brahmabull
12-19-2014, 10:02 AM
Lately, I have been sipping the Four Roses Small Batch. I think I like it better than the single barrel.

Vancleave
12-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Man, I like several. makers is my go to whiskey when I don't want to spend a bunch, but sometimes I will splurge and buy something a little more expensive. Pick one of the following

Blantons
Willford reserve
Willet
Basil Hayden

There is several more that is outstanding. I really like Blantons and it has a super cool bottle that looks attractive in the liquor cabinet or on the counter.

TXDawg
12-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Man, I like several. makers is my go to whiskey when I don't want to spend a bunch, but sometimes I will splurge and buy something a little more expensive. Pick one of the following

Blantons
Willford reserve
Willet
Basil Hayden

There is several more that is outstanding. I really like Blantons and it has a super cool bottle that looks attractive in the liquor cabinet or on the counter.

Vancleave - If you like Blantons and Basil Hayden, you should give Elijah Craig Small Batch 12-year. It's the same price as Makers, but bold like Blantons. Give it a shot. You won't be disappointed.

Maroons
12-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Blanton's. Drink it neat.

State82
12-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Lately, I have been sipping the Four Roses Small Batch. I think I like it better than the single barrel.

I definitely like the Small Batch better than Single Barrel. For the price it's hard to beat. Around $28.

dawgs
12-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Another very good cheap bottle is Evan Williams single barrel. It's usually only around $25.

Also, I bought a bottle of the new willet rye recently and it's great. I think it ran me $43 or so.

For those of you that only drink jack, jim, etc., are you just mixing it with coke or do you sip on it neat or on the rocks or in classic cocktails like old fashioneds and Manhattans? Because those are kinda completely different mindsets in evaluating what whiskey to buy.

lefty96
12-19-2014, 10:55 AM
I'll make no claims for "best" - but as the Chef at MSU who taught the Wine Appreciation Class in the early 90s said "Find what you like and drink it" - Bulleit is my current favorite, followed by Woodford Reserve, Makers, then Knob Creek.

At $20 a bottle, Bulleit is near impossible to beat. Oddly your list is EXACTLY mine.

spudd21
12-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Glenlivet

NewTweederEndzoneDance
12-19-2014, 11:02 AM

I've got a bottle of it in the cabinet, but haven't broken into it yet. Just finished up a bottle of Woodford Reserve. I second the earlier mention of Elijah Craig, it's under $30 and quite tasty. Bulliet is my go to if I'm in a hurry, but its nothing great.

I've been trying to test all the ones in the $25-$50 range lately. Slowly but surely working my way through. Had some 1792 Ridgemont Reserve a few weeks back and thought it was pretty good. Bookers is okay as well.

scottycameron
12-19-2014, 11:04 AM
do you hold your pinky in the air when you drink it? I've been nervous about trying it, afraid I won't do it right.

BrunswickDawg
12-19-2014, 11:10 AM
Another very good cheap bottle is Evan Williams single barrel. It's usually only around $25.

My Dad has been an Evan guy my whole life. I had an aversion to bourbon until about 5 years ago, b/c I am pretty sure I swigged some as a small child and it scarred me.

Aces High
12-19-2014, 11:23 AM
Dawgs has to be a nafoomer. His post are always way to clever and he knows too much about bourbon.

That said, single malt scotch. Bourbon is for pussies**

dawgs
12-19-2014, 11:27 AM
My Dad has been an Evan guy my whole life. I had an aversion to bourbon until about 5 years ago, b/c I am pretty sure I swigged some as a small child and it scarred me.

In all fairness, regular Evan is just generic coke mixing whiskey. But the single barrel is much better, for not really much more cost.

dawgs
12-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Dawgs has to be a nafoomer. His post are always way to clever and he knows too much about bourbon.

That said, single malt scotch. Bourbon is for pussies**

When you get a little older you drink for quality, not quantity, and if you are drinking for quality, you want to get good stuff, whether it's beer, wine, or liquor.

BrunswickDawg
12-19-2014, 11:41 AM
When you get a little older you drink for quality, not quantity, and if you are drinking for quality, you want to get good stuff, whether it's beer, wine, or liquor.

My problem is that I really appreciate the quality, but it makes me want to up the quantity.

civildawg
12-19-2014, 11:50 AM
I definitely like the Small Batch better than Single Barrel. For the price it's hard to beat. Around $28.

This. I also like the small batch better than the Single barrel.

dawgs
12-19-2014, 11:51 AM
My problem is that I really appreciate the quality, but it makes me want to up the quantity.

Well that can happen sometimes. But like last night, I relaxed at home with 2 glasses of bourbon. Perfect to chill out with, but nothing that's gonna make me feel awful the next morning.

TUSK
12-19-2014, 12:21 PM

Jim Beam here... mostly bc it's cheap and I drink too much, probably....

I have, however, drank lots of different brands...

If you like Vodka, give Tito's a try... Knob Creek and Makers or both good for the $ booze, too.

Liverpooldawg
12-19-2014, 01:07 PM
Bunnahabhain single malt. They have some in that range. This one is for peat lovers only. It's milder than most but the peat smoke is still very much there.

It_Could_Happen
12-19-2014, 03:48 PM
1. Woodford Reserve
2. Eljiah Craig
3. Crown Royal Black

State82
12-19-2014, 04:00 PM
and if you are drinking for quality, you want to get good stuff, whether it's beer, wine, or liquor.

And this is exactly why I only drink Natty Light when I'm sippin' on a cold beer.

drunkernhelldawg
12-19-2014, 04:43 PM
And this is exactly why I only drink Natty Light when I'm sippin' on a cold beer.

well played. Cheers with my glass of Evan regular

Political Hack
12-19-2014, 04:54 PM

I've never wasted a penny on quality alcohol.

CadaverDawg
12-19-2014, 06:37 PM
Bourbon: Makers, Woodford, Buffalo Trace, Blanton's, Four Roses

Scotch: Glenlivet

Vodka: Tito's

Beer: Quality (Abita Family), Quantity (Bud Light)

Churchill
12-19-2014, 06:45 PM

I really believe they could charge more for Four Roses Small Batch and sell just as much. It`s that good IMO.

Fred Garvin
12-19-2014, 07:05 PM
Jack Daniels Single Barrel, Makers Mark

Dawgbite
12-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Bourbon is for redneck racist but if you ever want to venture out a little to some good rum try Zaya, a Guatamalian rum aged in bourbon barrels. You will thank me later. The Captains 1671 is pretty good too. I drink it neat but keep the bottle in the freezer so I'm not sure what you call that.

blacklistedbully
12-20-2014, 03:20 AM
Glenmorangie & Glenlivet have been mentioned and are top-shelf (18 yr in the price range ball-park). For Scotch, I'd definitely add to that Glenfiddich Ancient 18, or even the 12 yr-old for around $70.

Personally, I'm partial to Tennessee Whisky, particularly George Dickel #12 on-the-rocks or neat. If you like JD, you'll probably love GD #12, as it's much smoother and more complex than Jack Daniels. Make sure you get the #12. I believe they offer a #10 that tastes about the same as JD.

Dickel also offers a Barrel Select well within that price range, though I have not yet personally tried it.

Pollodawg
12-20-2014, 03:37 PM
But, I'll say this much, if I buy a $50 bottle of bourbon, it aint going in a Coke.
Vodka, it's hard to go wrong with Absolut or Grey Goose. As anybody ever tried the Cat Head vodka they make in Mississippi?
I aint a big Tequila dinker, so I don't have much input there.

When I want to drink good beer, I'm partial to Abita Strawberry myself and some good boiled shrimp or mudbug.