PDA

View Full Version : Team GPAs

Covercorner2
12-18-2014, 04:55 PM
So Freeze tweeted about Ole Miss having it's highest team GPA ever at 2.57. Minutes later Mullen responds with a tweet claiming State had a 2.76. Gotta love the twitter war. LOL

Dawgfan61
12-18-2014, 05:43 PM
What's great is that Bucky had to respond to the criticism that went with him being proud of a 2.57 GPA. What kind of moron in a Head Coaching position actually responds to hater tweets?

Todd4State
12-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Congrats to Ole Miss on getting a "C" in the classroom.

Todd4State
12-18-2014, 05:51 PM
This is certainly nitpicky- but I would like to see our team GPA be 3.0.

scottycameron
12-18-2014, 05:56 PM
This is certainly nitpicky- but I would like to see our team GPA be 3.0.

not me. That 3.0 would translate to serious drop in team speed and a certain last place finish in the SECW. I'll take a 2.7 all day. Give me a 2.5 to bump up our talent a little and that would be even better. This ain't the big10.

Todd4State
12-18-2014, 06:05 PM
not me. That 3.0 would translate to serious drop in team speed and a certain last place finish in the SECW. I'll take a 2.7 all day. Give me a 2.5 to bump up our talent a little and that would be even better. This ain't the big10.

I'm probably being na?ve- but I think it's possible to have a team that is full of elite athletes and good students. Not that a 2.7 is too shabby. And it's sure as hell better than a 2.5.

starkvegasdawg
12-18-2014, 06:15 PM
I'm probably being na?ve- but I think it's possible to have a team that is full of elite athletes and good students.

I've got one word for you...Vanderbilt.

Churchill
12-18-2014, 06:33 PM
These 2 geniuses are making a combined 8 mil a year to have twitter fights ? Terrific !

HereComesTheSpiral
12-18-2014, 07:08 PM

Nah, we just need to focus on producing excellent basket weavers in the classroom***

Todd4State
12-18-2014, 07:38 PM
I've got one word for you...Vanderbilt.

What about Stanford?

M.Fillmore
12-18-2014, 08:04 PM
2.57 at the school of Perfesser Eddie Strong and Jurl Po equates to a 1.8 at MSU.

BeardoMSU
12-18-2014, 08:12 PM
2.57 at the school of Perfesser Eddie Strong and Jurl Po equates to a 1.8 at MSU.

This^^^ what's sad, is most of the real dipshits (i.e., the "talent") take all online classes and their assignments are done by tutors and GA's.

M.Fillmore
12-18-2014, 08:51 PM
This^^^ what's sad, is most of the real dipshits (i.e., the "talent") take all online classes and their assignments are done by tutors and GA's.

Agreed. This is the type thing the NCAA should really crack down upon. Forget the $100 handshakes or even cars. A university prostitutes itself when it cheats on the education process in favor of sports. North Carolina should get completely hammered for years of academic fraud.

1998Dawg
12-18-2014, 09:08 PM

you may have been joking but that is actually true. An education at tsun is not nearly as prominent as one from MSU. Over the years I've talked with many bear acquaintances and their classes are jokes - and I'm not just speaking for just jocks either. Their students are GIVEN grades and pushed through the system. It's pretty common knowledge up there that if you enroll, showup, and do the minimum you will pass. If I had my own business and was in charge of hiring I would absolutely think twice about hiring any kid with a diploma from there and it has nothing to do with my love of MSU football. They instil a mindset of entitlement and no need to put extra effort for a higher grade when it'll be given like candy on halloween. Now that I think of it, sounds like the program Bucky is running..

BeardoMSU
12-18-2014, 09:20 PM
you may have been joking but that is actually true. An education at tsun is not nearly as prominent as one from MSU. Over the years I've talked with many bear acquaintances and their classes are jokes - and I'm not just speaking for just jocks either. Their students are GIVEN grades and pushed through the system. It's pretty common knowledge up there that if you enroll, showup, and do the minimum you will pass. If I had my own business and was in charge of hiring I would absolutely think twice about hiring any kid with a diploma from there and it has nothing to do with my love of MSU football. They instil a mindset of entitlement and no need to put extra effort for a higher grade when it'll be given like candy on halloween. Now that I think of it, sounds like the program Bucky is running..

This is a bit "maroon" bra. Bachelor programs are easier today across the board, not just at OM.

drunkernhelldawg
12-18-2014, 09:41 PM
I don't know what the national attitude is, but I hate the hell out of the thought that our GA's and tutors are depriving our players of their education by doing their work. Hopefully, this is just people talking. Pretty sure it is as I know a professor who worked a lot with our athletes over many years, and this person has impeccable ethics imo.

Johnson85
12-18-2014, 10:16 PM
This is a bit "maroon" bra. Bachelor programs are easier today across the board, not just at OM.

At just about any school now you can graduate with decent grades with an easier schedule than you'd have at a good high school. It seems like a slightly higher portion of ole miss students do this, probably bc of their party reputation and maybe a little but bc not having a prominent engineering program means a lot of their good students don't even realize how little they're challenging themselves. But the difference is slight. Had plenty of friends at state that were just in school to get a sheet of paper as painlessly as possible.

1998Dawg
12-18-2014, 11:14 PM
if you go to school at MSU and graduate, you are setting yourself up better than someone who graduates from tsun academically and socially. Msu folks aren't worried about winning the party and are harder workers. These things can't really be argued imo

quickstrike2
12-18-2014, 11:42 PM
What about Stanford?

They in the SEC?

Todd4State
12-19-2014, 12:19 AM
They in the SEC?

No, but when they had Andrew Luck I would have liked their chances of winning 8 in the SEC.

I just don't think being a good athlete and being a good student has to be mutually exclusive. Prior to this year, Vanderbilt had a pretty solid team under Franklin.

Like I said, my goal for the team would be 3.0 and we're at 2.76 right now- so we're not too far off as it is. We could every easily get to a 2.8 or a 2.9 next year.

But the way I view it is it's not so much that we should be looking for guys like Vanderbilt, Stanford, Duke or whatever. What I would like to see us do is take the players that we get and shape them into good students. I think there are some students that don't do as well in high school that actually do better in college sometimes. Basically I want our players to strive for excellence in everything. And I do think that we are on that track.

dawgs
12-19-2014, 01:59 AM
No, but when they had Andrew Luck I would have liked their chances of winning 8 in the SEC.

I just don't think being a good athlete and being a good student has to be mutually exclusive. Prior to this year, Vanderbilt had a pretty solid team under Franklin.

Like I said, my goal for the team would be 3.0 and we're at 2.76 right now- so we're not too far off as it is. We could every easily get to a 2.8 or a 2.9 next year.

But the way I view it is it's not so much that we should be looking for guys like Vanderbilt, Stanford, Duke or whatever. What I would like to see us do is take the players that we get and shape them into good students. I think there are some students that don't do as well in high school that actually do better in college sometimes. Basically I want our players to strive for excellence in everything. And I do think that we are on that track.

the problem with pointing out stanford is that stanford has a huge advantage over us when recruiting the handful of athletes that have stanford-level intelligence...they can offer them a stanford education. a msu degree can set you up for life, but stanford is one of the best universities in the world. if i was a FCS level football recruit with the HS grades and test scores to get me into stanford and they wanted to give me a free stanford education to play football, i'd love msu in my heart, but it'd be a no brainer.

Todd4State
12-19-2014, 02:30 AM
the problem with pointing out stanford is that stanford has a huge advantage over us when recruiting the handful of athletes that have stanford-level intelligence...they can offer them a stanford education. a msu degree can set you up for life, but stanford is one of the best universities in the world. if i was a FCS level football recruit with the HS grades and test scores to get me into stanford and they wanted to give me a free stanford education to play football, i'd love msu in my heart, but it'd be a no brainer.

For me, it would depend on how good I think I am at football and how realistic my chances at the NFL are. In that case, SEC and MSU would be > Stanford. Especially since I could get into medical or law school with a MSU degree.

thedawg
12-19-2014, 08:59 AM
Freeze showed his immaturity in responding to State fans screwing with him on twitter... You just dont respond... ever... Hes such a baby and cant help himself

dawgpound
12-19-2014, 09:27 AM

I bleed maroon but a degree at State isn't any more valuable than a degree from TSUN. Each school has its programs, obviously engineering at MSU is a little better than TSUN's engineering but their accounting, business, pharmaceutical sciences, and biology/pre med programs are better than ours. But I will send my children to State

thedawg
12-19-2014, 09:29 AM
I bleed maroon but a degree at State isn't any more valuable than a degree from TSUN. Each school has its programs, obviously engineering at MSU is a little better than TSUN's engineering but their accounting, business, pharmaceutical sciences, and biology/pre med programs are better than ours. But I will send my children to State

Agree... Six one way half a dozen the other.. unless your gonna be an engineer or a doctor

SheltonChoked
12-19-2014, 09:50 AM
"obviously engineering at MSU is a little better than TSUN's engineering but their accounting, business, pharmaceutical sciences, and biology/pre med programs are better than ours."

I'm going to have to disagree on several points. The MSU engineering program is decades ahead of the Ole Miss program. Far enough that it's stupid for Ole Miss to even have one.

And while I cannot speak to accounting or business schools, is wager there is little difference between the schools.

However, when it come to pre med, a chemical or biological engineering degree from MSU, boat races anything ole miss can offer. Just look at the acceptance #'s to UMC.

If you look at historically, the best Pre-Med/Pre Pharm program in Mississippi is located in Raymond, not Oxford or Starkville.

Martianlander
12-19-2014, 11:12 AM
I always heard that if somebody graduates from tsun, they don't have to take an entrance exam to get into MSU as a freshman.

dawgs
12-19-2014, 11:34 AM
For me, it would depend on how good I think I am at football and how realistic my chances at the NFL are. In that case, SEC and MSU would be > Stanford. Especially since I could get into medical or law school with a MSU degree.

Stanford has put enough guys in the NFL and the pac 12 has put enough guys in the NFL, that nfl prospects honestly wouldn't be on my radar. A lot of the difference in numbers is purely due to the recruiting ranking difference between conferences. But it's not like we are talking mac v. sec here.

And yeah a msu gets you into law school or med school, I went to one of them and know plenty of msu friends that went to one or the other too. But a stanford undergraduate degree simply opens doors a msu undergraduate degree can't open. You are also being pushed intellectually against some of the smartest college students in the world. Just like competition breeds success on the field because it pushes the competitors, it also breeds success intellectually.

Dawg496
12-19-2014, 11:41 AM
I'm going to have to disagree on several points. The MSU engineering program is decades ahead of the Ole Miss program. Far enough that it's stupid for Ole Miss to even have one.

And while I cannot speak to accounting or business schools, is wager there is little difference between the schools.

However, when it come to pre med, a chemical or biological engineering degree from MSU, boat races anything ole miss can offer. Just look at the acceptance #'s to UMC.

If you look at historically, the best Pre-Med/Pre Pharm program in Mississippi is located in Raymond, not Oxford or Starkville.

I've always heard we place a lot of students at UMC. Is there any data to back this?

dawgs
12-19-2014, 11:54 AM
I've always heard we place a lot of students at UMC. Is there any data to back this?

From my understanding, we put far more students in med school, both umc and overall. I remember the numbers from when I was at state saying as much, and I know my friends at umc said their classes were very msu heavy.

TheRef
12-19-2014, 12:23 PM
From my understanding, we put far more students in med school, both umc and overall. I remember the numbers from when I was at state saying as much, and I know my friends at umc said their classes were very msu heavy.

Let's put it this way, I know that UMMC used to have only Ole Miss student tickets available for students at the Medical schools. Because of the large amount of MSU alums that go to the school, they gave them the option to buy MSU tickets also.

Todd4State
12-19-2014, 12:46 PM

I don't know about public data, but if you go to a UMC ceremony or if you are in school there and you count the students in the class, you can do a percentage. And I can tell you from being a student there and I also used to do guest lectures and being fairly involved with students there that typically in my profession that the class is about 50% MSU. Which is a majority because there are students from Ole Miss, USM, Mississippi College, etc.

The dean of the OT school there went to MSU I believe.

In my class, it was the majority of students had attended MSU.

What I can also tell you is that when I was looking to go into OT and I was talking to UMC faculty and etc. they all spoke very highly of MSU. They told me that they liked MSU students and that we were very well prepared. All of the MSU students in my class passed except for one- and she went on to UAB which is actually a "better" school and passed there.

The thing that most people don't realize about UMC (at least I didn't) is how intense it is compared to undergrad in college. You can't just show up to class on time and then study the night before and get an A. And you get what you earn. In other words- you have to really work to do well. And that's for any program there.

Someone was talking about Ole Miss grads having the feeling of "entitlement". Well, one thing about the programs at UMC is you have to not only have good grades, but you also have to interview which is more important than a lot of students realize. And if they think that you can't handle it from whatever level- whether that be they think that you are going to act entitled or whatever- they won't accept you. I've heard a few times from parents about how they can't believe their kid didn't get in when they had a 4.0 or whatever and I always tell them that most likely the reason that they didn't get in was because of their interview. They'll take someone with a 3.6 or 3.5 that will work hard and really wants to be there over someone with a 4.0 that they think is a spoiled brat.

But I think that those are all factors as to why so many MSU students get into UMC and do well. MSU has a strong biological and chemical science dept. and the students aren't entitled. And then there are the MSU students that go to UAB, UT-Memphis, South Alabama, and now LSU is about to open up a huge new medical center in New Orleans that will probably be quite attractive to all college students.

Todd4State
12-19-2014, 12:49 PM
Let's put it this way, I know that UMMC used to have only Ole Miss student tickets available for students at the Medical schools. Because of the large amount of MSU alums that go to the school, they gave them the option to buy MSU tickets also.

They'll offer Ole Miss single game tickets to employees if their football team sucks too. They were begging people to go to Northwestern State during the Nutt era I think it was.

Martianlander
12-22-2014, 12:16 PM

My daughter's class was heavy MSU. Bear in mind that there is technically no "pre-med" curriculum. You usually major in a science and go from there. My daughter's was micro-biology. I would put our science department up against any others.

dawgs
12-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Probably 75% of the biomed track in the bio engineering dept goes to Ned school. At least when I was in school. Some of my best friends were in that program and only 1 of them didn't go to Med school. He went to grad school instead.

SheltonChoked
12-22-2014, 02:39 PM
Exactly, 20 years ago when I graduated 75% of the ChemE grads at msu went to med school. Since ten they added a pre-med pre vet track in ChemE and in bio engineering.

Johnson85
12-22-2014, 05:13 PM

All that means is that chem-E and biological engineering are hard enough that the people that make it through are smart enough to get into medical school. There is some advantage in that you don't have the option of coasting and then finding out in medical school that you don't really know how to work or study hard.

But for the most part I would say the pecking order is:

Engineering - MSU by a large margin, but not a huge advantage in the job market b/c engineers are still in demand enough that you can get a job if you pass the FE. The biggest advantage is probably just the alumni network.
Accounting - Slight UM, but again, everybody can get a job with an accounting degree, but maybe a little help later on from the alumni netork.
Any other business major - Personal connections matter more than the name on the degree. Slightly Better off in Memphis with a UM degree? Slightly better off in Houston with an MSU degree maybe?
Any liberal arts other than history - probably better off at UM, but not so much that your job prospects are appreciably better. You can go teach or you better know somebody that will help you get a foot in the door.

If you want to be an engineer, go to MSU unless you have some personal connection that means you will just be much happier in Oxford (grew up going to the game, family there, like cocaine, etc).
If you want to go into accounting, go where you want and go to UM if it's a toss-up.
If you want to do any other business major, go where you want unless you have a particular business or area where you know the school has some connections.
If you want to do Liberal arts and you have good personal connections, go where you want.
If you want to do liberal arts and you don't have good personal connections, save yourself the tuition and go ahead and start working at Starbucks right out of high school rather than college, but do it in a college town (just kidding...sort of).

nashLA
12-22-2014, 05:16 PM
Can someone please help me out with the "'maroon' bra" reference?

Johnson85
12-23-2014, 09:19 AM
Can someone please help me out with the "'maroon' bra" reference?

"Those are some maroon tinted glasses you have there, bro(ther)."