PDA

View Full Version : Who did the bears sign yesterday to get an ESPN CFB cover story of being one

starkvegasdawg
12-18-2014, 08:49 AM
the winners of the JUCO NSD?

Now if they had signed the JUCO #1 offensive lineman and JUCO #1 WR I could maybe see that. But if memory serves me some other school in MS signed those guys.

Jack Lambert
12-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Ole Miss is going to win the media battle everytime.

defiantdog
12-18-2014, 08:57 AM
The flipped DJ Jones from FSU and Tony Bridges who was an Auburn commit. I wouldn't consider Chad Kelly a big get. And they got some OLB. I'm guessing that DJ Jones flip turned some heads so they made a story about it.

spiritual_machine2005
12-18-2014, 09:00 AM
The signed the #1 ranked JUCO qb. But if you look at 247 sports, there are only 5 juco qbs rated. Soooo...whatever. I guess he is better than what they got now.

engie
12-18-2014, 09:01 AM
They signed the #1 JUCO CB, the #1 JUCO DT, the #4 JUCO OLB, the #1 JUCO QB, and are in the mix for the #1 JUCO MLB that hasn't signed anywhere yet...They had a really good day yesterday as well...

MetEdDawg
12-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Both schools filled immediate needs yesterday. We needed an OT, DE, WR/KR/PR like Gray, and a hybrid LB like Jung. OM needed a QB, DT, CB, and OLB.

There are times where I have questioned us getting a couple of the JUCOs we got. Yesterday was not like that. We filled some immediate needs. Rankin will start day 1. Calvin won't start but will get PT day 1. Gray will get PT day 1. Jung probably won't start but he will get PT day 1 behind Zac Jack. Solid day by both schools filling immediate needs.

Jack Lambert
12-18-2014, 09:25 AM
They signed the #1 JUCO CB, the #1 JUCO DT, the #4 JUCO OLB, the #1 JUCO QB, and are in the mix for the #1 JUCO MLB that hasn't signed anywhere yet...They had a really good day yesterday as well...

But many times the #1 in JUCO gets you a 3 star. With all these Juco they are signing makes you wonder about the real talent level they have on the team now.

1bigdawg
12-18-2014, 09:31 AM
But many times the #1 in JUCO gets you a 3 star. With all these Juco they are signing makes you wonder about the real talent level they have on the team now.

D J Jones and Tony Bridges are elite talents and would get playing time for us next year. The jury is out on Kelly. We will see how he does but I don't think he has Bo's heart and may not have his level of talent. EMCC makes all their QBs look great. Caldwell, the LB they signed, may work out, but I don't believe we would have signed him given the opportunity even if we did not get Jung.

Still, it "looks great" to signed three players who were #1 in JUCO at their position and we all know how much they care about winning the recruiting perception.

Covercorner2
12-18-2014, 09:34 AM

The thread is about "winning" JUCO signing day, not about how good these guys will be in 2 years. When you sign 3 #1 players at their position, an article saying you "won" JUCO signing day is totally warranted. Just being real here...

starkvegasdawg
12-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Ok. I really didn't know who they got. Never looked the first time. so they got three #1's and we got 2 #1's. Considering we filled immediate needs and one of their guys is a mentally unstable thug rap star wanna be that just happens to play QB I'll take what we signed and be perfectly content.

ShotgunDawg
12-18-2014, 09:49 AM
The thread is about "winning" JUCO signing day, not about how good these guys will be in 2 years. When you sign 3 #1 players at their position, an article saying you "won" JUCO signing day is totally warranted. Just being real here...

Juco signing day is a lot like free agency in baseball. The more free agents you have to sign, the more you have to question you farm system and drafts. National signing day in Feb is different because your trying to accumulate talent, whereas JUCO signing day is about filling needs. The better you do on National signing day, usually the less you need to do on JUCO signing day.

So, at the end of the day, the winner of JUCO signing day isn't the team that accumulated the most talent, it's the team that most effectively addressed their needs in an effort to win next season.

You have to look at JUCO signing day differently.

dawgpound
12-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Both teams did very well addressing positions of need

thedawg
12-18-2014, 10:16 AM
For a long time conventional wisdom said that both us and them couldnt both be successful especially at the same time... We are both proving the experts wrong this year and continued to do so yesterday... We both had really really good days... Make no mistake I hate them and hope they dont win another game ever but it is comforting to see that they can have a good day in recruiting and so can we instead of an either other deal.. I expect us both to feel really good out about our days in February too

1bigdawg
12-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Juco signing day is a lot like free agency in baseball. The more free agents you have to sign, the more you have to question you farm system and drafts. National signing day in Feb is different because your trying to accumulate talent, whereas JUCO signing day is about filling needs. The better you do on National signing day, usually the less you need to do on JUCO signing day.

So, at the end of the day, the winner of JUCO signing day isn't the team that accumulated the most talent, it's the team that most effectively addressed their needs in an effort to win next season.

You have to look at JUCO signing day differently.

Sometimes JUCO signing day is an opportunity to bring in top tier talent regardless of need. Last year Alabama signed four JUCOs and they have been number 1 on national signing day most years. When Sherrill signed Dorsett Davis, Willie Blade and Golliday we were returning all of our defensive front, but the opportunity was too good to pass up.

ShotgunDawg
12-18-2014, 12:18 PM
Sometimes JUCO signing day is an opportunity to bring in top tier talent regardless of need. Last year Alabama signed four JUCOs and they have been number 1 on national signing day most years. When Sherrill signed Dorsett Davis, Willie Blade and Golliday we were returning all of our defensive front, but the opportunity was too good to pass up.

I definitely agree. Upgrading a position would definitely be a win.

HoopsDawg
12-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Both schools filled immediate needs yesterday. We needed an OT, DE, WR/KR/PR like Gray, and a hybrid LB like Jung. OM needed a QB, DT, CB, and OLB.

There are times where I have questioned us getting a couple of the JUCOs we got. Yesterday was not like that. We filled some immediate needs. Rankin will start day 1. Calvin won't start but will get PT day 1. Gray will get PT day 1. Jung probably won't start but he will get PT day 1 behind Zac Jack. Solid day by both schools filling immediate needs.

Just so you know, we didn't sign Jung yesterday. He will have to wait until Feb.