PDA

View Full Version : Rick Ray apparently isnt the answer

Coach34
12-17-2014, 11:43 PM
Now, let's preface this by saying- getting rid of Stands was the right thing to do. He was let go for off the court drama- not because he was only winning 20 games. He lost control of the program.

Now then- we ended up with Rick Ray. He was left with a hole of a program and dumpster fire to put out. That buys you some time to rebuild and get things going again. And he got that with 2 free years.

It's Year 3- and we are losing to Tulane and then Arkansas State at home by double digits. That is no longer acceptable. There arent any excuses for that. Not in Year 3. I had patience. I had an open mind to give you a chance. But not Arkansas State by 14 points at home in Year 3- no Sir.

CadaverDawg
12-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Mullen to MSU!*

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/531/11/6_3011531.JPG

mparkerfd20
12-17-2014, 11:54 PM
You don't say. It's about time you came around and tried to save face before it gets even worse.

Coach34
12-18-2014, 12:02 AM
The guy deserved a chance- he is proving now he is unable to do the job

mparkerfd20
12-18-2014, 12:07 AM
Agreed. I think several of us just had a shorter leash. The worst part this year is several bought back in after the St. Louis win only to see us take 4 steps back (and counting).

Apathy has reached Croomesque proportions at this point. Hopefully we make a similar Mullen-like hire this next go round in basketball.

GTHOM
12-18-2014, 12:11 AM
surely theres a small school coach somewhere, like a davidson, VCU, florida gulf coast type coach that we can get. this is the worst ive ever seen MSU basketball

Coach34
12-18-2014, 12:31 AM
surely theres a small school coach somewhere, like a davidson, VCU, florida gulf coast type coach that we can get. this is the worst ive ever seen MSU basketball

It's been worse. We lost to Delta State in the late 80's

Aces High
12-18-2014, 12:56 AM
Coaches first public admittance of wrong in 11 years. Congrats. Admitting is the first sign.

That said, dead on. I could expand on a lot of this but it doesnt matter.

It doesnt matter who we hire.

cheewgumm
12-18-2014, 01:02 AM
Hire A recruiter .

Step 1 get players
Step 2 get players
Step 3 get players
Step 4 play defense

Done and done.

Jacksondevildog
12-18-2014, 07:24 AM
Our basketball supporters need to get back on board with basketball once we hire a new coach. When Newman signs elsewhere, that will be the final death nail. When I mean supporters, I don't mean the damn crowd in the Hump.

DownwardDawg
12-18-2014, 08:09 AM
Our basketball supporters need to get back on board with basketball once we hire a new coach. When Newman signs elsewhere, that will be the final death nail. When I mean supporters, I don't mean the damn crowd in the Hump.

I agree. At this point, I imagine it would take quite a bit of "support" to get Newman to State.

shannondawg
12-18-2014, 08:22 AM
To my knowledge, Ray never talked to the one man that could have helped get him supporters in his court.

engie
12-18-2014, 08:35 AM
That could very well be a good thing now...

shannondawg
12-18-2014, 09:21 AM
You are wise beyond your years, Engie.

quickstrike2
12-18-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm all aboard on the having to can stans. However can we totally stop using the dumpster fire reference? Everybody knows it was bad for poor Rick Ray and he got two free years and during those the dumpster fire reference was used so many times in defense Ray and it was warranted. I think everyone agreed on that, but that is over.

TXDawg
12-18-2014, 09:28 AM
I'm all aboard on the having to can stans. However can we totally stop using the dumpster fire reference? Everybody knows it was bad for poor Rick Ray and he got two free years and during those the dumpster fire reference was used so many times in defense Ray and it was warranted. I think everyone agreed on that, but that is over.

To be fair, the program still appears to be a dumpster fire. Only it's Ray's dumpster fire now.

codeDawg
12-18-2014, 09:32 AM
I thought we were playing well enough that getting some talent would cover the gap, but then Tulane, then OSU and now this. He's not going to get it done and there is no sense belaboring it.

MetEdDawg
12-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Now, let's preface this by saying- getting rid of Stands was the right thing to do. He was let go for off the court drama- not because he was only winning 20 games. He lost control of the program.

Now then- we ended up with Rick Ray. He was left with a hole of a program and dumpster fire to put out. That buys you some time to rebuild and get things going again. And he got that with 2 free years.

It's Year 3- and we are losing to Tulane and then Arkansas State at home by double digits. That is no longer acceptable. There arent any excuses for that. Not in Year 3. I had patience. I had an open mind to give you a chance. But not Arkansas State by 14 points at home in Year 3- no Sir.

I was with you all the way. Thought he could get it done. Wanted to give him time. But I thought in year 3 we needed to start seeing some improvement. 4 straight losses with last night being the worst loss of his tenure here.

This seems to me to be very similar to the way Croom's 5 years played out. I think this year will be another bad year, but next year we would have 4 seniors and have a possibility to make the NIT (the equivalent of the Liberty Bowl) in year 4 just like Croom did in year 4. Then in year 5 we would get dominated again and Ray would have to go, again just like Croom.

Even though the legacy would be bad, the foundation would have been laid to bring in a new hire that can start from day 1 without any internal problems. Croom cleaned up Jackie's mess but we sucked on the field. Laid the groundwork for Mullen to be successful. Ray cleaned up Stansbury's mess, but we suck on the court. I think he too is laying the groundwork for someone else to come in here and be successful.

CadaverDawg
12-18-2014, 09:37 AM

Also, calling our program a dumpster fire is an insult to dumpster fires.*

Dawg22
12-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Agree

quickstrike2
12-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Also, calling our program a dumpster fire is an insult to dumpster fires.*

Ha, +1

shannondawg
12-18-2014, 10:46 AM
I have a picture of the crowd at tip off last night , but no way to upload it. Its very sad, and after last night, if possible the crowd will even be thinner for the next game.

If someone wants the picture, private message me your email and I will send it to you..

coastdoglover
12-18-2014, 11:21 AM
But of course we listed over 5,000 in attendance. That is embarrassing and is much like the crap we get from Obama. Tell the truth and move forward. Please Dear God get somebody who understands basketball and what it takes to win. I am sure Brady and his bar running buddy Richard Williams are already preparing a resume to come back. God help us!

I have a picture of the crowd at tip off last night , but no way to upload it. Its very sad, and after last night, if possible the crowd will even be thinner for the next game.

If someone wants the picture, private message me your email and I will send it to you..

bluelightstar
12-18-2014, 11:25 AM
But of course we listed over 5,000 in attendance. That is embarrassing and is much like the crap we get from Obama. Tell the truth and move forward. Please Dear God get somebody who understands basketball and what it takes to win. I am sure Brady and his bar running buddy Richard Williams are already preparing a resume to come back. God help us!

A completely necessary political reference there.

At any rate, I think 80$ of fans understand that we had to get rid of Stansbury -- but nobody could have predicted that Stricklin would make such an awful hire. I had literally never heard of Rick Ray, and I thought it was a joke. Especially since we announced the hire on April Fools Day.

shannondawg
12-18-2014, 11:58 AM
I now wish that Stansbury had accepted the conditions for his return and we would have had a couple more recruits, then if he couldn't right the ship, Stricklin could have at least started the process of hiring a coach with better credentials, and Stansbury supporters would have better understood the need for replacing him and would have bought into the new hire.

I keep seeing how terrible the SEC is in basketball with the exception of two teams and realize that we are picked last. And after last night , last -1.

Goat from MSU
12-18-2014, 01:23 PM
This is the best post I have seen so far .I almost started a thread yesterday that the next 6 games were in state and all we should win or If we lost a couple of those Ray should be gone at end of season. That loss last night seal his fate ,MSU needs to move on from this.If it takes 3 million to get a good coach do it.
I was with you all the way. Thought he could get it done. Wanted to give him time. But I thought in year 3 we needed to start seeing some improvement. 4 straight losses with last night being the worst loss of his tenure here.

This seems to me to be very similar to the way Croom's 5 years played out. I think this year will be another bad year, but next year we would have 4 seniors and have a possibility to make the NIT (the equivalent of the Liberty Bowl) in year 4 just like Croom did in year 4. Then in year 5 we would get dominated again and Ray would have to go, again just like Croom.

Even though the legacy would be bad, the foundation would have been laid to bring in a new hire that can start from day 1 without any internal problems. Croom cleaned up Jackie's mess but we sucked on the field. Laid the groundwork for Mullen to be successful. Ray cleaned up Stansbury's mess, but we suck on the court. I think he too is laying the groundwork for someone else to come in here and be successful.

Goat from MSU
12-18-2014, 01:27 PM
Shannondawg and Coastdoglover who would you guys want as next head coach .I want to know what you guys think. (I am not being funny either.)
I now wish that Stansbury had accepted the conditions for his return and we would have had a couple more recruits, then if he couldn't right the ship, Stricklin could have at least started the process of hiring a coach with better credentials, and Stansbury supporters would have better understood the need for replacing him and would have bought into the new hire.

I keep seeing how terrible the SEC is in basketball with the exception of two teams and realize that we are picked last. And after last night , last -1.

CJDAWG85
12-18-2014, 02:01 PM
The problem with Ray is his players don't respect him as a coach. He tries to hard to be their friend or one of the guys. He needs to be an asshole at times and get their attention. It's pretty clear that even the veteran guys on the floor don't have a clue what they are doing.

RougeDawg
12-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Agreed. I think several of us just had a shorter leash. The worst part this year is several bought back in after the St. Louis win only to see us take 4 steps back (and counting).

Apathy has reached Croomesque proportions at this point. Hopefully we make a similar Mullen-like hire this next go round in basketball.

I don't think it was us having a short leash. I, and many others on here, noticed from day one that Ray was inept and unqualified for a SEC head coaching gig. As I pointed out last year, he doesn't come across as the brightest bulb in the box when he speaks, to which I was reamed on here. I turned on last night just at the end of halftime to catch the RR miked up portion. Something about his tone and tense just does not allude "Head Coach" to me and I'm sure it's one reason his players play with little enthusiasm or sense or urgency. I know it cannot help him on the recruiting trail, and his track record does nothing to prover otherwise.

He's gone after this year, and Stricklin's position will hinge on this next BBALL hire.

Ralph
12-18-2014, 02:40 PM
I wish the Ninja were here to solve this. I don't think that MF'r has ever made a bad coaching hire.

shannondawg
12-18-2014, 05:47 PM
To be honest I have no idea, that is way above my pay grade. But I certainly wouldn't as some yahoos said hire "not to win, but to clean up the program like we did with Croom" That was a crock of shit , he wasn't hired to clean up the program, he was hired to win and that includes whatever is necessary to do that, just as Ray was. Any AD that would even think that way would be selling used cars pretty darn quick.

Shannondawg and Coastdoglover who would you guys want as next head coach .I want to know what you guys think. (I am not being funny either.)

Dawgcentral
12-18-2014, 07:08 PM
Stansbury had to go. He dug his own hole.

Ray was a bad hire. Anyone on this board could "clean up the program" while losing at the same time.

Stricklin needs to be looking at his list and checking it twice. Ray has failed to get the job done.

HailState39110
12-18-2014, 07:35 PM
4 straight losses with last night being the worst loss of his tenure here

Most forget in Ray's first year we lost at home to SWAC cellar dweller Alabama A&M.I would rate this as the 2nd worst loss of his tenure

Lossing to a SWAC team>losing to a Sun Belt team

coastdoglover
12-18-2014, 08:40 PM
I am not sure who we should hire. I understand the not hiring of Kenny Payne but in hindsight it could have been no worse. We have probably lost over 2 million since Ray was hired.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how much we have lost at the gate and the added extra fees for seat privileges is significant.
I would have more faith in Byrne and I believe his dad helped us get Schaefer. The fact we are clueless and I am afraid marketing doesn't have a thing to do with evaluating what a good coach is. We had a great recruiter which certain members said wasn't good enough. I am pretty sure that guy had us selling over 9000 season tickets a year and even in the last year with all the bad press with Sydney, we competed. Sydney was gone no matter who took over, so that saga was over. Shannondawg's post made sense but it is history so no use debating it anymore. We are now the laughing stock of the SEC and it will take a home run to bring us back.

ha

ma
t

mcdawg
12-18-2014, 10:53 PM
The guy deserved a chance- he is proving now he is unable to do the job

He was never going to be able to do the job. You don't go from a nobody that has no ties to the area to the answer. This was very easy to predict.