PDA

View Full Version : Post game

msstate7
12-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Let's fire ray. Shut down the program for the rest of the year. I don't care if we have 1 player back. Hire another guy and start over. Why I continue to watch this crap is beyond me.

HoopsDawg
12-17-2014, 08:52 PM
The death penalty wouldn't set us back much further. Thanks Coach34.

Let's hire Kenny fckn Payne and go UNLV on that ass.

Liverpooldawg
12-17-2014, 08:53 PM
We already self inflicted the death penalty. It will take at least a decade to recover from it. This is want, year three?

msstate7
12-17-2014, 08:56 PM
We pay ray what a million a year? Seriously just quit basketball all together and put that million toward Ed o and bill clark as co DC's

AlmostPositive
12-17-2014, 08:58 PM
This last three years of MSU basketball has been the most joyless stretch I can think of in any sport. Stansbury's lowest points were more entertaining than this shit. If State finishes the year playing like this, Ray has to go.

HoopsDawg
12-17-2014, 08:59 PM
We pay ray what a million a year? Seriously just quit basketball all together and put that million toward Ed o and bill clark as co DC's

I'm still pissed at stricklin for paying him a million a year when he could have gotten him for 250K and a pack of now-a-laters. He could have used the extra cash for football assistants or the Dudy Noble fund.

engie
12-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Let the year play out and fire him at the end of it if this path continues....

Go ahead and have feelers out now, while floating huge $$ numbers....

Outside Dawg
12-17-2014, 09:01 PM
I changed the channel in the first few minutes of the 2nd half.

HoopsDawg
12-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Let the year play out and fire him at the end of it if this path continues....

Go ahead and have feelers out now, while floating huge $$ numbers....

But what about Cohen engie? Don't you remember Cohen.

engie
12-17-2014, 09:11 PM

Cohen had a lowpoint like this in year 3... But he fought his way out of it. Ray still has the same chance.

It's funny that after all the arguing about Cohen and all the paragraphs I wrote explaining the matter -- you still never understood my point.

HoopsDawg
12-17-2014, 09:13 PM
Cohen had a lowpoint like this in year 3... But he fought his way out of it. Ray still has the same chance.

It's funny that after all the arguing about Cohen and all the paragraphs I wrote explaining the matter -- you still never understood my point.

Yeah, I'm the one who doesn't get it.****************************

engie
12-17-2014, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I'm the one who doesn't get it.****************************

Obviously.

The point was "year 3 tells the tale". Even after 39490283409823 times explaining that -- you still didn't get it.

Smitty
12-17-2014, 09:16 PM
Hire Vic Schaefer!

defiantdog
12-17-2014, 09:21 PM
I honestly hope Ray makes it to the end of the year. Our guys will get better, but tonight was a joke. I have a bad feeling Stricklin may be forced to make a drastic decision before the season is over. Boosters can really make an AD make some difficult decisions.

quickstrike2
12-17-2014, 09:21 PM
I do hope in year 3 accountability is finally here for the defenders, my gosh at the shit show of our program right now. We had to can stans but damn what a failure of a hire we made.

Sorry it's just frustrating trying to be a basketball fan right now.

quickstrike2
12-17-2014, 09:23 PM
I honestly hope Ray makes it to the end of the year. Our guys will get better, but tonight was a joke. I have a bad feeling Stricklin may be forced to make a drastic decision before the season is over. Boosters can really make an AD make some difficult decisions.

After loses to Tulane, Oregon state, and ark state I don't know how we will be better. It's year 3 and it's the same as year 1.

engie
12-17-2014, 09:26 PM
I do hope in year 3 accountability is finally here for the defenders, my gosh at the shit show of our program right now. We had to can stans but damn what a failure of a hire we made.

Sorry it's just frustrating trying to be a basketball fan right now.

No one is defending him now. Literally no one. This was his chance -- and he's failing in epic fashion...

quickstrike2
12-17-2014, 09:34 PM
No one is defending him now. Literally no one. This was his chance -- and he's failing in epic fashion...

I know.. I just hate it for the program.

maroonkoolaid
12-17-2014, 09:36 PM
Our basketball program is simply embarrassing. I would like us to give Slick Rick the mid season boot so he can enjoy his colt 45 and southern comfort far away from the Hump. Moving forward I would like to see how Antigua does at USF as well as Kenny Payne. Never been more embarrassed as a State hoops fan. Refusing to do anything about this situation is just ignorance from our Athletic Department.

HailState39110
12-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Tough pill to swallow about the state of our bball program for everyone who has tried to defend this shit for the past 3 years. The team that just treated us like a little bitch lost to Lamar and UT Martin at home this year and also lost an exhibition game to Div II Southern Arkansas .

I have better things to do with my time so this will be my last post about MSU basketball . I'm out

I seen it dawg
12-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Our basketball program is simply embarrassing. I would like us to give Slick Rick the mid season boot so he can enjoy his colt 45 and southern comfort far away from the Hump. Moving forward I would like to see how Antigua does at USF as well as Kenny Payne. Never been more embarrassed as a State hoops fan. Refusing to do anything about this situation is just ignorance from our Athletic Department.

Then you must have enjoyed the shitshow in Hawaii

LC Dawg
12-17-2014, 09:51 PM
I understand everyone being pissed and embarrassed in regards to our basketball program but right now the only feeling I have is sadness. I am sad that we have reached this much of a low. I'm sad that the current students don't know how much fun it is to go to a game when the Hump is rocking. I used to drive seven hours roundtrip on a weeknight to watch us play. I was proud of our program and it just makes me extremely sad to see where we are. I don't know what the answer is but we need to find it soon.

maroonkoolaid
12-17-2014, 10:11 PM
Tried to erase that one from my memory

coastdoglover
12-17-2014, 10:43 PM
Yes, we know that. It happened 3 years ago and look at us now. I don't give a shit how bad it looked in a year where we let one player cause problems and had an embarrassing fight on national tv. We still won over 20 games and won against a good Arizona team in New York. The people who screamed the loudest got their wish and now we are stuck with the worst mess MSU has had in basketball in decades. Forget Newman, that is all fluff to try and buy time, but the few fans who were still going regularly, were going simply to keep their priorities in seating. Before too long, they won't be there either. Watch what we put in the paper tomorrow for attendance, probably 4 to 5000. There wasn't 1000 fans there tonight. Meanwhile, Texas A&M has the number 2 class in America because we let a few people run off the best coach MSU has ever had.

TheRef
12-17-2014, 11:11 PM
Yes, we know that. It happened 3 years ago and look at us now. I don't give a shit how bad it looked in a year where we let one player cause problems and had an embarrassing fight on national tv. We still won over 20 games and won against a good Arizona team in New York. The people who screamed the loudest got their wish and now we are stuck with the worst mess MSU has had in basketball in decades. Forget Newman, that is all fluff to try and buy time, but the few fans who were still going regularly, were going simply to keep their priorities in seating. Before too long, they won't be there either. Watch what we put in the paper tomorrow for attendance, probably 4 to 5000. There wasn't 1000 fans there tonight. Meanwhile, Texas A&M has the number 2 class in America because we let a few people run off the best coach MSU has ever had.

If you can't look at the shithole that Stansbury put us in and not say "yes...we should have fired him" then you're delusional. I love MSU basketball just as much, if not more, than most people on this board. This shithole that we are in now is all on Ray. I still say we give him until the end of the season for him to try and turn this around. If he doesn't put out, he's gone in my mind. I'm all for giving someone their fair shake, but Ray is done in my mind.

Todd4State
12-17-2014, 11:28 PM

Cohen also had a track record of success- including a pattern at Kentucky where he had two "down years" at the beginning before having a good deal of success once he got his players in the program. When a coach has that, it's easier to be patient because there is some evidence to go by.

Todd4State
12-17-2014, 11:31 PM

Yeah- Stansbury is totally unreplaceable.**

THAT'S the problem. It's not that Stansbury is so incredibly awesome. We replaced him with a worse coach. That's doesn't mean we couldn't have replaced with him with someone better. It means Scott screwed up.

HancockCountyDog
12-17-2014, 11:37 PM

THAT'S the problem. It's not that Stansbury is so incredibly awesome. We replaced him with a worse coach. That's doesn't mean we couldn't have replaced with him with someone better. It means Scott screwed up.

I think it also says that if you are basically tired of all the off the court incidents, then you should love the Ray hire. There have been zero off the court incidents. His players have been church mice.

Since that is all that mattered three years ago, why the uproar ? We didn't care about W/L we wanted a new sheriff. Well congrats. I think Ray has proven that People may have taken for granted what Stans was able to do in the SeC, which was be nationally relevant, something only Kentucky and Florida have been since he left. It's not easy to win 20+ games in the SEC. Ray and several other coaches are proving that every day.

HoopsDawg
12-17-2014, 11:42 PM
Cohen also had a track record of success- including a pattern at Kentucky where he had two "down years" at the beginning before having a good deal of success once he got his players in the program. When a coach has that, it's easier to be patient because there is some evidence to go by.

Believe me, I know. That post was tongue in cheek for engie.

Coach34
12-17-2014, 11:48 PM

This is the correct answer

Let's remember- I was for the Kenny Payne hire- not RR. I just decided to give Ray a chance

ScottH
12-18-2014, 12:02 AM
The problem is not Stansbury was let go.

The problem is the subsequent hire appears to be a failure.

The two are mutually exclusive events despite what Stansbury supporters would have you believe.

I believe Ray is trying his best. His best currently falls short of what we need.

The blame, if you must place some, goes to the hiring process.

Todd4State
12-18-2014, 12:11 AM
I think it also says that if you are basically tired of all the off the court incidents, then you should love the Ray hire. There have been zero off the court incidents. His players have been church mice.

Since that is all that mattered three years ago, why the uproar ? We didn't care about W/L we wanted a new sheriff. Well congrats. I think Ray has proven that People may have taken for granted what Stans was able to do in the SeC, which was be nationally relevant, something only Kentucky and Florida have been since he left. It's not easy to win 20+ games in the SEC. Ray and several other coaches are proving that every day.

Winning on the court and having a product that represents MSU well is ALL part of the job. I remember when that fight occurred in Hawaii. People at work- all pretty much know I am a MSU alum- were coming up and asking me about that more than anything else MSU has ever done outside of when we went on our run in Omaha. It was an incredibly embarrassing moment for MSU.

And how did Stansbury handle it? He wasn't even going to send the players home. SCOTT had to MAKE HIM send them home. That's totally unacceptable.

That said, winning is part of it. I didn't read a ton of the Stansbury threads because they usually got to be incredibly long and annoying. But in the ones I did read, I don't remember anyone saying that they wanted someone who didn't win. In fact, I remember seeing people that wanted Stansbury gone because he wasn't a great floor coach in hopes that we would win more.

Now did people say that they would rather lose than deal with the garbage in Hawaii? Probably. And honestly, yes, I would rather lose to Arkansas State than have the entire University embarrassed too. Especially knowing that we can replace Ray and find someone that can do the seemingly impossible task of both winning and not embarrassing the University. Yeah- let's go to the NIT at the expense of MSU.

And I don't know how nationally relevant we were in basketball? Two years with Lawrence Roberts? We were the poster boys for the NIT.

Bothrops
12-18-2014, 01:26 AM

The two are mutually exclusive events despite what Stansbury supporters would have you believe.

I believe Ray is trying his best. His best currently falls short of what we need.

This is entirely correct. ^

KB21
12-18-2014, 01:42 AM
It is hilarious that I keep seeing Kenny Payne's name mentioned, but he's still an assistant at Kentucky. If he's so great, why isn't he a head coach by now? He hasn't even been offered a job at a mid major. Yet, apparently Mississippi State should hire him solely due to his connections with World Wide Wes and Nike.

KB21
12-18-2014, 01:44 AM
If you can't look at the shithole that Stansbury put us in and not say "yes...we should have fired him" then you're delusional. I love MSU basketball just as much, if not more, than most people on this board. This shithole that we are in now is all on Ray. I still say we give him until the end of the season for him to try and turn this around. If he doesn't put out, he's gone in my mind. I'm all for giving someone their fair shake, but Ray is done in my mind.

This. Rick Stansbury lost control of the program and should have been fired 3 years before it got to the point it did.

KB21
12-18-2014, 01:47 AM

I disagree that Ray is a worse coach. Rick Stansbury was a great recruiter, but from a schematic standpoint and x's and o's standpoint, he sucked. Stan Jones was the guy handling the x's and o's during Rick's most successful years.

Rick Ray is far better schematically and from an x's and o's standpoint. He just can't get the players he needs to make it work.

KB21
12-18-2014, 01:51 AM

No it shouldn't. Scott offered the job to Steve Prohm and offered $1.8 million to get him here, and Prohm TURNED IT DOWN because of the shape of the program at that time. Bryce Drew was also not interested in the job.

dawgs
12-18-2014, 03:38 AM

I think you've never understood the point that cohen was a proven high quality commodity that earned our trust before he stepped on campus. Whereas ray was a bad hire, thus heightening skepticism, and still has never done anything to prove and skeptics wrong.

I seen it dawg
12-18-2014, 07:03 AM

It had to be cleaned up because your boy ran it into the ground letting the inmates run the asylum. Just like when Croom was made a bad hire so was Ray. But at least the guy put out the damn dumpster fire stains caused. Now we just have to fix the floor product which is the easiest part.

I seen it dawg
12-18-2014, 07:11 AM
I disagree that Ray is a worse coach. Rick Stansbury was a great recruiter, but from a schematic standpoint and x's and o's standpoint, he sucked. Stan Jones was the guy handling the x's and o's during Rick's most successful years.

Rick Ray is far better schematically and from an x's and o's standpoint. He just can't get the players he needs to make it work.

Hmmmmm....sounds like if EVERYBODY that was helping the program would quit being pissed their boy got canned and get behind the PROGRAM then maybe it could turn around. Sorry butthurt selfish ****ers you are getting what you want. And you can go **** yourselves.

Looking straight at you and your crew coastdoglover

engie
12-18-2014, 08:06 AM
I think you've never understood the point that cohen was a proven high quality commodity that earned our trust before he stepped on campus. Whereas ray was a bad hire, thus heightening skepticism, and still has never done anything to prove and skeptics wrong.

I got all that. Said such 2909083432 times.

His amount of "provenness" could NOT have less to do with the point. Which you obviously never got either.

blacklistedbully
12-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Let's not forget that we were having a lot of trouble getting anyone to even take the job. Ray was not our first choice, he was just the first who didn't take a look at our mess and say, "No thanks!"

I seen it dawg
12-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Oh shit no don't remind anyone of that.