PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Orgeron smoke being blown around....

CadaverDawg
12-17-2014, 05:50 PM
I'm somewhat torn on whether Ed O is a great fit for us. That being said, we know he will boost our recruiting in a big way, but he may lack a little in the X's and O's department. IF that is true, and his recruiting will far outweigh his strategizing.....do you see that as a positive or negative? Just wanting to get a feel for where our fanbase stands on this. Is the gain in recruiting worth the hypothetical loss in X's and O's?

I say yes. The reason why is because I didn't feel we best utilized our talent under Collins this season, plus we would have Eddie surrounded by guys like Turner, Hughes, and Mullen that have experience and can assist.

Not to mention, if Collins is as good of a recruiter as we all seem to think....we could be in danger of taking a downturn in recruiting with his loss next year. Even more reason O could be a good fit.

I'm not blind to the fact that there is the personality factor, the never been a DC factor, and the rough around the edges factor.....so it will be interesting to see if we roll the dice with a guy that isn't your typical MSU hire. This is a press conference winner that could take us to new heights in recruiting....or it could blow up in our face.

We may not ever find out, but I'm just speaking hypothetically. Thoughts?

Todd4State
12-17-2014, 06:03 PM
My immediate thought is who coaches LB's?

And if Orgeron didn't call plays, what kind of style of defense are we looking at?

I do think he is more mature after having been at Ole Miss and being the head coach at USC.

I think getting Orgeron probably means that we have to let Turner go. I do think it would help in recruiting- especially in Louisiana, Memphis, and California.

If it were me, and I hired Coach O, I would let Turner go and help him find a job and then hire Lance Thompson from Alabama as the LB's coach.

State82
12-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Man, I'm just torn on that whole deal. I don't think it's a big possibility but stranger things have happened. I would love to have his recruiting prowess but all the rest of the stuff you mentioned makes me somewhat uneasy. I just don't know.

Raytoraid83
12-17-2014, 06:09 PM
My immediate thought is who coaches LB's?

And if Orgeron didn't call plays, what kind of style of defense are we looking at?

I do think he is more mature after having been at Ole Miss and being the head coach at USC.

I think getting Orgeron probably means that we have to let Turner go. I do think it would help in recruiting- especially in Louisiana, Memphis, and California.

If it were me, and I hired Coach O, I would let Turner go and help him find a job and then hire Lance Thompson from Alabama as the LB's coach.

Turner use to coach lbs. If coach O did happen I would think he would take over DL and Turner would move to lb. I think if you can get a coach like Orgeron on staff, you make it happen...

Todd4State
12-17-2014, 06:10 PM
Interesting interview from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_aNjCSdNPg

EAVdog
12-17-2014, 06:11 PM
Collins was a very good recruiter, not a great recruiter, and not an elite recruiter by any means. I think he was great at connecting with the young player though. He did a good job in Alabama and we won some battles head to head against Auburn/Bama but mainly we poached players they didn't have room for. His greatest claim to fame was the 'You're a Baller' note to Marlon Humphrey, which was cool but he signed with Bama.

Ogeron wouldn't be a bad hire, if he did a great job he'd be gone in a year or two though. Which hasn't been that big of a deal to be honest.

Todd4State
Turner use to coach lbs. If coach O did happen I would think he would take over DL and Turner would move to lb. I think if you can get a coach like Orgeron on staff, you make it happen...

I would be OK with Turner staying on.

Raytoraid83

There have been rumblings of Deshea and Turner moving on to new jobs as well though. Just like Leo's recruitment, who knows at this point though.

HoopsDawg
12-17-2014, 06:13 PM
To have a guy with head coaching experience at Ole Miss and USC running your defense would be a great thing. He understands what it takes to win in the SEC.

He is an elite recruiter. Somebody once said it's not about the Xs and Os, it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

The players would love him and I understand he changed his style after the OM experience.

He would coach his ass off for 2 years b/c I know he wants to be a head coach again.

He could easily coach LB's. A good coach can coach any position and I think you want your D-coordinator working with the LB's. Much like you want your O-coordinator working with the QB.

I don't really see it happening, but I would love it.

EAVdog
12-17-2014, 06:14 PM
I don't think you let Turner go, he's a good recruiter as well and a very good coach. Unless they get a lot more cash and can seriously start poaching other folks staffs. Mullen has been limited in who he can hire. He hasn't been able to really steal other coaches very often, particularly for position coaches. We got Turner after Kentucky cleaned house, and it was a great pick up. But we didn't go in and steal really any of our current staff.

engie
12-17-2014, 06:18 PM
You don't use a defensive coordinator spot on a recruiter IMO. I'd love to have him on staff -- but there's GOT to be a reason a guy that's been around 20 years and made more $$ than any assistant we have -- who has twice been a head coach -- has NEVER been a defensive playcaller.

Now -- if you want to make him "co-dc" and DL coach -- and hire a real DC as linebackers coach -- I'm ALL for that...

Todd4State
12-17-2014, 06:38 PM
I don't think you let Turner go, he's a good recruiter as well and a very good coach. Unless they get a lot more cash and can seriously start poaching other folks staffs. Mullen has been limited in who he can hire. He hasn't been able to really steal other coaches very often, particularly for position coaches. We got Turner after Kentucky cleaned house, and it was a great pick up. But we didn't go in and steal really any of our current staff.

My thing is I don't know how attached Turner is to coaching d-line. I'm wondering if Orgeron came aboard if there would be some natural conflict right off the bat. And it might work out OK if Turner is willing to switch position roles.

Really Clark?
12-17-2014, 06:40 PM
You can't trade off X's and O's coaching for a recruiter at the DC position. It's too vital and you have to have someone who can scheme. At best with Coach O you can name him a Co-DC and someone else call plays and game plan. You could see what he is about when you have him on staff but let's not forget that Carroll never promoted him to DC and when Monte left Lane brought in Pendergrast (sp?) to be the DC. At some point everyone needs to realize that there is a reason that people who work closely with him continue to pass the DC position on to someone else. Miami, USC, Tenn., back to USC they have never handed the reigns to him. He is NOT a DC at this point and to experiment with this idea in the SEC West would be way way too risky. Let him be a DC at a lower school to prove he can do it but not in the SEC. Now in another capacity on our staff, great.

HoopsDawg
12-17-2014, 06:42 PM
My thing is I don't know how attached Turner is to coaching d-line. I'm wondering if Orgeron came aboard if there would be some natural conflict right off the bat. And it might work out OK if Turner is willing to switch position roles.

You don't want your D-coordinator to also be your D-line coach. No school in the SEC has this setup. And it didn't work with Chris Wilson either.

MSUDawg4Life
12-17-2014, 06:43 PM
I'm not sure we want to take a chance on finding out why Orgeron has never been a coordinator.

As far as recruiting goes, recruiting kids to southern California is one thing. I wasn't really impressed with his recruiting classes at OM.

Dawgowar
12-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Think some are missing another possibility - Collins is taking Turner and Deshea with him but contractually cannot until the season ends. Then hiring O to be DL and recruiting coordinator and adding new staff members would make sense. New DC may already know about this but is also under contract.

Frankly if VT is about to lose some of their defensive staff we need to get in line for any of them.

Todd4State
12-17-2014, 06:47 PM
You can't trade off X's and O's coaching for a recruiter at the DC position. It's too vital and you have to have someone who can scheme. At best with Coach O you can name him a Co-DC and someone else call plays and game plan. You could see what he is about when you have him on staff but let's not forget that Carroll never promoted him to DC and when Monte left Lane brought in Pendergrast (sp?) to be the DC. At some point everyone needs to realize that there is a reason that people who work closely with him continue to pass the DC position on to someone else. Miami, USC, Tenn., back to USC they have never handed the reigns to him. He is NOT a DC at this point and to experiment with this idea in the SEC West would be way way too risky. Let him be a DC at a lower school to prove he can do it but not in the SEC. Now in another capacity on our staff, great.

With Carroll, that was his defense no matter what. Even moreso than Alabama's defense is Saban's.

With Kiffen, he hired his Dad. So, having Coach O as DC could have been awkward. Plus, at that time, I think Coach O had been burned from the Ole Miss job and maybe just wanted to kind of rebuild his career to a degree. And he went back to what I think he truly loved, which was recruiting.

I think him being at USC recharged his batteries so to speak.

Todd4State
12-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Think some are missing another possibility - Collins is taking Turner and Deshea with him but contractually cannot until the season ends. Then hiring O to be DL and recruiting coordinator and adding new staff members would make sense. New DC may already know about this but is also under contract.

Frankly if VT is about to lose some of their defensive staff we need to get in line for any of them.

This is a good point.

TXDawg
12-17-2014, 06:49 PM
I don't want Orgeron. Seems like too much of a retread. That's not what MSU Football is about anymore.

Seems almost like Sherill hiring Joe Lee Dunn.

Really Clark?
12-17-2014, 06:53 PM
With Carroll, that was his defense no matter what. Even moreso than Alabama's defense is Saban's.

With Kiffen, he hired his Dad. So, having Coach O as DC could have been awkward. Plus, at that time, I think Coach O had been burned from the Ole Miss job and maybe just wanted to kind of rebuild his career to a degree. And he went back to what I think he truly loved, which was recruiting.

I think him being at USC recharged his batteries so to speak.

Carroll still had a DC and it wasn't O. And like I said Monte, Lane's dad, left and Lane brought someone else in instead of just promoting O. There is a reason no one has ever given him play calling responsibility.

Todd4State
12-17-2014, 06:57 PM
Carroll still had a DC and it wasn't O. And like I said Monte, Lane's dad, left and Lane brought someone else in instead of just promoting O. There is a reason no one has ever given him play calling responsibility.

This all makes me wonder if we're going after Clancy Pendergast. He has MSU ties, and ties to Orgeron. Pendergast is also out of work right now.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/usc-trojans-nfl-clancy-pendergast-next-coaching-job-120914

Dawgface
12-17-2014, 06:59 PM
None of us really know what kind of dc he might make. Its all speculation on our part. But if Mullen goes this route, I'm fine with it.

MSUDawg4Life
12-17-2014, 07:01 PM
This all makes me wonder if we're going after Clancy Pendergast. He has MSU ties, and ties to Orgeron. Pendergast is also out of work right now.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/usc-trojans-nfl-clancy-pendergast-next-coaching-job-120914

Hmmm.

Single. No wife and kids. Waiting to build his next dominant defense. Was here under Jackie ....

Sheesh.

I hope Mullen knows about this guy.

engie
12-17-2014, 07:04 PM
Randy Shannon - DC/LB coach
Ed Orgeron - Co-DC/DL coach/Co-RecruitingCoordinator
Keep Tony Hughes as S coach/Asst Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator

Hire a Special Teams coach. There are several we should be able to pull from this list.
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20141218-dlsj-48kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20141218-dlsj-48kb)

woozman
12-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Collins was a very good recruiter, not a great recruiter, and not an elite recruiter by any means. I think he was great at connecting with the young player though. He did a good job in Alabama and we won some battles head to head against Auburn/Bama but mainly we poached players they didn't have room for. His greatest claim to fame was the 'You're a Baller' note to Marlon Humphrey, which was cool but he signed with Bama.

Ogeron wouldn't be a bad hire, if he did a great job he'd be gone in a year or two though. Which hasn't been that big of a deal to be honest.

How would you categorize Coach O recruiting wise? I'd say great to elite.

deltadawg99
12-17-2014, 07:16 PM
I want to keep the staff in tact as much as possible.

Really Clark?
12-17-2014, 07:22 PM

It wouldn't be a bad hire at all. He may be always be looking for an NFL gig tho.

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2014, 07:26 PM
I'm not typically a fan of hiring defensive line coaches as defensive coordinators. For the same reasons that catchers usually make the best baseball managers, I believe LB coaches and secondary coaches usually make the best defensive coordinators.

D line play with much of the defensive scheme to their back, while LBs and the secondary plays while looking at the entire scheme. Therefore, I feel that that usually have a more instinctive view of the bigger picture.

Pollodawg
12-17-2014, 07:49 PM
You don't use a defensive coordinator spot on a recruiter IMO. I'd love to have him on staff -- but there's GOT to be a reason a guy that's been around 20 years and made more $$ than any assistant we have -- who has twice been a head coach -- has NEVER been a defensive playcaller.

Now -- if you want to make him "co-dc" and DL coach -- and hire a real DC as linebackers coach -- I'm ALL for that...

Nailed it. You don't waste that kind of money and that important of a position on the staff for a recruiter. And I don't think Ed would come here unless we made him HCIW or gave him some serious perks and dough.

1bigdawg
12-17-2014, 09:55 PM

Hire a Special Teams coach.

I am all for hiring a special teams coach, but the offense has five coaches plus Mullen. The defense has four. We need at least that many on defense. While none of us expect Mullen to let one of the offesive coaches move to the office to hire a special teams coach, we know that is what needs to happen.

Westdawg
12-17-2014, 10:08 PM
I would hire Clancy Pendergast in a New York second!!!!!
I honestly had no idea this guy was even available. My number 1 choice right now and it's not even close. And he may bring Eddie O with him. Fine with me. Oh. My. Goodness.

blacklistedbully
12-17-2014, 10:22 PM
As someone else said, recruiting to USC is easy. As far as O's success recruiting at TSUN & Tn, let's not discount how much "all-in" boosters may have played, particularly at TSUN.

I'd much, much rather get a quality DC over a recruiter masquerading as a DC. Especially since, what has worked for us lately has been, not a guy who can pull 4 & 5 star recruits nationally, but a staff that has been really good at finding & developing local, under-the-radar in-state guys that are willing to work-hard to improve and earn their spot.

Covercorner2
12-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Pendergast would be a home run

blacklistedbully
12-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Pendergast would be a home run

As a DC. but from what I've read, he's a terrible recruiter. If we could continue to mine our small Mississippi schools for diamonds-in-the-rough, then he'd probably be a terrific fit. Otherwise, he seems like the kind that needs to be surrounded by a great recruiting team, or be at a school like USC that damn near recruits itself.

bulldawg28
12-17-2014, 10:48 PM

Hire him now!!!!

CadaverDawg
12-17-2014, 10:51 PM
Didn't know Pendergrast was sitting at the house. Hire him yesterday

TrapGame
12-17-2014, 11:04 PM

Wow. This would be a HUGE hire.

Offer 1.8? Maybe 2 mil with that kind of resume?

Pollodawg
12-17-2014, 11:12 PM
Didn't know Pendergrast was sitting at the house. Hire him yesterday

If he don't at least get a call, it's a crime.

Todd4State
12-17-2014, 11:14 PM

Hire a Special Teams coach. There are several we should be able to pull from this list.
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20141218-dlsj-48kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20141218-dlsj-48kb)

I've wanted James Shibest, the SC coordinator and TE coach at Memphis for awhile. He's also a top notch recruiter as well.

Todd4State
12-17-2014, 11:15 PM
Wow. This would be a HUGE hire.

Offer 1.8? Maybe 2 mil with that kind of resume?

If he's sitting at home right now, I bet we could get him for less.

Todd4State
12-17-2014, 11:16 PM
It wouldn't be a bad hire at all. He may be always be looking for an NFL gig tho.

At least it wouldn't be a lateral move.

GreenheadDawg
12-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Pendergast would be huge. I'm shocked nobody has hired him. I really hope Mullen called this guy yesterday

MSUDawg4Life
12-18-2014, 12:17 AM
If he don't at least get a call, it's a crime.

Yep. At least see if he's interested. Let him tell you no. To not even contact him would be irresponsible.

deltadawg99
12-18-2014, 12:20 AM
Can Pendergast recruit? Looks like a great Xs and Os hire, but I haven't heard anything about him as a recruiter.

Todd4State
12-18-2014, 12:22 AM
This is an interesting video that I found. It's Orgeron and he talks about how the defense was run when he was with Carroll and how it would be (it was a pre-season video) run with him and Pendergast. It may give some insight on Coach O's play calling ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2iEgUwil1Q

Todd4State
12-18-2014, 12:23 AM
Can Pendergast recruit? Looks like a great Xs and Os hire, but I haven't heard anything about him as a recruiter.

If we got Coach O with Pendergast, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm like engie though- I'd rather our coordinators be great at X's and O's. If they're a good recruiter it's a bonus.

msstate7
12-18-2014, 07:09 AM
We need to go all in with this hire...

I love coach turner, but we need Ed O's ability to get players here. Thank turner for his service and let him announce he's "leaving" us for another program. Name Ed O as the dline/recruiting cood.

Get Pendergast or bill clark as DC/lb coach.

We're gonna have to pay these guys, but it'll be worth it. We need to give Dan some big time coaches to help him get over the hump.

War Machine Dawg
12-18-2014, 11:56 AM
Great Jimmys & Joes make Great Xs and Os. Bring on O. And this concern about O being able to scheme a D is laughable. The man has been a HC TWICE and was clearly improved during his second stint. He may not be immediately great, but he has the drive to want to be great. That counts for something.

blacklistedbully
12-18-2014, 11:58 AM

Already answered earlier. His rep is that he hates recruiting.

Really Clark?
12-18-2014, 01:27 PM
Great Jimmys & Joes make Great Xs and Os. Bring on O. And this concern about O being able to scheme a D is laughable. The man has been a HC TWICE and was clearly improved during his second stint. He may not be immediately great, but he has the drive to want to be great. That counts for something.

Yeah the problem is we play in a division with teams that have both elite talent and coaching. So the jimmy's and joes philosophy only works when you can outclass your opponents in talent. Like Bama during the Bear days. When the best you can do is match them in talent you had better to be able to scheme. And at DC it's X's and O's first. Then what they can bring in recruiting.

defiantdog
12-18-2014, 02:03 PM
I'd much rather have Bill Clark than Coach O. I think he fits the MSU atmosphere better, and he can recruit in Alabama.

dawgpound
12-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Coach O would be a huge mistake... I do not think he would be the great recruiter some of you think either. After his failure at Ole Miss a lot of high school coaches in MS would not give him the time of day

NCDawg
12-18-2014, 02:41 PM

I love coach turner, but we need Ed O's ability to get players here. Thank turner for his service and let him announce he's "leaving" us for another program. Name Ed O as the dline/recruiting cood.

We're gonna have to pay these guys, but it'll be worth it. We need to give Dan some big time coaches to help him get over the hump.

I agree.

defiantdog
12-18-2014, 04:20 PM
I agree.

No legitimate booster will agree with the Coach O hire

scottycameron
12-18-2014, 04:22 PM
yaw yaw!

scottycameron
12-18-2014, 04:28 PM

tell 'em, JoJo!
yaw yaw yaw!!!

Todd4State
12-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Coach O would be a huge mistake... I do not think he would be the great recruiter some of you think either. After his failure at Ole Miss a lot of high school coaches in MS would not give him the time of day

I think his impact would be more on out of state guys. As long as we have Tony Hughes, we're good in state.

TrapGame
12-18-2014, 04:42 PM

As much as I'd love to have O just for the sheer spectacle of the whole thing - cause you know his Egg Bowl smack would be legendary! It's just not gonna fly with Strick or the major boosters.

Thick
12-18-2014, 04:55 PM

You're wrong, there's one in Birmingham that already does. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but he's not against it.

Todd4State
12-18-2014, 05:03 PM
As much as I'd love to have O just for the sheer spectacle of the whole thing - cause you know his Egg Bowl smack would be legendary! It's just not gonna fly with Strick or the major boosters.

Our boosters have to let bygones be bygones. Joe Lee Dunn was a DC and head coach at Ole Miss before cementing his legacy with us. If we were looking for an OC and Cutcliffe was available, I'd be fine with that.

Coach O wouldn't be our head coach. The only spectacle would be the Ole Miss fans meltdowns on message boards when we start hauling in the top players from Memphis.

scottycameron
12-18-2014, 05:16 PM
Our boosters have to let bygones be bygones. Joe Lee Dunn was a DC and head coach at Ole Miss before cementing his legacy with us. If we were looking for an OC and Cutcliffe was available, I'd be fine with that.

Coach O wouldn't be our head coach. The only spectacle would be the Ole Miss fans meltdowns on message boards when we start hauling in the top players from Memphis.

no shit. He already got a lot of that fence built while he was in oxfart. I don't know exactly how far he got it built around memphis before the 07 eggbowl but he's got a headstart anyway.

Todd4State
12-18-2014, 05:33 PM
no shit. He already got a lot of that fence built while he was in oxfart. I don't know exactly how far he got it built around memphis before the 07 eggbowl but he's got a headstart anyway.

Well, they made a movie about him landing Michael Oher. How hilarious would it be that an Ole Miss propaganda movie would all of a sudden end with their guy committing to a MSU coach?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Maybe I'm missing the satire from these posts wanting Coach O, but there is no way in hell that he will be hired as a lone DC. If we can't get a decent DC other than him to look at us, we must have some major issues that we don't know about. Also, I'm not sure that O's recruiting "tactics" would fall in line with our compliance department.

blacklistedbully
12-18-2014, 09:07 PM
Can you imagine Bracky & O working together?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-18-2014, 09:18 PM

Haha no and that's why I don't think O would ever work here. He doesn't fit into the mold of our "compliance"....unless someone knows something I don't about changes in that area.

DownwardDawg
12-18-2014, 10:21 PM

No

32 Dive
12-18-2014, 11:49 PM

I can only imagine my Twitter feed exploding, on the date of Ed O's hiring.

Also, IF Coach O uses Twitter (PLEASE!!!!), does he do it with an accent?

Possible Scenario:
1) Ed commits a secondary violation, or 100, on twitter.
2) Bracky RT's a case from another school, with a link, regarding similar violation.
3) Ed retweets Bracky, with FU, right before RT.
4) Bracky RT's a non related article about soccer, now with broken thumbs.