PDA

View Full Version : PROBLEM and SOLUTION for the flood of ?make offer? OB tix

sayit
12-17-2014, 10:58 AM
PROBLEM EXPLAINED:

Online forums packed with OB "make offer" tix, ultimately caused by greed due to success. Explanation following or you can skip straight to the SOLUTION at the bottom.

First off, scalpers and corporate sponsors unloading on ticket sites is a factor for all bowls every year. That's a separate subject from the piles of tickets being offered by BDC members on forums, Facebook, Craigslist. The only correlation it has is eliminating that as an option of unloading extra tickets for face value on those commercial sites.

As ugly as the truth is, the reason the market is flooded among the usual fan ticket circle is a direct result of this season's success. After we won at Death Valley, ticket demand took off for the A&M game. After blowing them out, ticket prices went thru the roof for the Auburn game. Suddenly season ticket holder Buddy needed tickets for cousin Elmer's family that hadn't been to a State game since Elmer was a student in '85. Ticket holders got greedy and the tickets they would once sell to a fellow State grad/fan went from face value to what they are selling for on Stub Hub. "Make offers" all over the place "PM me a number and I'll stay home and watch it".

Then ticket pre-orders came out while we're 8-0 with the option of selecting all bowls, the 2 play-off games, and the SECCG. Many people ordered the max. Needed 4 for their group but ordered 10 because they could, because they could make $ off the extras without thinking for a second that they may be pushing other BDC members into the upper deck or even out of the place and paying $600 a ticket should we have made it to the play-offs. My group ordered 4 tickets and guess what? That's how many we needed and we are going as we said we would when ordering. But off course we have much worse seats than the fortunate folks that are buying 2nd hand tickets for peanuts from all the selfish orders.

Call it whatever you like. That's what has happened. It was caused by this year's success and that's why so many are now giving away tickets for pennies on the dollar. We now have a whole new form of "make offer". Not much you can do if you ordered too many, but for the ones with tickets and trying to sell them?

Here's the SOLUTION!

- Go to the game! Support the team, use the tickets you ordered which were to the Orange Bowl and in Miami. The venue didn't change. It's a long days road trip from MS and $200 rooms. It is not a trip to Nepal to climb Everest that will cost you 50K and possibly your life, it is a great bowl and great tourist destination and one the Dawgs haven't been to since before World War II. Tickets are paid for. USE THEM!

This is my take on it and although 100% accurate, opposing views will be considered within 10 days.

trob115
12-17-2014, 11:20 AM
While I do agree partially with you, you also leave out 2 of the major reasons there are so many tickets for the Orange Bowl available:

1.) Major ticket vendors buy bulk season tickets for the bowl starting this year due to it being a playoff match-up game in the future. By buying large groups of tickets, these vendors take a chance on being able to make a profit in the future when the Orange Bowl is in the playoff rotation. They are willing to eat some money this year on tickets, while waiting to capitalize off of the playoff years.

2.) The Orange Bowl is a big venue (77k). The past 5 years attendance figures have an average of 66,000 in attendance. This means there are attendance problems in general with the Bowl. With the bowl giving out tickets to sponsors and other various groups, you have a large market for re-sale of tickets. This makes the market flooded with extra tickets. With the combination with all of the factors and the fact that the Orange Bowl hasn't been selling out, you have our current ticket situation.

I also didn't even mention how the school always gets very few good seating options. The fact that you say everyone got hosed due to "over buying and maxing out their orders" doesn't tell the whole story, even if it is partially true for a few people.

dawgpound
12-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Our fans need to be more excited to have our team in a major bowl with 10 wins. The fact that you can buy tickets all day long for $7 is pathetic. Even Ole Miss who had a worse season than us is sending more people to their lesser bowl. On stubhub you can't get a ticket on their side of the stadium for under $175. There is no reason we shouldnt be able to send at least 30k people to miami.

CadaverDawg
12-17-2014, 11:32 AM
Our fans need to be more excited to have our team in a major bowl with 10 wins. The fact that you can buy tickets all day long for $7 is pathetic. Even Ole Miss who had a worse season than us is sending more people to their lesser bowl. On stubhub you can't get a ticket on their side of the stadium for under $175. There is no reason we shouldnt be able to send at least 30k people to miami.

You DO realize that OM is within driving distance of their Bowl game, right?

dawgpound
12-17-2014, 12:06 PM

Well we shouldn't complain when bowls want a team with a worse record than us in the future if we can't show up to the biggest bowl we have ever been to

CadaverDawg
12-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Well we shouldn't complain when bowls want a team with a worse record than us in the future if we can't show up to the biggest bowl we have ever been to

Who says we wont show up? It's a big stadium, and most of the tickets are bought up by big corporations. Are there going to be some seats available? Of course...but there always are. I agree that we need as many people to go as possible, but I don't think we should start claiming our turn out to be a failure simply because we see cheap tickets online.

sleepy dawg
12-17-2014, 12:13 PM
I'll be there come hell or high water. 3 hours, 7 hours, or 14 hours, I don't care where the game is, or who the opponent is. Considering the average person lives about 710030 hours, I don't think an extra 15 hours spent in driving is going to hurt me much. If we're playing in a bowl game, I'm going to support our team.

If I'm going when we're 6-6, I'm damn sure going to support the best team we've ever had.

dawgpound
12-17-2014, 12:19 PM
I will be there too... I just think our fans need to be more excited and rally behind this team

RougeDawg
12-17-2014, 12:25 PM
I had 3 people back out of tickets they requested I order before the deadline. I failed to collect the money up front and now am out $360 for a piece of shit ticket that isn't worth it's weight in gold.

MSUDogFan
12-17-2014, 01:13 PM

You do realize that we have set attendance records over the years at the Peach Bowl, the Liberty Bowl, the Gator Bowl, Music City Bowl, etc.

dawgpound
12-17-2014, 02:18 PM
You do realize that we have set attendance records over the years at the Peach Bowl, the Liberty Bowl, the Gator Bowl, Music City Bowl, etc.

I dont know where you got your stats but that is simply not true; I checked all but the Music City Bowl and we dont have the record attendance for any of them

Dawgtini
12-17-2014, 02:22 PM

I am driving and taking my 11 other family members with me....Just 15+ hrs, I'm at work that long most days.

sayit
12-17-2014, 03:43 PM
While I do agree partially with you, you also leave out 2 of the major reasons there are so many tickets for the Orange Bowl available:

1.) Major ticket vendors buy bulk season tickets for the bowl starting this year due to it being a playoff match-up game in the future. By buying large groups of tickets, these vendors take a chance on being able to make a profit in the future when the Orange Bowl is in the playoff rotation. They are willing to eat some money this year on tickets, while waiting to capitalize off of the playoff years.

2.) The Orange Bowl is a big venue (77k). The past 5 years attendance figures have an average of 66,000 in attendance. This means there are attendance problems in general with the Bowl. With the bowl giving out tickets to sponsors and other various groups, you have a large market for re-sale of tickets. This makes the market flooded with extra tickets. With the combination with all of the factors and the fact that the Orange Bowl hasn't been selling out, you have our current ticket situation.

I also didn't even mention how the school always gets very few good seating options. The fact that you say everyone got hosed due to "over buying and maxing out their orders" doesn't tell the whole story, even if it is partially true for a few people.

I did mention that and explained I'm talking about BDC tickets being purchased and not used. The venue size and quality of tickets is a separate issue but if you notice for team's side the school gets one side of the 50 and OB gets the other side. All the tickets ordered and not used are shoving other BDC members into the end zone and upper deck...which is part of the problem.

First off, scalpers and corporate sponsors unloading on ticket sites is a factor for all bowls every year. That's a separate subject from the piles of tickets being offered by BDC members on forums, Facebook, Craigslist. The only correlation it has is eliminating that as an option of unloading extra tickets for face value on those commercial sites.

sayit
12-17-2014, 03:46 PM
I will be there too... I just think our fans need to be more excited and rally behind this team Agree x1000.

I had 3 people back out of tickets they requested I order before the deadline. I failed to collect the money up front and now am out $360 for a piece of shit ticket that isn't worth it's weight in gold.

They requested, they bought, they owe you $120 each...pretty simple. If something comes up and I can't go, I'd be handing my friend the difference in what he paid and what he was able to sell them for. That's just common decency and I'd expect the same.

CadaverDawg
12-17-2014, 04:17 PM
I dont know where you got your stats but that is simply not true; I checked all but the Music City Bowl and we dont have the record attendance for any of them

He said "we have set" attendance records over the years at those bowls. He didn't say we still held them.

CadaverDawg
12-17-2014, 04:19 PM
I am driving and taking my 11 other family members with me....Just 15+ hrs, I'm at work that long most days.

That's awesome. I'm not saying we can't drive to ours....I was simply saying that to compare our attendance to OM's isn't apples to apples since most OM fans are within 6-7 hours away from Atlanta. That being said, I think we will have a lot of fans in Miami