PDA

View Full Version : Swain

Big4Dawg
12-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Robbie has officially switched his CB to State. Feels good about him as of now.

http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/TargetPredictions

HoopsDawg
12-16-2014, 10:05 PM
That's huge. Gives us 4 solid DTs. Maybe 5 if Cory Thomas can help.

Coach34
12-16-2014, 11:02 PM
If Corey Thomas isnt ready to play after a RS year something is wrong

I hate the crystal ball shit- once they make a pick- they should have to stay with it. Switching it 24 hours before someone signs is bullshit

engie
12-16-2014, 11:09 PM
Paul just switched as well...

Cory Thomas is going to play a huge role for us next year IMO...

CadaverDawg
12-16-2014, 11:42 PM
Wow, that's big if we get Swain and Rankin tomorrow. I agree with engie and Coach about Thomas....he was good enough to get minutes as a true freshman for most programs. He will be a big contributor in 2015 in my opinion. I already felt pretty good about our D-Line next season, but adding Swain will make our depth incredible....

Defensive Ends:

Brown
Jefferson
Coleman
Calvin
Grant Harris
Jones (some)?

Defensive Tackles:
Jones
Swain
Adams
James
Thomas
Hoyett

Am I forgetting anybody?

CadaverDawg
12-16-2014, 11:44 PM
Where would you guys rank this Juco class if we end up with...

Rankin
Gray
Jung
Swain
Calvin
Pierce (Is he a Juco? Will he be in this class?)

Obviously, they could all be busts or all be studs....but on paper before hitting campus, would you say this could be our best Juco haul under Mullen?

Belegal
12-16-2014, 11:46 PM
Quay? Maybe?

HoopsDawg
12-16-2014, 11:49 PM
Quay? Maybe?

No. I wish people would let this go.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-16-2014, 11:51 PM
Quay isn't coming back let's let that dream go.

HoopsDawg
12-16-2014, 11:52 PM

Rankin
Gray
Jung
Swain
Calvin

Obviously, they could all be busts or all be studs....but on paper before hitting campus, would you say this could be our best Juco haul under Mullen?

2 first team juco all americans. Everyone with major offers. ******* best for sure. Pierce would be a freshman.

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2014, 12:21 AM
Rosebowl is claiming MSU victory in the Rankin and Swain sweepstakes tonight.

I can't help but wonder though, if Freezus will be burning up the phone lines till 3:00 AM this year?

That situation with Tee last year was absurd

engie
12-17-2014, 12:37 AM
Not on Swain -- because it looks like they are getting the one true "elite" JUCO DT in DJ Jones, so he'll be preoccupied keeping Jimbo off the line tonight...

ScottH
12-17-2014, 01:02 AM
Rosebowl is claiming MSU victory in the Rankin and Swain sweepstakes tonight.

That makes me nervous.

Todd4State
12-17-2014, 01:04 AM

Rankin
Gray
Jung
Swain
Calvin

I'm pleased with it as of now. I think Gray is the only one that to me is a no brainer instant impact guy. Rankin I think will have to compete for a spot, but he could very well get it. If not, I think he is at the very worst a contributor over the next two years. I really like Jung, but I think he is a guy that we may not see immediately, but we have him for three years unless I am mistaken. I really haven't seen any video of Swain, but obviously he should come in and play immediately. Calvin needs to get a little bit bigger but I think he will be a solid player for us.

thedawg
12-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Jung has three to play two... His film is amazing but he wont be here until this summer... I expect his career to go much like Darius Slay... Special teams stud in year one and sprinkled into the rotation.. Then really have a chance in year two. You almost want to redshirt these guys when they dont get here until the summer so you can get two good years out of them. I dont expect them to do that though.

engie
12-17-2014, 09:11 AM
I don't think it's that difficult to learn to play linebacker. We need Jung to fill out a full 2-deep at LB with Gray moving back to safety...

thedawg
12-17-2014, 09:14 AM
I feel like the battle for the sixth linebacker will come down to Jung and Dez Harris... should be a good battle

HailState39110
12-17-2014, 09:22 AM
Am I forgetting anybody?

You missed Ryan Brown who will probably start opposite AJ Jefferson

1s?
Brown
Jones
James
Jefferson

engie
12-17-2014, 09:25 AM
I feel like the battle for the sixth linebacker will come down to Jung and Dez Harris... should be a good battle

Jung is being recruited for Wells' spot at wLB -- same spot as Gray was at and same spot as Zach Jackson and MAYBE Dee Arrington if he ever makes it back...

Richie backed by Gerri @ mLB

Beni backed by Dez @ sLB

Who is the 7th linebacker?

CadaverDawg
12-17-2014, 09:26 AM
You missed Ryan Brown who will probably start opposite AJ Jefferson

1s?
Brown
Jones
James
Jefferson

I had Brown on there.

And I agree with your "1's" except don't be surprised if Swain or Adams isn't in there over James.

MSUDawg4Life
12-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Jung is being recruited for Wells' spot at wLB -- same spot as Gray was at and same spot as Zach Jackson and MAYBE Dee Arrington if he ever makes it back...

Beni backed by Dez @ sLB

Leo Lewis.

I'm only slightly joking. We rotated seven guys before Dez Harris was hurt. I have long thought Leo could fill that seventh spot and earn playing time from day one.

thedawg
12-17-2014, 09:33 AM
I guess when I was doing my projections I still had JT Gray at Linebacker... I guess we will see how the safety situation shakes out... There are alot of factors with Jay Hughes possibly looking at a sixth year. Then you have Market and his health. Then you have Evans and Coman. There are guys that will either step up or be processed like Quadry Antoine and Brandon Wells (Dont just dismiss these guys. Look at the jump Turtle made after being so buried they moved him to TE) Brandon Bryant is a future starter for us and I think will be in the two deep next year. I dont see how a guy like Jamal Peters stays out of the two deep as a true freshmen. Then you have JT Gray and where he fits. Hes certainly a player but is he a safety or LB. There are just a lot of moving parts. Maybe Jung will be an NFL guy from day one and take Matt Wells spot with little drop off... Im all for it

Edited to Add... Leo Lewis... if we get him I dont think he redshirts

Covercorner2
12-17-2014, 09:37 AM
I guess when I was doing my projections I still had JT Gray at Linebacker... I guess we will see how the safety situation shakes out... There are alot of factors with Jay Hughes possibly looking at a sixth year. Then you have Market and his health. Then you have Evans and Coman. There are guys that will either step up or be processed like Quadry Antoine and Brandon Wells (Dont just dismiss these guys. Look at the jump Turtle made after being so buried they moved him to TE) Brandon Bryant is a future starter for us and I think will be in the two deep next year. I dont see how a guy like Jamal Peters stays out of the two deep as a true freshmen. Then you have JT Gray and where he fits. Hes certainly a player but is he a safety or LB. There are just a lot of moving parts. Maybe Jung will be an NFL guy from day one and take Matt Wells spot with little drop off... Im all for it

Edited to Add... Leo Lewis... if we get him I dont think he redshirts

Antoine is listed as a LB on the roster. What's his deal?

HancockCountyDog
12-17-2014, 09:38 AM
I had Brown on there.

And I agree with your "1's" except don't be surprised if Swain or Adams isn't in there over James.

I thought Nelson played better than James when given reps. I thought James was a non factor in most games. If he had been a two star coming out, people wouldn't be expecting much from him next season.

HancockCountyDog
12-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Antoine is listed as a LB on the roster. What's his deal?

Just trying to find a position where he can't help us. I don't think he has the skill set to play in coverage in the secondary .

I may be alone here, but I think Peters is the perfect fit for Wells spot. He is probably 10-15 lbs bigger than Wells was when he showed up. I just think he would be a monster at the WLB spot.

defiantdog
12-17-2014, 09:49 AM
Just trying to find a position where he can't help us. I don't think he has the skill set to play in coverage in the secondary .

I may be alone here, but I think Peters is the perfect fit for Wells spot. He is probably 10-15 lbs bigger than Wells was when he showed up. I just think he would be a monster at the WLB spot.
We may see a shake up in all of our defensive players with the coaching change. I suspect the 1a and 1b crap to change. I also expect us to remove the hybrid linebacker in exchange for more skilled safeties. Peters will play safety with B. Bryant. Hopefully the new guy will understand that our best players need to stay in the game.

engie
12-17-2014, 09:51 AM

I don't think we can make any assumptions really on "spots" until we get a new DC and know what defense we are going to run... Same could be said for McLaurin, which is who I think jumps to that spot initially. Our defense is in desperate need of an enforcer on the back end. I'm hoping to see 4 years of Peters and Bryant holding that down together...

thedawg
12-17-2014, 09:58 AM
I think you take the best three players and you scheme in order to get them on the field in Saftey/ OLB roles... Next year that group probably comes from Coman, Peters, Bryant, Gray.... Thats really young so I think it probably starts out with Evans in that group but I think the other four are more talented that him and pass him... Of course Market gets all up in this if he can overcome a really tough injury...

Coach34
12-17-2014, 10:01 AM
We could be looking at switching to a 3-4 possibly? I haven't heard that we are- just throwing it out there

JOHNHEVESYMADE
12-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Quay isn't coming back let's let that dream go.

He told me himself that he will be back in the Spring.

Johnson85
12-17-2014, 10:43 AM
He told me himself that he will be back in the Spring.

Bold going against Nostrodamus like that.

Johnson85
12-17-2014, 10:44 AM

Beni backed by Dez @ sLB

I thought Dee had announced he was quitting football. Am I thinking of somebody else?

Coach34
12-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Quay is trying- or was. I personally won't count on him until he makes it thru to game week in Sept