PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on Collins' departure

Coach 57
12-16-2014, 09:30 PM
I'm sure nobody is holding their breath for my .02 & a defensive minded coach's perspective on the matter but I felt led to offer them up. So here goes, I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

What EXACTLY was Geoff Collins?

Geoff was a GOOD LB coach. He brought a lot of enthusiasm to the heart & brain of our defense. No matter how good your DL is, if your 2nd level is bad...it'll make the whole defense suffer (take it from a DL coach). Because there will be times in a game where the offense will go with a quick 2 step drop from the QB and those 2-4 guys (depending on the personnel grouping your in) will make ANY secondary & DL look below average. Football is the ULTIMATE team sport. 1 guy misses his assignment and the whole unit/team will suffe including guys that aren't even on the field. Collins controlled the "vital organs" of our defense with his intellect and did his best to pass that on to guys like BMac & Benny & Richie. But he had a WHOLE lot of talent too. Talent will only get you so far. It's when the RIGHT kid meets the opportunity to learn and sops it up like a stale piece of cornbread and infuses his physical ability with the knowledge passed down. As someone who knows, the hardest aspect of Collins that we WILL miss in the Orange Bowl will be his position coaching NOT his overall defensive scheme (more on that in a sec). But as good as he was, there are other/better LB coaches out there. One thing that has been overlooked is that not only is Dan a good talent evaluator but he's been pretty good at picking position coaches too. I trust he'll get the RIGHT guy no matter who it is.

Was Collins that good of a defensive signal caller?

Yes and no. Go back one year, we played OM in a very physical game with our 3rd string true freshman QB. But go back, I hate to burst the bear or dawg fans' bubble but Freeze's best weapon is NOT Bo or Treadwell. It's a guy that didn't play last year in the EB. I'm not going to go all X's & O's on you here but in HS & CFB the biggest areas for huge plays are between the hashes. Some use motion to find man2man and use posts, but others use the TE with basic seams to get the mismatch on either the S (the TE is too big) or OLB (too fast). Evan Engram is OM's secret weapon and is basically a slot WR that can chip & release his butt off! Going into that game people thought I was crazy (around here not this board) because as I began to really look at this game we had NO matchup for Engram. He dropped an almost sure fire TD early in that game. Which should've tipped Collins off that he's (Freeze) was going to wear us out using him. Why didn't Collins throw out the poor scheme we had and attack that guy at the LOS coming off his routes? It's what teams that beat them did. Collins is a decent play caller, but he's not GREAT. So in that regards I'm really not worried at all, it COULD be an upgrade in that area and again I trust Dan's coaching eval.

Got juice?

I'm not busting on the guy but where was the "juice" in A&M late? LSU late? Good gracious UAB? How many times did teams drop EASY balls Va this defense? Go back & look at the drops Vs A&M. What was it like 11+? Auburn had guys open too that dropped passes. We were LITTERALLY a few caught balls away fro being back (possibly) in the Liberty Bowl. Where was the "juice"? There were times when our defense looked GOOD, but once he (his scheme) got "found" that was it. In coaching there is a saying that says "you better learn to adapt, because once you get FOUND that's it."

Recruiter?

Was he REALLY that good of a recruiter? Not really. Was he a great motivator? Absolutely.

Let's put a bow on this thing. I'm grateful for his mind & his ability to motivate our boys to play hard. I'm grateful for the years of service he had to this university. But in this business, it's cut throat literally sometimes and I think he'll do good for a few years at UF but will always be a floater type of coach. Never making a job last longer than a short stint. I don't think he's HC material at this point in his career any more than Ed O is. But he'll motivate the crap out of his boys but after s while the luster fades and it becomes a thinking man's game. Could he be a good HC? That's up to his ability to adapt & learn. Coaches are egotistical & hardheaded mostly, we'll see. So long Coach Collins....NEXT!

Todd4State
12-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Great post.

You mentioned the lack of takeaways. I think a lot of that was due to the fact that we weren't very aggressive coupled with poor safety play. Is there a tangible way that we can improve getting takeaways or are turnovers something that "just happen" sort of like our 2007 defense?

BrunswickDawg
12-16-2014, 09:46 PM
^^^^^ That is why we read this board.

Coach 57
12-16-2014, 09:56 PM
I've always said that turnovers are like nitrous in a car engine. Living by it alone will eventually burn you up. There are so many things that aren't THAT flashy or dramatic that will increase your odds of winning. Do you guys know why Bammer is almost always at the top? It's not because they make you turn it over. It's because they ALWAYS tackle well! Something that's not that dramatic at all. Yeah they have some nice exotic schemes (like going to a 3-3-5 Vs Dak). But they tackle well! So to answer you question we need to get back to the fundamentals on defense. Give me a solid tackle on 3rd & 2 short of the first down over a ball stripped at the same spot....why? Because you never know that ball MAY end up in the hands of a dangerous offensive player that can keep going. I'm old school, I hate the terrible way "form tackling" is taught. It's the greediness! Making that stop is with your head up & butt down uncoiling on the ball carrier is just fine to me. Anyways, sorry for the rambling. Lol

Percho
12-16-2014, 10:24 PM
Coach I am no coach but I posted before the OM game I would have Bmac de-cleat Engram at the LOS,

BTW very good post.

ScottH
12-16-2014, 10:34 PM
^^^^^ That is why we read this board.

Ditto. I learn lots every Coach57 posts.

Fred Garvin
12-16-2014, 10:45 PM
Please post more

Coach 57
12-16-2014, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys. I'm about to hit my "dry spell" after the football season. I'm not a basketball guy (but love anything MSU) or baseball. I'll say this before I turn down tonight. The key to stoping ANY triple option offense is DE holding their keys & LBs filling their gap assignments PROPERLY and with aggression. I am tremendously intrigued at how Collins' departure will impact the play of our LBs. To me that's the most critical short term damage to our program. We NEED to win this game! It's imperitive that we go into the offseason on a positive note!

Todd4State
12-16-2014, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys. I'm about to hit my "dry spell" after the football season. I'm not a basketball guy (but love anything MSU) or baseball. I'll say this before I turn down tonight. The key to stoping ANY triple option offense is DE holding their keys & LBs filling their gap assignments PROPERLY and with aggression. I am tremendously intrigued at how Collins' departure will impact the play of our LBs. To me that's the most critical short term damage to our program. We NEED to win this game! It's imperitive that we go into the offseason on a positive note!

This can not be emphasized enough. The Orange Bowl is one of the biggest in our schools history and we need to win to get the bad taste out of our mouths so that we can go forward with next season.

CadaverDawg
12-16-2014, 11:56 PM
I'm sure nobody is holding their breath for my .02 & a defensive minded coach's perspective on the matter but I felt led to offer them up. So here goes, I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

What EXACTLY was Geoff Collins?

Geoff was a GOOD LB coach. He brought a lot of enthusiasm to the heart & brain of our defense. No matter how good your DL is, if your 2nd level is bad...it'll make the whole defense suffer (take it from a DL coach). Because there will be times in a game where the offense will go with a quick 2 step drop from the QB and those 2-4 guys (depending on the personnel grouping your in) will make ANY secondary & DL look below average. Football is the ULTIMATE team sport. 1 guy misses his assignment and the whole unit/team will suffe including guys that aren't even on the field. Collins controlled the "vital organs" of our defense with his intellect and did his best to pass that on to guys like BMac & Benny & Richie. But he had a WHOLE lot of talent too. Talent will only get you so far. It's when the RIGHT kid meets the opportunity to learn and sops it up like a stale piece of cornbread and infuses his physical ability with the knowledge passed down. As someone who knows, the hardest aspect of Collins that we WILL miss in the Orange Bowl will be his position coaching NOT his overall defensive scheme (more on that in a sec). But as good as he was, there are other/better LB coaches out there. One thing that has been overlooked is that not only is Dan a good talent evaluator but he's been pretty good at picking position coaches too. I trust he'll get the RIGHT guy no matter who it is.

Was Collins that good of a defensive signal caller?

Yes and no. Go back one year, we played OM in a very physical game with our 3rd string true freshman QB. But go back, I hate to burst the bear or dawg fans' bubble but Freeze's best weapon is NOT Bo or Treadwell. It's a guy that didn't play last year in the EB. I'm not going to go all X's & O's on you here but in HS & CFB the biggest areas for huge plays are between the hashes. Some use motion to find man2man and use posts, but others use the TE with basic seams to get the mismatch on either the S (the TE is too big) or OLB (too fast). Evan Engram is OM's secret weapon and is basically a slot WR that can chip & release his butt off! Going into that game people thought I was crazy (around here not this board) because as I began to really look at this game we had NO matchup for Engram. He dropped an almost sure fire TD early in that game. Which should've tipped Collins off that he's (Freeze) was going to wear us out using him. Why didn't Collins throw out the poor scheme we had and attack that guy at the LOS coming off his routes? It's what teams that beat them did. Collins is a decent play caller, but he's not GREAT. So in that regards I'm really not worried at all, it COULD be an upgrade in that area and again I trust Dan's coaching eval.

Got juice?

I'm not busting on the guy but where was the "juice" in A&M late? LSU late? Good gracious UAB? How many times did teams drop EASY balls Va this defense? Go back & look at the drops Vs A&M. What was it like 11+? Auburn had guys open too that dropped passes. We were LITTERALLY a few caught balls away fro being back (possibly) in the Liberty Bowl. Where was the "juice"? There were times when our defense looked GOOD, but once he (his scheme) got "found" that was it. In coaching there is a saying that says "you better learn to adapt, because once you get FOUND that's it."

Recruiter?

Was he REALLY that good of a recruiter? Not really. Was he a great motivator? Absolutely.

Let's put a bow on this thing. I'm grateful for his mind & his ability to motivate our boys to play hard. I'm grateful for the years of service he had to this university. But in this business, it's cut throat literally sometimes and I think he'll do good for a few years at UF but will always be a floater type of coach. Never making a job last longer than a short stint. I don't think he's HC material at this point in his career any more than Ed O is. But he'll motivate the crap out of his boys but after s while the luster fades and it becomes a thinking man's game. Could he be a good HC? That's up to his ability to adapt & learn. Coaches are egotistical & hardheaded mostly, we'll see. So long Coach Collins....NEXT!

You are the man. Dang I wish you'd post more often.

http://i.imgur.com/Zyxx2ue.gif

CadaverDawg
12-16-2014, 11:59 PM
Coach, if it were your choice who would you choose as the interim DC? Turner? Heck, I wish they'd let you do it! But seriously, who would you choose, and who do you expect Dan to choose?

State82
12-17-2014, 12:06 AM
Simply outstanding insight from Coach 57. Another great example of why this board is IT when it comes to MSU sports.

War Machine Dawg
12-17-2014, 03:27 AM
http://i.imgur.com/RSCcYCh.gif

Barking 13
12-17-2014, 09:59 AM
Rep points x 10

SignalToNoise
12-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Coach57, you should really post more. Love reading your stuff.

drunkernhelldawg
12-17-2014, 12:19 PM
This board has a ridiculous number of good football analysts: 34, 57, shotgun, WMD, etc. Elite. Love this post and love Shotgunn's post on the same topic. So much food for thought that we're near 'bout stuffed. All we need now is the best DC in the world.

LiterallyPolice
12-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Great post.... the only qualm I have is saying the coaching game can be "cut throat literally". I mean, you would know more than me... but I hope this isn't the case.

CadaverDawg
12-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Great post.... the only qualm I have is saying the coaching game can be "cut throat literally". I mean, you would know more than me... but I hope this isn't the case.

Well played