PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun's thoughts on today's events

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Sorry for the length:

I spent the better half of my day attempting to contextualize and put today's events into the proper perspective, while also hoping to find something positive. As the news about Coach Collins broke this morning, my first reaction was that of frustration. I was frustrated that after going 10-2, getting to the Orange Bowl, having the best recruiting class in school history all but signed, a stadium expansion, sold out crowds, and being number 1 in the country, it still wasn't good enough and that our defensive coordinator could possibly leave MSU for what is, on paper, a lateral move. I was frustrated that as the news broke, the media began to offer negative comments about MSU's talent level, recruiting ability, ability to win a championship, Mullen's comments after the Egg Bowl, and pretty much anything they could think of to justify Geoff Collins leaving MSU for what is, on paper, a lateral move.

However, as the day progressed, I realized that much of my frustration had more to do with my ego and the pride I had for my school rather than reality of the situation. After winning 10 games, adding on to the stadium, hosting Gameday, going to the Orange Bowl, being the 5th most watched team in college football this season, having a Heisman contender, and finishing 2nd in the SEC West, I believe it is only natural for MSU fans, including myself, to come to the conclusion that MSU is now on the same level as some of the more traditional powers. However, the coaches have to deal with a different reality. While we have come a long way and now are beginning to solidify our brand in the marketplace, the coaches have to deal with the reality that MSU still faces competitive disadvantages in recruiting, is still in the toughest division in the country, and has to operate within the smallest athletic budget in the division. You see, I began to see today's events as a "reality check", and maybe one that was needed.

I don't believe MSU fans have gotten complacent, in fact far from it, but I think it's important to remember that MSU's football program is an entrepreneur that has to work 18 hour days, in a league full of trust funds that were set up years ago, and that sometimes a "wakeup call"/"Reality Check" is needed. It is needed because MSU fans can't forget what got us here and what makes us who we are. Make no mistake, we are no longer your father's MSU. We are now a legitimate SEC team, with a legitimate SEC stadium, legitimate SEC facilities, and legitimate SEC players all over the field. However, days like today are sometimes needed to remind us that winning at MSU is difficult, being an MSU fan can difficult, and it's not for everyone, only people that are genetically superior.

What led MSU to this point was hard work, rolling up our sleeves, admitting our faults, showing a willingness to change, having a chip on our shoulders, having more creativity, and ultimately having more determination to build our program than others. So, while today's events were in some ways a kick in the gut, I think MSU fans should embrace who we are, embrace the struggle, and, no matter how far we have come, let this be a reality check that the job isn't done, and that us, as the fan base can't be satisfied or spoiled. We need to maintain that chip on our shoulders, and continue the campaign to build the best program in the SEC.

At the end of the day Geoff Collins didn't leave MSU because he was offended by Mullen, or because his defense got it's ass whipped in the Egg Bowl, that's just something made up by the media that has never coached a day in their lives, Geoff Collins left because he thought the defensive coordinator job at Florida was a better job, it would help his career to go there, and because he had recruiting connections in Florida that would enable him to attract better players. That is the reality and a reality that MSU shouldn't be comfortable with. Due to that, now is the time to double down as a program. There is no time to listen to the media tell us how helpless we are, or how we aren't good enough. Now is the time to take this thing to the next level. Now is the time to sell out every game next year, now is the time for every student to stay at the game till the final second ticks off the clock, now is the time for every MSU fan to do everything in their power to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Going forward, we will be fine and this, likely won't hurt us as Mullen has proven time and time again that he is capable of making "bad ass" hires, and I expect this one to be no different. He'll take his time, but, at the end of the day, we'll likely get a bad ass that's as good if not better than Collins.

Achieving Success isn't linear and it is rented, not owned. Success is achieved by pushing forward and continuing to push the envelope in the never ending quest to get better. MSU has come so far in the past 6 years and our stock has risen dramatically. Let's take what happened today as a reality check and motivation to make our program even better by outworking, out supporting, and focusing on details that other programs are too proud to invest in.

http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/exploringourmatrix/files/2014/02/path-to-success.png

Coach34
12-16-2014, 08:09 PM
wow- excellent post

CadaverDawg
12-16-2014, 08:20 PM
I like the message to fans and students.

I obviously didn't take Collins leaving as hard as some of you.

Today wasn't a bad day to me. I look at it as an opportunity to be able to fill a desirable job with an even better coach. It's a business.

Bucky Dog
12-16-2014, 08:28 PM
The reality picture is too many people's emotions on here. Fire the coach! Give him a raise! How could we let Collins leave?! It was time for him to go, we were 12th in total defense! No chance in hell we win! I knew we were better than them!

Point is what Shotgun is saying we have to chill out and be behind the program totally and TRUST they know WTF they are doing, and will figure it out, as they have proven so far. This will end up being very positive for us.

Todd4State
12-16-2014, 08:31 PM
The reality picture is too many people's emotions on here. Fire the coach! Give him a raise! How could we let Collins leave?! It was time for him to go, we were 12th in total defense! No chance in hell we win! I knew we were better than them!

Point is what Shotgun is saying we have to chill out and be behind the program totally and TRUST they know WTF they are doing, and will figure it out, as they have proven so far. This will end up being very positive for us.

Ultimately, if a coach wants to leave it's probably for the best for all involved. There's no reason to get bent out of shape over it.

solodawg
12-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Good post Shotgun!! I to have faith CDM will make a great hire at DC. But I must admit, listening to Fbaum today was depressing..I would love to punch that rat looking 17er in throat..

engie
12-16-2014, 08:42 PM

Today wasn't a bad day to me. I look at it as an opportunity to be able to fill a desirable job with an even better coach. It's a business.

Same.

This was the first year under Mullen where, statistically, the defense was worse than the offense in the method I've shown before(what we scored vs what our opponents give up on average and what we gave up vs what our opponents scored on average). Not that it was a bad defense, but it was worse than our offense this year, and underperformed slightly relative to reasonable expectations...

dawgoneyall
12-16-2014, 08:53 PM
My very first thought was.....time for an upgrade.

Why just go after a person looking for a job. If a great one is available, fine.

Why not go after the best we can get even if he is presently at another DC job.

We have the money.....go get the best.

mcain31
12-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Great post shotgun!

Dawgface
12-16-2014, 10:41 PM

Same. No need to over analyze all this. A coach left so now let's go get a better one.

Political Hack
12-16-2014, 10:42 PM
great post and I agree. I don't get why some people were upset at all. we're likely going to end up with a better defense next year.

maroonmania
12-16-2014, 11:03 PM
One of your best Shotgun. One thing about it, our DC job has NEVER been more attractive than it is today. And its actually much more attractive today than when we hired Geoff Collins. Just like we say in recruiting, if a kid doesn't want to be at MSU then he should go somewhere else, well in the same way if Collins prefers to be at FL let him move on and let's find a great DC that WANTS to be at MSU!