PDA

View Full Version : Elijah Staley Commitment Thoughts

BeastMan
06-17-2013, 04:09 PM
I promised some folks on twitter I'd write this and here it is. A couple quick takes from the article. If you witnessed what Mullen did with Relf and aren't excited about Staley, I don't know why to tell you. Staley's potential is though the roof. Also, many have complained about Mullen's QB recruiting. For instance, why do we even recruit pro style guys? After TR graduates its 3 true dual threats.

http://3rdand57.wordpress.com/2013/06/17/elijah-staley-commitment-thoughts/

CadaverDawg
06-17-2013, 04:18 PM
After TR graduates its 3 true dual threats.

As it should be, great read as always BeastMan.

We haven't even begun to see what Mullen's offense can do with a True dual threat guy yet. Relf was a run only type, that could occasionally complete a wide open pass. But the guys we have coming in, especially Dak, are going to have to be respected in the pass game as well, which will make our offense extremely difficult to defend.

BeastMan
06-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Exactly Cadever. I don't even think there is a pro style guy in 2015 we are looking at. Before anyone jumps on that, I don't consider Minshew a pro style. He's a Alex Smith spread type IMO. After the doom and gloom, our QB roster is looking promising, particularly for Mullen's system

Goat Holder
06-17-2013, 04:47 PM
He's to hoping he's our Collin Klein......very similar builds coming out of HS.

Coach34
06-17-2013, 04:48 PM
redshirt Staley and let him add a little weight....and then let him and Williams battle for the back-up spot Dak's Sr year to get some playing time. Really good pick-up for us- and if he helps Ray also- gravy

engie
06-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Seems he's trying to bring a few 4*s with him. He and Graham are recruiting much, much harder for us than guys have in the past...

Original48
06-17-2013, 05:24 PM
I did something I've never done before. I followed a recruit on twitter. I can tell you Staley is FIRED UP to be a dawg. Congratulate him on twitter if you can. He loves it and thrives on it.

PMDawg
06-17-2013, 05:54 PM
I promised some folks on twitter I'd write this and here it is. A couple quick takes from the article. If you witnessed what Mullen did with Relf and aren't excited about Staley, I don't know why to tell you. Staley's potential is though the roof. Also, many have complained about Mullen's QB recruiting. For instance, why do we even recruit pro style guys? After TR graduates its 3 true dual threats.

My only complaint so far is in regard to 2014. If Prescott goes down, we are SCREWED. Past 2014, we should be golden. 2014 scares the shit out of me. We need a dual threat JUCO in this class, just as an insurance policy. That's a HARD sell for any JUCO QB worth a shit.

Goat Holder
06-17-2013, 05:57 PM
If Prescott goes down, we are SCREWED.

Most teams are screwed when their #1 QB goes down.

A RFr. Williams and true Fr. Staley should be sufficient for that situation, honestly.

mic
06-17-2013, 06:09 PM
My only complaint so far is in regard to 2014. If Prescott goes down, we are SCREWED. Past 2014, we should be golden. 2014 scares the shit out of me. We need a dual threat JUCO in this class, just as an insurance policy. That's a HARD sell for any JUCO QB worth a shit.

If any team (esp) in SEC has to play their 3rd string Qb they are SCREWED

engie
06-17-2013, 06:13 PM

I disagree. Williams will be ~ as good of QB as Chris Relf was when he left as a redshirt freshman IMO(with a better overall surrounding cast)... meaning he could definitely run and have some success in the read option if we were forced to go with him.

I still wouldn't be surprised if we took a JUCO either if we could get on a really good one -- just to help bridge the gap...

BeastMan
06-17-2013, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't have any issue with a juco QB either but we haven't been communicating with any to the knowledge of our site guys. I just don't see it happening. You don't sell Staley on the depth chart and then go get a juco. If anything we get another hs QB like Sharp.

Coach34
06-17-2013, 06:58 PM

No juco is coming here first of all with Dak here.

No team ranked outside the top 10 is going win anything major with their back-up QB. We'll have a R-Fr to come in and play- which is fairly normal for most teams. That's life

HancockCountyDog
06-17-2013, 07:06 PM
I really hope Staley decides to go football full time. I just think that the sky is the limit for him, but he has to pick a sport. Basketball will spill into two a days depending on scheduling.

I don't want him playing basketball while we are preparing for our bowl game.

Also the weight training will be different, I want him on the Chris Relf diet, not the Varnado diet.

Coach34
06-17-2013, 07:39 PM
I don't want him playing basketball while we are preparing for our bowl game..

Staley wont join basketball until football is over- including the bowl game

HancockCountyDog
06-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Then I just don't see the point, he won't be joining the basketball team until after January as long as Mullen is here (feels good to be able to say that) so you are talking about only joining the team for conference play, and not being in basketball mindset.

I just think Staley has a chance to make a huge impact on our football program, and I don't want anything to get in the way.

By the way we are winning this damn game tonight.

FISHDAWG
06-18-2013, 08:41 AM
if he redshirts in football - wouldn't that open him up to more BB ? .... would he possibly start as a freshman in BB ?

Coach34
06-18-2013, 08:52 AM
if he redshirts in football - wouldn't that open him up to more BB ? .... would he possibly start as a freshman in BB ?

No, he still cant join the team until football is over. As long as he plays football, he will only be with basketball Jan-March- then back to Spring Football

Big4Dawg
06-18-2013, 09:04 AM
I acn see him being a 6th/7th rotation type.

fishwater99
06-18-2013, 09:41 AM
No, he still cant join the team until football is over. As long as he plays football, he will only be with basketball Jan-March- then back to Spring Football

I guess it all depends on when our bowl game is. 6-6 might be early December..

Coach34
06-18-2013, 09:58 AM
I guess it all depends on when our bowl game is. 6-6 might be early December..

True- but Staley seems rooted in becoming a QB first and foremost. He just happens to be good at basketball too.

Pollodawg
06-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Guys with his body type are not unique in basketball. In football, it's a different story, especially at the QB position.