PDA

View Full Version : DJ Durkin seems like the best overall choice for DC...

CadaverDawg
12-16-2014, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure why we aren't all wanting this guy. He has ties to Dan through coaching together, he is a LB and ST coach which is what we drastically need, and he was a part of an incredible defense the last few years. Also has coached for Urban Meyer, at Stanford, and Notre Dame. Dude seems like everything we are looking for, but I'm not sure about recruiting...someone else might be able to tell us more about his recruiting ability. Am I wrong or missing something? Tell me why this guy wouldn't be choice number 1?

CadaverDawg
12-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Just realized he hasn't been a DC but 1 season....so maybe that is why. He still seems like a solid choice, but I admittedly thought he had been a DC for 3-4 years. My apologies on missing that.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/coaches/dj-durkin/

maroonmania
12-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Per the link it looks like he was DC this year and last year. Sounds like he would be a solid choice.

engie
12-16-2014, 03:21 PM
He would be a very solid choice, but we've got competition for him with both aTm and UNC chasing him pretty strongly.

I found it interesting that McElwain didn't just retain him. He's already interim HC through the bowl game. He basically chose Collins over Durkin...

Dawgowar
12-16-2014, 03:25 PM
He would be a very solid choice, but we've got competition for him with both aTm and UNC chasing him pretty strongly.

I found it interesting that McElwain didn't just retain him. He's already interim HC through the bowl game. He basically chose Collins over Durkin...

Speculation but were they both not on Saban's staff together for one year? Familiarity perhaps. Marching orders from Foley to clean house?

12-16-2014, 03:28 PM

https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/544317520572739584

HoopsDawg
12-16-2014, 03:28 PM
1. McElwain didn't retain him
2. It was Muschamp's Defense, not his
3. Limited experience

If you are going to gamble on a guy, you gamble on someone who does great things with less talent. Not good things with Great talent. That's what made Manny Diaz so attractive..the work he did at MTSU.