PDA

View Full Version : Was Collins classless for leaving the day before signing day?

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Look, I'm a huge fan of Geoff Collins, am very happy he was associated with MSU, and generally think he is a good person.

However, and I'm just throwing this out there, could this not have waited till tomorrow night?

I understand that coaches are in a bind and there is usually no good way for this type of stuff to happen, but since MSU & Mullen gave him a huge break in his career, you wonder if it would have been possible for him just delay this announcement till tomorrow night?

We don't know all the factors involved and even if Collins had any say on when this news broke, however, if he did and chose for this news to break today, I think it a pretty classless way of doing things and shows a lack of appreciation for what Mullen has done for his career, regardless of what Mullen said after the Egg Bowl, and that's been blown way out of proportion to competent people.

Again, just throwing this out there to hear your thoughts.

drunkernhelldawg
12-16-2014, 12:29 PM
I don't think we could mislead the recruits and imply he's going to be there. You are the best football writer on this board, imo, but I don't agree with elevating the significance of this move. Coaches are not the program. Every damn one of them is going to shed the maroon for another color at some point. Even Mullen. We are the program. We'll never try another color.

Bothrops
12-16-2014, 12:29 PM
I have no idea, but if he got offered yesterday, I'd say he would have no choice but to except, or decline pretty quickly. That's an extremely lucrative, desirable job.

MSUDawg4Life
12-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Would Signing Day or the day after Signing Day be better? That could be seen as a bait-and-switch by the players. It's a no-win situation for the guy. Collins got offered a job and he accepted. Simple as that. i don't think there was any strategic planning of the timing.

MabenMaroon
12-16-2014, 12:41 PM
First day of the dead period in recruiting, he can gather his stuff and move on down to UF and be on-board, find out what directions he needs to go when recruiting opens back up.
Conversely, works out ok for Dan, he can spend more time in the office analyzing his DC move, making the calls or visits, etc.. And won't have to split the time with doing in-homes and the like. We have enough excellent coaches and senior leaders on the team to conduct meaningful beneficial practices ( mostly working on fundamentals right now ). This is probably the best time for this to occur, as our recruiting class is pretty much set. Hopefully the new DC and staff structure will be known fairly quickly.

mcain31
12-16-2014, 12:47 PM
No. He was offered a job that pays more and has more prestige. I wish him nothing but the best in future except when he faces us. I hope the new gig includes yearly WrestleMania tix for he and his family since he loves wrestling so much.

basedog
12-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Doesn't do any major damage, I think the Collins move has been in the making for a while.

PMDawg
12-16-2014, 01:04 PM
I don't think we could mislead the recruits and imply he's going to be there. You are the best football writer on this board, imo, but I don't agree with elevating the significance of this move. Coaches are not the program. Every damn one of them is going to shed the maroon for another color at some point. Even Mullen. We are the program. We'll never try another color.

blank stare....

Alldawg
12-16-2014, 01:04 PM
I think it was quite opposite of being classless. It was a very classy move my Collins and the University to announce it before signing day IMO. I believe you owe the player or players that he was recruiting the truth up front and just be honest. I understand that recruiting is a business and requires a good salesman, but I always believe that honesty trumps all things in the end. The backlash of holding back would be worse in the long run.

drunkernhelldawg
12-16-2014, 01:08 PM
blank stare....

I love his stuff. The pseudo-professional stuff bores me. I'm looking for thoughts I haven't already thought and perspectives that are fresh and vivid. Smile and stare back.

Spider-Man
12-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Has signing day been moved up? I thought it was in February. Didn't know it was tomorrow.

Beaver
12-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Mullen said McElwain called him yesterday to ask for permission to talk to Collins. So to me it sounds like Collins was offered a good deal he couldn't turn down, and accepted right away. Don't think it had anything to do with recruiting.

MabenMaroon
12-16-2014, 01:32 PM
Has signing day been moved up? I thought it was in February. Didn't know it was tomorrow.

JUCO recruit signing day for early entrants.

Sam&DeansDawg
12-16-2014, 02:15 PM
Now that I am update on the topic id say it was a timing thing. He prolly waited for the dead period week. But IMHO he's been talking with the school for a little while before committing to the job.

Ralph
12-16-2014, 02:42 PM
I think it could be just the opposite. Technically it was the right thing to do from a recruiting standpoint unless the goal is to mislead recruits.

1998Dawg
12-16-2014, 02:43 PM
I think its downright classless. YOu sign your contract and commit to finish out the terms. Let's just hope he's got the integrity to not call on any of our guys in his new gig.