PDA

View Full Version : Seriously why are no big time programs coming after Wommack?...

maroonmania
12-16-2014, 11:53 AM
I really like Collins as a DC and he had coupled that with being a good recruiter but there is no doubt that just looking at overall on the field coaching that Dave Wommack has done the better job with his defense over the past 2 seasons in comparison with Collins. Is Wommack somehow tied at the hip with a newbie HC like Freeze for some reason?

msstate7
12-16-2014, 12:09 PM
I've wondered this myself

engie
12-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Wommack enjoys a bunch of perks coaching with Freeze. Namely -- he doesn't have to recruit much.

Jack Lambert
12-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Wommack enjoys a bunch of perks coaching with Freeze. Namely -- he doesn't have to recruit much.

That still doesn't explain why they don't come after him. I think it's because he has some good talent on his defense and has not proven he's a good DC yet where Collins took a bunch of no bodies and made a good defense.

maroonmania
12-16-2014, 02:31 PM
That still doesn't explain why they don't come after him. I think it's because he has some good talent on his defense and has not proven he's a good DC yet where Collins took a bunch of no bodies and made a good defense.

I disagree in the sense that Wommack had a very good defense even last year even when RK and TC were just true freshman and overall OM was not nearly as talented as a lot of other SEC defenses. Wommack's defense this year was even more talented and in turn the OM defense was as good as any defense in the nation as well. Wommack definitely was more productive with the talent he has had available the past 2 years than even Collins was and that is not a knock on Collins just a compliment to Wommack.

1bigdawg
12-16-2014, 02:39 PM
Wommack had the number 1 scoring defense in the country. Lots of DCs had comparable talent to work with. No one did a better job. I wonder why no one goes after him also.

maroonmania
12-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Wommack had the number 1 scoring defense in the country. Lots of DCs had comparable talent to work with. No one did a better job. I wonder why no one goes after him also.

No doubt, based on what I've seen, if you are just talking coaching a defense on the field I would take Wommack before Collins hands down. Now I don't know much about the stuff where he doesn't recruit and all but that may be true given Freeze would probably rather recruit than coach himself.

engie
12-16-2014, 02:49 PM
What makes everyone think people aren't "going after him"?

Why did "no one come after Joe Lee"? It's the same scenario for Wommack...

thf24
12-16-2014, 02:54 PM
I think it might have something to do with his age. Programs are probably looking for younger guys with ambition rather than a career coordinator who's approaching the down swing of his career. Although on the opposite side, that kind of hire would offer you a higher chance of year-to-year stability at the position.

maroonmania
12-16-2014, 02:57 PM
that kind of hire would offer you a higher chance of year-to-year stability at the position.

For a guy performing like Wommack is that would be a definitel plus.

NCDawg
12-16-2014, 03:01 PM
No doubt, based on what I've seen, if you are just talking coaching a defense on the field I would take Wommack before Collins hands down. Now I don't know much about the stuff where he doesn't recruit and all but that may be true given Freeze would probably rather recruit than coach himself.

No doubt Wommack outcoached Collins in the Egg Bowl this year. Of course, it also helped that his defense was so much quicker than our OL. Collins relied on our front 4 to pressure Wallace, which they were unsuccessful in doing. I still don't understand why we didn't blitz more, especially after he saw how much time we were giving Wallace.

Miss. Stake
12-16-2014, 03:08 PM
No doubt Wommack outcoached Collins in the Egg Bowl this year. Of course, it also helped that his defense was so much quicker than our OL. Collins relied on our front 4 to pressure Wallace, which they were unsuccessful in doing. I still don't understand why we didn't blitz more, especially after he saw how much time we were giving Wallace.

Wallace didn't burn us, their run game did and our poor tackling

Alldawg
12-16-2014, 03:45 PM
He told Freeze that he would move to Oxford with him but that was his last coaching move. I am sure he has told his agent the same thing.

1bigdawg
12-16-2014, 03:58 PM
He told Freeze that he would move to Oxford with him but that was his last coaching move. I am sure he has told his agent the same thing.

Why would he have told Freeze this?

Alldawg
12-16-2014, 04:22 PM
From what I was told, Womack did not want to initially move to Oxford from Arkansas State and start again with his age. Take it for what it is worth, just hear say

jimbo352
12-16-2014, 04:57 PM

This.

Wommack is 60, with grandkids, and no aspirations of being a head coach. Probably about to get a raise, and he doesn't have to recruit. Dude has it made compared to the hours most DC's work.

Collins moved on because he wants to be a head coach someday. He could have gotten that if he stuck with us, but sometimes it's best to strike while the iron is hot. Other Universities will say ooh and ahh at the fact we hired him, and then Florida went after him... You know... He must be an amazing coach if Florida goes after him... cough cough Muschamp cough Zook cough... Taking that Florida job got him some pub, that's all.

jimbo352
12-16-2014, 04:58 PM
I appreciate all he did here, but we'll be okay.

EAVdog
12-16-2014, 06:15 PM
Wommack also had some horrendous Defenses in the past. Was basically fired by Paul Johnson at GT. I'll give the guy credit he's finally peaking in his profession.

EAVdog
12-16-2014, 06:17 PM
I appreciate all he did here, but we'll be okay.

I agree, as long as we don't too big a hit in Recruiting. And I don't think we will. I'm actually a little excited to see who the next up and comer will be. Our defense has been good under Collins but I think it can be better.

I don't think he'll flame out like Diaz but the Peter Principle in coaching can be pretty harsh.

ScottH
12-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Age.
Doesn't like to recruit off campus.
He has ended up with the perfect talent for what he likes to do. Sorta like Joe Lee had to have lock down corners.