PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi State AD Scott Stricklin remains hopeful Dan will sign exttension offer

Miss. Stake
12-16-2014, 09:44 AM
"Dan Mullen: Dan Mullen told the Clarion-Ledger via text that he hasn?t had any direct discussions with any other schools. Mississippi State AD Scott Stricklin added he remains hopeful that Dan will eventually agree to an extension at Mississippi State but so far has not signed their offer."

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

wtf is going on. Why can't we get Dan to sign our extension. This is becoming worrisome and a little embarrassing.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2014, 09:52 AM
agree, why isn't he signing it?

Scott could come out looking weak here with Mullen and Collins

Political Hack
12-16-2014, 09:52 AM
it's called contract negotiations. Strick throwing that out in the press is bush league though. Way to go grasshopper.

maroonmania
12-16-2014, 09:57 AM
agree, why isn't he signing it?

Scott could come out looking weak here with Mullen and Collins

I agree, throwing this out there in the press at the same time Collins is making a lateral jump makes us look pretty small time.

mparkerfd20
12-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Whatever it is, it's still troubling. We sure do suck when it comes to controlling the media or making it work for us around signing days (JUCO and HS). If we have to hire a new staff completely (which I think it doubtful at this point, but you never know) it would undo most of the good this year created.

Political Hack
12-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Whatever it is, it's still troubling. We sure do suck when it comes to controlling the media or making it work for us around signing days (JUCO and HS). If we have to hire a new staff completely (which I think it doubtful at this point, but you never know) it would undo most of the good this year created.

lol. There's nowhere for Dan to go. Strick knows this, which is why he's not budging on upping the offer. CDM's agent is trying to use the Michigan opening as a threat, but it's not working. Strick is smart enough (hopefully) to know that Michigan is going to hire a pro coach at this point. That's the only reason they've been coachless for this long. No way they're sitting around waiting on a college coach. It'll be two more weeks of BS until the NFL season is over for a lot of coaches and then we'll see some traction.

Despite saying that, throwing this crap out in the media is absolute garbage. terrible, dumb, bush league, can't manage his way out of a wet paper bag crap... If he has to manage another coaching search, our football program will potentially die overnight.

MetEdDawg
12-16-2014, 10:15 AM
lol. There's nowhere for Dan to go. Strick knows this, which is why he's not budging on upping the offer. CDM's agent is trying to use the Michigan opening as a threat, but it's not working. Strick is smart enough (hopefully) to know that Michigan is going to hire a pro coach at this point. That's the only reason they've been coachless for this long. No way they're sitting around waiting on a college coach. It'll be two more weeks of BS until the NFL season is over for a lot of coaches and then we'll see some traction.

Despite saying that, throwing this crap out in the media is absolute garbage. terrible, dumb, bush league, can't manage his way out of a wet paper bag crap... If he has to manage another coaching search, our football program will potentially die overnight.

Well we need to pay Dan Mullen. There should be no question about that. Mullen probably wants 5 million, but we don't want to give him that and rightfully so. But he does need to make 4-4.5 million and get the staff good raises. I'm not sure why there would be a hold up except for public perception on Mullen's part.

But I 100% agree on this crap getting out. It's inexcuseable and they both should be reamed for it.

War Machine Dawg
12-16-2014, 10:21 AM

But I 100% agree on this crap getting out. It's inexcuseable and they both should be reamed for it.

To say I have very little confidence in Strick as our AD would be a large understatement. Our GOB system got him the job way before he was ready and now we're paying the price. He desperately needed to go be an AD somewhere smaller first. Unlike Byrne, he didn't grow up around the job and have it in his DNA. That's why Byrne could be a great AD with no experience. Strick has managed to screw up as much as he's done right, so far as I'm concerned.

BulldogDX55
12-16-2014, 10:23 AM
It's because of Jimmy Sexton, the top agent for collegiate coaches.

Dude drags out negotiations a bit, getting his clients massive paydays. I'd blame him more than any other single person for the inflation of coaching salaries.

HancockCountyDog
12-16-2014, 10:26 AM
It's because of Jimmy Sexton, the top agent for collegiate coaches.

Dude drags out negotiations a bit, getting his clients massive paydays. I'd blame him more than any other single person for the inflation of coaching salaries.

Im almost positive that Dan doesn't have Sexton as his agent. Unless that has changed recently - I feel confident that is right.

blacklistedbully
12-16-2014, 10:27 AM
The day TSUN gave Bucky that ridiculous bump in salary, I posted it was probably going to "F" things up for everybody. Steinbrenner did it with the Yankees.

Bjork's idiocy is now probably biting us in the butt. Perhaps Strick has offered a generous raise, but is trying to avoid the stupid money Bjork gave Freeze. of course Dan's agent is holding the Freeze contract up as the new bar. Dan & staff accomplished more than Freeze & staff, so they are probably looking for more money.

Congrats, Ole Miss tools, your moronic AD just took the extra money our schools could have used to continue closing the gap on upper-tier teams and made it necessary for us to use that money to over-pay coaches, just to keep up with each other, just like before!

quickstrike2
12-16-2014, 10:31 AM
I would like to know what the difference is in negotiations right now. If Scott is playing hardball over some small amount or even a medium amount, I just don't get understand it. Hopefully with Collins leaving this morning shows him that bullshit walks.

dawgpound
12-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Dan is trying to use some of these other jobs as leverage. If any of these schools contact him then he will be able to use it to get more money

Dawgtini
12-16-2014, 10:38 AM
"Dan Mullen: Dan Mullen told the Clarion-Ledger via text that he hasn?t had any direct discussions with any other schools. Mississippi State AD Scott Stricklin added he remains hopeful that Dan will eventually agree to an extension at Mississippi State but so far has not signed their offer."

wtf is going on. Why can't we get Dan to sign our extension. This is becoming worrisome and a little embarrassing.

Try this one from MSU SCOOP (https://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2014/12/15/mullen-refutes-job-rumors-stricklin-optimistic-on-finalizing-contract-extension/)

Jack Lambert
12-16-2014, 10:49 AM
Well we need to pay Dan Mullen. There should be no question about that. Mullen probably wants 5 million, but we don't want to give him that and rightfully so. But he does need to make 4-4.5 million and get the staff good raises. I'm not sure why there would be a hold up except for public perception on Mullen's part.

how do we know the offer is not that much? Maybe Mullen's agent is using the Michingan opening to get even more money. That's his job and he get paid a percentage so the more Dan makes the more he makes.

MetEdDawg
12-16-2014, 11:04 AM
how do we know the offer is not that much? Maybe Mullen's agent is using the Michingan opening to get even more money. That's his job and he get paid a percentage so the more Dan makes the more he makes.

My guess is the offer IS around 4.5 million, but Mullen wants 5 million which is absurd. My guess is that's where the hang up is. Mullen and his agent want to get around 5 million but we don't want to pay that much. I'm just guessing here. No insider information but I have to imagine there is a base salary hang up here and to me those numbers make sense from both camps which is why I believe that could be the hang up.

Political Hack
12-16-2014, 11:05 AM
Try this one from MSU SCOOP (https://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2014/12/15/mullen-refutes-job-rumors-stricklin-optimistic-on-finalizing-contract-extension/)

this part, less than 24 hours before Collins leaves, inspires a lot of confidence.... "He continued to say he and his assistants are committed to MSU, despite reports indicating otherwise."

Political Hack
12-16-2014, 11:06 AM
My guess is the offer IS around 4.5 million, but Mullen wants 5 million which is absurd. My guess is that's where the hang up is. Mullen and his agent want to get around 5 million but we don't want to pay that much. I'm just guessing here. No insider information but I have to imagine there is a base salary hang up here and to me those numbers make sense from both camps which is why I believe that could be the hang up.

Collins leaving could throw a wrinkle into the budget. They may have to set an amount for a new DC before finalizing CDM's contract.

Liverpooldawg
12-16-2014, 11:09 AM
It's hilarious to me that a lot is people were blasting Collins bad during the season but now the sky is falling.

MetEdDawg
12-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Collins leaving could throw a wrinkle into the budget. They may have to set an amount for a new DC before finalizing CDM's contract.

I would be perfectly fine with that. I want a big hire and preferrably someone that could come in and demand something high enough to have to rework the budget.

I want us to pay people and I want us to pay them well. Collins shit the bed in the Egg Bowl but our defense was pretty damn good. We need to pay a DC an amount of money that leads to expectations of being good every year.

In today's college football world, getting paid 600K to be the DC of a top tier SEC defense (which we are) is just asking that person to go get better money from another school. Up that to 800K or 900K or so and the number of potential suitors elsewhere goes down drastically while also stating that our DC job requires a certain level of performance.

DownwardDawg
12-16-2014, 11:55 AM
It's hilarious to me that a lot is people were blasting Collins bad during the season but now the sky is falling.

Yeah. I'm kinda glad he's gone. I don't want to hear about stats. Our defense was not great at all.

maroonmania
12-16-2014, 12:03 PM
Yeah. I'm kinda glad he's gone. I don't want to hear about stats. Our defense was not great at all.

Well, I'm not glad. I would like to see some continuity on that side of the ball for a change. We had a good scoring defense even if we fell statistically. Last year, Collins had like the 5th best total defense in the SEC. This year that fell off some primarily based on poor secondary play but I still think Collins was a much better DC than Wilson and maybe the best we've had under Mullen. The only other option would be Diaz but he only hung around for one year and then failed at Texas so its hard to say. But Collins was certainly the best recruiting DC we've had, that goes without question. We could certainly do a lot worse than Wilson, guess we will see.

Dawgology
12-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Okay guys...settle down. Contract negotiations usually include assistant coaches as well. This thing with Collins has slowed the process down. Now that it's more or less settled that he's leaving, a replacement has to be made. It will all be ironed out now but this part had to happen first.

MabenMaroon
12-16-2014, 12:13 PM

Unbelievable, that folks are still reading the crap promulgated by tsun alumn written third rate blog site, what is more unbelievable is that folks are putting credence to what spills out of that sewage tank.

sandwolf
12-16-2014, 01:49 PM

Just to be clear, the above quote is just footballscoop.com's summary of where things currently stand with Mullen......that is not a direct quote from Stricklin. Here is Stricklin's direct quote from the CL article that is sourced by footballscoop.com:

"We want to make sure we reward Dan for what he's done and also continue to invest going forward not only in him but his whole staff," Stricklin said. "I think we'll be in position to do that. We've had productive conversations and I'm hopeful we'll get that wrapped up."

rbdog82
12-16-2014, 01:51 PM
Im almost positive that Dan doesn't have Sexton as his agent. Unless that has changed recently - I feel confident that is right.

You'd be correct.

Dawgtini
12-16-2014, 02:10 PM
Just to be clear, the above quote is just footballscoop.com's summary of where things currently stand with Mullen......that is not a direct quote from Stricklin. Here is Stricklin's direct quote from the CL article that is sourced by footballscoop.com:

Exactly. Nothing about "agreeing to our offer". Just that they agree he is going to stay and they are working to get a mutually agreeable contract.