PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Interviews

MsStateBaseball
12-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Gene interviewed Cohen and Mingione (yet to interview Butch) about what happened in the fall, here is the recap from what I got out of it.

Wes Rea obviously is the starter, Trent Waddell and Cole Gordon are the backups.
Cohen did say John Holland is the second baseman. So Heck is the SS. Raved about Fr Ryan Gridley (as I have), needs to get him some PT.
Cohen said Luke Reynolds is a great player, hitter, etc, but is inexperienced when it comes to SEC play. This means to me Britton is the starter right now.
Mingion talked about the OF and C. Collins is the starter at C and by what he said Lovelady is #2.
The OF's are deep and talented. My feelings are there will be a rotation and not the same 3 guys.

Again, the DH position is very important. I think right now, Reynolds (left) and Rooker (right) are the DH's. Based on the interviews I read.

1B-Rea
2B-Holland
SS-Heck
3B-Britton
C-Collins

OF is a mixture of Robson, Smith, Brown, Vickerson and Humphreys. I think when Hump is not the LF then he is the DH.

Once SEC play starts the infield will stay the same but the OF will have a rotation based on the opposing pitcher.

When Gene interviews Butch, I will put on here what he means about the rotation, etc.

War Machine Dawg
12-16-2014, 09:53 AM
So The Tinkerer isn't going to start Holland? An elite player from a CWS team at FSU? I'm shocked he'd do something else. Shocked, I say.******

engie
12-16-2014, 10:05 AM
So The Tinkerer isn't going to start Holland? An elite player from a CWS team at FSU? I'm shocked he'd do something else. Shocked, I say.******

What planet did you read that on?

War Machine Dawg
12-16-2014, 10:12 AM
What planet did you read that on?

You're right, epic FAIL on my part. Reading comprehension this morning is lacking. I'm a little surprised Holland is at 2B instead of SS, considering Heck's arm isn't as good. But at least we've got the right guys up the middle so far.

MsStateBaseball
12-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Speaking of arm strength, Cohen did go into that. Heck has the "weakest" arm of them all. Holland, Gridley, Reynolds, Spruill all have stronger. Those guys are prob 90-93 MPH while Heck is in the high 80's range.

MsStateBaseball
12-16-2014, 10:29 AM
But Heck is damn good at positioning his body to scoop and throw fast, getting it out of his glove, etc.

messageboardsuperhero
12-16-2014, 10:34 AM
You're right, epic FAIL on my part. Reading comprehension this morning is lacking. I'm a little surprised Holland is at 2B instead of SS, considering Heck's arm isn't as good. But at least we've got the right guys up the middle so far.

Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Holland took over SS and moved Heck to 2B. Cohen heavily implied that this was pretty likely in the interview when I read it- but he said for now, Holland will start at 2B with Heck at short.

Cohen also said that this team is the best collection of infield arms he's ever coached and maybe ever seen in college baseball. With Britton, Holland, Reynolds, Gridley, Spurril, etc. Cohen actually says Spurril's arm is every bit as good as Britton's so he may be a guy to watch.

MsStateBaseball
12-16-2014, 10:40 AM
The infield defense will be superb. The OF is fast. All we need is the pitchers to develop and stay healthy. I said this in early fall, I think we can be pretty good. I think we can win a Regional. Just depends on who is opposite in the Super.

bulldogcountry1
12-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Heck plays a very boring SS, and I mean that as a great complement. He's not going to dazzle with his glove or arm, but he makes all the routine plays very efficiently and quietly.

I was concerned that his arm would hurt us last year, but he would always do just enough to get the ball over to first in time.

Political Hack
12-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Heck plays a very boring SS, and I mean that as a great complement. He's not going to dazzle with his glove or arm, but he makes all the routine plays very efficiently and quietly.

I was concerned that his arm would hurt us last year, but he would always do just enough to get the ball over to first in time.

lol. Throughout the course of the season, it went from nerve racking to a weird confidence even when the play was close.

Coach34
12-16-2014, 11:27 AM
We probably have the best defensive IF in the country

War Machine Dawg
12-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Holland took over SS and moved Heck to 2B. Cohen heavily implied that this was pretty likely in the interview when I read it- but he said for now, Holland will start at 2B with Heck at short.

Cohen also said that this team is the best collection of infield arms he's ever coached and maybe ever seen in college baseball. With Britton, Holland, Reynolds, Gridley, Spurril, etc. Cohen actually says Spurril's arm is every bit as good as Britton's so he may be a guy to watch.

Pretty much what I'm thinking. And if that is true about Spurril's arm.....WOW.

engie
12-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Pretty much what I'm thinking. And if that is true about Spurril's arm.....WOW.

Cohen definitely said it... It's in a free read on Gene's...

maroonmania
12-16-2014, 03:31 PM

Agreed, I kept telling folks that Heck would be very difficult to unseat as SS due to his consistency and high fielding percentage. And I have seen him throw out guys from deep in the hole so he has a very good arm even if not a rocket arm like Britton. Arm strength is not the first thing I look for in a SS. Consistency in fielding the ball and accuracy to first to me come before actual speed of the throws as long as the speed is good enough.

SouthMsDawg
12-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Kinda disappointed that there is no mention of Swinarski in the OF or DH mix.

MsStateBaseball
12-16-2014, 03:38 PM
Swinarski will get some time late in games. Cohen will use him as a PH too late in games when we are behind. He and Rooker are the power guys off the bench.

MsStateBaseball
12-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Remember, Spruill's older brother just got traded to the Astros I believe. He is a relief pitcher but he is like 6-5 230. Spruill will really be good next year when he has some experience. He is another really good recruit.