PDA

View Full Version : Dear Scott Striklin, why are we losing assistants for parallel jobs?

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2014, 08:55 AM
First Manny Diaz and now Geoff Collins,

What are we losing assistants to parallel jobs?

I get losing coaches for promotions, but losing coaches to parallel jobs calls into the question the quality of the MSU job.

We were just ranked #1 for much of the year, and Collins' job security was extremely strong. So, there seems to be little reason for him to leave, other than him just wanting to.

So, again, why are we losing coaches to parallel jobs?

You can't build a sustained winner doing that. Must have stability

Coach34
12-16-2014, 08:59 AM
because he can recruit Fla and have a better chance to play in the SEC title game each year

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2014, 09:02 AM
because he can recruit Fla and have a better chance to play in the SEC title game each year

I get that, but it doesn't look good at all, and it really puts MSU in it's place when it happens. Ellis Johnson, Manny Diaz, & Geoff Collins all left for parallel positions. MSU must correct this if we truly want to take this thing to the next level on a year in year out basis.

My main concern is how pissed Mullen may be about this. If Mullen keeps losing top assistants, he can't help but want to leave right?

Miss. Stake
It is extremely difficult to work for an egotistical arrogant ass hole like Dan Mullen. No I am not hating on Dan, it's just a fact. Could you imagine if he was your boss.

CJDAWG85
I thought his next move would be a HC job. Good luck Geoff

Thick
12-16-2014, 09:04 AM

^^^^This^^^^

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2014, 09:05 AM
^^^^This^^^^

I get it, but we can't continue to lose assistants like this. It makes building a sustained winner almost impossible.

FISHDAWG
12-16-2014, 09:09 AM
It is extremely difficult to work for an egotistical arrogant ass hole like Dan Mullen. No I am not hating on Dan, it's just a fact. Could you imagine if he was your boss.

maybe he realized Mullen isn't leaving anytime soon ...... and most bosses expect results, Dan is no different. Collins succeeded because of pretty good talent up front but just wasn't able to bring the secondary in line for whatever reason.... and yes, you ARE hating on Mullen, at least it sure sounds like it

civildawg
12-16-2014, 09:09 AM
Parallel Jobs??!?!?! Seriously, you think our job is the same level as Florida or Texas? dude you are smoking something

GreenheadDawg
12-16-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm sure he got sick of being micromanaged and forced to run a boring bend don't break defense. I can't blame him. Mullen has some growing up to do and let his coaches coach or this will be a recurring theme

SallyStansbury
12-16-2014, 09:13 AM

I get losing coaches for promotions, but losing coaches to parallel jobs calls into the question the quality of the MSU job.

We were just ranked #1 for much of the year, and Collins' job security was extremely strong. So, there seems to be little reason for him to leave, other than him just wanting to.

First, Diaz got a big pay bump so that wasn't a lateral.
Second, you can argue that UF is a step up but that is debatable.

I suspect Mullen is a difficult boss to work for with micromanaging tendencies. I saw our D become more and more passive as the year wore on, less juice and mayhem and more bend but don't break. My working hypothesis is that it was Mullen inflicting himself on the D play calling. If you are Collins and are handcuffed an made to run a certain style of D likely against your better judgement what do you do? You take a lateral If offered.

This is pure conjecture, just watching the tendencies of our head coach I speculate this happened.

Mullen gets to run off all the coordinators he wants so long as he goes 10-2? I appreciate him and what he does.

I kind of smile at the thought of Mullen trying to micro manage O and tell him to bend but don't break, etc. I laugh at that, but it might be what Mullen needs to keep his meddling hands off our defense.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2014, 09:16 AM

I suspect Mullen is a difficult boss to work for with micromanaging tendencies. I saw our D become more and more passive as the year wore on, less juice and mayhem and more bend but don't break. My working hypothesis is that it was Mullen inflicting himself on the D play calling. If you are Collins and are handcuffed an made to run a certain style of D likely against your better judgement what do you do? You take a lateral If offered.

This is pure conjecture, just watching the tendencies of our head coach I speculate this happened.

Mullen gets to run off all the coordinators he wants so long as he goes 10-2? I appreciate him and what he does.

I kind of smile at the thought of Mullen trying to micro manage O and tell him to bend but don't break, etc. I laugh at that, but it might be what Mullen needs to keep his meddling hands off our defense.

Good post, and maybe your right. It just looks bad.

That being said, Saben loses offensive coordinators all the time, and probably does the same thing to the offensive coordinators that Mullen does to the defensive coordinators.

MetEdDawg
12-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Some of you are forgetting he coached in Florida for a while. He's got tons of connections down there. Was the LB/recruiting coordinator at UCF and was the DC at FIU.

He's going to get paid a lot more than he was with us and it's closer to an area he knows. I do think there is probably a little involved here with him and Mullen, but this isn't a lateral move. Just because we have performed better than Florida recently doesn't mean it's a lateral move. He will probably get paid a million dollars or very close to it.

Thick
12-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Parallel Jobs??!?!?! Seriously, you think our job is the same level as Florida or Texas? dude you are smoking something

That's exact what it is! He's DC with a slight bump in pay, that's it. It doesn't matter how you form your answer, he's not taking a promotion, same title, same responsibilities, just a different employer.

campshelbydog
12-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Anyone that is not a state fan thinks that the DC job at Florida is more desirable than the DC job at MSU. That's not really even worth discussing. Perception is reality.

basedog
12-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Happens all the time with assistants leaving, why question it, the reason is for more than one answer which some have been answered above.

For me, I ain't sad Collins is leaving, I never thought he was a great DC, good recruiter yes. No big deal, Mullen has gotten better at choosing a DC every time and I expect the next hire will be better!

Miss. Stake
maybe he realized Mullen isn't leaving anytime soon ...... and most bosses expect results, Dan is no different. Collins succeeded because of pretty good talent up front but just wasn't able to bring the secondary in line for whatever reason.... and yes, you ARE hating on Mullen, at least it sure sounds like it

He's a self proclaimed asshole and has a very large ego that falls under a fairly apparent arrogant umbrella. Putting it bluntly, and maybe a little harsh, doesn't change the fact. We are going to consistently struggle maintaining quality coordinators on the defensive side of the ball.

EAVdog
3 Year contract with increase in pay, yeah that's new territory for the world of assistants.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Anyone that is not a state fan thinks that the DC job at Florida is more desirable than the DC job at MSU. That's not really even worth discussing. Perception is reality.

That's not really the point. On paper it's a parallel job, and, until we are able to keep assistants from jumping to parallel jobs, it's tough to really build a stable, sustained winning environment.

It's the coaching equivalent to having to get a JUCO QB every year.

Beaver
12-16-2014, 09:26 AM
I do think there is probably a little involved here with him and Mullen

Mullen wasn't too happy with Collins after the Egg Bowl...

MetEdDawg
12-16-2014, 09:27 AM
That's exact what it is! He's DC with a slight bump in pay, that's it. It doesn't matter how you form your answer, he's not taking a promotion, same title, same responsibilities, just a different employer.

That's like saying teaching in the inner city Birmingham and teaching in a place like Vestavia Hills or Mountain Brook (I'm an Alabama guy so I'm using Alabama references) are the same thing. Same responsibilities, same pay, just a different employer. It's not. It's a HUGE difference.

And it's not going to be a slight bump. He's probably going to get a million dollars. We might could have gotten him 800K. A 300K bump in pay to work in an area he already knows in a side of the SEC that's easier to win in a recruiting area that's got more talent than it knows what to do with makes sense to me.

SallyStansbury
12-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Good post, and maybe your right. It just looks bad.

That being said, Saben loses offensive coordinators all the time, and probably does the same thing to the offensive coordinators that Mullen does to the defensive coordinators.

Saban gets to do it however he wants, he is Saban....if Mullen can win 9-10 per yr he can too, but think how much fun it is to be Collins or Townsend getting your ass chewed because a bullshit scheme failed to work, and you were rarely allowed to blitz with LBs or stunt/twist with D line blitz packages, but still get blamed if this predictable shit fails? Then have the special teams failure (no accountability) and Hev's superior recruiting prowess, and run Dak run Dak, we can blow them off the ball! And Salach, what does he do again? These yes men hangin around who can do no wrong and it sends morale into the toilet I expect. We have seen it most years and will continue to see it unless Dan grows up. I hope it improves, but I am not holding my breath.

Thick
12-16-2014, 09:33 AM

What's his salary, because I have not seen it reported?

Really Clark?
12-16-2014, 09:34 AM
That's not really the point. On paper it's a parallel job, and, until we are able to keep assistants from jumping to parallel jobs, it's tough to really build a stable, sustained winning environment.

The DC at Florida State last year left to go to Georgia. You are making to big of a deal over this. Assistance leave and to be honest the perception is Flordia is a much higher profile job in the easier division of the SEC. One or two good years and he could be a HC at a pretty good school.

Thick
12-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Saban gets to do it however he wants, he is Saban....if Mullen can win 9-10 per yr he can too, but think how much fun it is to be Collins or Townsend getting your ass chewed because a bullshit scheme failed to work, and you were rarely allowed to blitz with LBs or stunt/twist with D line blitz packages, but still get blamed if this predictable shit fails? Then have the special teams failure (no accountability) and Hev's superior recruiting prowess, and run Dak run Dak, we can blow them off the ball! And Salach, what does he do again? These yes men hangin around who can do no wrong and it sends morale into the toilet I expect. We have seen it most years and will continue to see it unless Dan grows up. I hope it improves, but I am not holding my breath.

Wait one minute, now it's Dan calling the defensive plays too? That's total bullshit. Quit blaming Dan for Collins defensive game plans, schemes, and strategy. I can't believe you can keep a straight face while typing that crap.

Really Clark?
12-16-2014, 09:41 AM

There is an awful lot of supposition that has almost turned into fact that Mullen somehow handcuffed the defense. We don't know that's the case at all. One person made that theory and people are running with it. That may be the case but we played a lot of the same defense early in the year and got burned then to. Not to mention that we played our best competition late in the year and our front four didn't get the push they had been. Seems like the last game it was a lot of missed tackles as well. That had nothing to do with scheme. Maybe he did have them adjust I don't know but I have my doubts that was the case.

Thick
12-16-2014, 09:41 AM
Hey Sally, FYI, a big bump in pay doesn't make it a PROMOTION! He's still a high paid DC with the same responsibilities as he had with us. The OM LB coach that went to USF as the new DC.....that's a promotion!!

SallyStansbury
12-16-2014, 09:47 AM
Wait one minute, now it's Dan calling the defensive plays too? That's total bullshit. Quit blaming Dan for Collins defensive game plans, schemes, and strategy. I can't believe you can keep a straight face while typing that crap.

Can you tell me with certainty that Dan didn't meddle with Collin's play calling and schemes?

I give credit to Dan for this good year and for our program being better now than ever. And for the record, he can replace the D coordinator every single year if we keep winning. I don't think that will work, but he has earned that right.

Dan is very stubborn and appears to be highly risk averse in pressure games and situations. We saw that play out in our defensive play calling and I think Mullen had his hands on it, yes I do. Could I be wrong, yes.

campshelbydog
12-16-2014, 09:49 AM

Well you are bitching about it like it is Mullen or Stricklin's fault that he is leaving. What would you like them to do about the situation? Florida and Texas are always going to be considered higher profile jobs than Mississippi State. I mean damn. It's easier to recruit and win at those type places. That's just how it is. We are what we are. Mullen is slowly changing that, but you don't go from a stepping stone program to a place that no assistant wants to leave overnight. That isn't reality.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2014, 09:50 AM
It is a parallel move, and, if it's not, that's an MSU problem. On paper they are parallel moves and, it will be difficult for MSU to build a sustained winner with our DC job not being considered a parallel job to another DC job

Political Hack
12-16-2014, 09:51 AM
history shows he can become a HC faster if successful at Florida.

whosyourdawgy
12-16-2014, 09:51 AM
All of you saying this is a lateral move are thick between the ears. Collins is getting a 3 year deal which isn't the norm for an assistant coach at all. Collins is making 575k this year at MSU and would've maybe been bumped to 750k after this season. Id be willing to bet that this 3 yr deal is worth damn near 3 million guaranteed so Collins will make 750k more in UF in those 3 years and FL has no state income tax if I'm not mistaken. I'd take that damn lateral move any day and every day and if any of you bitching say you wouldn't you'd even be more of a dumbass

maroonmania
12-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Hey Sally, FYI, a big bump in pay doesn't make it a PROMOTION! He's still a high paid DC with the same responsibilities as he had with us. The OM LB coach that went to USF as the new DC.....that's a promotion!!

Exactly, everyone on here wants to make it about a PROMOTION for Collins. Its not really about that. Yes, he's getting a little more money but fact is, if he was happy here he would not have left for anything less than a HC job. We could have bumped him up some more if that would have kept him. Its a trend which sticks out like a sore thumb that being that its difficult for a DC to work under Mullen. Its reality and no longer should any of us expect a long term guy on defense while Mullen is here. Mullen has not had the same DC for more than 2 years and you can just expect that to continue. And as long as Mullen can get the job done with no continuity on defense it won't matter but that's how its going to be. Now no, a DC is not going to leave for a LOWER paying job (like CW did) unless Mullen actually runs him off but its becoming obvious that it doesn't take too long under Mullen as DC for guys to start shopping around. At this point you might as well accept it.

Dawgtini
12-16-2014, 09:54 AM

This. Diaz, per Scott, was offered more $$$. He left for the prestige of UT. He and Collins both are going to another program, building that resume in order to become HEAD COACHES. Collins had a multi-year deal here and top 40 $$$. He had to leave to build that resume and have the opportunity to take a team to the SEC title game and get even more exposure. Look at a resume that says coached with Saban, O'Liery, Mullen, DC at MSU and UF. Might make a decent head coach in a year or two with success with all those FL recruits. They are loaded right now at D. D was not the problem at UF. These were NOT lateral moves. Ellis Johnson???? Really?? You have an option to get out and increase your pay and not be tied to Croom??? No comparison there.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
12-16-2014, 09:56 AM
All of you saying this is a lateral move are thick between the ears. Collins is getting a 3 year deal which isn't the norm for an assistant coach at all. Collins is making 575k this year at MSU and would've maybe been bumped to 750k after this season. Id be willing to bet that this 3 yr deal is worth damn near 3 million guaranteed so Collins will make 750k more in UF in those 3 years and FL has no state income tax if I'm not mistaken. I'd take that damn lateral move any day and every day and if any of you bitching say you wouldn't you'd even be more of a dumbass

Not to mention that with all the Defensive talent UF already has, if he goes over there and McElwain pulls 2 straight 10-2 or better years with an SECE championship, then he's going to get himself a head coaching job somewhere. He could get himself one here, but he will be much more visible and high profile at UF. I don't think this move is that hard to understand. Sure, it is a gamble for him. Manny gambled and lost. We will see with Collins.

Thick
12-16-2014, 09:58 AM
I think you are absolutely reaching. Collins is apparently taking a pay raise, and he's taking over a defense that has a lot of returners on it. If you left your current job to take the same position but for a higher salary, and you gave your friends and family your new business cards and it has the same title as your old card. Would you tell everyone you got promoted, or would you say you left for more money? Remember the only thing that has changed on the business card is the name of your employer.

Dawgtini
12-16-2014, 09:59 AM
Can you tell me with certainty that Dan didn't meddle with Collin's play calling and schemes?

I give credit to Dan for this good year and for our program being better now than ever. And for the record, he can replace the D coordinator every single year if we keep winning. I don't think that will work, but he has earned that right.

Dan is very stubborn and appears to be highly risk averse in pressure games and situations. We saw that play out in our defensive play calling and I think Mullen had his hands on it, yes I do. Could I be wrong, yes.

Can you tell me with certainty that Dan did meddle??? No. Opinion and conjecture that you have decided is truth.

campshelbydog
It is a parallel move, and, if it's not, that's an MSU problem. On paper they are parallel moves and, it will be difficult for MSU to build a sustained winner with our DC job not being considered a parallel job to another DC job

It is a MSU problem, but it certainly isn't a parallel move on paper or anything else. He is going to a more prestigious program that can pay him more and offer him an easier route to becoming a head coach. Yes, it will be difficult for us to build a sustained winner for reasons like this. That's why we are going to pay Mullen 4 million dollars a year. To figure it out.

maroonmania
Not to mention that with all the Defensive talent UF already has, if he goes over there and McElwain pulls 2 straight 10-2 or better years with an SECE championship, then he's going to get himself a head coaching job somewhere. He could get himself one here, but he will be much more visible and high profile at UF. I don't think this move is that hard to understand. Sure, it is a gamble for him. Manny gambled and lost. We will see with Collins.

Guys that are TRULY happy at their current job don't gamble on lateral or just above lateral moves.

Political Hack
12-16-2014, 10:00 AM

yep, and he gets to do it against Kentucky, Vandy, UT, Georgia, Mizzu, & South Carolina instead of A&M, Auburn, Bama, Ole Miss, and Arkansas.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
12-16-2014, 10:00 AM
I think you are absolutely reaching. Collins is apparently taking a pay raise, and he's taking over a defense that has a lot of returners on it. If you left your current job to take the same position but for a higher salary, and you gave your friends and family your new business cards and it has the same title as your old card. Would you tell everyone you got promoted, or would you say you left for more money? Remember the only thing that has changed on the business card is the name of your employer.

There's a lot more to taking a new job than just a promotion, in all fields. More money, more exposure to whatever it is that you care about, better working environments, change of scenery, higher ceiling, better benefits both in-job and ancilary, and on and on...

maroonmania
12-16-2014, 10:06 AM

It is a parallel move, moreso now that at any other time in SEC history. We have made significant strides up and FL, since Urban's hayday, has made strides downward. This wreaks of a guy that is looking for a "slightly" better position because he is not totally happy with his current situation.

Thick
12-16-2014, 10:06 AM
There's a lot more to taking a new job than just a promotion, in all fields. More money, more exposure to whatever it is that you care about, better working environments, change of scenery, higher ceiling, better benefits both in-job and ancilary, and on and on...

Well, how do you know it's a better work environment? He's never worked under the new HC. I would agree with change of scenery, and MAYBE exposure (SEC network levels that up). On paper, it's just a pay raise for the same job description.

RougeDawg
12-16-2014, 10:09 AM
There is an awful lot of supposition that has almost turned into fact that Mullen somehow handcuffed the defense. We don't know that's the case at all. One person made that theory and people are running with it. That may be the case but we played a lot of the same defense early in the year and got burned then to. Not to mention that we played our best competition late in the year and our front four didn't get the push they had been. Seems like the last game it was a lot of missed tackles as well. That had nothing to do with scheme. Maybe he did have them adjust I don't know but I have my doubts that was the case.

If the defensive scheme alterations this season were not paralleled with similar offensive changes, people wouldn't have any reason to argue that Mullen handcuffed the defensive play calling. Offensive and defensive playcalling went full on conservative almost simultaneously, right around the Kentucky game. For those that think these are just coincidental and not Mullen's doing, I've got a dozen bridges for sale, PM me.

dawgpound
12-16-2014, 10:15 AM
I doubt Collins is very fond of Mullen especially after Mullen's comments after the Egg bowl... you can't blame him for wanting to go to Florida taking a pay raise instead of working for Mullen after all that

campshelbydog
12-16-2014, 10:28 AM
I'm pretty shocked that there is anyone, much less multiple people, that don't realize that the UF DC job is a step up from our DC job. That's not a debate.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2014, 10:29 AM
I doubt Collins is very fond of Mullen especially after Mullen's comments after the Egg bowl... you can't blame him for wanting to go to Florida taking a pay raise instead of working for Mullen after all that

You mean Collins wouldn't be fond of the man that gave him his biggest opportunity of his career? Smart people don't make emotional decisions, and I would seriously doubt Mullen's post game comments had anything to do with this

whosyourdawgy
12-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Yep. That's just idotic. Collins isn't a 14 year old teenager that is gonna get pissed or sulk because his boss got on him. Hell I'd be willing to bet Collins was embarrassed at that performance too. He is leaving for more money w a 3 year deal and a step closer to reaching his goal to be a head coach.

HSVDawg
12-16-2014, 11:40 AM
Some of you are making this more complicated than it is. It's all about the money (and yes, that falls on Stricklin). Everyone acted all giddy when we gave a raise up to $600k or whatever, but the truth is that wasn't crap compared to what other DC's in the SEC and nationally were making. Collins this year was, by far, the highest paid assistant coach we have ever had at MSU and he was still only like 40th in the country in total compensation for assistant coaches. You want a way to guarantee good DC's come and stay at MSU? Find $1,000,000 per year to pay them. That simple.

TheDogFather
12-16-2014, 11:59 AM

I'm the biggest MSU supporter there is and I'll defend them to no end, but Florida and Texas are not "parallel jobs".

drunkernhelldawg
12-16-2014, 12:09 PM
Guys that are TRULY happy at their current job don't gamble on lateral or just above lateral moves.

Coaching is different. I suspect that a lot of assistants enjoy changing jobs every few years. Fresh water in the pool.

Bothrops
12-16-2014, 12:10 PM
I agree Florida is definitely no parallel job, Texas job..a bit overrated, since Texas doesn't produce the defensive talent the southeast does.

drunkernhelldawg
12-16-2014, 12:14 PM
You mean Collins wouldn't be fond of the man that gave him his biggest opportunity of his career? Smart people don't make emotional decisions, and I would seriously doubt Mullen's post game comments had anything to do with this

He's a top coordinator with multiple offers. He can afford to put some emotion in it. I don't think it matters much that he's left. I loved his work, but assistant coaches are going to move on. That's how that business works.

maroonmania
12-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Some of you are making this more complicated than it is. It's all about the money (and yes, that falls on Stricklin). Everyone acted all giddy when we gave a raise up to $600k or whatever, but the truth is that wasn't crap compared to what other DC's in the SEC and nationally were making. Collins this year was, by far, the highest paid assistant coach we have ever had at MSU and he was still only like 40th in the country in total compensation for assistant coaches. You want a way to guarantee good DC's come and stay at MSU? Find $1,000,000 per year to pay them. That simple.

In TODAY'S SEC world, if we truly were intent on keeping Collins it wouldn't be a big deal for us to bump him to 1 mil per year. $400K difference is chump change if it means that's what you have to do to compete for an SEC West title. If we don't want to compete then we can go back to paying 300-400K per year and make our yearly secondary bowl game and call it a day.

Bothrops
12-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Well one thing is for sure, we're going to have put a lot more emphasis on pay if we want to attract a new DC that we really want.

Tbonewannabe
12-16-2014, 12:49 PM

So you wouldn't change jobs for a 30% pay increase? He can get a head coaching gig from UF just like he could with us. It isn't like he played at MSU and has loyalty built in.

Really Clark?
12-16-2014, 12:54 PM
So you wouldn't change jobs for a 30% pay increase? He can get a head coaching gig from UF just like he could with us. It isn't like he played at MSU and has loyalty built in.

I argue that he can get a bigger higher profile HC from Florida than he could leaving directly from us. That also makes this appear a step up in job.

basedog
12-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Collins was a nice man, maybe to nice who knows, but I didn't see his name for any HC anywhere, we needed a change on defense! Poor schemes but talent helped more than Collins.

PMDawg
12-16-2014, 01:05 PM

It's not SS. It's Mullen.

HSVDawg
12-16-2014, 01:47 PM
In TODAY'S SEC world, if we truly were intent on keeping Collins it wouldn't be a big deal for us to bump him to 1 mil per year. $400K difference is chump change if it means that's what you have to do to compete for an SEC West title. If we don't want to compete then we can go back to paying 300-400K per year and make our yearly secondary bowl game and call it a day.

Agreed 100%

TUSK
12-16-2014, 04:23 PM

Technically, same job, but not sure "parallel/lateral" is completely accurate.

IMissJack
12-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Texas and Florida are not a lateral, settle down. Secondly, I used to freak out about this kind of thing, but as we saw with Diaz, everyone is replaceable. Sometimes the grass doesn't turn out greener either (ask TX if they still like Manny). That being said, we need this hire to be a good one, because Mullen will be the recruiting face of the offense since he is an offensive coach. We need someone that can be the face of the D from day one, and keep up the recruiting.

I loved Collins' energy, and the 1A's, but I have to say I was not a fan of the wholesale substitutions this year, and our pass defense was horrific. Our scoring D numbers are what got Collins calls, not the overall D rankings.

Hot Rock
12-16-2014, 09:38 PM
I agree Florida is definitely no parallel job, Texas job..a bit overrated, since Texas doesn't produce the defensive talent the southeast does.

Do what?

Texas produces more NFL talent than any other state besides California.

Thick
12-16-2014, 10:33 PM

That's what I said..."Collins got a pay raise, but his job description is the same at UF as it was at MSU...DC"! Not one time in this entire thread have I mentioned anything about loyalty to us or anybody else for that matter. Some of our own fans just don't think enough of our own program to call a spade a spade. I really have never cared for Collins approach defensively...ever. And I did play ball at MSU, so yeah, I actually do know what I'm talking about.

All I have said is that he's taking a pay raise for the same position that he had at MSU. In my eyes, it is what it is, the money and the opportunity to coach in the weaker division of the SEC. The latter might get him a few looks for HC jobs.