PDA

View Full Version : Trey Porter - GREAT teammate

Will James
06-17-2013, 02:39 PM
I think if somebody gives this guy a look he would make a quality minor leaguer, one of those diamonds in the rough. It's bullshit that we haven't been playing him and if we face a RHP it will continue to be bullshit if he's on the bench. You can't say enough about him as a teammate because if it was me I'd be a pissed off motherf... I'm ticked and I'm just a fan. Hopefully he can contribute in a big way the rest of the CWS.

"I'm just glad to be here and help out any way I can," Porter said. "It's easy to get down when you're not playing, but it's even easier to have fun when you've got a bunch of guys on the team that you love to be around and love to compete with. You want to see everybody succeed, and you want to be able to help out whenever your name is called. I've had a lot of fun this year."

Bo Darville
06-17-2013, 02:54 PM
It's bullshit that we haven't been playing him and if we face a RHP it will continue to be bullshit if he's on the bench.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

So far, what Cohen has done has worked. We are in the CWS in the winner's bracket.

because if it was me I'd be a pissed off motherf...

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Glad you aren't on the team then. We are in the CWS, just 4 wins from a national championship, and we don't need a Will James primadonna being angry over his playing time.

MSUDawg4Life
06-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Tell 'em, Bo.

Bo Darville
06-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Tell 'em, Bo.

Seriously. We are 4 wins from a national freaking championship. Pause and let that soak in for a minute.

To Porter's credit he has evidently kept a great attitude. However, if one of the bench players (porter, flair, evan mitchell, lindgren for example) started bitching about their playing time and hollering "me, me, me", I would want to kill them. Four wins from a national championship people. FOUR WINS. FOUR FREAKING WINS!

This is not the time to worry about yourself. It is time to worry about the team and what you can do to help the team win. But Will James would be "a pissed off motherf..." (his exact words).

Goat Holder
06-17-2013, 03:35 PM
No doubt. Willie boy is in a boat by himself on this one. Time to let it go.

swdawg
06-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Ha - "Willie boy" - thanks for this.

No doubt. Willie boy is in a boat by himself on this one. Time to let it go.

Will James
06-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Seriously. We are 4 wins from a national freaking championship. Pause and let that soak in for a minute.

To Porter's credit he has evidently kept a great attitude. However, if one of the bench players (porter, flair, evan mitchell, lindgren for example) started bitching about their playing time and hollering "me, me, me", I would want to kill them. Four wins from a national championship people. FOUR WINS. FOUR FREAKING WINS!

This is not the time to worry about yourself. It is time to worry about the team and what you can do to help the team win. But Will James would be "a pissed off motherf..." (his exact words).

No shit guy, my point was a season long point. Can't have a discussion without the nitpickers coming out I reckon. "So far what Cohen has done has worked" is not an argument. It's not like I'm blowing up the lineup dunce, just swapping the DH. But even that discussion is over your head I guess Lenny. I want the best chance to get those four freaking wins.

AROB44
06-17-2013, 03:52 PM
There is nothing "nitpicking" about responding to the fact that YOU would be a "pissed of motherf". AND you are wrong...."what Cohen has done has worked" in not only a ligitimate argument.....it is the ONLY thing that matters.

swdawg
06-17-2013, 04:17 PM
So, in other words, Will James - NOT a great teammate. Shocking...

I think if somebody gives this guy a look he would make a quality minor leaguer, one of those diamonds in the rough. It's bullshit that we haven't been playing him and if we face a RHP it will continue to be bullshit if he's on the bench. You can't say enough about him as a teammate because if it was me I'd be a pissed off motherf... I'm ticked and I'm just a fan. Hopefully he can contribute in a big way the rest of the CWS.

"I'm just glad to be here and help out any way I can," Porter said. "It's easy to get down when you're not playing, but it's even easier to have fun when you've got a bunch of guys on the team that you love to be around and love to compete with. You want to see everybody succeed, and you want to be able to help out whenever your name is called. I've had a lot of fun this year."

Will James
06-17-2013, 04:36 PM
There is nothing "nitpicking" about responding to the fact that YOU would be a "pissed of motherf". AND you are wrong...."what Cohen has done has worked" in not only a ligitimate argument.....it is the ONLY thing that matters.

So you would be all smiles all year just riding the pine? I'm not talking about this point in time I'm talking I'd be pissed all year if I was riding pine after being the team's second best hitter.

Do you not see a difference, not talking being pissed TODAY just over the season.

Who gives us the best chance to win? Detz 3B-Porter DH.. Frost 3B-Detz DH.. or Detz 3B-Armstrong DH. This whole point is academic in itself since we dont actually control the lineup here at Elitedawgs, but "what Cohen has done has worked" is bullshit in an argument and weak minded to boot. Have an original thought and tell me why Porter shouldn't be playing just for debate's sake.

sleepy dawg
06-17-2013, 04:44 PM
It's hard to take someone serious when they say they're mad about something, and have an Eric Cartman avatar.

Goat Holder
06-17-2013, 04:45 PM
On the surface it seems that Detz/Porter is most definitely better but Frost is hitting .293 to Porter's .250. Similar at-bat and start numbers. And an almost .1 points higher OBP. And he's apparently a better defender than Detz (although I'm not sure I buy this).

Bo Darville
06-17-2013, 05:26 PM
No shit guy, my point was a season long point. Can't have a discussion without the nitpickers coming out I reckon. "So far what Cohen has done has worked" is not an argument. It's not like I'm blowing up the lineup dunce, just swapping the DH. But even that discussion is over your head I guess Lenny. I want the best chance to get those four freaking wins.

I understand that discussing Porter playing/not playing is a valid discussion and has merit on both sides. I think it is fair to discuss that. I think we all want the best players to play and the best chance to win.

But "I would be a pissed of motherf..." when we are 4 wins from a championship? I don't see your point at all. If people are pissed over playing time, now is not the time for them to throw a tantrum. If a guy walked into Cohen's hotel room this morning and started bitching about not getting enough at-bats, I would send his ass back to Starkville on a bus. Now is not the time to be "a pissed off motherf...."

Will James
06-17-2013, 05:28 PM
On the surface it seems that Detz/Porter is most definitely better but Frost is hitting .293 to Porter's .250. Similar at-bat and start numbers. And an almost .1 points higher OBP. And he's apparently a better defender than Detz (although I'm not sure I buy this).

I'm glad Frost and Porter are the same age so we can look at it that way. Last year in their JR years they both were at .275 on BABIP (Slauter too actually).

Porter still managed a wOBA* of .348 good for 2nd best on the team. Frost was at .275. Thats a 75 pt difference, huge. And Porter proved that he was the real deal, not inflated by "luck" aka BABIP. Norris seemed to have a decent year but he had a BABIP of .378 really high, so a dropoff this year wasnt that crazy.

Porter this year is sporting a low .271 BABIP where Frost is up there at .360. Fast guys should naturally have higher BABIP's but this is a big difference and is why Porter has seemed to struggle this year. The team BABIP is .345. Porter has been unlucky. BABIP is great for projecting forward and based on a low one, and seeing what I saw last year, Porter is my pick going forward to provide the most production.

*wOBA - best offensive result measurement. Combines SLG and OBP using weights.
http://www.fangraphs.com/library/offense/woba/

Will James
06-17-2013, 05:31 PM
But "I would be a pissed of motherf..." when we are 4 wins from a championship?

Are you illiterate? Can you not distinguish that me being pissed was obviously talking about the season in general not at this point today.

Original48
06-17-2013, 05:46 PM
I'm a Trey Porter guy. I really wish he had been given more opportunities this year. Its just hard to fathom him leading our team in most offensive categories last year and then falling off the map. Cohen is THE MAN. I trumpeted his hire and hope he's our guy for years to come. Recruiting is about to reach rediculous status if he keeps up this pace. Along with that, I just wouldn't mind seeing Porter DH..even vs lefties..than put a DH in the 9 hole who mostly bunts.

Goat Holder
06-17-2013, 05:47 PM
TR-Ameritrade being the anti-HR park that it is may play into it. But he's sat Porter all year. Who really knows. If I was Porter, I may selfishly be a little pissed off, but this is college baseball, this ain't high school shit where you're trying to look cool in front of girls by playing/starting. Porter isn't MLB material, so for him this is it. Yeah I'm sure he wants to play but he's still a part of the team and most likely is a big MSU fan in general. It's win/win.

PMDawg
06-17-2013, 05:50 PM
I'm glad Frost and Porter are the same age so we can look at it that way. Last year in their JR years they both were at .275 on BABIP (Slauter too actually).

Porter still managed a wOBA* of .348 good for 2nd best on the team. Frost was at .275. Thats a 75 pt difference, huge. And Porter proved that he was the real deal, not inflated by "luck" aka BABIP. Norris seemed to have a decent year but he had a BABIP of .378 really high, so a dropoff this year wasnt that crazy.

Porter this year is sporting a low .271 BABIP where Frost is up there at .360. Fast guys should naturally have higher BABIP's but this is a big difference and is why Porter has seemed to struggle this year. The team BABIP is .345. Porter has been unlucky. BABIP is great for projecting forward and based on a low one, and seeing what I saw last year, Porter is my pick going forward to provide the most production.

*wOBA - best offensive result measurement. Combines SLG and OBP using weights.
http://www.fangraphs.com/library/offense/woba/

I don't want to pile on you at this point bc I agree porter over Armstrong should be a no brainer. However, at this point in the season, I actually want the luckiest guy out there on the field. Not the bad luck guy we hope is about to start getting some good bounces. It's going to take some luck to win four more games.

Will James
06-17-2013, 05:57 PM
I don't want to pile on you at this point bc I agree porter over Armstrong should be a no brainer. However, at this point in the season, I actually want the luckiest guy out there on the field. Not the bad luck guy we hope is about to start getting some good bounces. It's going to take some luck to win four more games.

You do realize the law of averages means Porter should be the luckiest of the two going forward.

Will James
06-17-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm a Trey Porter guy. I really wish he had been given more opportunities this year. Its just hard to fathom him leading our team in most offensive categories last year and then falling off the map. Cohen is THE MAN. I trumpeted his hire and hope he's our guy for years to come. Recruiting is about to reach rediculous status if he keeps up this pace. Along with that, I just wouldn't mind seeing Porter DH..even vs lefties..than put a DH in the 9 hole who mostly bunts and leads the team in strikeout percentage

Lets not forget Armstrong is more likely than anyone in the lineup to walk back to the dugout from the batter's box.

Todd4State
06-17-2013, 05:58 PM
All I'll say about Trey Porter is this- he is a walk-on that loves MSU and has always wanted to play baseball at MSU.

Bo Darville
06-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Are you illiterate? Can you not distinguish that me being pissed was obviously talking about the season in general not at this point today.

My apologies Will James. I assumed (evidently wrongly) that since your post was today that you weren't talking about how you would have been pissed in March but somehow happy as can be today. I also assumed that your quote from Porter was recent as opposed to a few months ago. Evidently Porter's quote was from a few months ago. I assumed it was recent.

Will James
06-17-2013, 06:04 PM
All I'll say about Trey Porter is this- he is a walk-on that loves MSU and has always wanted to play baseball at MSU.

Didn't he walk on because he's smart as **** and got academic schollies? Im pretty sure he made some national juco all american team. He was deserving of a scholly but with our limitations having him on academically helped

Will James
06-17-2013, 06:06 PM
My apologies Will James. I assumed (evidently wrongly) that since your post was today that you weren't talking about how you would have been pissed in March but somehow happy as can be today. I also assumed that your quote from Porter was recent as opposed to a few months ago. Evidently Porter's quote was from a few months ago. I assumed it was recent.

Dude you're willfully moronic. I guarantee he's pissed about PT all year long. Its natural. But he didn't show it at all THROUGHOUT THE SEASON which is why I was praising him.

Bo Darville
06-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Dude you're willfully moronic. I guarantee he's pissed about PT all year long. Its natural. But he didn't show it at all THROUGHOUT THE SEASON which is why I was praising him.

I think you are moronic. I agree 100% with you. I too am praising Porter. I am pointing out the fact that unlike Porter, Will James would be unhappy and raising holy hell. Porter is sucking it up and helping the team when called on and my hat is off to him. He isn't being a cancer by being a pissed off motherf.....

I'm out on this discussion. We've got ball to play and this game is big. We can all agree on that.

Will James
06-17-2013, 06:24 PM
If I'm Porter I would have taken my shit off in the dugout and let them have it about a month ago...he has been royally screwed over this year

Dayum man you are a shitty teammate primadonna. COhenz got us here doing it his way, I cant believe you wouldnt just sit on the bench and smile...

- Bo Darville

M.Fillmore
06-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Can't have a discussion without the nitpickers coming out I reckon.

Give it a rest and look in the mirror. You are the biggest nitpicker on the board.

Will James
06-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Give it a rest and look in the mirror. You are the biggest nitpicker on the board.

On facts and arguments. I love seeing, "you're wrong and here's why". I feel sad for those who's only argument is "Well Cohens an SEC coach and he's in Omaha so you're wrong"

Bo Darville
06-17-2013, 07:03 PM
I say we end this argument and go whip the Hoosiers!

Will James
06-17-2013, 10:02 PM
:p

PMDawg
06-17-2013, 10:23 PM
You do realize the law of averages means Porter should be the luckiest of the two going forward.

Yes, but no way to know when that turning point is. Looks like it was today, so everyone's happy.

Coach34
06-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Cant say enough about Porter- he deserves all the praise he will get from tonight

I seen it dawg
06-17-2013, 10:39 PM
The baseball gods were shining on his jackass tonite for being a good teammate. End of story.

Will James
06-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Cant say enough about Porter- he deserves all the praise he will get from tonight

And he better be in the lineup Friday

Bo Darville
06-17-2013, 10:46 PM

You're doggone right he deserves. He stuck it out and is getting what he deserves. If he had quit a month ago he wouldn't be around to enjoy the run. He's not a cancer or a primadonna. He's a winner.

Dallas_Dawg
06-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Porter manned the **** up! I guess that argument is settled. will James and c34 have been saying it all along. I was yelling at the TV to bring in porter

swdawg
06-17-2013, 11:12 PM
Um...those are facts.

"Well Cohens an SEC coach and he's in Omaha so you're wrong"

Original48
06-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Porter manned the **** up! I guess that argument is settled. will James and c34 have been saying it all along. I was yelling at the TV to bring in porter
Here's some reading you'll enjoy...

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?1766-I-asked-this-question-on-6pack-and-NOBODY-addressed-my-actual-question&p=13629#post13629

M.Fillmore
06-17-2013, 11:23 PM
Um...those are facts.

Some facts are inconvenient.

Also, he nitpicks on stupid stuff like "can of corn" for the last out of the OSU game. Will called it a "line drive". Hey, it went to the warning track and it didn't leave the yard. It sure wasn't a frozen rope. Who cares what it was. We won the game.

Todd4State
06-17-2013, 11:40 PM
Didn't he walk on because he's smart as **** and got academic schollies? Im pretty sure he made some national juco all american team. He was deserving of a scholly but with our limitations having him on academically helped

He was a second team JUCO All-American, and he made first team all-State for Mississippi. His only other offer was from USM- and that was to walk-on as well. Even if he had the IQ of a turtle, he would have had to walk-on. He is on an academic scholarship though.

Will James
06-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Some facts are inconvenient.

Also, he nitpicks on stupid stuff like "can of corn" for the last out of the OSU game. Will called it a "line drive". Hey, it went to the warning track and it didn't leave the yard. It sure wasn't a frozen rope. Who cares what it was. We won the game.

What the **** are you talking about?

M.Fillmore
06-18-2013, 12:03 AM
What the **** are you talking about?

Just quoting you. And no, I'm not the guy who made the "can of corn" comment that you went menopausal over.

Will James
06-18-2013, 12:23 AM
Just quoting you. And no, I'm not the guy who made the "can of corn" comment that you went menopausal over.

I am truly lost here? What am I missing give me a link or something.

Bo Darville
06-18-2013, 06:58 AM
Dayum man you are a shitty teammate primadonna. COhenz got us here doing it his way, I cant believe you wouldnt just sit on the bench and smile...

- Bo Darville (quote actually made up by Will James)

Aren't we glad now that Porter didn't "take his shit off in the dugout and let them have it about a month ago" as referenced in quote? Aren't we glad that Porter stayed positive and when his time came, he knocked the freaking cover off the ball? Something is clicking with this team.